Please post your planned or completed itinerary

AryMay

Since my dad has a heart condition, I won't drive all the way to Hana nor to the summit of Haleakala Crater. We will play it by ear when we get there. luau is booked so we could go to Lahaina early to relax too.

FYI about Haleakala from an earlier press release in case you were thinking of only going as far as the Headquarters Visitors Center:

"The Headquarters Visitor Center at Haleakalā National Park will close for two months while repairs are made to the structure, roof and entrance.

The closure affects that Headquarters Visitor Center only, located one mile past the Summit entrance at the 7,000 foot elevation, as well as the nearby restrooms, car parking lot and bus parking. The closure does not affect the Haleakalā Visitor Center, located 11 miles past the Summit entrance station near the rim of the crater, at the 9,741 foot elevation.

The facility closure goes into effect at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2015, with work slated for completion and reopening in late November 2015, according to a park announcement."

This is draft.

Day one: Daughter flys into meet us at airport. Then we all fly together a non-stop 12 hour flight. Arrive at airport, pick up rental then head to the condo we rented for 4 days. Once check in head to get dinner and early to bed with the time difference and the busy up coming week and a half figure a good night sleep after long day of flying.

Day two: Up early and head to ihop. Found a 24 hour ihop open figure a good breakfast would be a good idea since we have a long tour at Pearl Harbor (WWII Hero's) and then have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Once we are back at the condo maybe a walk on the beach or a swim in the pool.

Day three: We are undecided yet about what we want to do on this day. It's a toss up between beach day or hike Diamond Head. Later I. The day we have a luau planned since its New Year's Eve. And then walk down the beach and watch the fireworks.

Day four: Drive to north shore. We are hoping to find some surfing competition that day since it is New Year's. Not sure we're to eat for lunch or dinner yet. And then back to the condo to pack up.

Day five: Breakfast at Duke's. Walk the beach and then head back to condo pack up the rental. Check out. Head to Mike's Hulu Hulu Chicken for lunch. We saw this place on drive-in diners and dives. Then head to drop off most of everyone at the port and head to drop off rental, get transfer to port and embark the Pride of America. We booked the Italian restaurant for that night.

Day six: Road to Hana (private tour) with another couple for me. For our daughter, husband and mother in law they booked the Segway tour. Booked the Brazilian steakhouse for that night.

Day seven: Rent a car and drive to Iao Valley. That night we put the Japanese steakhouse.

Day eight: Doing the Land of Frozen Fire. Booked the French bistro that night.

Day nine: Mother in law and I booked Kona by land and sea daughter and husband booked Captain zodiac rafting, snorkeling, and dolphin tour. That night we are booked for the steakhouse.

Day ten: Mother in law and I booked best of Kauai and daughter and husband booked tubing tour. We haven't decided which of the speciality restaurants to rebook again.

Day eleven: beach day and last day before we debarked yet. Haven't decided yet which speciality restaurant to book yet.

Day twelve: debarkation day and flight home

Day one - arrive late afternoon and go check in at the Hale Koa. Go back to airport to pick up my friend who arrives at 8 PM.

Day 2 - North Shore with a stop at the Dole Plantation for sure and then the rest play by ear. Back for a luau at the Hale Koa at 5:30 PM.

Day 3 - Polynesian Cultural Center and then fireworks that night.

Day 4 - Embarkation on Pride of America and "unofficial" Meet & Greet

Day 5 - Maui - rent a car and head to Iao State Park and Haleakala for sunset

Day 6 - Maui - ?

Day 7 - Hilo - Volcano NP and the rest to be determined

Day 8 - Kona - Hook up with friends who live there

Day 9 - Kauai - North Shore - Opaeka Falls

Day 10 - Kauai - Menehune fish pond and Waimea Canyon

Day 11 - Disembark - pick up rental car and head to Pearl Harbor. Hang out till flights at 9 PM

We did a similiar NCL cruise 10 years ago and stumbled on a TravelZoo deal for this thanksgiving weekend. The package included flight and first nights stay in Honolulu. The hotel is yet to be announced. We have a car reserved at most ports.

1) arrive in Honolulu at 9pm and transfer to hotel, explore the neighnourhood to grab a bite before calling it a night.

2) OAHU, check-in at noon, explore and enjoy the ship

3) MAUI, spend the morning and early afternoon at Kepaniwai heritage Park, Hawaii Nature Center with a drive-by at the Iao Needle. Leave at 2pm for the drive to Haleakala (park #1) to explore the area and stay for the sunset. We plan to by the Hawaii Tri-park pass for $25/vehicle. We'll spend the evening around Kahului and on the ship.

4) MAUI, drive to the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary at 10am then travel on to Ma'alaea for our 12:30 Pacific Whale foundation whale watching tour. We may just hang around the area afterwards or maybe go to the Maui Ocean center or Bailey House Museum before dropping the car off at 4:30.

5) HILO, hope to drive 1 hour to Punaluu Black sands Beach by 11:30 and spend some time relaxing in the area. Get to VNP (park #2) around 2pm to visit the Jagger Museum Outlook. We've been to VNP before so 2 hours should be enough and have the car dropped off at 4:30.

6) KONA, we have a car reserved at the King Kam so once we tender to Kona we hope to drive the 40 minutes to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park (park #3). We plan to spend the afternoon there and drop the car off at 4pm.

7) KAUAI, drive to Poipu and hike the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail. As it's thanksgiving, nothing else is planned and we'll play it by ear as we don't have to return the car till late or tomorrow morning. We did Waimea Canyon and Kauai coffee plantation on our last visit to Kauai.

