Mini family Jade Review

bearette

Bearette...you are one amazing Mom. We took our kids all over Europe when they were young. They don't remember the trips but we have wonderful memories. I think children are the " ice breakers" in most parts of the world!.

We sought shelter in a McDonalds in Paris when soldiers, tanks and tear gas filled the streets. There had been a bombing at the airport...this was the beginning of the modern day terror attacks...kids were just thrilled they could eat at a real McDonalds!

Wow, just goes to show how comforting a McDonald's can be. Glad you were all safe.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Day three,

We slept in some and had discussed finding a very old restaurant in the Jewish quarter. We headed there on foot but stopped to take in the view in front of the Victor Emmanuel monument. It was St. Patrick's day so that may have had something to do with it but they were doing something as there was a lot of pomp and circumstance. We took some pictures and moved on since we didn't know what was happening. We got to the Jewish quarter, but after applying to the travel info we discovered it was closed. She recommended a nearby bakery with kosher goods that had excellent items. Particularly I tried a cream cheese style one that was one of the best I have ever eaten. I have no idea what it was because of the language barrier but I would return for one. My kids loved the chocolate one we gave them.

We started walking again toward the Vatican area and on our way there we stopped at a square where a market was going on. We looked at some noodles and other items, but I only bought gloves. We hadn't had coffee yet so we stopped at a restaurant there and had some. We also treated the kids to a hot chocolate to share. They mostly made a mess, but they loved it.

Rejuvenated we headed towards the Castel Saint Angelo. We stopped at a few churches on the way and found some shortstop the kids in a random shop. We were at the Castel earlier but had a little wait. We were in by noon, but had to leave the stroller in a locker room, unguarded. You couldn't utilize it well anyway as there were a lot of stairs. My son was tired but we pushed him through by letting him bring his blanket and carrying him a lot. Thank you to the people who handed me the blanket he dropped several times... It was sprinkling a little today but not as bad as the day before so we went in and out depending on the weather in and outside the building. We let them run around a little and photo bomb a few photos before we forced them to let us take some pictures. (For those who were wondering the number code worked on my missing Roma pass as well without the card so I could get the discounted ticket).

By 1:30 we were tired and hungry so after filling our water bottle, those ancient water fountain are so cool and a highlight for a toddler to drink from, we set them up in their stroller for a nap. We walked over just to view the Vatican, but the saint Peters line let us know we would wait until our times ticket after the cruise to see it. The kids fast asleep we headed into Rome and out of the Vatican. We meandered down a shopping street and along the water before we decided food was necessary. I was ready to kill.My husband and I was starving and while the kids napped for almost two hours all we did was walk...

We ended up at a random fast food style place which was just ok and a little more then it should have been. As it was by the aboriginal Rome entrance gates I figure it was the location, but I was finding nothing on the shopping street. Once again walk another few blocks away for better prices and quality. The expensive gelato was still good here that we took to go, to eat in front of the fountains and original gates. We let the kids chase birds and eat ice cream for a while before we decided to go south to San Giovanni on the metro.

Now here they didn't let me use the code though I tried. They also happened to be checking tickets at the entrance so I got stopped and was told without the card I had to but a ticket. I was annoyed I had lost it, but I was solely to blame and I lucked out in that he didn't give me a ticket. I think having the two booklets helped since they knew I had bought one. He did make me buy the 1.5 Euro ticket. Evidently cute kids can't get you everything.

We were done with the Roma pass and while he had been handy, we ended up paying more for it then the tickets would have cost. It was convenient but so was walking with the stroller. After my experience losing it I would recommend skipping it so you don't have to concern yourself with it.

We decided since we were so close we would go into the WW II museum. It was one the second story US and third. It was nice to pop in but little signage and not much too it. Seeing the original cells were interesting. The kids were naughty so we only lasted about 30 minutes.

On the way to the church we passed a local bakery and decided to splurge and get the kids a cookie. They were very happy and it was only one Euro. Contended we headed over to the church. So full.of crumbs we dusted d them off outside and then walked around for a few minutes. They were a little wild so we ended up giving them our phones to keep them calm. A group of locals, it looked like a choir or other ceremony with young kids was going on when we got there, ended and they spent some time laughing and chatting with my kids who were happily playing on my husband's and my iPhone to keep them quite. Bella!!!

Then we headed to see the famous steps, and being non believers we just viewed the steps and took the side entrance to see the chapel upstairs. We took turns staying with the stroller while the other took a turn inside. The kids wanted to just play on the iphones anyway.

Needing a pick me up we headed back toward the Colosseum to look for a park we thought we remembered seeing. We got side tracked by a nice looking coffee shop/ bakery and ended up stopping for a coffee and treat for the kids. This ended up being treat day since the kids got a strawberry topped sweet filled with some delightful cream ( I ended up finishing it off, those things were heavenly). Then we made the rest of the walk, but wait, is that a gelato shop? Wait this place is cheap and it smells heavenly, honey stop! The best gelato ever was at this place and was banana. I got three scoops and so did the hubby. I let my kids choose two of mine,cookie and mixed berry. Mixed berry was excellent but I will dream of banana gelato until our next trip. We never did find the park and we ended up giving up and deciding to relax in the room. I was too full of sweets to imagine dinner. We packed up for the cruise and I started some more laundry while the kids ran around the apartment. It felt good just to sit down.

Next dinner, but I have to break to feed my kids dinner tonight.

That sums it up. I'm not talking about wheel chair access, I'm talking about generally getting around. Its semantics.

It's not semantics when you state that you can only get to dinner by using stairs (false) and when you claim that on most decks you can not access one end from another (false). Those are in no way, shape or form wheelchair/stoller/etc dependent things.

I have enjoyed so much reading about your trip!! It's our dream to do one of these cruises. Our girls are older 12 and 8 now but I remember the struggles of traveling in strollers, while potty training, scheduling excursions around nap time. I applaud you and your husband for taking them on such an exciting, memory of a lifetime trip! :) We hope to do a cruise with this same itinerary in the future. Hopefully sooner than later.

It's not semantics when you state that you can only get to dinner by using stairs (false) and when you claim that on most decks you can not access one end from another (false). Those are in no way, shape or form wheelchair/stoller/etc dependent things.

I'm not arguing with you. I never said handicapped or wheel chair accessibility.

For clarity: There were areas you had to go around or access via another area, which you can see on the deck plans. They comply with all ADA access... so now enjoy the cruise review without distractions.

I have enjoyed so much reading about your trip!! It's our dream to do one of these cruises. Our girls are older 12 and 8 now but I remember the struggles of traveling in strollers, while potty training, scheduling excursions around nap time. I applaud you and your husband for taking them on such an exciting, memory of a lifetime trip! :) We hope to do a cruise with this same itinerary in the future. Hopefully sooner than later.

Thank you. I read another review with older children and it inspired me to take a trip to Europe. I hope others can learn from my experiences and plan their own.

Now packed and hungry we ventured out for a late dinner. We headed down the stairs from the park (so if you are at the crossing area at the bottom of the stairs from the park about one or two blocks back from the Colosseum) is our favorite restaurant of Rome. It was called Pizza Luzzi, with a sign that said PizzaTrattoria in plain white. It was right on the corner. We just looked for something crowded and they stopped us and asked if we wanted to sit down. Unfortunately they were busy inside and out so no seats were ready. We went down the street, but the other places looked fancier so we didn't want to venture in with the kids so we decided any place that busy was worth the wait. We entertained some customers by the window by waving and making faces at customers who were trying to get the kids attention.

