Just Got a New Credit Card with true Chip & PIN (USA)

ducklite

My Barclays US Airways Mastercard just switched to a Barclays AA Aviator Mastercard. Came with a TRUE Chip and PIN. We set the PIN when we called to activate the card. The first time we use it as chip and PIN it needs to be used at a manned till such as in a shop. After that it can be used anywhere that requires Chip and PIN--Tube, gas station, etc.

It's a topic that seems to come up fairly regularly, so I figured I'd share.

We've had them in Canada for a few years now and have not had any problems with them. They were accepted all over Europe, and in the U.S. where they didn't have chip & PIN terminals, we just had to swipe the card and sign.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We got them a few months ago, despite what you might read on this site we have never had any problems in Europe using the older cards . My D.W. has used credit and debit cards all over Europe in train ticket machines and mac machines .I am old school I use cash.

We got them a few months ago, despite what you might read on this site we have never had any problems in Europe using the older cards . My D.W. has used credit and debit cards all over Europe in train ticket machines and mac machines .I am old school I use cash.

CASH? What's that? :confused:

Is it like vinyl records? Snail mail, Fax's, 8 Tracks?:p

No worries, I still use my abacus.;) But I bought that with my chip'n pin credit card......online no less!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

CASH? What's that? :confused:

Is it like vinyl records? Snail mail, Fax's, 8 Tracks?:p

No worries, I still use my abacus.;) But I bought that with my chip'n pin credit card......online no less!:D

We used almost exclusively cash in London last month, because we had a flat (prepaid) and had prepaid for many of our admissions and even Oyster cards it worked well. Plus we ran into a little (OK a lot) of extra cash unexpectedly while there.

We used almost exclusively cash in London last month, because we had a flat (prepaid) and had prepaid for many of our admissions and even Oyster cards it worked well. Plus we ran into a little (OK a lot) of extra cash unexpectedly while there.

Hmmmm? Does the IRS know about that?:) They tend not to look too favorably on those large old fashioned transactions.:eek:;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

My Barclays US Airways Mastercard just switched to a Barclays AA Aviator Mastercard. Came with a TRUE Chip and PIN. We set the PIN when we called to activate the card. The first time we use it as chip and PIN it needs to be used at a manned till such as in a shop. After that it can be used anywhere that requires Chip and PIN--Tube, gas station, etc.

It's a topic that seems to come up fairly regularly, so I figured I'd share.

Interesting - I got my first Chip and Pin credit card just over a year ago (USAA) and used it for the first time at an unmanned gas pump in Italy a few months ago - with no problem.

There are two types of chip and pin. To work in unattended kiosks your card needs to be offline priority. The only U.S. issued card to currently meet that criteria is issued by UNFCU. USAA used to issue cards with the proper profiles loaded but they stopped about a year ago.

From creditcardforum.com:

Well you can scratch Navy FCU from the list of credit cards that are priority chip and pin. According to somebody on Flyer Talk, he or she discussed the matter with somebody in the cc department there and this person admitted that although the original intent was to issue cards with priority #1 being offline pin, they have decided for reasons they refuse to divulge to go the primary signature with pin capabilities route a la Andrews FCU and Barclaycard Arrival+. With Diners Club apparently dead or in a deep coma and no new applications being taken from US residents, that means UNFCU is now sticking out as the only US card, apparently, which is a pure chip and pin card. Of course the price you pay to use it outside the USA is the 1% ftf they impose. It seems that in this country, you just can’t win if you feel the only cards worth having are “true” chip and pin cards. I wouldn’t hold my breath for First Teach either.

You can test your chip and pin card at Walmart. A card with the proper pin profiles loaded will prompt for a pin at Walmart and will fail to process if the pin is entered incorrectly. You should be prompted for any dollar amount purchase, even those under the typical $50 Walmart authorization limit.

Edited by Kevin

There are two types of chip and pin. To work in unattended kiosks your card needs to be offline priority. The only U.S. issued card to currently meet that criteria is issued by UNFCU. USAA used to issue cards with the proper profiles loaded but they stopped about a year ago.

From creditcardforum.com:

You can test your chip and pin card at Walmart. A card with the proper pin profiles loaded will prompt for a pin at Walmart and will fail to process if the pin is entered incorrectly. You should be prompted for any dollar amount purchase, even those under the typical $50 Walmart authorization limit.

According to Barclays, after a first attended chip and PIN transaction, my new card WILL be set up to work with UNATTENDED kiosks. True chip and PIN.

From the web site:

Your card is a chip-and-signature card with PIN capability. In most cases, you’ll be asked to sign for your transaction. But at some self-service terminals such as ticket kiosks and vending machines, you may be asked to enter your PIN instead of signing. Please be sure to set up your PIN so you won’t have issues using your card at self-service terminals.

Chip and PIN. No two ways about it.

Edited by ducklite

According to Barclays, after a first attended chip and PIN transaction, my new card WILL be set up to work with UNATTENDED kiosks. True chip and PIN.

From the web site:

Your card is a chip-and-signature card with PIN capability. In most cases, you’ll be asked to sign for your transaction. But at some self-service terminals such as ticket kiosks and vending machines, you may be asked to enter your PIN instead of signing. Please be sure to set up your PIN so you won’t have issues using your card at self-service terminals.

Chip and PIN. No two ways about it.

Actually there are two ways, even more than that, about it. Loaded on a chip card is something called the CVM. It controls what ways the card can be verified. U.S. issuers make more money on signature transactions so cards are loaded signature priority.