8) KAUAI, hopefully we've dropped the car off last night and will enjoy the amenities onboard and around the harbour area.

9) OAHU, get to the airport to pick-up the rental car by 9:30ish and head for the Dole Plantation for a tour and a "whip". Plan to have lunch at Giovanni's Shrimp truck nearby before heading for Laniakea Beach for the afternoon, head back via Laie viewpoint and stopping for dinner at KJ Grindz in Kaneohe. We'll head for the airport sometime around 8pm.

Edited by lamchops

How was the Roberts NS/Dole/PCC day?

The OP didn't answer, but if I was going to do a North Shore/PCC tour, Roberts is who I would use as a tour company.

But I wouldn't do a tour, I'd rent a car for the day and drive myself so I could see more and be on my schedule, not someone else's.

• 3 weeks later...
We did a similiar NCL cruise 10 years ago and stumbled on a TravelZoo deal for this thanksgiving weekend. The package included flight and first nights stay in Honolulu. The hotel is yet to be announced. We have a car reserved at most ports.

1) arrive in Honolulu at 9pm and transfer to hotel, explore the neighnourhood to grab a bite before calling it a night.

3) MAUI, spend the morning and early afternoon at Kepaniwai heritage Park, Hawaii Nature Center with a drive-by at the Iao Needle. Leave at 2pm for the drive to Haleakala (park #1) to explore the area and stay for the sunset. We plan to by the Hawaii Tri-park pass for $25/vehicle. We'll spend the evening around Kahului and on the ship.

4) MAUI, drive to the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary at 10am then travel on to Ma'alaea for our 12:30 Pacific Whale foundation whale watching tour. We may just hang around the area afterwards or maybe go to the Maui Ocean center or Bailey House Museum before dropping the car off at 4:30.

5) HILO, hope to drive 1 hour to Punaluu Black sands Beach by 11:30 and spend some time relaxing in the area. Get to VNP (park #2) around 2pm to visit the Jagger Museum Outlook. We've been to VNP before so 2 hours should be enough and have the car dropped off at 4:30.

6) KONA, we have a car reserved at the King Kam so once we tender to Kona we hope to drive the 40 minutes to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park (park #3). We plan to spend the afternoon there and drop the car off at 4pm.

7) KAUAI, drive to Poipu and hike the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail. As it's thanksgiving, nothing else is planned and we'll play it by ear as we don't have to return the car till late or tomorrow morning. We did Waimea Canyon and Kauai coffee plantation on our last visit to Kauai.

8) KAUAI, hopefully we've dropped the car off last night and will enjoy the amenities onboard and around the harbour area.

9) OAHU, get to the airport to pick-up the rental car by 9:30ish and head for the Dole Plantation for a tour and a "whip". Plan to have lunch at Giovanni's Shrimp truck nearby before heading for Laniakea Beach for the afternoon, head back via Laie viewpoint and stopping for dinner at KJ Grindz in Kaneohe. We'll head for the airport sometime around 8pm.

Just got back and this is what we ended up doing:

3) MAUI, spent the morning and early afternoon at Kepaniwai heritage Park, (Hawaii Nature Center is abandoned) and a stop at the Iao Needle ($5) state park. Leave at 1pm for the drive to Haleakala (park #1) to explore the area. We left before sunset as DW did not want me driving down the crater at night. Lots of switchbacks on the way up but the visit was amazing. We bought the Hawaii Tri-park pass for $25/vehicle. We spent the evening around Kahului and on the ship.

4) MAUI, drive to the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary at 10am then travel on to Ma'alaea for our 12:30 Pacific Whale foundation whale watching tour. We saw about 6 humpbacks with one spectacular breaching. We hung around the area afterwards using free wifi before dropping the car off at 4:30.

5) HILO, A late start had us going only to VNP (park #2) around to visit the Jagger Museum Outlook. We've been to VNP before so 2 hours should be enough and have the car dropped off at 4:30.

6) KONA, we have a car reserved at the King Kam so once we tender to Kona we drove the 40 minutes to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park (park #3). We spent the afternoon there and drop the car off at 4pm. The place was fanatstic with a public beach next door for snorkling. Lots of colorful fishes in the cove.

7) KAUAI, drive to Poipu and hike the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail. The 2+ hour hike was spectacular. Walking along the cliffs and seeing the views was a highlight of our cruise. When we finished the hike we hung out at the "fancy" Hyatt Grand Resort for over a while ;) before dropping off the car at 7pm and heading back to the ship.

8) KAUAI, It was "Black Friday" so we stayed onboard.

9) OAHU, get to the airport to pick-up the rental car by 10:30ish and head for the Dole Plantation for a tour and a "whip". It was a tourist trap but we hadn't been here on any of our other trips. Traffic was heavy heading for the North Shore as there was a surfing competition. We didn't bother to stop till we reach Waimea Valley where we stopped for a late lunch. The snackbar kitchen served a pulled pork sandwich on a taro bun that was delicious. We then proceeded to Chinaman's Hat and spent a hour there. At 6pm we felt we should get closer to the airport because of the traffic and stopped at the "outlet Mall" so DW could get her post Black Friday fix. We dropped the car off at 8:30 after driving around looking for a gas station. There not one within a mile of the car returns that I could find on my GPS.

The pace of our trip was such that we saw aome great sights as well as got some "rest & relaxation" before going back to work.

• 4 months later...

Exactly one year ago, I started this thread as I was beginning my research for an upcoming Pride of America cruise that we had scheduled for November. Plans changed and our trip turned into a March cruise from San Francisco as the POA came out of drydock.

