Just off Liberty

Beautiful weather week. We had an excellent dining room service team. Good room stewards...they forgot clean Beach towels once or twice....no biggie. Did not do cheers package. Good comedians. Only went to one show in main theater. Not enough to keep me entertained there. We did sapphire beach in st thomas....bernards tours in st. Maarten.....kicked around port in st. Kitts....and cane garden bay beach in tortola. Beautiful beaches. Will share photos later...just ask if any questions! Sitting in SJU for flight to cleveland!

When we go to St Thomas, we always go to Coki beach as we have young adults that like to partake in the liquid refreshments and Coki can be very liberal with people enjoying themselves.

Tell me a little more about the atmosphere at Sapphire Beach please

When we go to St Thomas, we always go to Coki beach as we have young adults that like to partake in the liquid refreshments and Coki can be very liberal with people enjoying themselves.

Tell me a little more about the atmosphere at Sapphire Beach please

Sapphire is quiet. ..not overly crowded. There was a place to buy drinks/snacks. Not a large area of beach but enough...shade if you wanted it. Will post pictures as soon as I can for you.

I heard on here that there was some smoke Friday morning, while in St. Maarten. Did you hear anything, or did it effect you?:confused:

Yes...we were eating breakfast on lido before going on an excursion when we heard alpha announcements. Felipe made announcement there was smoke on the lower decks but to leave whenever we wished, and everything was under control. When we exited the ship there were fire trucks there. No usual photo ops at that time....some must have been taken later because I saw them in the gallery.

Anyway we found out that a bearing on a thruster needed replaced...also found that extra parts are always on board. [emoji2]

So no, we weren't really affected.

Also wanted to note that I wanted to book a cruise on board, but there was no future cruise desk. I looked in the area where it normally is, there was just an empty desk. Looked in the Fun Times, nothing. Finally did call guest services and they told me unfortunately, no. :(

We will be on Liberty 6/7 and was just starting to think about getting our own taxi or going through Carnival.

How was getting from SJU to the cruise port? Did you just get a taxi on your own or did you get Carnival transportation ahead of time? How long did it take? What was the cost?

Is there much to do right at the port in St. Kitts? I've been looking for things to do there, but nothing looks real interesting.

We will be on Liberty 6/7 and was just starting to think about getting our own taxi or going through Carnival.

How was getting from SJU to the cruise port? Did you just get a taxi on your own or did you get Carnival transportation ahead of time? How long did it take? What was the cost?

Is there much to do right at the port in St. Kitts? I've been looking for things to do there, but nothing looks real interesting.

Getting from the ship to the airport in San Juan is very easy. We took taxi and paid $25 (for 4 of us), part of that was an extra tax or luggage fee or something (didn't catch it). We were with another couple so it wasn't too bad esp. when you can split the cost! The ride was about 20 or 25 minutes, you go through the Condado area it seems to go quickly since there is a lot to see out the window.

At the port in St. Kitts, they have alot of shopping there, a couple of bars, guys walking around with monkeys that they want you to play with so you give them a tip, etc. You can venture outside of the immediate port area and go into the downtown streets. You may find some shops there but I wouldn't venture too far (personally). We shopped and then had a couple drinks at a bar right in the port area. They were good, it was their specialty drink, dirty monkey and they were good and strong. When I upload my pictures I will share pictures of the port area.

Edited by funinthesun1964

Will you be doing a full review? I have always enjoyed your reviews and photos. If not no problem. I fell in love with San Juan last November and since then have been dreaming of taking a cruise out of there, and that will hopefully be the plan in 2016, as a retirement gift to myself:D

We were on a B2B on Liberty in January. Had always dreamed of cruising on her, but didn't think it would happen, then we got lucky and got some great rates on both the cruises and air fare. I am so glad we went. I LOVE Liberty. I think she is my favorite ship! Glad you had a good trip also! ;)

I was also on the Liberty last week and while we had a good time, because there were 11 of us, and the ports were gorgeous, the ship was not nearly as good as it was when we sailed in September plus our room steward was horrible. Old cereal boxes left over in room, refrig with broken shelf and exploded pop he never did clean. He didn't leave the breakfast order forms we had to keep asking for them and we never did get the snooze/cruise hanger. Also, he replaced beach towels once only.

I am disappointed in the CL cutbacks. The ship did not have the mexican midnight buffet, the chocolate buffet, and Deck BBQ, the sushi bar or the salad bar on Deck 3 like in the past. They comedians were good, the other shows just so so. I loved the ports.

