Just Got a New Credit Card with true Chip & PIN (USA)

ducklite

It's both on one card, a Chase Visa card. Insert into the slot at an ATM and it's automatically a debit requiring a pin; slide it in a store machine and you can specify whether you want it used at a debit (enter a pin) or credit card (signature).

So, you're saying that if you pick the "credit" option the money is not deducted immediately from your bank account, but you get a bill at the end of the monthly cycle??? All of my debit cards have the Visa logo, but they are just debit cards, and any activity, whether you enter a pin or sign, causes an immediate deduction from my checking account.

So, you're saying that if you pick the "credit" option the money is not deducted immediately from your bank account, but you get a bill at the end of the monthly cycle??? All of my debit cards have the Visa logo, but they are just debit cards, and any activity, whether you enter a pin or sign, causes an immediate deduction from my checking account.

Correct - I get a bill if I use the 'credit' option. It's been this way for at least the last year since I got a new card. I didn't think much about it - usually just use it as a debit card unless I mistakenly enter 'credit' when I'm in a hurry at the grocery store! But....my question is really about whether the card will work as a 'chip & pin' card at a European kiosk - even if it's a 'debit' card?

Correct - I get a bill if I use the 'credit' option. It's been this way for at least the last year since I got a new card. I didn't think much about it - usually just use it as a debit card unless I mistakenly enter 'credit' when I'm in a hurry at the grocery store! But....my question is really about whether the card will work as a 'chip & pin' card at a European kiosk - even if it's a 'debit' card?

I can't say for one hundred percent but it should since I use my debit card to withdraw cash from ATMs in Europe. The only glitch might be to find out what the card defaults to, debit or credit, since I understand that some machines in Europe do not give you the choice. It might be a question to ask your bank.

Our bank ATM card has a chip and a pin number, can be used as a debit or credit card. In the US, when you use it at an ATM machine, you insert it into a slot and you must enter a pin. When you slide it at a standard machine in a store, you must specify whether you want to use it as a debit or credit card; if you use it as a credit card, a signature is required. Would this type of card work in the European kiosk machines - would they automatically read it as a 'chip and pin' and accept it as a debit card?

Does your ATM card have a chip? The chip is clearly visible in the card. Mine is about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch, embedded just above the first four numbers of the credit card.

If not, then what you have is just a regular ATM debit/credit card with pin. Some credit cards without chips also have a pin.

It's the chip that's needed.

Edited by cruisemom42

Ironically Bank of America just sent me a new Visa Debit (ATM) card that also has a chip--it came in yesterday's mail. Obviously it needs a PIN for ATM transactions, but I don't know if I can use it as a chip and PIN at retail and service outlets, or if it will default to signature. Probably won't have a chance to find out, as I only use it in bank owned ATM's.