Now that we have completed our trip, I wanted to come back to this thread and post our completed itinerary in hopes that it may help someone else who might be just beginning to plan. Although our cruise on the POA was a unique, one-time cruise, the ports and times were almost the same as the regular 7 day POA cruises. (Only difference is that we just had one day in Maui, rather than an overnight in the port like the 7 day cruises have.)

Just a quick background before I start…

The Pride of America sailed to San Francisco in mid-February to begin a month long drydock. During this time the plan was for most of Pride of America's restaurants to be redecorated, the Mandara Spa totally revamped, a new wedding chapel added and suites and staterooms to get new bedding, televisions, and furniture. I read as much as $70 million was to be spent on these renovations.

Our cruise was to have departed San Francisco on March 15 and less than 24 hours before we were to arrive at the terminal, we started getting texts, emails and phone calls from Norwegian saying due to heavy, prolonged rain in the San Francisco area the ship was not going to be ready and the cruise was going to be delayed by one day! We were already in San Francisco and were fortunate to be able to extend our hotel stay for one more night. Many others did not get the advance notice and had to really scramble to find a place to stay that night. (There was a very large convention in town and hotel rooms were scarce.)

So…our 11-day cruise became a 10-day cruise. Fortunately, the captain cranked up the engines and we were able to cross the Pacific in one less day and still keep the Hawaiian portion of the cruise schedule with no changes. Work was still being done on the ship as we sailed across the Pacific which was less than desirable but that is a story for another post.

Since these posts are going to be long and include photos, I will break them into one post per port. Here is what we did…

Kahului, Maui (8:00 to 6:00)

We were traveling with another couple and the four of us rented a car through Hawaii Discount Car Rentals (http://www.hawaiidiscountcarrental.com) This website searches the main car rental companies and lets you do a quick comparison before renting. They also have an app for smartphones that works well. You do not give a credit card number up front so for several months, I checked the website regularly and would cancel and re-book whenever I found a better deal.

One of our best finds was the app, Gypsy Guide for Maui (http://www.gypsyguide.com/destinations/maui)...a GPS based tour guide for my phone. I took along a cable that connected my phone to the car stereo and once we turned on the app, it became our personal tour guide. The app does NOT use any data but does drain the phone battery quickly so I recommend also taking a car charger.

As we would drive, the app would begin talking whenever we reached the preprogrammed GPS locations (there are a LOT of them.) It would say things like…”Coming up on the left there is a pull over that I really think you should check out. You should get over into the left lane now.” At other times the app would give us short history lessons concerning the island. The full island version was only $9.99 and worth so much more!

Since we didn’t want to chance the Road to Hana on our shorter day, we went around the western side of Maui all the way to the northern end to see the Nakalele Blowhole.

rMloO_pMz0SDUTzFhnw6R1nmsyeZro2AYkyNnrxqK7v3TdRs6Dpr0CAOpilU0f92BgvA4ejhaztOz-pXBappdXv-Rmni5opOPKUsrEscBajz5cTFqZqv25GU24ugg6TpxgoX7LuO3Kvt25YmSYx46KUVK3Xm7-gNs9UUsPO8eh_DIkOCDuQDFLe2tDnJX1sy4OqTGMB45MGNqo4IqSleRevHDFB-tOLPwCrQFBmDI5dH_kJqOqWSsqNuIoGKOUxJF6rZ81MM7h1gE_RV3_9wEMExHvhPzodG_iTWQIgSNCAkXmweFYOCjtFrVSh-mMPH8gqzQgMsODubWY5DgKA1uMSk920FZq2UDHJburkNw9kEwjCpdgTeOlJBLuyOW3Eui3jhftPFFZ-cI7a13P_HGw0PSVrtbV7PYXtoSX63cc0_yedxircdY-8KguPp3I4LQtSQ_Me0i4fzsIUm2ChIW55p9SQMcr0aY845n-db2WG-vd06ZAH7tryVvJWCYMkPvgVUb4oqhMgDS-hdTtX0b5HRtMlEf_t7iif6T4ACjv22zu1CfsfYGJ1_hRQzB2XrlrU_7A=w914-h685-no

At that point we turned around and back-tracked, stopping for some time in Lahaina where we shopped a bit and had some shave ice which we ate under the giant banyon tree.

WgwvRtl-OlLsHigfs8Uqxiv2zC28AoZw8tB9MjVJ8KZMnJcDL-MZe_ZSN8kiIxNLX-xyeE8_JK9Zr8dbYwWXOgS_96XIFhPzf44qcdB1JxJzAByqWD9sbfc-MYCgeJ88g-m7FJyFwp-F8TzBhHiOHnasmDfF32RGKNwzkk8lqnKkg9Xznc8eFQM37-mziCAwOQhpJpYVhHpdz9kuzlC9DCbJtkRDRnyygz02E-Pr_GpepTLPh_ZivBfkOFAnnO-JudKDwr1PjdP1t9QkVMQskRhrbI7Kmi69y0S1z-klnJGhjJNMEKBaCOHvkh-lK52DzuzCSwzZ4pmqYow4nBbHZa4A-U6ri1Tv85tZs2ynbj3B4vClWu3TVDooPCiw_GC9rA5F4IQNpm3aqypfyLGjt1YbXAPjou4rfyW47XWTZRRrJyXcQqSOA8FRU2NPLTgz7PR3RRypGc6uUsAXN58iLa-q-HV8xNGMiWEsLUz--W5DF4O2YRGaB30i9faoVjrZiM8eiPgPuDoft27DrUZK6rcXH_x9UmuTulE1E1hk7AfDkLdabae_sy3RGPkE8QhAw0_uKw=w514-h685-no

