Cozumel shopping questions

MinnesotaMommy

We will have a day in Cozumel on the Saturday before Easter. Was hoping some of the experts could give me suggestions on shopping. We are going to Chankanaab in the morning and was hoping to have time for shopping after we are done there. I know not to go to the shops right by the port - do I just ask a cab to take me downtown? Also, what time will the shops close up?

And what are the best things to shop for in Cozumel?

Just ask a taxi to take you to downtown, or the town square area. There are a ton of shops around and on roads shooting off of the town square. Walk off the main square for the best deals, and have fun bargaining!!

I like the hammock chairs (you can get them for about $20) and are a great gift for kids/teens. Tequila, silver (be sure you know what you're looking for) and lots of decor/crafty items. I love shopping in Cozumel. You just never know what you'll find. We stumbled onto an art gallery that had the paintings done on feathers. It was amazing and we all bought one or two because they were something so different.

Just curious, what ship you are on? Puerta Maya and Punta Langosta do have quite a number of shops. Some of the shops in Puerta Maya are outlets of downtown store, if you wind up not having enough time to head downtown.

And there are some Cozumel shopping guides on line you can get a better sense of the store. You'll get better prices away from the downtown plaza on a number of things. There's a hammock store on Avenida 5 and Calle 2 or 4 that carries good quality double woven cotton hammocks and there's a whole bunch of little places with not only hammocks but other merchandise to the east of the plaza.

Cozumel is not known for shopping. You are not going to find anything unique by going to town as opposed to buying at the pier.

The things to buy include:

Silver

Leather

Vanilla

Actually, I enjoy shopping in Cozumel. Lots of interesting little shops to explore in downtown San Miguel, and I have a few souvenirs to show for it.

One of my favorite places is Los Cinco Soles. Interesting pottery, some inexpensive jewelry, Day of the Dead Items, vanilla, tequila, etc. --and Pancho's Backyard if you want to grab a beverage or two. :D

If you want a neat shopping experience head several blocks into town and shop where the locals shop. Neat little Mom an Pop stores that have anything from clothes to drugs. Prescription drugs that is. One trip Ginger D, my bitter half, sunburned her, uh, upper upper leg. We shopped in some off the beaten path stores and found some bargains on sweats and soft pants.

We always shop away from the tourist traps. I found a music shop in Playa del Carmen that had Hoener Harmonicas for $10. The same one in the states cost me $30.

Be VERY, VERY, VERY careful. Two issues to be aware of. If not purchasing at a reputable retailer, you are most likely buying a fake. Just visited Cozumel and almost got ripped off. Purchase a ring for my wife that was supposedly a very good quality diamond (at Plaza Revolution on the main drag) - fortunately our ships advisor just happened to come along. He took us into a jeweller he trusted, who looked at it and advised the stone was a crystal and not a diamond and the ring itself was gold platted silver. We returned to the store of purchase, demanded our sale be cancelled and with the help of the police - it was.

Learned some things: If you are going to purchase jewelry ask to see the merchants business license and their jewlery certification, which by Mexican Law should be posted in plain view by the register.

Secondly, if you are purchasing from a cruise ship recommendation and the VIP card you get from the on-board Shopping advisor be advised: The shops will be reputable, however you will pay a premium as the advisor does not work for the Cruise line but rather a marketing company who receive big buck from the companies who advertise with them in the Port Shopping Guide and a kick back when cruisers shop using the VIP cards.

Thirdly, you can also receive the return of an 8% tax from the Mexican Government directly from some of the store (at least Diamonds International) just across from the International Port - but have your passport with you.

Hope this helps.