Tom, Rach & Rosso Go Cruising

Quite the advertorial.

Not showing the payment e.g. she just orders a drink at the bar and gets it, and the use of text messages in their likely location was quite misleading to the new cruiser market that it appeared to be aimed at.

I'm sure RCI provided Ultimate drinks packages for those three, and covered the cost of their Izumi meal. Drinks are very expensive on RCI compared with the Aus-based Princesses - enough to make us think twice about cruising with RCI again even though we loved our Rhapsody cruise.

Aren't some ships trialling an onboard text message service, possibly using the ship's WiFi but at no cost to passengers? I vaguely remember some mention of it somewhere on these boards. Not sure if it's RCI or not.

I was on the Voyager last month and there was not any significant on the ship. There was a couple of people waiting for the Flower Rider. No queuing for the rock climbing and I only ever saw a couple of people on the basketball court. Sometimes there was about a 5 minute wait for coffee at the Cafe Promenade.

On Rhapsody we often waited at least 10 minutes to get a drink at a couple of the bars - the R Bar in the evenings and the Solarium bar late afternoons. We actually had to build that into our timing in the evenings so we could have our cocktail before dinner.

I am in New Zealand ;) and the on-line version is geo blocked.

Fair enough. My mistake for not seeing your location. I watch these freeview channels via a downloadable app on my ipad. Do they have geographic restrictions too? or can you download the app and watch?

Edited by Team Alpha

Not showing the payment e.g. she just orders a drink at the bar and gets it, and the use of text messages in their likely location was quite misleading to the new cruiser market that it appeared to be aimed at.

I'm sure she had a drinks package or someone at the bar shouted her a drink :). And they likely had wi-fi internet, so could use an internet message service like Tango or the i-message app if actual SMS texting was not used. Or maybe the camera crew told her??

I'm sure the 'new cruiser' knows they will have to pay for drinks in some manner, just like they know they won't be having food fights in the dining room:eek:

Drinks are very expensive on RCI compared with the Aus-based Princesses - enough to make us think twice about cruising with RCI again even though we loved our Rhapsody cruise.

Haven't been on Princess (yet) but am interested in their drink prices - I read a recent review & they said spirits & wine were $A8-11. I mainly drink beer & on Voyager in Feb it ranged from $US6-$8 (including tip). I did get a good deal from the server on the pooldeck one afternoon - two draft mugs of Henekkien for $US7 (incl tip) - she even let me hold off on the 2nd one until I was ready for it "so it doesn't get warm" - thanks Ericka :).

Fair enough. My mistake for not seeing your location. I watch these freeview channels via a downloadable app on my ipad. Do they have geographic restrictions too? or can you download the app and watch?

I would think they would also have geographic restrictions :)

Also not everyone has a ipad or some sort of pad device ;) :)

Haven't been on Princess (yet) but am interested in their drink prices - I read a recent review & they said spirits & wine were $A8-11. I mainly drink beer & on Voyager in Feb it ranged from $US6-$8 (including tip). I did get a good deal from the server on the pooldeck one afternoon - two draft mugs of Henekkien for $US7 (incl tip) - she even let me hold off on the 2nd one until I was ready for it "so it doesn't get warm" - thanks Ericka :).

I'm not sure what the beer prices were on Sun Princess. Wine by the glass was reasonable - $6 - $8 for very good quality wines. We averaged $85 per day for both of us and were drinking premium wines by the bottle with dinner, from $42 to $66 (for a premier cru Chablis). We were very impressed by the wine prices on Sun Princess and were able to indulge in some European wines that are usually very expensive in Australia. Similar wines by the bottle on Rhapsody, if you could get them, would have been US$38 to US$77 plus 18% gratuity plus exchange rate so roughly AU$57 to AU$115.

We usually try for the 123 promo and book when it is running. And a TA provides OBC so effectively drinks are free. We've been on the larger sister ship - Liberty of the Seas and except for Muster we just didn't have crowd issues.

Quite the advertorial.

Yes I smiled at both those "issues" as well

Now waiting for any of the attractions and it seems like it's "all inclusive"

The size and scale is not for me but looks like a good family option

I'm sure RCI provided Ultimate drinks packages for those three, and covered the cost of their Izumi meal. Drinks are very expensive on RCI compared with the Aus-based Princesses - enough to make us think twice about cruising with RCI again even though we loved our Rhapsody cruise.

Oh, agreed that they would have got it complementary. But you still have to present the card to record that you have the package.

Instead the show made out like it's a Club Med or other all inclusive where you just order and get.

Aren't some ships trialling an onboard text message service, possibly using the ship's WiFi but at no cost to passengers? I vaguely remember some mention of it somewhere on these boards. Not sure if it's RCI or not.

Yes, but this isn't the case on Voyager.

As mentioned, it's technically possible but unlikely to be the reality here. Seems they just went to a script to suit the story.

Oh, agreed that they would have got it complementary. But you still have to present the card to record that you have the package.

Instead the show made out like it's a Club Med or other all inclusive where you just order and get.

Amazing what you can do with editing :D

Yes, but this isn't the case on Voyager.

As mentioned, it's technically possible but unlikely to be the reality here. Seems they just went to a script to suit the story.

Gotta make it look good to the innocent punters ;)

Even though it was a week ago, I remember it pretty much and enjoyed watching it! It also made my Husband ask questions which he hadnt been doing LOL - I have been the one doing all the research hahahaha. This just made me look forward to what I will experience on the Radiance. (yes I know its not the same ship and we wont have flowrider and the ice rink etc)

Not too long to go now!

Just saw the Media Watch segment about this show on ABC News24. It was what you would expect about 'advertorial' content etc but Cruisecritic complaints about the ship also got a mention!

Our taxpayer dollars at work once again. Have these dopes ever watched Getaway or The Great Outdoors or similar.

Our taxpayer dollars at work once again. Have these dopes ever watched Getaway or The Great Outdoors or similar.

Big difference between a regular travel program which necessarily reviews travel locations, to a program that advertises a specific product under the guise of 'entertainment.'

I'm not sure what the beer prices were on Sun Princess. Wine by the glass was reasonable - $6 - $8 for very good quality wines. We averaged $85 per day for both of us and were drinking premium wines by the bottle with dinner, from $42 to $66 (for a premier cru Chablis). We were very impressed by the wine prices on Sun Princess and were able to indulge in some European wines that are usually very expensive in Australia. Similar wines by the bottle on Rhapsody, if you could get them, would have been US$38 to US$77 plus 18% gratuity plus exchange rate so roughly AU$57 to AU$115.

The gratuity is already included in the price. Not extra.

Actually thought the drink prices on Royal were pretty good however the exchange does now factor in unfortunately

Edited by Hazydavo