qh-DkOyX1jKnHAnq6gK6C8-WtAKqgNvhl-16Dl8fRVjMTSCU-rNOBDRbVZ_xkiFQN1wkaFZOkhBmHs8OEY5jBbE8A8D5Gzcc_0JIDGvAAUZ1O_h8r12A37DoOyKRSCEdCeZMV8m8WrGGFlwYz7FMkXUYAu1JFvY7i7cknwoot0coNfIj79DgWFccN_mNfRYZ3H26TVJfY5NJeaFXYUkBQ37-b10wSU-f9RJrCtuxgfJ-xC7REqMY0Qhw46GB-lDnHO8FbnbnksM03QmaE_QJnBNCRa5rYji0ED96_XbdgTxD8nEbBHeN71lY8m_HFj54xTLrurqzNb_syY1eLD9QN_roUzU23MXc86upJl23z7WMJ0NOcjXPxmHnOfN2ogQU8AFfC2ECO4tyC9FzH1CkEgrHGTE6koLg3u6PPP6O8Lukinv8iqfwYAcs6WQGZ-DW9d5ZMBawa_B4Z-kVxMIR5wK5VbI3eXxhmvMETjQEMSAtyKFx0CYGQCWPuuZGSsak-BPI_v2KJsYr7k5UJOIPOrdVWFWYFa0aG03AylX511uLiVObk2Dpzx397reGS96kHemivw=w914-h685-no

The coastline was beautiful and it was fun watching the surfers.

LwVaWLuq4XIe9mKCQn5j-0a1_F9Kx9I8HsswWZM49D2WOTcEl2Ha1X-K53IqgL2izhc93URGnKZr-1L3JvaNRoWVkAGSfpz8D7mZn_AyymjmUCKp13nn1e7-si9tHXdbjV1hwy_iKgO-bV3SptK4hOmyHnRuJVDjkw-Rp2fq_tC52tUtrBUBiyU9x0-px8MirRC_NbvHKvDMrM_HFqTdlFWEq9swRZXo57LBmcLuu7H4XTrF7E6jRVT5t8406wACGY_cLOSZH15YQQk36YmiuT9q30gyuClIcAzt9_1vcS6TDCz68RzsLX_ufIe5bRNHpY7rz8QG1RC_lh-JcM889zHZhFX_9qU4EJDRtLi0a2Jq9bm7XVMpHoFuUSGxCGJ-lSjtY0hCTpfO1TrX7YQhVO0CaTJEssS5AE9Ve0HMDiavuQtN2PCQbEqYNC7x1RFbwz7d_5tiYRFNzxxaqtlN_WPz2D447lNyPBmcvSRFJ65TA1YVaRTCYhz7yUbILr5PWDOWiswcFJBY4ilBYkdfEzw2hY1ynSG5ZgVuTKCCDDbDivplahB2J0VXPTUc4jZQMajjNw=w914-h685-no

hPqS3C6JhLr4zcAK0LiqcQzE1jckUHZ4fnoNbm0JEQgD7evct5Wx58x44HiLYvoa1MkHFe2NmeGPOO9BV7Ql4XnYMFr0nVE-iDr7kYuH8Ay7uIN7hDN8Uq5zdujaUPU2WqoPQCpPcxraTM7rrB1rJLRylvA1G-0X10QD612qLsqsvR8E5qrlacWvaX2_VqNLJQT6zdnOVRI_reafRgZwf-4NRKDAOO2oALl1IGdTHR3Sf26o8945k_LKM4IiL24o-rIaUvqlRkz0g9WzJLxe_HuejcOtQdHLWCoRMWb_U8P2kZXt13vAfUP_ElAAmRv1Px-AxGNL2Ezjn62nrhLDOrFIpo5SbMERTb-59fMjlxteFEbHdE2ciXrV3Xj7Odupz3YU3inymGDmpeiDW7NGGRj_jAvPZVI-BkaMvJMNOh7m5HPh7OXXrGS0Z7lynaGAowZM9KAYsxdbEEVyyBcMYIuoIglV4pzDLgi34jJcXZdGVPXkC_rO9GgSTAFLgjjFKC-8E_5whrlDpc2ojgbU_DlZ0yYxfFBwsCjQX9acGuaEYSFM38Ecr2mrzjOqKbVmAWT-PA=w914-h685-no

Oh…and we started our day a Iao Valley State Park (http://www.dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/maui/iao-valley-state-monument/) just a few minutes from the port. There are some short walking trails and definitely worth the time it took to stop here. ($5/car to enter.)

vujmVvDdyCpbjnvrb7ZBV5R67j-1h9ibqpmB6hetoojp1IswM_4rtnDPxPkEPpJjlo78cCSAutvNvB9dOjy6o1HDZ0L0p8qP5Hhi8nAMzvAbtLS2PBzwteXitgNyu1rfIs33RQZXq-OOQRRMd00deKeGRBPIUZbI7ewkxGFdObW6Lmuudip-rz3HM2-1sGgZPmTrql8xmxe9YP5Ca-JQNNC907bWjeY6V04FCfHvZRZ760pAFXDFtB2PFpkmUBlnMZh4HoLwIPjDifynWcAKTFMX_ccmQ4yK7cGl3Oc9dpGob6YX426z6g69DNz6MCCTAg3XPjd5kpLxyCuBo-10cRioo1CpFQd0Cfr1eDEYhyRVuSEHWbT1rf4tFsl9Mzdx-s-07UYAryBiOOjPYwxQO59rXyIyr094a55MT-XtxbEEz4po1YIgLNq--KDdGfpbMP_PxwcfsThrxUHSfiuWc5e3YzFg48A5FEtDk8F6EchCoyThTGNaA-uB179n3431WwNsTSaVxoRNChhn_ydqV3JzgDp5QSrlQPvxPnOJ5Q9sv61DGx5o0dfASk_1qywsEMYHhg=w914-h685-no

