Insurance is important!!!

mistshar

We were planning to cruise on the Jewel last Sat. but on Mar. 27th my DH got very sick. We thought we might lose him. It happened all of a sudden. He had gotten some type of autoimmune anemia. They are not sure how it happened or what caused it. The dr. said he absolutely could not go on the cruise. He has to have blood work done twice a week and he is still very weak.

We are so thankful that he is going to be ok but disappointed about missing the cruise. We are also so glad that we had insurance. This is an example of you never know what might happen. Things can happen at the blink of an eye.

We have another cruise booked next April but that is a long time to wait. We may be able to squeeze another one in before that. It depends on how often he has to have blood work done eventually.

He is very disappointed too but we are so glad we weren't on the ship when it happened.

I am glad everything has improved for you and hopefully you will be able to take another cruise soon. Yes, insurance is very important. Is very interesting the amount of people who don't take the insurance and then something happens and they blame the cruise line for not returning their money.

Good luck to you..

We were planning to cruise on the Jewel last Sat. but on Mar. 27th my DH got very sick. We thought we might lose him. It happened all of a sudden. He had gotten some type of autoimmune anemia. They are not sure how it happened or what caused it. The dr. said he absolutely could not go on the cruise. He has to have blood work done twice a week and he is still very weak.

We are so thankful that he is going to be ok but disappointed about missing the cruise. We are also so glad that we had insurance. This is an example of you never know what might happen. Things can happen at the blink of an eye.

We have another cruise booked next April but that is a long time to wait. We may be able to squeeze another one in before that. It depends on how often he has to have blood work done eventually.

He is very disappointed too but we are so glad we weren't on the ship when it happened.

I am glad that your husband is doing better.

Yesterday was a classic example of why people need travel insurance not just cruise insurance. Norwegian because of a mechanical issue with The Star canceled Her Panama Crossing Cruise to begin in a few days.

I am so sorry that this has happened but am very happy that your husband is doing ok. In the big scheme of things, his health is so much more important but I do hope that you will be able to swing another cruise before April.

Here's hoping that he is doing better! And you are so right, insurance is so important! Thanks for sharing your story.

Best wishes for speedy recovery for your DH. While I used to think insurance was a waste of money, I now ask myself 'can I afford to lose x amount of money if I can't go on the cruise'? If we spend a couple thousand on a cruise, could we afford to lose it all? The insurance usually doesn't cost that much - our December cruise was less than $100 pp. So yes, I'd rather spend the $200 and not use it than lose $2000 because of some unforeseen circumstance.

Thank you, everyone for your kind words. We have always had insurance except maybe our first one but we have never had to use it. I feel so much better knowing we are covered if something does happen especially if we were on the cruise and had to be transported. That would really be expensive.

Hope everyone has a great time on their upcoming cruises.

Thank you, everyone for your kind words. We have always had insurance except maybe our first one but we have never had to use it. I feel so much better knowing we are covered if something does happen especially if we were on the cruise and had to be transported. That would really be expensive.

Hope everyone has a great time on their upcoming cruises.

We always purchase insurance also. Sometimes I hesitate and don't want to buy it, but we do.

Also, doesn't it cover medical bills if you get sick or hurt on your cruise?

I hope your husband is feeling better.

My husband broke his leg very badly in several places a few years ago. We just re-booked our cruise for later in the year.

We actually re-booked months ahead of the cruise, just to be on the safe side because we didn't even know if his leg would be amputated. In our case insurance was not an issue because we were well before final payment. But we still had it.

But you never know.

We always purchase insurance also. Sometimes I hesitate and don't want to buy it, but we do.

Also, doesn't it cover medical bills if you get sick or hurt on your cruise?

I hope your husband is feeling better.

My husband broke his leg very badly in several places a few years ago. We just re-booked our cruise for later in the year.

We actually re-booked months ahead of the cruise, just to be on the safe side because we didn't even know if his leg would be amputated. In our case insurance was not an issue because we were well before final payment. But we still had it.

But you never know.

Yes, it does cover medical issues on the cruise but if we had been on the ship, he probably would not have made it to the right hospital to help him because he hardly had any red blood cells left and had to have 4 units of blood. He almost didn't make it anyway.

He is doing pretty well now. He is just weak and his blood count is not where it needs to be yet but he should continue to improve. It was a very scary thing.

I hope that your husband will be well soon, and I am sorry that you not only had to miss your cruise, but also had to have such a scary experience. I totally agree about the importance of travel insurance. I would also rather spend a small amount of money and maybe not end up using the insurance than lose thousands of dollars for a missed cruise. Also, I can't even imagine what someone would do in the terrible event of needing to be airlifted. I am a gambler, but would never take that gamble!

I hope that you'll be able to squeeze in a cruise to celebrate your husband's full recovery!

Carol, so sorry for your scary experience, but happy your hubby is doing better. I was perusing various trip insurance policies just prior to clicking on CC and your thread was the first I saw! We also buy trip insurance and sadly have had to use it twice - very good to have. Best wishes for happy and healthy cruising soon :)

Barbara