Cruise Critic Needs Your Help!

Brittany C

Please remember those with COPD/emphysema in your article.

How can I get oxygen on board? Do I have to bring tanks? Do ships allow oxygen tanks on board?

I can't walk very far. Can I get a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation only?

I can't stand for very long, do I have to attend the Muster Drill on deck?

MY DH is also on O2 now. We bought a small Inogen O2 concentrator that we bring with us.

• 3 weeks later...
MY DH is also on O2 now. We bought a small Inogen O2 concentrator that we bring with us.

Thanks, my questions were given for the purpose of the types of questions a person with COPD might have. I'm glad they sounded real enough to have you try to answer them. DH has a Respironics Simply Go.

My husband will rent a scooter to get around the ship. He can walk short distances. My question is: when going to the dining room or buffet is there a place to leave the scooter so he can walk to the table?

Hi,

I use a mobility scooter, best thing I ever bought. We have just got off the Anthem of the Seas and they have what they call accessible tables which are close to the entrance of the restaurant. I would ask them where they wanted me to park the scooter or they sometimes parked it for me, I can also walk short distances. The only problem that I found with the "accessible tables" was that they were in a high traffic area and you felt as though you were eating your meal in a corridor. We got around this by asking for a table more into the restaurant, telling them I could walk to a table.

The buffet is a bit different, I just parked it near to the table against the wall as out of the way as possible.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Like WhiteRose, I would like to know which ships offer captioning (CART) for the shows and talks. I am forming a group of hard of hearing people for a cruise this November which I am hoping will be the first of many cruises our group takes! Having accessible shows and talks will greatly influence these newbies for future cruises.

Want to echo what several have said about more info on layout and dimensions of HC rooms, including baths. Travelling first time with power WC and wanted to know where outlets are for recharge. Also config of bath important bec my chair is an extra 12" longer than usual.

Thank you for doing this

• 2 weeks later...

Are all places on the ship accessible?

Do they have accessible tours? For the hearing impaired? For scooters? Wheelchairs, Blind?

Are the elevators in Braille?

In the buffet are there seats designated for Wheelchair?

Do they have large print menus? Braille?

If there is an emergency is there a plan for the handicapped or is it up to their families to get them to the rescue vessel/boat? How do we access it?

Is there someone who would come over to help my Grandpa who uses a cane to bring his plate for him to the table at the buffet?

I'm on dialysis, is there a ship that does dialysis and will it be like at home?

If I forget my prescription can I get it replaced on board?

Is there a doctor on board who can handle an emergency, heart attack, stroke? Can he come to the cabin?

We have family members helping with grandpa (who had a major stroke), If we need food delivered from the Main Dining room for him do they allow this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As promised, here is a link to the accessible cruising tips article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1820. It's pretty basic, but as are all of our tips pieces in our "What to Expect" series; I hope it gives an introduction to people interested in cruising with a disability.

You all contributed very thoughtful questions, concerns and advice, and I will definitely keep all of those in mind for future story ideas and when I am cruising. For this piece, some of the concerns -- while valid -- were too specific.

Thank you for all of your help and support.

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

few years ago, my husband was diagnosed with 'renal failure' and is now on dialysis 3 times a week. Little did we know about the 'dialysis at sea' program until reading on CC. My question is....why don't the three cruise lines that offer; HAL, RCI and Celebrity, let the cruising public know of this. Granted, I know it is expensive; BUT, at least the information would be out there. The cruises which offer this are VERY limited and 2016 there are NO RCI cruises out of Pt. Canaveral....we winter in Orlando area.....have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. Just asking. Judy

• 2 weeks later...
How about electric doors to cabins. Swipe your key card and the door opens automatically.

Celebrity accessible rooms have automatic openings. All you do is insert your sea pass and the door (wider than normal) swings wide open. My DH loves them for his scooter.