We had hoped to do some snorkeling (and had our own equipment), but we were running short on time AND parking was a nightmare around the beaches where we had wanted to stop. When we finally found a beach along the road with available parking, the restrooms were all closed due to a sewer problem so we had no place to change into our swimsuits. We took this as a sign that maybe we weren’t supposed to snorkel! Instead we wandered along the shore and happened upon a bunch of very large sea turtles in the shallow surf. We stood for quite a long time watching the turtles as the waves would wash them up to the shore and then carry them back out into deeper water.

Hilo, Hawaii (The Big Island) – 8:00 to 6:00

Our friends chose to do a helicopter tour over Volcanoes National Park (VNP) first thing in the morning. This was the port that my DH was most looking forward to so we rented a car on our own and drove to VNP as soon as we got off the ship (it takes close to an hour). Each rental car company sends shuttles to the port and it pays to get off early so you can catch the first shuttle of the day. Even though the airports are fairly close to the ports (except in Kona) if you miss the first shuttle then you have a little bit of a wait until they return for the next load. Some ports are more organized and keep the lines under control…others tended to be a little bit of a free-for-all where people were pushing and trying to cut lines.

With our early start, we decided to first stop at the Thurston Lava Tube at VNP. We were fortunate in that we were the only people there! There is a short, paved walkway to get to the tube which goes through the lush, tropical rainforest. The lava tube is a long, lighted cave that you can walk through…just a little bit eery when you are all alone! (Our friends went later in the day and couldn’t even find a parking place to stop.)

Oa_TgWd10m7ibNOlfAzQ0G7OpEXCmivfb7APTUyk6g8wItuDsX4Pr4MwKIjCjbiYZ9uN61SRufut4F_lL5kKG28kiZDH5KUccZ7Vj5wsf0u0ZVOH0bClUVLFrPDneFFOyB9RyYhfmo-cFtPhnrouMP3BIvNa37rDexiza2w8rjz22rM8njHSigqL3gpI3_yeUaUQnULrhx_XhwpV8I4W-D_rYzzLu3SS38Nv2njh8Ie3IdLlMO-wXKs1p08DJ1ffPQiHeU1Htud0xv3oqws3slt0-oYwsuHlTQ20leMcDEZWenVrXdHUoZrYJ0LtQP1d3CJRjM7GICAW9GbtXOewRj5BQweVrCjO5qzJda5XlYvfi2Nr5zjM5Y1Y_kKTQGkBLL648yz9sSGPT_VSHdw7KL5xDnoMC_UcJ5hFYR7TXIUXCTaZXY2Y597vc5GFeZJFWZm3YFrrZAidnS4-hSvJynuiHyC3PxiJBnF3hiL_Hj2ICUp4Ywa1scEIj5DQ3aXGVq_yHXag6BaI4DhPpVt7dV7jxRjIDMFixgIqP77OKWGmsSRcx0pxDrRKJfbVTw8op5lj0w=w914-h685-no

From there we stopped at one of the crater overlooks. Only one other car was in the parking lot and we ended up starting a conversation with the couple who were in this car. Turns out, the guy was a geo-physicist and an expert on volcanoes! From this chance meeting, we ended up spending the rest of the day with this couple as they took us to places in the park that most people NEVER see! My husband STILL can not quit ranting about how he had the best day EVER!

pqFxzZlFyAqWVVvWpAKL8-mLGJxh_YSynYAsBDvh67tTKTOfXy50KP8AN88ABOaaIQUU_cfMknjjnNIILfcpgSAySIOkDMFPkW_c3bsZ3jn06R2ExKaBgZPNGKKF6Ou-MO1b97Wf6xNqc5kiMJcvfzVlliqc6ZQjd5y6lHvrY_VV7YkZQ5nqXILk6j8Ga18A_uvfJiDRZwCmkyse2iVpFCDxHor0Ad6IvXjXGNgDCyh-DlAdCRYXkLNJMGqj4zo36uPdXqCa26-mtpgC2e6frvHu8KxXnZkqNVt7nqP_Yf-u7KcmooqcVobe3wm6ajmgC1B1E-l20LjVqBKJw5TNRiZAvHiidjeG9MAEXi4ln0WJxSCVS3dP0lCp-8QTIYXjG7Iu70Wl9QUbhWtqgr0dcVCU00IH8D8d1vTXA1-MgegL1J5S_B5ZHB6tbzrDcbkCTwXZdPDsJ-QbCEDrFxOAjQ-Me7zSIgCPTuU_79yrPZqANbufAsVlhpWjGZ-9eCeLGniHhh5CKQTqFRxfWju6T2ZiEUKioF5dkwB6Psp0dzS0IN3swmC1TfX-cSBkFwzjygt5Qg=w914-h685-no

