Little French Key, Recent Visits

digitalforge

Here's a picture of the pizza place - it's located along the beach near the Neptune sculpture.

I don't even recall a Neptune sculpture. :confused:

There's the lagoon beach (where the jumping platform is)

There's the beach right beside their house.

Then I hear that they made a new beach on the side over by the jaguar cage.

So I can't even picture where this is at. :confused: LOL

This would be the new beach, I believe. I'll try to post the video clip where the screen capture of the pizza place came from - that may give you some context.

If you are facing Simba's new enclosure, it would be off to one's right. It is on the far side of the island.

Here's a video clip showing the beach where the pizza place is located:

Yep, that's exactly where they had said the ice cream shop was going in at. So that explains why they have never mentioned it since then.

Thanks for the info and for the visual. I love visuals. :D

So...this new beach. Is it open to everyone? Or is this the section I was reading about that is like a VIP area now? They were working on this area when we were there but it was all muddy and there was nothing but rocks in the area so I assume they got it all cleaned up since we were there in November. Do they still have the horses over there? That's where we did our horse ride in the ocean and it was very uncomfortable because of the rocks and mud.

Yep, that's exactly where they had said the ice cream shop was going in at. So that explains why they have never mentioned it since then.

Thanks for the info and for the visual. I love visuals. :D

So...this new beach. Is it open to everyone? Or is this the section I was reading about that is like a VIP area now? They were working on this area when we were there but it was all muddy and there was nothing but rocks in the area so I assume they got it all cleaned up since we were there in November. Do they still have the horses over there? That's where we did our horse ride in the ocean and it was very uncomfortable because of the rocks and mud.

Glad to help!

I don't know much about that area - I only walked past there to get a picture of the Neptune statue. I didn't see any evidence of horses in that part of the island, but honestly I wasn't looking for that. It definitely was finished, though, and people were lounging around on it when I walked by.

Glad to help!

I don't know much about that area - I only walked past there to get a picture of the Neptune statue. I didn't see any evidence of horses in that part of the island, but honestly I wasn't looking for that. It definitely was finished, though, and people were lounging around on it when I walked by.

The horses are stabled behind Frenchy's 44 parking lot. Once someone pays for the ride, the horses get ferried over, they are not kept on LFK. No one wanted a ride 2 Sundays ago, so the horses stayed on the main island.

Similar to the horseback swim, the jaguar only enters the water after someone pays for that privilege. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of close interactions between wild animals and humans. Unless they are tranquilizing Simba, (and I'm not a fan of that either), I can see an accident happening and somebody getting hurt. When Simba swam, a crowd of about 40 people gathered, and this was a non cruise port day. Some entered the water behind or near Simba to get close up pictures. All it takes is a sudden movement, noise, or flash, Simba feels threatened and lashes out. I don't know if the jaguar has been de-clawed, but it still has teeth.

On cruise days, an even bigger crowd may gather to watch and film. Throw in some drinking, and it's easy to see trouble happening. I doubt the handler can control the jaguar through the leash if Simba gets P.O.

The horses are stabled behind Frenchy's 44 parking lot. Once someone pays for the ride, the horses get ferried over, they are not kept on LFK. No one wanted a ride 2 Sundays ago, so the horses stayed on the main island.

Similar to the horseback swim, the jaguar only enters the water after someone pays for that privilege. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of close interactions between wild animals and humans. Unless they are tranquilizing Simba, (and I'm not a fan of that either), I can see an accident happening and somebody getting hurt. When Simba swam, a crowd of about 40 people gathered, and this was a non cruise port day. Some entered the water behind or near Simba to get close up pictures. All it takes is a sudden movement, noise, or flash, Simba feels threatened and lashes out. I don't know if the jaguar has been de-clawed, but it still has teeth.

On cruise days, an even bigger crowd may gather to watch and film. Throw in some drinking, and it's easy to see trouble happening. I doubt the handler can control the jaguar through the leash if Simba gets P.O.

