Cruise Critic Needs Your Help!

Brittany C

First, I want to say I appreciate you tackling the subject of disable travel. My husband is paraplegic and it's our favorite way to vacation.

Why is there such a limited number of excursions for wheelchair bound passengers?

Is there special instructions for shows/events for handicap people?

It was mentioned earlier, but pictures of specific rooms to see if accessibility meets individual's needs.

Hi everyone,

I'm an editor with the Cruise Critic editorial team, and we are working on a number of different features called What to Expect. One of our upcoming features is about disabled/accessible cruising. They are organized in a Q&A format, so I'm looking to see what questions I can collect about accessible cruising (even if you already know the answer). Questions like: Do cruise ships offer wheelchairs or are there aids for the visually/hearing impaired onboard? Really anything that comes to mind about your accessibility needs, please post in this thread so we can answer as many questions as possible and share with our broader readership.

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

Hi Brittany

Most of the questions I see are for people who can walk a bit but use manual wheelchairs or scooters.

The questions/issues below are from the viewpoint of those who cannot take one step (paralysis) and don't leave their chairs at all, as well as from the caregivers point of view.

The items below are issues that my husband and I have experienced on our cruise but also in our land travel experiences. In general we need a few small things to improve our experiences.

THE CABIN - WHAT TO EXPECT QUESTION: How truly accessible are the handicapped cabins?

CARPETING IN STATEROOMS. A handicapped stateroom is carpeted - I am assuming that for those who can walk a few steps carpeting is not a big deal. But for us carpet means I cannot easily push my husband into the accessible bathroom because the wheels for his shower chair are too small and the company that rented us this chair doesn't have anything else.

THRESHOLDS IN THE CABIN. I could not push my husband over the thresholds to the roll in shower or to our balcony. It was not truly accessible.

CABIN STORAGE - a handicapped person must travel with a lot of equipment and medical supplies. We need improved storage for these items.

ON BOARD -

Will I be able to get assistance with my food? We found no issues with this. all personnel were more than helpful.

Will I be able to get around the ship? Some of the walkways in the cabin areas are narrow but can be negotiated. Most of the public areas are wide enough but entry and exits and restrooms need to have automatic doorways.

GOING ASHORE - WHAT TO EXPECT AT EACH PORT

TENDERING- one cannot tender if one cannot step into and out of the tender. my husband cannot take any steps. We need tenders that accommodate the powered wheelchair (which itself weighs over 300 pounds).

PORT ACCESSIBILITY - we need transportation that can take a powered wheelchair - fitted with a ramp or lift.

SHORE EXCURSIONS we need resources in each city/port that provides info on accessible tours, transport, guides, etc.

HOTELS- we need a list of hotels at the embarking and disembarking ports that are truly accessible and not just because the hotel personnel think they are accessible. This means each hotel needs to have measurements and specific descriptions of the accessibility of their hotel.

TRANSPORT - we need a list of accessible transport options for arriving, departing at each port.

SUMMARY

I have spent weeks preparing for a cruise to Europe and we still haven't been able to identify accessible rooms and transportation. I am very frustrated. It would have been wonderful if the cruise line could have provided us with information.

The cruise industry would greatly benefit from having this info available for its customers. This market segment is only going to grow & be more profitable.

Thank you for taking an interest in this issue!

Hi everyone,

I'm an editor with the Cruise Critic editorial team, and we are working on a number of different features called What to Expect. One of our upcoming features is about disabled/accessible cruising. They are organized in a Q&A format, so I'm looking to see what questions I can collect about accessible cruising (even if you already know the answer). Questions like: Do cruise ships offer wheelchairs or are there aids for the visually/hearing impaired onboard? Really anything that comes to mind about your accessibility needs, please post in this thread so we can answer as many questions as possible and share with our broader readership.

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

I'd like to know how the different cruise lines deal with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

-Can they board before general boarding?

-How are youth staff trained in the challenges of working with children with ASD along with mainstream children?

-Do they have ASD "themed" cruises where families can meet others?

-Is there someone onboard to help with questions or concerns?

Thank you!

Hi Brittany

Most of the questions I see are for people who can walk a bit but use manual wheelchairs or scooters.

The questions/issues below are from the viewpoint of those who cannot take one step (paralysis) and don't leave their chairs at all, as well as from the caregivers point of view.

The items below are issues that my husband and I have experienced on our cruise but also in our land travel experiences. In general we need a few small things to improve our experiences.

THE CABIN - WHAT TO EXPECT QUESTION: How truly accessible are the handicapped cabins?

CARPETING IN STATEROOMS. A handicapped stateroom is carpeted - I am assuming that for those who can walk a few steps carpeting is not a big deal. But for us carpet means I cannot easily push my husband into the accessible bathroom because the wheels for his shower chair are too small and the company that rented us this chair doesn't have anything else.

THRESHOLDS IN THE CABIN. I could not push my husband over the thresholds to the roll in shower or to our balcony. It was not truly accessible.

