Chefs Table and UDP

TavelRN

My husband and I received the UBP through the promo, we also purchased the UDP for our upcoming 7 day cruise on the Getaway. We are major foodies, and am wondering if the chefs table is worth the $, despite having the UDP. Also- is there a dress code requirement for the chefs table (coat and tie?)?

My husband and I received the UBP through the promo, we also purchased the UDP for our upcoming 7 day cruise on the Getaway. We are major foodies, and am wondering if the chefs table is worth the $, despite having the UDP. Also- is there a dress code requirement for the chefs table (coat and tie?)?

I feel it is worth it. I have had UDP and also payed separately for the Chef's Table.

There is no dress code requirement for the Chef's Table. The dress code is simply the general dress code that NCL publishes on their website FAQ that applies to any night. Having said that however you will see some attendees dress up a bit more for the event. I don't and many do not as well.

I agree - if you are in to gourmet food, it is definitely worth it, even though you have the UDP. The wine pairing with the various dishes is also excellent.

Would anyone happen to know if the wines offered, are available by the glass, and if so, are they covered under the UBP?

Would anyone happen to know if the wines offered, are available by the glass, and if so, are they covered under the UBP?

With Chef's Table all wines are included in the package. Unlimited wine is part of the meal.

Dress code, everything from sports coat and slacks to jeans and polo shirt, no one cares.

With Chef's Table all wines are included in the package. Unlimited wine is part of the meal.

Dress code, everything from sports coat and slacks to jeans and polo shirt, no one cares.

My apologies for not being clear. I think my brain is already set to vacation mode. I was wondering about the wine, just in case I really enjoyed it. I would probably want to indulge in more of it throughout the remainder of the cruise. I am aware, that wine is included in the price of the dinner.

They serve the entire table from the bottles (I believe there are 3 or 4 different wines), and if your glass gets empty they fill it up. No need for the UBP at CT.... You also get champagne as aperitif, and coffee "avec" after the dinner - usually in one of the ship bars (the hole group goes together).

Here is the menu (it is the same fleet wide, and it has not changed since it was introduced in 2012. I am not sure if wines might be different, but I don't think so):

Chefs_Table_Menu_-_mindre_format.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNor

DH and I cannot drink alcohol (health issues) but the food is off the hook good. I mentioned to the F&B Mgr that we would be attending Chef's Table and they made sure that if any course contained alcohol (whether burned off or not) that we were advised. We passed on the granita. The Sommelier poured non-alcoholic wines for us (St. Regis which is what we enjoy at home) and it truly was an outstanding experience. Even passing on a few courses, we walked out 3 hours later satiated and declaring that it had been one of the best meals that we've ever enjoyed. We did tend to dress up a little more than we normally would have but that was our choice.

Actually I care. I don't want to pay $100 pp to sit next to a someone who looks like they just rolled out of bed while I'm in a nice dress and husband is in a suit coat/slacks.

Actually I care. I don't want to pay $100 pp to sit next to a someone who looks like they just rolled out of bed while I'm in a nice dress and husband is in a suit coat/slacks.

Probably best you don't go then! For sure no one has EVER dressed up on the 4 Chef's Tables we've been to. At one of them a gentleman showed up with a sport coat and as soon as we were seated he took it off. Wish I could lay my hands on the last two pictures from our most recent Table, not a jacket or long dress to be found. Khakis, dockers, jeans, polo shirts and Hawaiian shirts everywhere. Although, there were no PJ's, so in that case you might be ok.:D

The good news is, there is always a waiting list, so if you don't go, someone else can.;)

I was just going to come ask this same question - my dear husband just sent me an email with these two questions:

Is the wine extra, and does it include tip?

I know the wine is included from a prior answer above - but how about tip? I am thinking no, but before I tell dear husband no, wanted to make sure

Also - if you are NOT a wine drinker - can you order ice tea?

Edited by Imalismom

I was just going to come ask this same question - my dear husband just sent me an email with these two questions:

[/font][/color][/b]

I know the wine is included from a prior answer above - but how about tip? I am thinking no, but before I tell dear husband no, wanted to make sure

Also - if you are NOT a wine drinker - can you order ice tea?

There will be 18% autogratuity charged when you book the CT, no need for any more tip than that...

And yes, I believe that you can order ice tea if that is what you prefer to drink.

Probably best you don't go then! For sure no one has EVER dressed up on the 4 Chef's Tables we've been to. At one of them a gentleman showed up with a sport coat and as soon as we were seated he took it off. Wish I could lay my hands on the last two pictures from our most recent Table, not a jacket or long dress to be found. Khakis, dockers, jeans, polo shirts and Hawaiian shirts everywhere. Although, there were no PJ's, so in that case you might be ok.:D

The good news is, there is always a waiting list, so if you don't go, someone else can.;)

We have done the NCL Chef's Table on three different occasions (in 2012, 2013 and 2014), and we did dress up nicely for the evening. And so did the majority of the others as well. Even though it is no obligation... But on all three occasions it was during cruises in Europe , with more Europeans on board - and maybe Europeans tend to dress up a little more than the average American on a NCL cruise....?

Edited by TrumpyNor

We have done the NCL Chef's Table on three different occasions (in 2012, 2013 and 2014), and we did dress up nicely for the evening. And so did the majority of the others as well. Even though it is no obligation... But on all three occasions it was during cruises in Europe , with more Europeans on board - and maybe Europeans tend to dress up a little more than the average American on a NCL cruise....?

I agree, it's been noted in the past that the European cruises tend to be a little more "formal". The bottom line is, you won't be turned away if you dress as you would in any other venue on the ship.

We were on the Star in Jan. for Panama cruise and the night of chefs table was held in a closed off corner of Le Bistro, we had bird's eye view to what was happening and I can say that while I consider myself a good dresser and resort casual most of the time on board I would not of had the attire to wear that night based on what I saw. Men in jackets no shorts women dressed to the nine's without being formal and lots of bling on them as well. When we entered the dining room and saw the set up plus the folks waiting to enter my first thought was that it was a wedding.

Now whether it had to do with the fact that it was a longer cruise I'm not sure.

On the Getaway, can I book the Chef's Table at guest services, or do I need to go to specialty dining?

I believe that you book it at the restaurant reservation desk - they usually have one set up in the Atrium, close to the guest services desk. At least they have had that on other ships in the fleet (I have not been on the Getaway myself). You should go there as soon as you board the ship, to "secure" your seats.

If you are in a suite, you can request Chef's Table through the pre-concierge (operative word request) and they should pass it along to the ship. After we boarded, we double-checked with the concierge and we were indeed signed up for the CT. On our sailing, IIRC there were two CT's because of demand.