There is always the risk, but the swim with Simba was my favorite moment on the cruise. They keep the crowd a good distance from Simba while he's out of his cage and there are two people there to manage the situation. They also keep the person who is doing the swim away from the front of the cat while he's swimming. I see less risk while Simba is in the water - he's dog-paddling away so it would be more difficult to attack then - but he certainly could do something when he gets up on the table next to you.

The guy warned me not to let Simba see my GoPro while I was with him - apparently Simba thinks GoPros are toys LOL.

Right, I know they actually stay over on the main land at Frenchy 44.

PB110512%20copy-M.jpg

But they also had stables and an area on LFK that they kept horses at for the day as well. This is over by the new beach:

PB110627%20copy-M.jpg

PB110630%20copy-M.jpg

The area that is the new beach was still being worked on and was nothing but rocks in the water and mud on the beach as you can see in this picture:

PB110622%20copy-M.jpg

There is always the risk, but the swim with Simba was my favorite moment on the cruise. They keep the crowd a good distance from Simba while he's out of his cage and there are two people there to manage the situation. They also keep the person who is doing the swim away from the front of the cat while he's swimming. I see less risk while Simba is in the water - he's dog-paddling away so it would be more difficult to attack then - but he certainly could do something when he gets up on the table next to you.

The guy warned me not to let Simba see my GoPro while I was with him - apparently Simba thinks GoPros are toys LOL.

I have to say they didn't keep people at much of a distance when we were there. When the swims first started, everyone was around. As the swims went on, it thinned out a little, but still made me nervous (although I would have loved to have done it, I was still a little freaked out about it now that Simba is getting pretty big).

PB110016%20copy-S.jpg

We were pretty darn close and my little one wanted to petty the kitty. I had to keep yelling at her to get back.

PB110017%20copy-S.jpg

This is how close I got taking pictures when the swims were over.

PB110019%20copy-S.jpg

Here kitty kitty

PB110020%20copy-S.jpg

PB110022%20copy-S.jpg

wow, that spot looks a lot different now.

It makes me want to go back now to check it out. I know others have mentioned there's another jumping dock on the other side (where they now bring people over from Frenchys to dock now...which is a different location than it was the first time we went) and they were just building that when we were there in November.

I'm going to have to look for cruises that go back to Roatan. :D

The Sunday I was there Simba had but one handler. Out of the small crowd of 40 people, maybe 10 went in the water and approached the jaguar from all different sides trying to get better pictures/videos. The handler tried to get Simba to sit on the palaypa table, but the animal soon jumped off back into water.

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity, and I would not let any of my grandkids do this activity. Others will be thrilled by it.

It makes me want to go back now to check it out. I know others have mentioned there's another jumping dock on the other side (where they now bring people over from Frenchys to dock now...which is a different location than it was the first time we went) and they were just building that when we were there in November.

That is true, there's another "tower" to jump off from and it faces Frenchy's.

I have to say they didn't keep people at much of a distance when we were there. When the swims first started, everyone was around. As the swims went on, it thinned out a little, but still made me nervous (although I would have loved to have done it, I was still a little freaked out about it now that Simba is getting pretty big).

PB110016%20copy-S.jpg

We were pretty darn close and my little one wanted to petty the kitty. I had to keep yelling at her to get back.

PB110017%20copy-S.jpg

This is how close I got taking pictures when the swims were over.

PB110019%20copy-S.jpg

Here kitty kitty

PB110020%20copy-S.jpg

PB110022%20copy-S.jpg

I was surprised at how big Simba was as well - I was expecting a youngster and when he sat next to me, his head was right next to my face - and I'm 6'1" tall. Biiiiiiiiig kitty.

I think they've changed their process some since you were there. They use the same general area for the activity, but they pull it a little over to the side. You enter the water and then wade several feet to the side. You can't get there directly because there are rocks and brush along the shore at that spot.

As people checked in with the zoo keeper, he'd verify who would be getting in the water with Simba and who would go in to take photos. The bystanders stayed on the beach. It wasn't far away, but there was probably 15-20 feet of water between the bystanders and the cat.

I'll post my pix from swimming with Simba shortly so you can see better what I'm describing.

