Black suit or tux

glennbtn

Matching ties to dresses, hmmm maybe I need to go shopping for new dresses to match his new ties :)

I bravely ventured in to the recesses of my wardrobe where all my formal dresses hide and realised that I have enough dresses for more than one cruise, some unworn with labels, and yes I can match my husbands bow ties, or clash well :). Next is the shoe hunt !

People pay 1000's on cruises but don't own a dinner suit when that's a big part of it, you can get them so cheap and you wear it 4 times so it's a bargain...not to mention when you go on the next one!

I got mine about 15 years ago and only wear it on New years eve and Cruises. I think it has shrunk a bit over the years. When we are on American Cruise ships, particularly RCI it is amusing when the American guests show their loyalty pins. I just open my jacket and flash the C&A label. Jees, where did you get the Crown and Anchor tux? :D

We are on a 9 night cruise - I will be taking my Dinner Suit, but will I need to take another light-weight suit or will smart shirt and trousers do for none formal nights. This is our first P&O cruise.

We are on a 9 night cruise - I will be taking my Dinner Suit, but will I need to take another light-weight suit or will smart shirt and trousers do for none formal nights. This is our first P&O cruise.

shirt and trousers will be fine. I have dressier short sleeved collared shirts and wear them with chinos. On some evenings I wear the navy blue trousers from my suit rather than chinos.

it also depends on the ship, if you are cruising on Adonia, Arcadia, Aurora or Oriana there are jacket required evenings in addition to the formal nights. Jacket required need a sports coat, blazer or similar to enter the main dining rooms and certain venues. there is no need to wear a tie.

Hi..........we're on a cruise in a few weeks & were looking forward to the formal nights. I have a problem. I'm waiting for an oesophagal dilation & can't eat much...........was looking forward to dining in the MDR but think now it will have to be the buffet. Just sloppy foods........

Will we feel 'out of place' if we're in formal clothes in the buffet? We enjoy dressing up but don't want to feel out of place.............

I'm still looking forward to the cruise but it will be different...............

My husbands dress shirts are very understated plain white with a plain panel covering the buttons (he doesn't want to wear studs), and holes in the cuffs for cuff links. The collars are smaller than his work shirts and the cotton probably better quality. No frills for him however the bow ties are rather less understated :)

that sounds lovely, have a great time on the cruise, and enjoy yourselves.

your bud

Hi..........we're on a cruise in a few weeks & were looking forward to the formal nights. I have a problem. I'm waiting for an oesophagal dilation & can't eat much...........was looking forward to dining in the MDR but think now it will have to be the buffet. Just sloppy foods........

Will we feel 'out of place' if we're in formal clothes in the buffet? We enjoy dressing up but don't want to feel out of place.............

Maybe you could sit in the MDR and have the soup course and maybe a sloppy desert? You don't have to eat all courses and some of the food could be suitable for your dietary requirements, perhaps request small portions? Especially on formal nights it would probably be nicer.

When is your cruise? Theres a rumour P&O are dropping the 'jacket required' code next year and there will only be Casual and Formal

No-one should make you feel uncomfortable if you want to dress up to use the buffet. Evening dress code on P&O is ship-wide (apart from a few designated casual areas) so I would imagine there will be some people dressed up to goon somehwere else after the buffet. I heard a lovely story about a family getting their dinner from the buffet and taking it out to the pool loungers to eat in full formal gear :)

That said the MDR might be a better choice as the food will be fresher and you can specify how you want it cooked. The buffet food will have ben sitting out for a while, and may have dried out. Nothing to stop you having two starters and no main. Or asking for something off menu. I say with a couple whose diet required fresh fruit salad and mint leaf tea each night, and the waiters were happy to oblige.

Hi Happygran

On our recent Oriana cruise, we mainly ate in the buffet. On formal night, I dressed up and went to the buffet. I wasn't the only one in my finery by any means. There seemed to be many passengers who used the buffet to ensure they got to the theatre in time to get seats, and I think also some who were having a snack to keep them going to second sitting dining. So no, you won't feel out of place.

However, you might also wish to contact P and O specials needs beforehand and explain your situation. They can make adjustments for many special diets, and you can also then liaise with the chefs on board. They will show you the following days menus and assist you in choosing appropriate menu items, and making adjustments to suit you. I'm sure they would be prepared to liquidise some food for you as well!

Hopefully your travel insurance is aware of your condition, and you have appropriate cover.

Enjoy your trip!

No-one should make you feel uncomfortable if you want to dress up to use the buffet. Evening dress code on P&O is ship-wide (apart from a few designated casual areas) so I would imagine there will be some people dressed up to goon somehwere else after the buffet. I heard a lovely story about a family getting their dinner from the buffet and taking it out to the pool loungers to eat in full formal gear :)

That said the MDR might be a better choice as the food will be fresher and you can specify how you want it cooked. The buffet food will have ben sitting out for a while, and may have dried out. Nothing to stop you having two starters and no main. Or asking for something off menu. I say with a couple whose diet required fresh fruit salad and mint leaf tea each night, and the waiters were happy to oblige.

Actually in my experience casual areas comprise all the evening entertainment venues, theatre, show lounge etc etc and sometimes almost all the bars! P&O have this devious scheme to bump up the percentage of 'formal' areas by counting 2 or 3 main dining rooms as seperate venues when in fact you get the identical menu in each :rolleyes: