Onboard Duty Free in cabin - is it still available?

optmax

Last time I sailed with P&O (three years ago), early on in the cruise there was limited 'sale' of alcohol (selected bottles of spirits) that could be taken back to the cabin.

Can anyone who's been on a recent cruise confirm whether or not they still do this?

If so are the prices still reasonable?

If they are then it will not be worth packing any booze for my up and coming fly-cruise on Oceana.

We bought a bottle of Bacardi for use in cabin on Oriana a couple of weeks ago for £20. It was a Bacardi branded product.

I think it was on the room service menu and we had it delivered with some ice. We do tend to tip a bit when asking for room service - £1 or 1Euro, largely depending where we are. I think that is what people generally do. There was also a fridge in our inside cabin.

Edited by tring

You cannot buy any bottles of spirits available duty free onboard to drink in your cabin you buy them and pick them up at the end of the cruise. The only spirits you can buy is from your room service menu through your cabin steward and these are not duty free and is cheaper to take a bottle bought prior to cruise in Tesco, Asda etc. or in port if cheap enough during your cruise.

£20 for a 1 litre bottle of good quality spirit did not sound that bad to us and seems to be similar to some supermarket prices we have seen. It probably depends on how far you are travelling and how much hand luggage you have I suspect. I would not have risked putting a bottle in a suitcase going out in case it broke and ruined all our clean clothes. We were in Norway so buying ashore was not viable.

We did consider taking a bottle we had bought duty free on a previous holiday, which would have been much more worthwhile - then we decided we would probably drink it at home anyway.

Edited by tring