SG7FnfCGh5Kg-hyLu7gxjIUNgXNILuHpKQMgyrsuHXr7FDVzrWk0D-x9oXqzNqj6ClFjYBzpUsrKB6UmnTvxqEuv6uKi-1w7_h6kKSXiwF6EvMSI93wbjDF-wpZw87LQyby6c9fBa5wIRz3Ez5JI8V2Vy1vQMNWQJV6Rr8pFRL3K2hYK4W9xcRlRr5M7iIIJme5HzXaYnJtuTaiqnUGaZr2zhfK2F7V3Blg-Cu-GBRnHo1j49C2lc-UpzhncQ7gKVd2d3i-oZiRPen83nrZKO-1JqedQd_UnoSuMl-Dbl5A9dB4HCi1qHmkumdAB1n1LjBVw1kMcJJcwN7oUQ_zbSh_So1i_FqsDNoRleBEAnUceZOskwHJJ2H6sGqShuzx0839r4YZu4cBYKpQtrwqGJv_cm9AalJr16kGJW4kzlEDQ1xtKO_RCYm6ZsuH7cWr8KyANWg1_wxx9aLwvSrOahd0V30KCho9e4nP1caoShYdUlugLi7b21kMdheyy0OgWWPTkH8OnquX8wPBGwX220K8uOa_8Xq51oAjXcyxFjl6kdUOWmSK5D6g5-lmrxYSkPWPjrQ=w914-h685-no

Since we weren’t sure how much time we would have left after visiting Volcanoes National Park, we saved our other stops for on the way back. We stopped at the Macadamia Nut Factory where we got to sample various flavors of the nuts and bought some to take home with us. The prices in the visitor’s center were just a few cents cheaper than other places (such as Walmart!) so don’t go with the idea of getting great bargains.

Another stop was at Rainbow Falls. These falls are viewable right from the parking lot and are located in the city of Hilo.

_bBk9QhvJtXkVIRzLpYEfVwg32vBhrUf4C7huG69BeMGvrPnsWTu9FYZnUNIEfmrFhSexFTOKb6WPjbCGvo-jpfICjoJDzL94w67VboOc9pMalxYc50z9dRKlZJ8Balu1KdcJ7KUrJRD3UYRCAoFRXjNxa8DHTfnTB-uSTS-X2aIJ1QTldJj2gPRoLuV1nrX-cZmHRcLHPnozl_JseAtLgeswv8zXe8YkhHa3XdAc11wh1Aded43UVemWhNrOV1otMgW3FLKAHC5hmRuLSSu_KnjFfY0p4_vi5GyhYaA_erkjL_kCOln08-FWZA5nA7hvaK_dItGzKJM1hRTCwbRb3CWlqvjSxlCfcEk7YuCfSftRkOnEakoGsfoV6FYbUf70fFq7Ij-URN46_gIHTTdWVXubUxxF517es5GRwH1I1n3egTw0C3P9O6kR1a61IOz5JKPhll--oEpvtneZB27dw1oTJtE5Q3J5TYsVfHvqKUjVbQ9sZrJUVEdKhwu007RSSfmoYzp1DDyZtoDGTQojBPmEUBg310D2mz2RdBIYAR8O7gRoKRMRe60wbecu6nqG7kkmA=w914-h685-no

The last stop we made was at Richardson’s Beach Park in Hilo to see the black sand beach. There really wasn’t much of a beach here, but it was scenic. I thought the walking palm trees were quite interesting!

WEWcyUPKdl3lkWL3pQBCUS6HHymwDs6_RW2vBWPzdIcDvv59usA7QlXQh-EHTXN_I4FhYA=w1280-h800-rw-no

h7irRV_9M5sN8d4H9KnefV4qdCFMSwWhtGxqEM0oFqU577rXwouVfnlGit3ELFnqn7NxmVEhAZksonpMVEP1N0gJoifm96qWa-drb2PFp0V9-uEhhPxesibpKQ9F6RaAoI7tov9kxA_CRB7_aJ2nlPPl33D2FgYqxHh_W8b7a6PmB17jl-f7Ga8Xy5zqANi8vRE4QyQZH8P1q-zD9mdcFVC_E77D3kyo_IB71C0kY0F6f_xq5yGn4sZMpmMD0yfCcacYv2x6fuivC50fV2vjeNyFM43mpJdeX5srZ8pl6nNi_aHlAwVHD0QjDT1WrHfF-q2LluXPSmKTekmFjs9ryNhaH2lO65utAfUAoSJoEzAoXekzgH7UWAiLmBCYv0q6jVfU9bFKUkp8tIvq1TMWk7M7lVWMeK-2UpAgBIxYojBjuegP9kwRiWx8UJSWJGZjIIL2aMrgDIQcl-kWAJb4wypk7IJDOO2SQBr2Qh4Mo_CNl__yGvCA7AUJzn2-xLaaz4Ci2FcZaupHgRDa03foEqpMOyapwf6C7GYHEiYGZqzwQ98fDtO3kbTbhGhqEozQBCesxQ=w914-h685-no

Kona, Hawaii – 7:00 to 5:30

After reading about…and watching YouTube videos on the Captain Zodiac (http://www.captainzodiac.com) snorkeling tour we decided this was what we wanted to do in Kona. We discussed renting a car in Kona so we could snorkel on our own, but it is not as easy as other ports where the airports are located nearby. There is one rental agency in Kona, but it is about a mile away from the port and more expensive than the rates we were getting at the other stops.

This was our 11th cruise and in all of those trips, I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) how many times we booked tours through the cruise lines. With all of our independent tours, I can’t remember one time when I was concerned that we wouldn’t make it back to the ship on time.