CABIN STORAGE - a handicapped person must travel with a lot of equipment and medical supplies. We need improved storage for these items.

ON BOARD -

Will I be able to get assistance with my food? We found no issues with this. all personnel were more than helpful.

Will I be able to get around the ship? Some of the walkways in the cabin areas are narrow but can be negotiated. Most of the public areas are wide enough but entry and exits and restrooms need to have automatic doorways.

GOING ASHORE - WHAT TO EXPECT AT EACH PORT

TENDERING- one cannot tender if one cannot step into and out of the tender. my husband cannot take any steps. We need tenders that accommodate the powered wheelchair (which itself weighs over 300 pounds).

PORT ACCESSIBILITY - we need transportation that can take a powered wheelchair - fitted with a ramp or lift.

SHORE EXCURSIONS we need resources in each city/port that provides info on accessible tours, transport, guides, etc.

HOTELS- we need a list of hotels at the embarking and disembarking ports that are truly accessible and not just because the hotel personnel think they are accessible. This means each hotel needs to have measurements and specific descriptions of the accessibility of their hotel.

TRANSPORT - we need a list of accessible transport options for arriving, departing at each port.

SUMMARY

I have spent weeks preparing for a cruise to Europe and we still haven't been able to identify accessible rooms and transportation. I am very frustrated. It would have been wonderful if the cruise line could have provided us with information.

The cruise industry would greatly benefit from having this info available for its customers. This market segment is only going to grow & be more profitable.

Thank you for taking an interest in this issue!

Great questions, Pacificapax! Especially about the carpet!

How does the cruise line accommodate adults with cognitive disabilities? Are there picture menus available for people who cannot read?

Why aren't there accessible and/or modified cabins that will accommodate a family of 4, one of which uses a wheelchair/travel chair? Due to the cognitive disabilities of 2 people, we cannot split into 2 cabins as some people suggest.

On the very long-running "cruising with a service dog" thread in this section, we have been discussing the need for a sticky which we are willing to maintain as a spreadsheet on the subject of "paperwork requirements to cruise with a service dog."

Caribbean islands alone vary greatly in their forms, fees, and blood testing requirements, but each one of us learns valuable info every time we cruise which we want to share with one another. There are also countries which do not permit some dogs ashore.

Please note that I am referring only to service dogs trained to meet guidelines mentioned in the ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 - which perform tasks for the passenger. (NOT "emotional support animals.")

Examples of well-known organizations that train such dogs are are Guide Dogs for the Blind, Dogs for the Deaf,and Canine Companions for Independence.

How does the cruise line accommodate adults with cognitive disabilities? Are there picture menus available for people who cannot read?

Why aren't there accessible and/or modified cabins that will accommodate a family of 4, one of which uses a wheelchair/travel chair? Due to the cognitive disabilities of 2 people, we cannot split into 2 cabins as some people suggest.

Sorry for the tangent to this thread, everyone. I just wanted to let you know the NCL Escape has handicapped cabins that sleep 4. They are family ocean view cabins on deck 5 near the central elevators. They are O2 class, rooms 5138, 5140, 5738, and 5740. They are taken quickly and need to be purchased early.

Good luck!

That brings up how this relates to this thread. It would be helpful to have a sticky/ spreadsheet that lists handicapped cabins on all ships, on all lines, category, how many they sleep, and any other pertinent information.

Sorry for the tangent to this thread, everyone. I just wanted to let you know the NCL Escape has handicapped cabins that sleep 4. They are family ocean view cabins on deck 5 near the central elevators. They are O2 class, rooms 5138, 5140, 5738, and 5740. They are taken quickly and need to be purchased early.

Good luck!

That brings up how this relates to this thread. It would be helpful to have a sticky/ spreadsheet that lists handicapped cabins on all ships, on all lines, category, how many they sleep, and any other pertinent information.

Thanks for that information. Looked up the Escape, but the price is out of our range, I'm afraid. The rooms do look nice. Perhaps when the ship isn't so new the prices will come down.

I agree with your suggestion on a sticky for handicapped cabins. Doing something like this would take a lot of work!

I would love to have more info on the ease of getting around the ship on a scooter. If there are lifts for the pools and hot tubs. How mobility accessible the shore excursions are. A separate section on Europe would be wonderful. My BF has MS and his disease is progressing but he still wants to travel without making a mess out of the trip and not be able to see and enjoy it.

Another search I have to make is the availability of a pool with stairs....so frustrating to just have to ignore some beautiful ships because there are no stairs to the pool.....I find much pleasure being in the water and it helps any pain I may be having...I will not sail on a ship without this amenity....yes I know about lifts but I am not comfortable using one...as in panic attack uncomfortable...hard to find photos that show enough of the pool to make an educated decision...

My son-in-law uses a power w/c, and can only be transferred using a sling & lift. He has enjoyed two fabulous cruises on the Oasis of the Seas, primarily because he can "drive" onto the accessible ocean-view balcony. Do other ships have truly accessible balconies for those in power chairs?

