Amtrak to Bayonne?

Cruising Gal

Hi all!

Taking Amtrak from Baltimore and then cab right to port straight from the train.

Should we get off at Newark or NY Penn to grab a taxi? I think there are some extra shuttles we would need to take from the Newark Amtrak station before we can get a cab so maybe it's easier to go further away to Penn Station and then cab from there? Not sure what and how to do it.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated!

Newark Penn Station it is. I just did this trip from Boston for the Quantum, but I stayed overnight in Newark and took public transit via PATH, light rail, and cab/car service to the port. Cabs were readily available at Newark Penn Station - it is a major transportation hub in that part of NJ.

Newark Airport station has no vehicle access. You MUST use the air train to go to one of the terminals to get a cab. Absolutely no advantage to doing that.

Any issues with luggage on the train? I am looking at the train from BWI to NYC to do the Carnival Splendor NY to San Juan in April. None of the trains have baggage service and the Amtrak web site makes it would like there is limited storage room in the cars.

We travel pretty light but will each have a rolling bag.

Thanks,

Chris

Each passenger is allow two carryon pieces of luggage, not including purses. The size limit is 28"x22"x14". They must fit in the overhead storage space over the seats. Sometimes, there is a small area in the rear of the car that the conductor will allow you to stack luggage in but it depends on the conductor and the number of people on the train.

I have traveled with 3 bags and have not had an issue...it's a pain in the rear getting on with all the crap, unless you have a red cap (which you CAN get at the downtown baltimore station and in Newark Penn station)

Do not get off at the airport, get off at Newark Penn Station....cab will cost about 50 bucks though you should be able to get a shared shuttle going BACK to the station from the dispatcher when you leave the ship....for probably 15-17 bucks per person...this service is NOT available for people coming in for a cruise, but you can do it to head back home...

They have to have some published limits so that folks don't abuse the amount if luggage.

Everyone always assumes that they can take any amount of stuff on a cruise ship if they can get it to the port, but RCL recently had to publish restrictions for the Europe to Brazil repo cruise - no washing machines and stoves allowed! That just speaks to how creative folks must have gotten moving stuff across the Atlantic.