Disembarkation Day:Port Arrival Time & Exit Cabin

qsuzi

I have two separate questions but both are regarding disembarkation day.

1. Is disembarkation time usually within 30 minutes of port arrival time if you are in the first wave of cruisers off the ship?. For our recent Veendam cruise it was listed as 8:00am and priority/self assist disembarkation started at 8:15am. Assume there is no delay for customs or other reason.

2. Must you leave the cabin by a certain time, i.e., 8am or can you stay longer? We were planning on leaving the cabin at 8:30am on the Veendam but our steward was there at 7am and then back at 8am with helper and came into the room insistent on making the bed but allowing us to stay in the room longer. We decided just to leave at that point.

Edited by qsuzi

You can remain in your cabin until your disembarkation number/color is called. Your steward may come in and change the bed etc but he (usually) won't ask you to leave. It is fairly common for the stewards to want to get a start on getting the cabins ready for the embarking guests. Same as we are eager to board when it is our cruise, those who follow us on the next cruise, as just as eager. :)

On the Noordam in January, I remained in my cabin until my color/number was called which was well after 9:30 A. M. (They were running late in disembarkation.) My plan was to stay out on the veranda so that I would not bother my Cabin Stewards with their cabin preparation. I had my carry-on sitting on the sofa, so it would not be in the way. My plans got changed, however. A crew member came along opening the veranda dividers in order to clean the verandas. So, I had to retreat to the cabin and join my bag on the sofa while I watched TV. The Cabin Steward never indicated that he wanted me to leave. In fact, I had to encourage him to "come on in and do whatever you have to do! I will stay out of your way."

For your question about the earliest disembarkation time, I cannot answer. My opinion: anyone who books a mid-morning, late morning, or early afternoon flight on that day is being foolish. They must enjoy ending their vacation with more stress than I care to.

I recently debarked the Westerdam in FLL. I chose to do self assist as I had a 9:45 a.m. flight. I was off the ship at 7:50 a.m. and at the airport (FLL) by 8:15. And our debark time was also listed as 8 a.m.

You can stay in your cabin until your color and number is called.

Many times our cabin stewards have come into the cabin to make up the bed while we were still there.

Disembarkation times all depend on how quickly the ship is cleared by the local authorities.

On our recent Zuiderdam cruises, disembarkation was running 1 hour behind. And that is because of so few Officials working at immigration.

There are several delay possibilities, the most common is that non-US guests do not report to US Customs promptly. The ship must be 100% cleared before anyone leaves.

The Veendam most likely will pull along side the pier at 6 am. Disembarkation usually starts at 8:15 am. This is a sample:

Medical debark (ambulance)

Isolated guests (if any)

Expedited disembark (carry own luggage off)

Suites/4-5 Star Mariners

HAL transfers (early flights)

Early independent

Mid independent

HAL transfers (flights after 1pm)

City Highlights Tour

Late independent

HAL transfers (late flights)

Post cruise hotel transfers

In transit guests

9:45 am All ashore - "Last call"

Sometimes the tours are called out of order, usually earlier.

David

So many things can happen on disembarkation day, that are totally out of anyone's control, it is best to not have an early flight scheduled. Usually it is fast and easy but...... We once waited over an hour while another ship sailed in and docked. They had a later docking time but had a medical emergency on board so took priority in positioning as it looked like we were sharing the dock workers who tied up the ship.

We once did not return to Port Everglades until about 12 noon. We had to leave an anchor at HMC the day before but they had tried for hours to free it. Many people missed their flights. DH and I, happily, had hotel reservations to remain in FLL post cruise. :)

There are several delay possibilities, the most common is that non-US guests do not report to US Customs promptly. The ship must be 100% cleared before anyone leaves.

The Veendam most likely will pull along side the pier at 6 am. Disembarkation usually starts at 8:15 am. This is a sample:

Medical debark (ambulance)

Isolated guests (if any)

Expedited disembark (carry own luggage off)

Suites/4-5 Star Mariners

HAL transfers (early flights)

Early independent

Mid independent

HAL transfers (flights after 1pm)

City Highlights Tour

Late independent

HAL transfers (late flights)

Post cruise hotel transfers

In transit guests

9:45 am All ashore - "Last call"

Sometimes the tours are called out of order, usually earlier.

David

I have two probably silly questions.....Does "In transit guests" refer to those on a B2B cruise and where "City Highlights Tour" is listed, does this mean a few tours are available for B2B guests or only those on transfers to the airport?

Early afternoon flights returning home are fine for most cruises, especially when the last leg of the itinerary is relatively short. In fact, that is what we always target and there has been little or no stress with this arrangement.

igraf

..My opinion: anyone who books a mid-morning, late morning, or early afternoon flight on that day is being foolish. They must enjoy ending their vacation with more stress than I care to.

One could point out that staying in a hotel post-cruise has its costs as well.

igraf

We once did not return to Port Everglades until about 12 noon. We had to leave an anchor at HMC the day before but they had tried for hours to free it. Many people missed their flights. DH and I, happily, had hotel reservations to remain in FLL post cruise. :)

I never knew you were on the cruise that left the anchor at HMC. We were on the following cruise which had a delayed departure due to your late arrival.

The Hotel manager was telling us Seattle wanted them to head for Fort Lauderdale dragging the anchor. That would have taken forever and the Captain vetoed that idea.

To this date, the anchor still remains off the coast of HMC. HAL feels it's not worth the expense to salvage it.

If you're using express disembarkation you can plan on disembarking the ship between 7-8 AM. On our last cruise, we were off at 7:15 and a beach area hotel in Fort Lauderdale at 7:30.

>>>>>

Edited by Typhoon1

Good for you! But, can one count on it?

Definitely not. When travelling, whether by land, sea or air, one can hope for the best and plan for the worst. I always have a back up plan in place in the event things go awry.

On the Noordam in January, I remained in my cabin until my color/number was called which was well after 9:30 A. M. (They were running late in disembarkation.) My plan was to stay out on the veranda so that I would not bother my Cabin Stewards with their cabin preparation. I had my carry-on sitting on the sofa, so it would not be in the way. My plans got changed, however. A crew member came along opening the veranda dividers in order to clean the verandas. So, I had to retreat to the cabin and join my bag on the sofa while I watched TV. The Cabin Steward never indicated that he wanted me to leave. In fact, I had to encourage him to "come on in and do whatever you have to do! I will stay out of your way."

For your question about the earliest disembarkation time, I cannot answer. My opinion: anyone who books a mid-morning, late morning, or early afternoon flight on that day is being foolish. They must enjoy ending their vacation with more stress than I care to.

He wanted and needed you to leave. He was just too polite to kick you out. You were making his life very difficult. Being "out of his way" is being out of your cabin.

DON

He wanted and needed you to leave. He was just too polite to kick you out. You were making his life very difficult. Being "out of his way" is being out of your cabin.

DON

In that case hal shouldn't tell you that you can stay in your cabin until disembarkation. A person is well within their right to stay in their room until disembarkation.

I believe that the majority of HAL cruisers would prefer to have their cabins available upon embarkation. Holland America is one of a few who offer this benefit. Many other lines will not allow you to your stateroom until after 1:30 pm. I've never been inconvenienced by leaving my room early and taking my stuff to the Lido breakfast or one the atrium lounges.

David