Mobility issues....focus from one who uses a cane not a WC....some ideas to consider. Would be nice to easily find information concerning the following

Transport from ship to outside port area. Long distances problematic

Busses with low steps....problems lifting leg to board as first step too high

Restrictions on tours reserving front seats for folks with mobility issues

Higher lounge chairs...with arms

Steps with handrails into pools

Bench in showers

Seating in port areas

Reserved tables in buffet area

Not using vans for tours unless operators provide step to access. Again it's impossible to take the first step if there is no low point

MORE HC ROOMS

HC rooms close to elevators

Automatic doors including public restrooms

GREAT IDEA FOR SEPARATE INFO. THANKS. LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SEGMENT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

We cruise with 2 handicapped people, both in wheelchairs (one brings a scooter and push chair) and one on oxygen. We have gotten to ports on Carnival only to discover the wide wheelchair would not fit down their ramp and mom was unable to get off at any of 3 ports. Very disappointing. We would not have booked that cruise had we known they used a split ramp with a very limited width to get off at each port. Now we are booked on a cruise only to find out that Belize tenders and that passengers have to be carried down stairs to get onto tenders. It would be so valuable to have a definitive list of accessible ports. Thank you. If we can answer any questions we will be glad to. We travel with a scooter, wheelchairs, walker, oxygen and bi-pap machine. We also have a very overweight passenger - but have no idea how to find a list of 'obese' friendly cruises.

I would be glad to contribute to your Q and A.

Why are there so few HC cabins? It seems they book early and if a handicapped person didn't book one someone else would love it.

I bring my scooter to cruise. How about one tender that could help us get to shore?

I would love to have a chair with ottoman but it dosn't seem possible. Could we get a few items to assist the handicapped?

Some of the ships have solo cabins, how about HC solo cabins?

Thank you and good luck

4boysnana

We have noticed that our accessible rooms are never in prime parts of the ship - they are on the least desirable floors, back in the corners, etc. Yet, we pay full price.

CC

My questions

Why so few HC rooms

Why so limited in facilities, ie I'd like a "Mini Suite" type cabin [not in a chair at the moment after 5 years using one] but most if not all have bath tub which is useless to some

I can usually get a balcony [as an example] at a much lower price than a HC balcony, because they classify the HC at a higher level. in effect I guess I am asking why aren't their HC cabins in every category.

For those who use a power chair or scooter but can walk small distances why aren't there storage places on each floor with power to charge so you can park and make your way to your non HC cabin

Why oh why are all the seats so low.

ORIGINATING POST:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

Just a reminder. This thread is intended to provide information about accomodations made and not made on board. Several posts that were not consistent with the originating post have been removed. Edited by Host Walt

• 2 weeks later...

Great Questions and information here.

Problems with getting around the corridors with plates and ice buckets etc littering the floor. Realize the Cleaning staff have to be there they are not the issue but the careless cruisers who leave Beer Bottles etc. on the floor so we trip over them as it is hard too move around as it is. Been fortunate the wait staff in the MDR on the RCCL have been very helpful with helping to carry things to and from the Table.

Also one of the reasons we like the dining room for lunch on the RCCL is that you can order and your meal is delivered to you.

Edited by Folk Singer

Please remember those with COPD/emphysema in your article.

How can I get oxygen on board? Do I have to bring tanks? Do ships allow oxygen tanks on board?

I can't walk very far. Can I get a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation only?

I can't stand for very long, do I have to attend the Muster Drill on deck?

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

Hi Brittany,

I have been giving some thought to your post, to me it is very important to disabled cruisers that issues need to be raised to cruise lines and this is one way that people can get their views over.

I do think that cruise lines need to really start at basics when considering disabled customers, far too often ship designs are more style over usage, problems for disabled travellers are being designed into the ships because it looks better, this is more than likely because of lack of thought by designers but these problems can be overcome by a bit of thinking about disability issues.

Pete

What assistance is available to wheelchair and scooter users on boarding and disembarkation?

Are there stairs, ramps, or lifts (North American meaning) to enable mobility challenged guests to use pools?

I apologize that I haven't been back on this thread in the past month, but I have read each one of your replies and am touched by the response and thought put into your questions and concerns. I took them all into consideration for this piece, although it is a very basic Q & A about what to expect on a cruise ship and a bit about port for cruisers with mobility issues, hearing and visual impairments, and autism spectrum disorder.

I'm not able to respond to everyone individually (a Europe accessibility guide is a great idea, and will be suggested to our UK team), but will do my best to pass along your notes. I will post the piece once it is published on the site.

Again, can't thank you enough for the thoughtful posts and questions.

Happy Cruising,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor

We have only cruised on Princess but the number of accessible mini-suites with roll in showers is a problem. My DH really wanted to do a tour of the Med this summer, but we couldn't because there are no such rooms available on Princess ships in the Med!!! We need the extra space because in addition to using a scooter and not being able to step over a tub, he is also a dialysis patient and the need the extra room for supplies and space to work.:(