Neith Passover nor Easter on Sapphire

Nubus

Just returned from 9 days on our first cruise. All of the advice from this forum did help a lot, and to give something back we already scanned the patters and posted a review (which probably is in the pipeline for approval).

One thing that really surprised us and other guests was how they handled Passover and Easter. No decorations, no eggs, no bunnies, no special menus, no services (the Hearts & Minds chapel on Sapphire is now a shop). The cruise director couldn't even find a corner in one of the 5 dining rooms for Passover dinner. He did however reserve a couple of tables in the cafeteria/HC.

Is this really the standard for Princess? If so... are any of the other lines doing a better job?

Sorry you were disappointed.

I and my family were on the Emerald 2 years ago during Passover, and I arranged - with the Dining Room Manager and the ship's Chef, to have a Seder - and to have it announced in the ships daily newspaper. We were given a large Lounge and we had 55 persons attending. After the actual Seder, we were led to reserved seats in the main dining room and a Special Passover Menu handed out to all of us. I think that any special events have to be requested upon boarding the ship and if they require out of the ordinary attention, this should be requested.

Riki

Booked on the Emerald for May 23, 2015

it wasn't very good. We were disappointed- We were told that Princess would no longer offer a discount for a Rabbi aboard their ships-- a portion of the buffet was put asside. The food was absolutely dreadful. The wine, clearly stated "not for Passover use."

As a Jewish person it's my personal opinion if a traditional Passover Seder is important to you you're probably best served by cruising at an alternative time if possible. If not a possibility it's best not to have high expectations. Perhaps prearranging something as suggested by a previous poster might be a good option.

Other options might be to book with a group that will specifically make the seder a part of their plan or even a land based resort that is more likely to cater to Jewish clientele.

Just off the Caribbean Princess yesterday and had a wonderful experience for Passover onboard. We signed up at passenger services the day before. It was held in the Horizon court. The table was beautifully set with all the traditonal elements to do the seder. The reading of the Hagaddah went from table to table. Food was in keeping with tradition and very tasty. Can't say enough good things about the staff who made it possible. Job well done.

With Carnival Corp founded by Mr. Arison I would expect Princess to do it right.

As a Jewish person it's my personal opinion if a traditional Passover Seder is important to you you're probably best served by cruising at an alternative time if possible. If not a possibility it's best not to have high expectations. Perhaps prearranging something as suggested by a previous poster might be a good option.

Other options might be to book with a group that will specifically make the seder a part of their plan or even a land based resort that is more likely to cater to Jewish clientele.

Thank you.....you took the words right out of my mouth. I straddle the world of religions do to a unique upbringing. I do not expect my lent half nor my Passover half to be accommodated. Honestly if I did then my Russian Orthodox DH should be accommodated with his own unique calendar and specific blessed Easter meal. The world of expectations has made things extremely difficult on the cruise lines.

Maundy Thursday and Good Friday were both within our cruise. Unlike Christmas the Easter isn't a 1-day event. It is in fact a whole week and I would have expected decorations, special menu items etc. to show up.

The first Passover dinner was scheduled for Friday and as said... in the cafeteria.

Nubus, since you mentioned Maundy Thursday & Good Friday, most likely you're referring to the religious aspects and "Easter Triduum" in particular. Easter Sunday marks the start of Easter Week. Leading up to Easter Sunday is Holy Week which begins with Palm Sunday.

From a religious aspect, I cannot fathom exactly what type of decorations you were expecting. Holy Week and Lent are a time of penance and sorrow as Christians reflect on The Passion. And, in fact, on Good Friday Catholic churches are stripped of ornaments and "decoration." It's a time of quiet and prayer.

Others have mentioned Easter egg coloring demonstrations and organized events for children with the Easter bunny which is great; I enjoyed the Easter egg hunts as a child... on Easter Sunday. But leading up to it, the only distinctive image is a cross (not crucifix) with purple shroud.

Even today, for Easter Sunday, in the Catholic church the communion wafers don't taste like chocolate, nor are they shaped like bunnies or in pastel colors for the occasion.

Just off the Caribbean Princess yesterday and had a wonderful experience for Passover onboard. We signed up at passenger services the day before. It was held in the Horizon court. The table was beautifully set with all the traditonal elements to do the seder. The reading of the Hagaddah went from table to table. Food was in keeping with tradition and very tasty. Can't say enough good things about the staff who made it possible. Job well done.

Just off the Golden, we echo the above comments. We didn't even sign up, the Seder was simply provided in a separate section of the Horizon court. Also, on Sunday, the ship was decorated for Easter, and yes, there was also an Easter bunny,a cookie decoration station, face painting for the kids, and large chocolate eggs - for demonstration purposes only - couldn't eat them 😒

. . . Even today, for Easter Sunday, in the Catholic church the communion wafers don't taste like chocolate, nor are they shaped like bunnies or in pastel colors for the occasion.

Well, they're never going to attract converts that way. A few chocolate chips, some fudge icing . . . now you're talking.