Hobert car rentals

Just planning to rent a van for our port stop at Hobert. What rental company's are available the port? Do we have to go downtown to catch a rental car? Thank in advance from the locals for helping us out here

Sue

There are several car rental places within easy walking distance of the ship. I would recommend googgling Hobart car rental. We used Avis and the service was not great but it is certainly better value than ship excursions. Second time we booked months out for a specific car and got something close. We didn't realize that they opened earlier than the advertised hours so our car was given to someone else. The car we got was just unloaded of a truck and a bit grubby inside but we had a great day out and about.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

We too used Avis as it was closest to the port, very easy walking distance. We had 6 adults and booked a "Carnival" it was clean and we had a great day touring. We also got the added bonus of being up Mt Wellington and it started to snow - being from Queensland this was a real treat.

We've just got back from our cruise and used Hertz for a cheap day rent in Hobart. They are one of several in Harrington Street and have a good selection. We had a nice stroll through the Cat & Fiddle arcade and it is an easy walk from the ship.

Steve.

Unless you are experienced in driving on the left I would have another think about hiring a car.

Another option is to see if any left side of the road drivers on your roll call are prepared to do the driving, if you share a car or van. We did this in santorini, a couple from the USA were happy to do the driving.

Tassie roads are good but not wide open highways. It can also be quite tricky getting out of the city over the tasman bridge. Do able but for someone driving a strange car in a strange country added to having to drive on the left would be quite a challenge. I am happy to drive anywhere when on the left, no problem but know my limitations and driving on the "right" would be out of the question for me.

We have used both Thrifty and Avis in Hobart and found both to be very good. Avis upgraded us to as as new Commodore Executive which was very nice.

If you want a van it would pay to book as early as possible as they are in demand when a cruise ship comes in. Its only a matter of the driver and organiser walking to pick up the van, you can then come back to the port gates and pick every one else up.

Driving is easy in Hobart. ....but care is needed as if there are no cars around you on the open roads , overseas drivers tend to drift to the side they are used to driving on , and thats when accidents ,usually fatal head ons can occur.

Anyone know where to park a hire car overnight in Hobart?

We have two full days in Hobart on the Voyager in November, so if we hire for the two days will need to overnight it somewhere.

Thanks for all the hire car tips and the OP for starting the thread:)

Will just have to work out which company I can get discounts on:p

Chez

check out vroomvroomvroom for hire car, i am assuming its ok to post this info as it isnt a travel agent. Have always found they are the same price or a bit cheaper than any other company discount, other than the RACV which is usually the same price but a lower excess and sometimes they will throw in free 2nd driver or a baby seat.

Just tried a booking with Thrifty, using partners Virgin and NRMA, $191 for two days. I am a Blue Chip member with them...

Did a booking through Qantas Frequent flyer using Avis, same vehicle for two days $140, so it pays to look around!!!

These were for pick up Hobart City and return to same location the next afternoon.

Chez

Anyone know where to park a hire car overnight in Hobart?

We have two full days in Hobart on the Voyager in November, so if we hire for the two days will need to overnight it somewhere.

Thanks for all the hire car tips and the OP for starting the thread:)

Will just have to work out which company I can get discounts on:p

Chez

If you have a look at Avis, there is a paid parking right alongside. We dropped a car in there at about 6pm and picked it up again at 7am the next morning. I think it cost us $5.

Alternatively there is a lot of parking near the pier - if you park after a certain time it is free, but it isn't secure parking.

If you have a look at Avis, there is a paid parking right alongside. We dropped a car in there at about 6pm and picked it up again at 7am the next morning. I think it cost us $5.

Alternatively there is a lot of parking near the pier - if you park after a certain time it is free, but it isn't secure parking.

Thanks for that info, will check it out on the first day.

Chez

Thanks for all the great information from everyone. I think I have found a van for us at a reasonable price! Now what to see? So much to see and do. I think going to see bonorang wildlife sanctuary and Cadbury chocolate factory. Any beautiful beaches close by? Is Mt Field national park to far to include for the day? Thanks in advance

Sue

With such a short time in Hobart I wouldn't waste the time going to the Cadbury factory. Mt Field is a long way, up to you if you want to give it a try. Personally I would be heading to Richmond, then down to Port Arthur, then if you have time back to the city Mt Wellington or Mt Nelson - Mt Nelson is much closer to the city and I prefer it as you can pick out various places as it isn't as high so easier to see the landmarks. If time permits once you are back in suburbia, the botanic gardens are nice, battery point, cat and fiddle arcade for nostalgic reasons, Salamanca place. Doing the distant places first gives you the time when you are safely back in Hobart to do the closer attractions. This gives you protection if any hold ups on the roads etc.

Hubby wouldn't be including port Arthur if he was doing the planning, we have been several times and it now holds very sad memories for many Australians.

Wildlife sanctuary ok if its the only aussie one you plan to do but I personally wouldn't waste time going to more than one on an aussie trip.

Edited by Tara Jane

• 3 weeks later...
With such a short time in Hobart I wouldn't waste the time going to the Cadbury factory. Mt Field is a long way, up to you if you want to give it a try. Personally I would be heading to Richmond, then down to Port Arthur, then if you have time back to the city Mt Wellington or Mt Nelson - Mt Nelson is much closer to the city and I prefer it as you can pick out various places as it isn't as high so easier to see the landmarks. If time permits once you are back in suburbia, the botanic gardens are nice, battery point, cat and fiddle arcade for nostalgic reasons, Salamanca place. Doing the distant places first gives you the time when you are safely back in Hobart to do the closer attractions. This gives you protection if any hold ups on the roads etc.

Hubby wouldn't be including port Arthur if he was doing the planning, we have been several times and it now holds very sad memories for many Australians.

Wildlife sanctuary ok if its the only aussie one you plan to do but I personally wouldn't waste time going to more than one on an aussie trip.

I agree with Tara Jane's comments. Definitely don't bother with the Cadbury factory. Now it is simply a sales outlet with a video showing the chocolate-making process. Visitors have a taste of the ingredients. It is certainly not worth the time or the entry fee.

Port Arthur is great. Richmond is lovely. I like Salamanca Place & Battery Point in Hobart. Mt Wellington is great.

I like Mt Field, but it is a long way and I would put it further down the list of priorities than the other places mentioned. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller