Carnival Stock?

Galleon1234

Can Carnival stock be purchased in both of our names or does it need to be in only one name? Just wondering because I cruise more often than my husband and would like to be able to use the perk if I go solo.

Also, any hints on the best time to buy etc?

Thanks for any info!

Can Carnival stock be purchased in both of our names or does it need to be in only one name? Just wondering because I cruise more often than my husband and would like to be able to use the perk if I go solo.

Thanks for any info!

Yes, you can purchase them in both your names and you can apply it when going solo.

You can buy the stock in both names or separate. Probably best to hold the shares jointly for tax and estate planning purposes. You need to buy 100 shares, but right now the stock is quite high. The easiest way to buy is through a company that charges for entire stock trades and not per share. Scott Trade, TDAmeritrade are 2 that come to mind.

The stock HAS gone up quite a bit in past years.:D

There is only 1 stockholder benefit allowed per stateroom

If you had 100 shares and your husband had 100, you would need to initially book each of you in a separate room to get benefit for both. At check-in you may be able to switch people around between rooms, not sure.

Thanks for any info!

Our Carnival stock is jointly owned. I've cruise three times with my mom and received the shareholder benefit.

Also, if you book 2 cabins is the OBC applied to both cabins?

Thanks

We've book my husband and me in separate cabins when traveling with friends or family who have never cruised. We each submitted and received the shareholder benefit since we had different booking numbers. Once we embarked, we all went to Guest Services where our Sail and Sigh cards we reprogrammed so my husband's card worked for our cabin door and the other couple's person worked for theirs.

Edited by stargate fan

The stock HAS gone up quite a bit in past years.:D

There is only 1 stockholder benefit allowed per stateroom

If you had 100 shares and your husband had 100, you would need to initially book each of you in a separate room to get benefit for both. At check-in you may be able to switch people around between rooms, not sure.

They don't need to purchase 100 shares each if purchasing jointly.

Great information! So basically you could book 2 cabins and each cabin would get the OBC if the stock is in both names. Hoping the price of stock has a little dip soon with a quick reccovery:)!

I think the cabins need to be booked in each of the names independently.

Didn't know there was a benefit to owning stock...What are the benefits? OBC? If that's it, how much? Might be worth it seems I have 3 booked in the near future.

$50 1-5 days, $75 - 6 days, $100 - 7-12 (13?) days, $250 for over that

$50 1-5 days, $75 - 6 days, $100 - 7-12 (13?) days, $250 for over that

Slight correction - $50 1 - 6 days; $100 for 7-13 days; $250 for 14 +.

I was ticked off cuz of receiving only $50 stockholder credit for our 6 day cruise and then $100 for the 8 day of our B2B.

We booked the 2014 cruises on our 2013 B2B. We received $75 OBC for the 6 day & $100 OBC for the 8 day because of booking onboard.

By the way, there also is a $25 quarterly dividend for owning 100 shares so that's an additional $100. I've owned my stock since 2008 or 2009 so have received quite a bit of OBC for our annual cruises.

Slight correction - $50 1 - 6 days; $100 for 7-13 days; $250 for 14 +.

I was ticked off cuz of receiving only $50 stockholder credit for our 6 day cruise and then $100 for the 8 day of our B2B.

We booked the 2014 cruises on our 2013 B2B. We received $75 OBC for the 6 day & $100 OBC for the 8 day because of booking onboard.

By the way, there also is a $25 quarterly dividend for owning 100 shares so that's an additional $100. I've owned my stock since 2008 or 2009 so have received quite a bit of OBC for our annual cruises.

Thanks....Booking on board with stock options make a lot of sense. However, I guess I have never opted for that seems my PVP is awesome! May have to have a talk with her about the benefits of booking with her opposed to onboard.

Thanks....Booking on board with stock options make a lot of sense. However, I guess I have never opted for that seems my PVP is awesome! May have to have a talk with her about the benefits of booking with her opposed to onboard.

you can book onboard and your PVP will get credit for it. We have done it a couple of times and there is no problem.

You can easily, keep the PVP in the loop and transfer the booking to them, with ANY on board booking. They are just order takers, and don't manage anything after you leave the ship.

you can book onboard and your PVP will get credit for it. We have done it a couple of times and there is no problem.

You can easily, keep the PVP in the loop and transfer the booking to them, with ANY on board booking. They are just order takers, and don't manage anything after you leave the ship.

Wish I would have know that! Booked two cruises recently when the 50% deposit option was available and sailing out on another in June. Lesson learned I guess unless there's a way around to re-book the ones already booked. Anyone know of another option? Not that it matters but try to get any extra possible. Booked Breeze next year and Vista early 2017.

Wish I would have know that! Booked two cruises recently when the 50% deposit option was available and sailing out on another in June. Lesson learned I guess unless there's a way around to re-book the ones already booked. Anyone know of another option? Not that it matters but try to get any extra possible. Booked Breeze next year and Vista early 2017.

The cruise can be booked direct to the agent- easy if your current cruise was also booked by them.

Cruises can NOT be transferred after final payment, and you have a a max of a 90 day limit to transfer.

I redeemed $1650 in stock benefits last year, which isn't a "normal" for most cruisers.

I would agree. At current prices, it would cost about $4800 to buy 100 shares. If one cruises only one or two times a year, it seems like a big investment to to save a few bucks. I suppose the stock ends up being an asset, and as long as you don't take a total loss, you come out ahead.

A question I have, can you hold the stock in an IRA and still get the benefit? I would think so. Though in that case, one couldn't have joint ownership on the stock.

Edited by dioxide45

I would agree. At current prices, it would cost about $4800 to buy 100 shares. If one cruises only one or two times a year, it seems like a big investment to to save a few bucks. I suppose the stock ends up being an asset, and as long as you don't take a total loss, you come out ahead.

A question I have, can you hold the stock in an IRA and still get the benefit? I would think so. Though in that case, one couldn't have joint ownership on the stock.

Yes, you can own it in an IRA or any other type of account.

Just a note on the tax treatment - as long as they are MFJ it is not treated any differently if it is one name or the other. Estate planning will depend on the state, will, or trust.

However if you ever plan to file MFS it will go to whoever a social security number is on the 1099 when filing your taxes. Regardless if it is addressed jointly.

buy the shares now get a copy and send in to Carnival for which cruise you want the credit for. They will give you a credit on your account. As long as its at least 2 weeks before you sail you should be ok, unless something has changed in the last while. We usually send in our stockholder proof about 1 month before the cruise.