Kids dress code for dining room

KSUSHAQ

Going to be first time cruisers with kids ranging in age from 14 to 3 and wondering what is required of the kids in the main dining room as for dress code? More concerned regarding the boys....are nice shorts allowed with a nice shirt or are pants required?

yes, NICE shorts are allowed in the MDR EXCEPT for on formal night. then they will need long pants. My kids wore nice shorts with a polo shirt then long pants with a shirt and tie on Formal nights. When they got older they wanted suits.

Depends on length of trip and itinerary. Assuming 7 day then dress shorts and polo for dinner 5x. (2 short worn more than once) and slacks and polo or long sleeve shirt If you have. Due packin limitations dress sandals or black tennis shoes will work. My son always changed for dinner then quickly changed back into sports shorts befor heading off to kids activities so the dinner clothes could be reworn. Shorter cruises 3_5 day the dress is more casual and only one dressy dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might also want to keep in mind that sometimes the MDR is cold. Your children may be cold in just shorts. I have worn a sundress and froze. After that, it was either long sleeves or at least a sweater.

BTW.... we cruised in warmer months so it had nothing to do with the actual weather and more to do with the fact that the MDR was always cold. It was like this on all of the ships so it may be a common thing.

Just off the Triumph with kids ages 4, 5, 6, and 7 (not all mine, LOL!). The girls mostly wore sundresses to dinner. The boy wore khaki shorts and either a t-shirt or polo. I found it to be a VERY relaxed dress code. They didn't even enforce the no flip flop rule that I could tell! We skipped formal night, so I can't comment on that.

Another dress code question. Why ask this question if you already know what your dress code is? Kid's never have a separate dress code. Many schools have dress codes for kids. They will go to work and have a dress code. They will get a job and have a dress code. I just never understand the question why people think kids are any different than adults on expectations.

However, Carnival has no real dress code anymore. It's perfectly acceptable today with Carnival to wear shorts, t-shirts, hats, flip flops (only if they are cute), and just about anything else.

Another dress code question. Why ask this question if you already know what your dress code is? Kid's never have a separate dress code. Many schools have dress codes for kids. They will go to work and have a dress code. They will get a job and have a dress code. I just never understand the question why people think kids are any different than adults on expectations.

The difference in thought, by my opinion, is that kids grow pretty darn fast. I can buy myself a dress and wear it for years, but my kids outgrow clothes quickly -- maintaining any kind of more "formal/elegant" wear for children gets expensive.

However, Carnival has no real dress code anymore. It's perfectly acceptable today with Carnival to wear shorts, t-shirts, hats, flip flops (only if they are cute), and just about anything else.

Yep, I do agree with this, although I can honestly say I haven't really noticed the clothing of other folks. When we cruise in October, my boys will wear collared shirts/polos and some nice khaki shorts, equivalent to what they wear to church. My 4 yo daughter will probably wear something a la Bob Mackie, because that's just how that kid rolls. :rolleyes:

OP stated she is a first time cruiser traveling with kids. Please be nice.

Edited by thomarvin

THe kids in camp carnival would have the opportunity to go to kids dinner if they wanted and you wanted to let them. This is regular dress and done at the lido in a separate area. Our kids did it 3 or 4 times out of the 7 and loved it. The food is pretty standard (nuggets, hot dogs, etc.) and nothing fancy. For the Main dining room, I would say have them dress nice but nothing extreme. they should follow the adult dress code, and dress them up real good for formal night just because you can. :)

Going to be first time cruisers with kids ranging in age from 14 to 3 and wondering what is required of the kids in the main dining room as for dress code? More concerned regarding the boys....are nice shorts allowed with a nice shirt or are pants required?

Pretty much what others have said. However they told us dress short, polo and shoes was fine on formal night but no jeans of any kind. For the girl, again no jeans of any kind or beach flip flops. Other than that, not much else.

My 4 year old will be in dresses and sandles/dress shoes every night, or a fancy costume. Assuming she still only wears dresses. Thus far, she's only worn dresses. the fancier, the better.

Currently, she'll wear her fancy dress from christmas and two from Easter, and whatever she has.

Last cruise I didn't pack her costumes, opps. This time I will. :D

Carnival is much more relaxed than most other CLs. No suit or tie required. As others said polo and shorts(not basketball type) for casual nights with sandals or sneakers. For elegant nights throw a pair of lightweight long pants in their suitcase. Polo is fine or turn it up a notch with a button down. If they don't have dress shoes or boat shoes, sneakers are fine. Girls are easy. most little ones love to dress up.

My 4 year old daughter wore sundresses and sandals and then on the formal night wore a fancier Christmasy type dress (we only did 1 of the 2 formal nights).

My 1 year old son wore khaki pants and a collared shirt with boat shoes and then on the formal night wore a pant/tie/vest set with dress shoes.

On our last cruise my son was not yet 1.5 years old.... For elegant night I had him in some dark colored jeans and a tuxedo tshirt. :D

We don't get dressed up in our day to day lives, so I wasn't about to go out and buy him "nice clothes" for an elegant night. We were sitting at a table that was just my family (the rest of us did dress accordingly). The dining room staff thought it was adorable. Granted this wont fly for older children.... but hey, we had a good time, and if my child not dressed up had an effect on someone elses dinner... Well there is a bigger issue at hand since we were not sitting in a group of people.