The Sunday I was there Simba had but one handler. Out of the small crowd of 40 people, maybe 10 went in the water and approached the jaguar from all different sides trying to get better pictures/videos. The handler tried to get Simba to sit on the palaypa table, but the animal soon jumped off back into water.

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity, and I would not let any of my grandkids do this activity. Others will be thrilled by it.

I agree with you, that wouldn't be too smart. I think they have changed this a bit, as I described above. When I was there last week they controlled who could get near Simba in the water - which is smart.

And you're right - if I'd had young kids there I probably wouldn't have let them get too close unless I was between them and the jaguar. It's a risk, like zip lining or snorkeling in deep water or jumping off water towers or many of the things people do. No one who is concerned about safety should try it for sure.

I have a bunch of photos and video from LFK that I'll post soon - you'll enjoy seeing what all has changed there.

We also stopped by the Cameo Factory, which my wife loved!

I'd love to go back to Roatan but Belize was a big let-down for me, so I'm afraid I won't be repeating that cruise again. I'd be more inclined to go there by plane and stay a few days. That would be a lot of fun.

I have a bunch of photos and video from LFK that I'll post soon - you'll enjoy seeing what all has changed there.

We also stopped by the Cameo Factory, which my wife loved!

I'd love to go back to Roatan but Belize was a big let-down for me, so I'm afraid I won't be repeating that cruise again. I'd be more inclined to go there by plane and stay a few days. That would be a lot of fun.

There are direct flights from Miami and Dallas, just over 2 hrs flight time. When I heard about the Miami direct, I immediately looked into hotels. Westayed at Infinity Bay both times (Feb 2014 and May 2015) and will probably return for a 3rd visit in 2016.

Staying on the island is a whole different perspective than going on a day trip from the port. Cruises generally arrive on Tues, Wed and Thurs, and I found myself hoping the cruise pax would all leave early and let me enjoy "my" beach in peace. LOL.

There are direct flights from Miami and Dallas, just over 2 hrs flight time. When I heard about the Miami direct, I immediately looked into hotels. Westayed at Infinity Bay both times (Feb 2014 and May 2015) and will probably return for a 3rd visit in 2016.

Staying on the island is a whole different perspective than going on a day trip from the port. Cruises generally arrive on Tues, Wed and Thurs, and I found myself hoping the cruise pax would all leave early and let me enjoy "my" beach in peace. LOL.

That sounds like a very good plan. I know my wife would enjoy going back, that's for sure. Looks like flights from DFW start around $800 each which is too much for a long weekend, but that might work for a longer trip.

We're undecided between LFK and Maya Key. We're on NCL so we will dock at Coxen Hole and MK is right there. I the long ride to LFK worth it? It's my wife and I and we enjoy snorkeling and relaxing.

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked LFK for August. It's our first time there, thank you Mitsugirly for your reviews.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there are plenty of shaded areas near the beach to lounge. My DH does not do sun at all and really needs to be in the shade.

Thank you!

We were at Little French Key on May 28 with 2 ships in port, and it was my 2nd visit. Both visits had 2 ships with between 6900 and 7500 cruisers in the port. First visit was fine and it was delightfully non-crowded, but the 2nd visit May 28 was much more crowded - to the extent that they couldn't handle feeding everyone lunch.

We were trying to eat at the main restaurant, and the single waitress completely disappeared! After a while, several guest including myself went up to where we'd earlier seen the waitress pick up the food from the kitchen area and asked about whether we could get the food ourselves. At first we were told no, but then we some guests persisted and received food, I went back up myself and insisted on getting my own food. We talked to someone else back on the ship later that day who said they were also there and waited until later to eat lunch and they had completely run out of food! :eek: They were refunded part of their money for the day, but I can't imagine going the entire day without anything to eat there, and as you know there are no other options to get food there.

They also had one double-ended kayak paddle, and all of the others were broken ones that were just half of a paddle, so it was difficult to use the kayaks. The snorkel excursion boat was also loaded to the max and we were practically sitting on top of each other.

Next time I'm in Roatan, there will be 16,000 cruisers at port, and there's no way I'm giving LFK another chance with crowds like that! We'll be finding something else to do.