We did the Baths in Tortola, would not miss that. We used Egbert to get there which is a whole different story. In St Kitts we had a fabulous Taxi driver, she took us to cockelshell beach and we did a little site seeing with her (including Robert Redfords house). St Kitts is beautiful. In St Thomas we used Godfrey Tours and it was awesome, though we didn't have much beach time but the Banana daquiri and rum punches were great and the narrator was very interesting. Last but not least was St Marteen and we just did a little shopping on our own and then walked into town, less then a mile, no need to pay a taxi or water ferry. That is certainly the place to shop.

I think I may have some phone numbers if anyone wants them.

Will you be doing a full review? I have always enjoyed your reviews and photos. If not no problem. I fell in love with San Juan last November and since then have been dreaming of taking a cruise out of there, and that will hopefully be the plan in 2016, as a retirement gift to myself:D

Thanks for your kind words, I do not think I will be doing a full review, but have lots of photos and would love to share any that you ....or anyone else for that matter.....would be interested in seeing. I did promise some photos of Sapphire Beach at Tortola so for sure I will be posting those.

Anyone else with questions or requesting a photo of something....just ask. I also have the fun times from my cruise as well.

NOTE: This was a repositioning cruise. We started in Port Canaveral and ended in San Juan. So the Fun Times will be different as this was a different itinerary than the previous or later weeks.

For our pre-cruise hotel, we stayed at Cocoa Beach Hilton and I have photos of that as well.

We were on a B2B on Liberty in January. Had always dreamed of cruising on her, but didn't think it would happen, then we got lucky and got some great rates on both the cruises and air fare. I am so glad we went. I LOVE Liberty. I think she is my favorite ship! Glad you had a good trip also! ;)

We really did have a great time. The Liberty is one of my favorites also, and why I chose to cruise her again. The only negative I can think of is the entertainment. One night---there was no comedians...no piano bar...nothing. We found something to do eventually. I sat in on ONE show for a short while. Nothing spectacular. Some dancing and singing. There was a band there...not piped in music. It wasn't a great show. I am just not a "show" kind of woman. I do enjoy comedy club and piano bar (IF there is a good entertainer).

I was also on the Liberty last week and while we had a good time, because there were 11 of us, and the ports were gorgeous, the ship was not nearly as good as it was when we sailed in September plus our room steward was horrible. Old cereal boxes left over in room, refrig with broken shelf and exploded pop he never did clean. He didn't leave the breakfast order forms we had to keep asking for them and we never did get the snooze/cruise hanger. Also, he replaced beach towels once only.

I am disappointed in the CL cutbacks. The ship did not have the mexican midnight buffet, the chocolate buffet, and Deck BBQ, the sushi bar or the salad bar on Deck 3 like in the past. They comedians were good, the other shows just so so. I loved the ports.

We did the Baths in Tortola, would not miss that. We used Egbert to get there which is a whole different story. In St Kitts we had a fabulous Taxi driver, she took us to cockelshell beach and we did a little site seeing with her (including Robert Redfords house). St Kitts is beautiful. In St Thomas we used Godfrey Tours and it was awesome, though we didn't have much beach time but the Banana daquiri and rum punches were great and the narrator was very interesting. Last but not least was St Marteen and we just did a little shopping on our own and then walked into town, less then a mile, no need to pay a taxi or water ferry. That is certainly the place to shop.

I think I may have some phone numbers if anyone wants them.

Sorry you had a bad room steward. We didn't have the best, but certainly nothing like you had. We didn't receive clean beach towels on 2 of the days. Our friends didn't receive the towels on one of the days and called their steward, and they were promptly brought new towels so we could head to the beach that day.

I thought for sure they had the mexican buffet, I heard them talking about the mexican deck party so I just assumed they had the buffet. I didn't go for the party, we were in the comedy club that night. As far as I know there hasn't been sushi on deck 5 in years, the Taste Bar has been there for the past 3 years at least. And I didn't know they ever had salad bar on deck 3, that must have been before I started cruising in 2009.

Anyway, last time we were in Tortola we did the Baths. That was one year ago, so we decided to go to Cane Garden Bay this time. Glad I did, it was beautiful and we had a great time.

Glad you enjoyed your port stops also! Did you go the slot pull that the group set up?

Didn't do the slot pull...though I did plenty of slots while there, lost it all.

Went to Deck party thinking the Mexican buffet would be there, but it wasn't. In Sept last year they had the Sushi bar, they also had a chocolate bar that was huge one day and they had chocolate stands one evening everywhere. The Salad bar was right inside where they use to have the BBQ's, which they didn't have either.

Did you do the caves to Devils Bay....scary but so worth it.

