Special needs boarding

lbjen

I contacted RCI to ask them to note my son's autism on our reservation and they replied with a lot of info, one thing mentioned was special needs embarkation. Does anyone have experience with this they can share?

Thanks in advance.

If you son has no issues in lines or with crowds is fully ambulatory meaning that he does not require the use of any mobility aid than general embarking within your C&A group is faster.

Otherwise you can just go to any RCCL Representative upon arriving at the port and request assistance with boarding.

I contacted RCI to ask them to note my son's autism on our reservation and they replied with a lot of info, one thing mentioned was special needs embarkation. Does anyone have experience with this they can share?

Thanks in advance.

They will give you priority check in and boarding so that your son does not have to wait and board with the masses.

Not sure if you saw this link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/product.do?pagename=onboard_prod_autism_friendly_ships

I would call the special needs department and ask exactly what you should do upon arrival at the pier.

My son also has autism.

As mentioned on arrival at the port find a rci rep whom will facilitate priority boarding.

Last time this lady stayed with us the entire time and did everything she could to make for a speedy checkin.

Rather than wait for your assigned time for boarding (if they do that where you board from) you can go straight to boarding.

Make guest services aware of your sons autism. The muster drill is another difficult situation. They have alternatives but you need to talk to them.

I'm so glad I saw this post! While my son does not have autism he does have severe anxiety. He has a hard time with crowds and loud noise. I will call RCL and see what can be done to help him and what documentation I need from his Occupational Therapist.

Thank you so much for bringing this up!

Thanks everyone, we are sailing from Galveston. He is fairly high functioning but can get overwhelmed in crowds and loud situations. I think we may just see how it is when we get there, we're planning to get there fairly early anyway, just to be safe with Houston traffic ;)

I have looked at all their information about their autism program but it wasn't clear how you go about registering for some of those services. I'll be honest and say that it is still difficult for us to ask for special needs assistance sometimes because he doesn't appear to have any kind of disability to most people. If he does have a meltdown people just think we're bad parents :(

Actually, CB At sea, the terminal is much more like an airport than a hotel. I usually just laugh to myself at all of the rude things people feel the need to say here, but when it comes to our children, don't mess with the special needs community! Who are you to determine what help our children need or don't need??!!?

I understand, our daughter has low functioning autism and is completely nonverbal. You would never know by looking at her, but as soon as she begins to make sounds and stimming, everyone stares. Last cruise we simply asked RC staff member who was outside the terminal by the priority boarding entrance. He told us to come to him as soon as we were ready to board (we were waiting on friends). Thirty minutes later, when our friends arrived, all 10 of us were let into the priority boarding line. No issues!

Have you heard about Autism on the Seas?

You can see if they can provide you with some info or look at their website to see if their services would be useful.

They also have a list of autism friendly certified ships.

It was actually finding out about Autism on the Seas that convinced me we could even go on a cruise, I was sure it was just asking for trouble before that! They didn't have any sailings left for this summer that were options for us but after reading about RCI's programs already in place I think we'll be fine without their extra assistance.

I've been hearing so much recently about people abusing autism accessibility programs at places like Disney and it makes me so sad (they don't ask for any documentation so people would claim autism just to skip the lines etc).

Fabulous!

Since I've enjoyed crusimg with them, I would even book with them for when we don't go on group cruises (which they do offer).

However, there services are wonderful and I booked my next group cruise while still onboard.

Edited by TigerJuls

Totally agree with comments on other people. Seriously if my son is having a meltdown/tantrum don't comment. Don't look at me with a death stare.

Really I don't let my son have a meltdown to upset others.

I am dealing with my son. Don't come over to me and comment! I have enough to contend with.

Actually, CB At sea, the terminal is much more like an airport than a hotel. I usually just laugh to myself at all of the rude things people feel the need to say here, but when it comes to our children, don't mess with the special needs community! Who are you to determine what help our children need or don't need??!!?

Try to ignore this poster. She shoots from the hip and never comes back to see any responses to her.

Hope you have a great cruise.