Is this cutting it too close???

For me, it would depend on if I was flying the day before the cruise, and how many flights to San Juan were after mine, if I happen to miss the connection. I would not be confortable with a 45 min connection if I was flying on the day of the cruise.

Is a 45 minute layover in Atlanta cutting it too close? It would be a Delta flight from Nashville, TN to San Juan, connecting in Atlanta. Any comments?

It depends...

If you are going the day of the cruise....I wouldn't chance it.

If you are going down the day before then you have some flexibility if you miss the connect so I would be ok with it.

Is a 45 minute layover in Atlanta cutting it too close? It would be a Delta flight from Nashville, TN to San Juan, connecting in Atlanta. Any comments?

It depends on what time of year it is and also the time of day. Early morning any other time of the year than Jan - Feb is probably fine. Assuming that you are staying on Delta. If you are changing carriers then you will need to hop on the train or use the moving sidewalks to get to one of the other terminals. It is not difficult if you are familiar with our airport but can be confusing if you are.

Afternoon and early evening from June - September you are rolling the dice with the possibility of afternoon t-storms delaying your incoming flight. On the flip side, they could also delay your connection.

For me, it would depend on if I was flying the day before the cruise, and how many flights to San Juan were after mine, if I happen to miss the connection. I would not be confortable with a 45 min connection if I was flying on the day of the cruise.

Lol....we said the same thing and were posting at the exact same time. Lol

There is an 8:15am out of Atlanta to SJU almost every morning on Delta. This is the one that we normally take. There are several hotels connected to the airport via the hotel Sky Train that have very reasonable rates. Did you consider staying in Atlanta the night before? It is a whole lot less expensive that San Juan which I find to be pricey especially with their "resort fees" added.

We have a room at the Springhill Suites attached to the Atlanta Airport for our next cruise in May and are paying around $100.

Our flight is the first one out of Nashville at 5:30 am connecting in ATL. There are other flights after that and, no, it is not the day of the cruise. It is the day before - we never do that unless no other options! And, it is in two weeks, so pretty much the only weather worry would be thunderstorms ( I know, this is very possible)! I'm a little apprehensive, but really want to try it. Just wondering what others may have experienced.

Our flight is the first one out of Nashville at 5:30 am connecting in ATL. There are other flights after that and, no, it is not the day of the cruise. It is the day before - we never do that unless no other options! And, it is in two weeks, so pretty much the only weather worry would be thunderstorms ( I know, this is very possible)! I'm a little apprehensive, but really want to try it. Just wondering what others may have experienced.

We have lived in GA since 2001. DH is a pilot. He says you should be fine if you are going that early especially if you are the first flight of the day for both the planes and the crews. There are several flights after the early ones out of Atlanta, so if you have a delay you can always get on the next one. Our nasty t-storms are usually in the afternoon/early evening.

Go for it and have an awesome trip!

We have lived in GA since 2001. DH is a pilot. He says you should be fine if you are going that early especially if you are the first flight of the day for both the planes and the crews. There are several flights after the early ones out of Atlanta, so if you have a delay you can always get on the next one. Our nasty t-storms are usually in the afternoon/early evening.

Go for it and have an awesome trip!

Oh, thank you so much! Just the positive information I needed - I think we'll do it!

just curious, we're flying out a day early so we don't chance it, but what happens if you're late due to flight delay, or whatever? they leave right on time regardless right? one time I missed a flight and was able to drive to catch my layover. could u board at a different port if u could get there later? just curious.

just curious, we're flying out a day early so we don't chance it, but what happens if you're late due to flight delay, or whatever? they leave right on time regardless right? one time I missed a flight and was able to drive to catch my layover. could u board at a different port if u could get there later? just curious.

The ship won't wait for you. You would have to arrange your own transportation to another port to catch up with the ship. This would usually require you to have a passport since you would likely be flying to a foreign country.

Edited by clarea

1 - I would go the day before.

Next choice would be

2 - Just fly in the same day, with earlier flight

next choice would be

3 - Stay overnight in Atlanta.

Nah, I would never do that. Either get to San Juan,or go the same day.

That is a short amount of time to get your luggage transferred to your next flight.

We have had so many flights delayed etc. I wouldn't chance any short connection.

If you have a day or so before the cruise that is OK, just that you may not see your luggage unless the planes are close by each other at the Gate with a short time to get them over there? They have to unload your bags and get them loaded onto the next plane. Just a thought.........

There is an 8:15am out of Atlanta to SJU almost every morning on Delta. This is the one that we normally take. There are several hotels connected to the airport via the hotel Sky Train that have very reasonable rates. Did you consider staying in Atlanta the night before? It is a whole lot less expensive that San Juan which I find to be pricey especially with their "resort fees" added.

We have a room at the Springhill Suites attached to the Atlanta Airport for our next cruise in May and are paying around $100.

We did that last year. It was ok but we both thought it was too much work claiming and then re-checking the bags as well as dragging twice in airport shuttle. We didn't want to leave " day of" and couldn't leave until last flight "day before" so we thought this would work. It did as we were then able to take first flight out of connection city the next morning. So it does work, just isn't as convenient as traveling all in one day (at least day before).

That is a short amount of time to get your luggage transferred to your next flight.

We have had so many flights delayed etc. I wouldn't chance any short connection.

If you have a day or so before the cruise that is OK, just that you may not see your luggage unless the planes are close by each other at the Gate with a short time to get them over there? They have to unload your bags and get them loaded onto the next plane. Just a thought.........

Very true. However, we have had 15 minute connects and luggage made it and we have ad 3 hour connects and luggage still didn't make transfer.:)

This is just me - but be aware that 45 minutes is the minimum legal time between flights for domestic and 55 for international. Both of those times were set decades ago and well prior to current security policies.

Since most of my connections are international to US domestic, I always allow 4 (yes FOUR) hours between flights. So far I haven't missed one, but has been extremely close at both Houston and Atlanta.

You don't have to deal with customs. If you are not checking luggage and don't have to go through security, you should be fine, but will be stressed. If there is a later flight, you might just want to pick it.

-Holly

125K miles last year in the air and lots of nautical miles. Standing in line is not my favorite thing...