However…when I checked into booking Captain Zodiac independently I found their cancellation policies were a little risky for cruise ship passengers. Since Kona is a tender port I didn’t want to chance losing the full cost of the tour if we had to miss the port or were late getting a tender…so we paid the higher price and booked through NCL prior to our cruise. An added plus was that we didn’t have to wait in line for a tender…NCL tours get priority tendering in Kona.

For all of us, the tour was one of the top activities of our whole trip. The ride on the Zodiac is unbelievably fast and exciting and the snorkeling was excellent. The highlight, for me, came when the guide spotted a whale shark. Swimming with a whale shark has been a long standing item on my bucket list and seeing one up close was almost as good! The shark hung around our raft for probably 15 minutes!

9ACnSm91dVOu0W5tGpwHmiSLDvDRGjan5UZORdJ-xjGVz3kCd6LLw459tIeaus1_JJpxYg=w1280-h800-rw-no

I didn’t think that anything could top that, but just a few minutes later we ended up in the middle of about 50 short-fin pilot whales. There were so many that I didn’t know where to look!

Our snorkel stop was by the Captain Cook monument. We have snorkeled many times in the Caribbean and this day ranked up there with the best of places. So many colorful fish, an eel, sea urchins and my husband even saw his first octupus. (He is a master scuba diver and has done dives all over!)

EoCRPl3Zf3r9KMu2N9yif83eUWu3j42wU5a6txomh0Fl6z5nWeY4nHvky-cbJh_3jGRWJw=w1280-h800-rw-no

t-l4C2U9lQfRDYm4TkQGIRhhPQZYTHZ2Xm3kC6YFhK-Mm6uCB9JZkGe91l9OGoaG1t5Nqw=w1280-h800-rw-no

y57lCfzOhPXKRelBHFB1RCWz5aaaP-PVWL-TizicTUSYI2zvYpEIa4C1OwevqRdKOZPMig=w1280-h800-rw-no

On the way back to the dock, we sailed close to the shore and saw lava tubes, caves, etc. Can you see the face of Pele (the Fire Goddess) in the lava rock on this cliff?

EMa5eVbK2XVpQ2MXBe2O9omK9--owFMWeFybYk_Ywpv3PD8FMnKFCjWwZUk5tQrfAvyBPQ=w1280-h800-rw-no

The snorkel tour was just in the morning so we took the tender back to the ship, showered ate lunch and then went back to shore. We walked around going in some of the shops and also went in a very old church located right at the dock.

The couple we were traveling with spent the afternoon with old friends who now live in Kona. They stopped at a farmer’s market that sounded fun…not sure exactly how far it was from the area where the tenders dock.

As the ship was leaving Kona we got to witness what seemed to be hundreds of dolphins jumping and leaping and playing along side the ship. (We were fortunate to just happen to be outside on our balcony at this time!) What a bonus after already seeing so much that day!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

AryMay, thank you so much for reporting back to us! Also, for starting this thread a year ago; I remember when you did it and thought it was a great idea!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your adventure! :)

I'm slowly getting the posts done! I apologize for the large size of these photos. I've always done reviews with photos and never had this problem before. :rolleyes:

Nawiliwili, Kauai – Thursday 10 am to Friday 2:00 pm

Kauai was our only overnight port. Our first day we rented a car and did a driving tour of the island. (I was disappointed that Gypsy Guide does not offer a tour app for Kauai.) Our day started at Wailua Falls…a relatively short distance from the port. These are the falls that were featured on the opening of the TV show “Fantasy Island.”

wzU_MTV0hVO0Y6NYDeE1ZTtQUIkzzWnE3-MRHExaljsYzZ3PNvOg2rRAIFqJ30JsDGVReg=w1549-h969-rw-no

From the falls we drove to Waimea Canyon. The day was hazy but the views of the canyon were still spectacular.

Act7RGDYTLib5rLveSg8d6brX8ZPnaM0KXgHbUsdA9yExUtNTq1r0mZqTjtcPbvBcgw50Q=w1549-h969-rw-no

The two guys did one of the hiking trails to the waterfall in the previous photo. The sign suggested it would take 2 to 3 hours and they did the complete loop in about an hour and a half (both are in excellent shape). Us gals started down the trail and turned around after about 15 minutes. The “path” was steep, muddy and covered with roots which made walking tough. Here is a "zoomed in" view of the guys...can you see them out on the ridge?

IqvpjMBuRZDoI_1i9En8i-RXPLRIdLIylUOfnplOtdszC_n4G2l6NSvMa4C_HsNn2N4T2g=w1549-h969-rw-no

How about now? (I have a really LOOOOONG zoom on my camera!)

T1aMc_3sBxCzDhdJST2sdnm4ES52T8PahJwjROjZ6CwTcTWmljDiWVpjg8cv-wCzgbX4kA=w1549-h969-rw-no

We drove as far as the road goes and from the last scenic overlook we could see part of the NaPali Coast.

ugoEQrdaoXapyDtPQg_BIFHXgKEN3XusxpqhtEuFogOKDU1IVWxpdxePds9fThWFU-6A-g=w1549-h969-rw-no

fUc7PJ9sAOpMTbDALcO89xivKnjpiNp8jiRoI_Q4G5N0DkuOJ4oz1E9u9ejFb6pI5OUvHg=w1549-h969-rw-no

AryMay

What camera did you use to takes these pictures. Plus what lens are you using.

Most of these photos were taken with my Canon SX-50. It is a "bridge" camera with a 50x zoom lens (not a DSLR with interchangeable lenses.) It is just a point & shoot camera.

The snorkeling photos and a few others were taken with my Canon D10...a waterproof point & shoot camera.