We had to wait a few minutes, but soon a couple was nice enough to move over so we could have a spot with 4. Of course my daughter rewarded us with our outside seat by picking up a water glass and missing the table when she put it back down. As the waiter said, it's ok, kids break things. They were really nice about it, and we ordered some bread and a liter of house red wine to make it better. This is why I recommend this place, the wine was 4 Euro for the liter. Yes, no typo for the whole thing, four euros. It was very good too. We got water for the table, pizza for kids and me, lasagna for hubby and a tiramisu for dessert. It was all 21 Euro. The service was great and the tables close together, but the food was excellent.

We made friends with the couple next to us so we ended up sitting there until 10:30pm with my daughter charming our neighbor by sitting in her lap and talking. This was why we like to travel. It was fun just having a pleasant conversation and a delicious meal. The fact that it was budget and kid friendly made this place my vacation dream. Find it and enjoy yourself.

The next day was cruise embarkation day, but we weren't done yet. We wanted to go to San Clemente to see the ancient temple and church ruins. We ran out of time the day before as they closed at 6 with the last entrance at 5:30, (and we passed at 5:40pm.) So we got up and ate a quick bite of cereal so we could go right as they opened at 9am. The place was almost deserted, with maybe two other couples after we went in. It wasn't very big,but very interesting. The kids loved the running water in the still preserved house. Miniatures were allowed but you could do a quick tour in 30 minutes. We did a detailed viewing in an hour with a walk back to the apartment. We had left the stroller so we could do a quick trip because we had to meet our apartment owner at 10:30am. We had just enough time to get a to go cappuccino and relax before he showed up.

That takes me to the beginning of the cruise which is where I started. I hope you enjoyed everything. If you have any questions I'll answer to the best of my ability. Happy cruising and planning!

Thank you for your review. I have enjoyed reading it. We are planning a trip to Europe next year when our kids will be 7, 6 and 3. I know some people think it is crazy to attempt these kinds of holidays with young kids, but we take the good with the bad. I am trying to decide between a variety of cruise lines and itineraries, so it was really useful reading your review.

We travelled from Australia to France and Italy when our older 2 children were 4 and 2. It was exhausting but we have wonderful memories from that holiday. We are hoping to include a cruise this time as well. We are spending a week in a villa in Italy and then hopefully a cruise. I am hoping my youngest will be toilet trained (like your twins!).

Thank you for your review. I have enjoyed reading it. We are planning a trip to Europe next year when our kids will be 7, 6 and 3. I know some people think it is crazy to attempt these kinds of holidays with young kids, but we take the good with the bad. I am trying to decide between a variety of cruise lines and itineraries, so it was really useful reading your review.

We travelled from Australia to France and Italy when our older 2 children were 4 and 2. It was exhausting but we have wonderful memories from that holiday. We are hoping to include a cruise this time as well. We are spending a week in a villa in Italy and then hopefully a cruise. I am hoping my youngest will be toilet trained (like your twins!).

I always get the crazy comments too but then people see the pictures and have nothing but positive things to say. I have told people who ask it is different, but it is fun in a way I never would have imagined before the kids. I watched my daughter play soccer in Morocco, my son drink Apple tea in Turkey and climb the steps of Notre Dame in France.

Let it drop. No need for all this false this and false that. I'm sure everyone got what bearette meant :cool:

Bearette fantastic review thank you. I had two weeks on the Jade last summer and did a few of the same ports - brought back some great memories :D

Let it drop. No need for all this false this and false that. I'm sure everyone got what bearette meant

Lately there has been at least one new thread a day where somebody is asking people to confirm some nonsense written in various reviews.

You can not assume that all readers would understand that somebody didn't actually mean what they wrote or that they were overexaggerating and stating their personal feelings or opinions as facts.

Let it drop. No need for all this false this and false that. I'm sure everyone got what bearette meant :cool:

Bearette fantastic review thank you. I had two weeks on the Jade last summer and did a few of the same ports - brought back some great memories :D

Thank you! While I didn't like the ship layout it didn't stop us from booking the sister ship the Jewel this week! No flying and the price was right. Obviously the layout wasn't a deal breaker for us.