Hey kids, lets organize!

sandbag7

There has been much discourse on the thread started by Wendy Mommy relative to RCI's changing of itinerary without notification. While many express frustration with RCI or sympathy with the OP, others point out that recourse is limited by the contract prevelant in the industry.

A similar thread is pending on the Oceania board based on very substantial changes without notice to a cruise this coming November. This I found just a little suprising because Oceania is only a few years old, and from its inception has been somewhat sensetive to such issues.

Given the current strong state of the cruising industry, I think that it would be imprudent to merely change lines when a problem arises; this does not sufficirently encourage accountability. Rather I think we (meaning the 500,000 or so users of these boards) should develop a Bill of Rights for cruisers, and seek its implementation by the various cruise lines.

As an example, I think we should request that cruise lines "Use their best efforts" to notify customers of any itinerary changes involving significant reductions or revisions of port times and ports. The language can be agreed on later.... There are many other issues which could be addressed such as the rights of non-smokers and smokers (like smoking in cabins and on balconies). We could seek agreement of the cruise lines, and assess their implementation on a semi-annual or other basis. We could be a force for Good!

I would guess that this proposal would meet with little enthusiasm on the high end (Seabourn, Crystal) and the low end (Windjammer), but the vast middle of cruise lines might be sensitive. What do YOU think?

We are little fish in a big sea.

It is a nice thought, but it is a dream.

I like to cruise. (21 of them) If they change my ports, I will enjoy the ones we stop at.

I should add, they have changed the ports on us many times in our years of cruising. Some were good, some were bad. But, we still cruised and will continue to do so.

Most of the time things *Do* go as planned. When something changes it's usually beyond the lines control. It is in the interest of the line to offer what they promise and most do this admirably. I am not thrilled with the way Carnival has handled the people who were cancelled becuase of the Katrina thing. I think they should have booked them onto another ship without charging them even if they did it up a catagory or three but I am voting on that with my dollars and will not be sailing with Carnival. (please do not bash me on this one. I am all for helping Katrina victims but I think they could have handled that with more grace and looked like MAJOR heros and did not).

Archived