Your card is signature priority, online pin, offline pin. Cards in Europe are loaded offline pin first, online pin second, signature third for when they countries like the U.S. that are stuck with 1970s credit card tech.

The problem is that unattended terminals in Europe were never coded to expect signature priority first and freak out and refuse to take the card even though it could work and have offline pin later in the CVM.

Don't expect your card to work at unattended train ticket terminals or most importantly at parking garage exit terminals.

TSYS explanation of CVM.

http://www.tsys.com/Assets/TSYS/downloads/br_faq-on-pins-and-signature-in-the-context-of-chip.pdf

Actually there are two ways, even more than that, about it. Loaded on a chip card is something called the CVM. It controls what ways the card can be verified. U.S. issuers make more money on signature transactions so cards are loaded signature priority.

Your card is signature priority, online pin, offline pin. Cards in Europe are loaded offline pin first, online pin second, signature third for when they countries like the U.S. that are stuck with 1970s credit card tech.

The problem is that unattended terminals in Europe were never coded to expect signature priority first and freak out and refuse to take the card even though it could work and have offline pin later in the CVM.

Don't expect your card to work at unattended train ticket terminals or most importantly at parking garage exit terminals.

TSYS explanation of CVM.

http://www.tsys.com/Assets/TSYS/downloads/br_faq-on-pins-and-signature-in-the-context-of-chip.pdf

I called Barclays and they are telling me that the card WILL work in unattended kiosks after the first attended use. We shall see, but seeing as how Barclays is UK based, I'm putting my money in them getting this one right.

I called Barclays and they are telling me that the card WILL work in unattended kiosks after the first attended use. We shall see, but seeing as how Barclays is UK based, I'm putting my money in them getting this one right.

Good luck. Take a look around Flyer Talk and CreditCardForum. Lots of people who have traveled recently and had problems with US issued Signature Priority - Chip and Pin capable cards.

The only way to get a card issued with the proper CVM profile loaded is one of two ways:

1. Go back in time and get a USAA or US Navy Federal Credit Union card issued during the period where they got it right. Whatever you do don't let your card expire or get reissued.

2. Jump through a bunch of hoops and join the United Nations Federal Credit Union. It takes about a month and a half from beginning to having a credit card in your hand.

I have a Barclay's world travel plus elite CC with chip & pin technology and it does work at kiosks throughout Europe. Upon arrival overseas, use it once with signature and this will activate it for PIN use. Just be sure to call Barclay's before you leave the US and alert them to upcoming travel.

Darcy

I have a Barclay's world travel plus elite CC with chip & pin technology and it does work at kiosks throughout Europe. Upon arrival overseas, use it once with signature and this will activate it for PIN use. Just be sure to call Barclay's before you leave the US and alert them to upcoming travel.

Darcy

Thank you Darcy. What you describe is exactly what Barclay's has said.

Thank you, Ducklite! I was going to call Barclay's today to CANCEL my MC with them since I've two AA-affiliated ccs.

Instead I will be asking them to send me a new card ASAP so as to have the chip/pin for our upcoming Europe trip.

It will be a relief to finally have such a card considering it was six years ago that we first encountered trouble with a capital T trying to buy RER tix to return to CDG on an early Sunday morning at the St. Michel stop. Thanks heavens for a kind Parisian giving us the euros we needed to have enough coins for our fare.

In the United Kingdom chip and pin is more or less universal however where it is not possible, e.g you have forgotten the number, some places will default to a signature. This is not feasible if you are looking at a vending machine transaction. I like to have more than one card in my possession when travelling overseas just in case the machine decides to retain the card. Another thing that some cards have is "wireless technology" for under £20 transactions you just wave your card at the reader. No other input required.

Regards John

My new card is scheduled to be sent in July and that's it. The rep did try to expedite it for me by acting as though my current card was compromised so a new one would be issued ASAP. Unfortunately, the replacement card would not have been the new AAaviator MC.

Darcy

I have read reports from people who have the chip and signature that will default to pin, and they have definitely worked in unmanned kiosks.

I wonder if the people reporting problems did not follow the instruction to use it first at a manned terminal?

I have read reports from people who have the chip and signature that will default to pin, and they have definitely worked in unmanned kiosks.

I wonder if the people reporting problems did not follow the instruction to use it first at a manned terminal?

That is my thought. Barclays was VERY specific about the card not working chip and PIN until it had been used as a signature card at a manned terminal such as a shop.

Our bank ATM card has a chip and a pin number, can be used as a debit or credit card. In the US, when you use it at an ATM machine, you insert it into a slot and you must enter a pin. When you slide it at a standard machine in a store, you must specify whether you want to use it as a debit or credit card; if you use it as a credit card, a signature is required. Would this type of card work in the European kiosk machines - would they automatically read it as a 'chip and pin' and accept it as a debit card?

Our bank ATM card has a chip and a pin number, can be used as a debit or credit card. In the US, when you use it at an ATM machine, you insert it into a slot and you must enter a pin. When you slide it at a standard machine in a store, you must specify whether you want to use it as a debit or credit card; if you use it as a credit card, a signature is required. Would this type of card work in the European kiosk machines - would they automatically read it as a 'chip and pin' and accept it as a debit card?

Is it a credit card or is it not? A credit card means there is a line of credit. A debit card means you are debating against funds in deposit. Big difference.

Is it a credit card or is it not? A credit card means there is a line of credit. A debit card means you are debating against funds in deposit. Big difference.

It's both on one card, a Chase Visa card. Insert into the slot at an ATM and it's automatically a debit requiring a pin; slide it in a store machine and you can specify whether you want it used at a debit (enter a pin) or credit card (signature).

Edited by Kartgv