On our Liberty cruises (and other cruises the past couple of years) the chocolate buffet is held at lunch (buffet) on the last day. I know in the "olden days" it used to be at midnight. Glad they moved it because it was too much that late at night. :eek: We were in 2 different cabins on each of our (B2B) cruises and both stewards were awesome. We actually met our 2nd steward on the lst cruise because friends we cruised with the lst week had a cabin in his area. They were both very good...but I don't think we EVER had a bad steward in all our cruises (knock wood! :eek::confused:) so I guess we have just been very lucky.

Didn't do the slot pull...though I did plenty of slots while there, lost it all.

Went to Deck party thinking the Mexican buffet would be there, but it wasn't. In Sept last year they had the Sushi bar, they also had a chocolate bar that was huge one day and they had chocolate stands one evening everywhere. The Salad bar was right inside where they use to have the BBQ's, which they didn't have either.

Did you do the caves to Devils Bay....scary but so worth it.

Yes, I did. I loved it. It was beautiful at the end! Totally worth it.

On our Liberty cruises (and other cruises the past couple of years) the chocolate buffet is held at lunch (buffet) on the last day. I know in the "olden days" it used to be at midnight. Glad they moved it because it was too much that late at night. :eek: We were in 2 different cabins on each of our (B2B) cruises and both stewards were awesome. We actually met our 2nd steward on the lst cruise because friends we cruised with the lst week had a cabin in his area. They were both very good...but I don't think we EVER had a bad steward in all our cruises (knock wood! :eek::confused:) so I guess we have just been very lucky.

I know there was some kind of chocolate table set out, our friends came back to our table with a couple things one day on the lido. They said they didn't see the fountain, however. I try to limit chocolate and desserts (I did have the WCMC one night in the MDR - and about half serving of other desserts)

funinthesun1964 did you take a taxi to Sapphire Beach? If so, what is the cost?

pittypat

I think it was $10 per person, each way. We had a different driver on the way back. The driver did say that he would be back at a certain time to get us, but he was late and we were more than ready to go. There were plenty of other people that needed to get back to the ship. No worries about getting a taxi back, though. Sapphire Beach is near the Red Hook Ferry place (if you know where that is). It is about a 25-30 minute ride, and we were in a van. They have some crazy driving there!

Okay, for those who would like to see, here are some pics of Sapphire beach. Not the best pics, but hope it helps you to get an idea of the place.

This is when you walk in. We were directed to walk along a path. There a some condos here, as you see in the picture. There was some construction going on in the area.

11101255_10153191927583958_1328878334426245625_n.jpg?oh=83fb5b4a7b4907e2920f0516a177c158&oe=55BAFF25&__gda__=1436805171_968633904b712f98eb7b22c964ebca56

The water and the area was just beautiful.

17087_10153191927878958_6698247210967528088_n.jpg?oh=09231c280d1d4965ec6de62d5ea2988b&oe=559EB6A0&__gda__=1433589214_6d9e41d0bef4cd0e6ab8af14671bdf80

10411747_10153191929148958_5897979844512007634_n.jpg?oh=f470c22e6b56792fbf2b177583346afc&oe=55A466DF

10390034_10153191930068958_544430302240670351_n.jpg?oh=ba9c0f8e85d72125f3d7b64ee16a3398&oe=55AE2E11&__gda__=1437187649_25c044124d749b34ffd1045ecf9fd8b6

11078067_10153191933388958_8273920208520847771_n.jpg?oh=5d22a229c6e8de97e344f4e0559a47ae&oe=55700845

10351260_10153191930868958_2519894995520229240_n.jpg?oh=e8746ffe6c6c0dc061f92a1ed045ea34&oe=55B20EA2&__gda__=1437005136_374b7924c111420905290a4f52cd6e6d

There was not an overly crowded place, but not desolate either.

There were trees along the back of the beach (not too far back) that provided nice shade if needed. Oh and chairs that you could rent for the day for around $10....not 100% sure on that price.

We were also on this cruise. They did have a Chocolate Buffet, but it was in the middle of the day, not at midnight like it used to be. Also, I'm not sure it was advertised. I did not know about it until I stumbled upon it. They had quite a few chocolate cakes, some fried things with chocolate, and a couple chocolate fountains. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, like it used to be.

We were also on this cruise. They did have a Chocolate Buffet, but it was in the middle of the day, not at midnight like it used to be. Also, I'm not sure it was advertised. I did not know about it until I stumbled upon it. They had quite a few chocolate cakes, some fried things with chocolate, and a couple chocolate fountains. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, like it used to be.

Yes, on most cruises it is on the last sea day in the afternoon - but in this case the itinerary was different with no sea day on the last day, so they made it another day. I just can't bring myself to eat any more chocolate after all the other foods, and especially now since I don't crave chocolate like I did when I was younger.