Edited by AryMay

AryMay, thanks so much for your wonderful report and pics! We are doing the cruise in January and looking forward to planning our adventure.

How was your cabin on the ship? We are booked in 7566, and obstructed ocean view, but figure we'll spend so much time off the ship we won't need a balcony.

AryMay, thanks so much for your wonderful report and pics! We are doing the cruise in January and looking forward to planning our adventure.

How was your cabin on the ship? We are booked in 7566, and obstructed ocean view, but figure we'll spend so much time off the ship we won't need a balcony.

Our cabin was small...but functional. All of the cabins received new carpet, artwork, flat screen TV's, etc. during the drydock so they are like brand new.

Initially we had booked this cruise for last November and had booked the obstructed ocean view cabin 7554 and our friends were in adjoining cabin 7556. With the small size, I knew I needed a little bit of daylight or I would have problems with claustrophobia! When we switched to the cruise out of San Francisco, NCL was running a promotion where we could get a free upgrade to a balcony. Although we didn't use the balcony too much, it was still nice having it for the longer cruise. (I even kept the door open on the cool nights crossing the Pacific.)

We moved up a deck to cabin 8550 and I thought the location was perfect...very close to the forward elevators and just a couple of decks above the theater and Mardis Gras lounge where we spent time each night.

A group of people from our CC roll-call put together a cabin crawl for our second sea day and two of them were in the obstructed view cabins that we had originally booked. They were behind the smaller rescue boat and their view wasn't too bad. They did mention that their cabin was very noisy with squeaking and such. Here are a couple of photos I took...

mXhUzqdsUWRrObdr_rRw5LMpo0a15GoNL2OwmheTI2dZy_zHOZYTypy-JZkS33EU2I1jBQ=w1549-h969-rw-no

rM922XLchp2RkZw5Eq9Ea2HPb8dcmw5oig_qUCfXZ9L9TY2tRnzV7_HOO7UaH_IfWg-lZw=w1549-h969-rw-no

I looked at the deck plan and it appears that your cabin is between lifeboats so that is good. It also appears that your cabin should have the small couch which was nice (compared to bunks that drop out of the ceiling.)

Edited by AryMay

I cannot see the photos - one in Hilo, and all the others from Kona onwards.

Oh my...I am sorry. I'm not sure what the problem is. I uploaded my photos to Google+ and am posting them from there (which is what I've done in my reviews in the past.)

I can see all of the photos on my computer (even though they are very large) but am not seeing the ones you mentioned on my iPad. :confused:

I am slowly working on doing daily posts from our cruise on my blog and will have all of these photos plus a lot more eventually. Too bad it isn't possible to go back and edit posts on Cruise Critic so I could try and fix the problem.

My blog link is in my signature, or if you have the signatures turned off it is http://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/

• 11 months later...

My mother and I sail on the 26th of August 2017. Our itinerary is as follows:

24/08/17 - Arrive Honolulu. We're staying at the Waikiki Beach Marriott for the two nights pre-cruise.

25/08/17 - Paradise Cove luau at night. During the day we will just be exploring/shopping.

26/08/17 - Embarkation

27/08/17 - Maui - Road to Hana tour with Valley Isle

28/08/17 - Maui - I will be doing the Lahaina On Your Own tour through NCL, and my mother will be having the day off.

29/08/17 - Hilo - Hilo tour through Mary Lou's tours

30/08/17 - Kona - No tours booked, we are just going to go ashore and wander around Kona

31/08/17 - Kauai - The Director's Cut tour through NCL

01/09/17 - Kauai - NCL Wailua River & Fern Grotto tour through NCL

02/09/17 - Honolulu - Disembark. We are staying at the Moana Surfrider for the last four nights of our holiday.

03/09/17 - Oahu - We have booked the Kualoa Ranch movie tour (can't wait!)

04/09/17 - Oahu - Pearl Harbor in the morning, lazy rest of the day

05/09/17 - Oahu - We have booked a private tour through Private Tours Hawaii to take us to the north shore. We're from Australia, and my mother doesn't drive anymore, and I don't feel confident enough to drive on the wrong side of the road!

And that's pretty much it! I'm feeling really happy about the tours that we've picked (especially Kualoa Ranch). I feel like we'll be getting a good overview of the islands! We're generally going to do things in the morning and then take the afternoons off.

Just over four months to go now!

50 days & I'll be Hawaii bound!

Day 1- fly to Honolulu. Look around Waikiki and then go to Diamond Head Luau.

Day 2-Hike Diamond head. Walk to farmer's market from diamond head. Back to hotel to check out & board POA.

Day 3-road to Hana. Plan is to go all the way around.

Day 4-surf lesson at Hang Loose for daughter & I. Explore beaches, Lahaina, etc.

Day 5-Hilo-bike volcano tour

Day 6-kona-renting convertible and beach hoping. Snorkeling, body boarding, relaxing [emoji41]

Day 7-Kauai-Na Pali experience afternoon tour

Day 8--driving to lighthouse & do Kalalau hike.

Day 9--back to Honolulu. Get car. Dole plantation & then 2:45 Pearl Harbor tour. Drive to house we rented in halawai.

Day 10-shark's cove, food trucks, shaved ice

Day 11-north shore shark adventure for hubby & I. He has always wanted to be in a cage surrounded by sharks.

Day 11- zip lining for our daughter & her grandfather. If he chickens out, I'm the replacement. Grandparents over parents...always!

Day 12-hike & explore more of Oahu

Day 13-say goodbye [emoji22]

We are looking forward to everything but most especially the house we rented, shark adventure & shore excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums