ms Volendam VS ms Nieuw Amsterdam For Alaska

9happycruisers

Have never cruised HAL before, but very familiar with DCL and have also cruised RC and Carnival. (Also, never been to Alaska before!)

Same itinerary, Vancouver rt including glacier bay

Volendam with lanai or vista suite

Nieuw Amsterdam with verandah

I don't know anything about HAL in general so I certainly don't know enough to compare/contrast the ships.

Can any of you experts help me with this?

We are a 50 year old couple traveling without children.

One difference is the Volendam starts on a Wednesday -- thus you are in ports on the weekends when there are fewer ships.

Nieuw Amsterdam is a newer ship and does have the Tamarind Restaurant -- which we love. JMO

Also you should the times you are in port.

And you can check this site to see how many ships will be in port with you:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

N. Amsterdam is newer, gorgeous and has Tamarind!

Bigger is not necessarily better, but the N. Amsterdam is really the premier ship: good to start a new line at the top as you get to see the best.

I don't know what Tamarind is, lol!

Also, I thought midsize or smaller is better in Alaska? No?

Do both ships have shows in the theater every night? If so, no tickets required, right? You just show up?

How about food? Assigned dining times? Or the show up when you want kind?

Any feedback on the lanai rooms which open onto the promenade? The room looks small as compared to a stateroom on Disney but I really can't tell.

We love the Nieuw Amsterdam, but I'd be inclined to favor the Volendam for Alaska. It's Wednesday departure would be the primary reason. The second reason is that we've done Alaska on the Volendam, and the ship's size and layout are great for watching the scenery.

I don't know what Tamarind is, lol!

Also, I thought midsize or smaller is better in Alaska? No?

Do both ships have shows in the theater every night? If so, no tickets required, right? You just show up?

How about food? Assigned dining times? Or the show up when you want kind?

Any feedback on the lanai rooms which open onto the promenade? The room looks small as compared to a stateroom on Disney but I really can't tell.

Lanai cabins are smaller that regular outsides/balcony cabins. Sort of crowded and people outside on the deck can see in a little bit during the day and completely when it is dark -- so keeping curtain closed is necessary at least some of the time for privacy.

All HAL ships have shows each evening, no tickets needed. Usually 2 or 3 seatings each evening.

Main Dining Room- you choose set time at 5:30 pm (approx) or 8 pm. Otherwise, there is Open which mean just show up or you can make a reservation.

Not sure why a smaller or medium ship is better for Alaska. Itineraries are the same.

Tamarind is one of the specialty restaurants (Asian) and very good! Not on the Volendam.

Bright lighting on the outside promenade deck will maintain the private reflectivity of the Lanai windows at night. Still, seeing people right outside my floor to ceiling window while I am undressed is not my cup of tea.

igraf

Lanai cabins are smaller that regular outsides/balcony cabins. Sort of crowded and people outside on the deck can see in a little bit during the day and completely when it is dark -- so keeping curtain closed is necessary at least some of the time for privacy.

Bright lighting on the outside promenade deck will maintain the private reflectivity of the Lanai windows at night. Still, seeing people right outside my floor to ceiling window while I am undressed is not my cup of tea.

igraf

You are wrong.

Regardless of the size or classification of the particular cabin - we'd opt for a private verandah hands down.

We enjoy getting coffee and juice through room service in the morning and consuming it out on our verandah before dressing for the day.

In the evening when we return to the cabin for the evening we enjoy a glass of wine out there not worrying about nightclothes or whatever.:)

To us - Sitting on the verandah anytime during the day whether at sea or in port is enhanced by not having to share it with other passengers strolling by.:)

Thank you for the feedback so far!

I'm definitely convinced for a private verandah....we also enjoy coffee on the verandah in our PJs and I hadn't even thought of that! That's all I needed to hear to make that decision!

So now that I've got the cabin type figured out, guess I need to figure out the ship still.Decisions, decisions.

I have sailed both ships and both are lovely. The Volendam is - hands down - my favorite ship in the HAL fleet and I would choose her.

However, if you are considering a pass for the Thermal Suite (which I highly recommend) the NA is a better choice. The thermal pool on the Volendam is basically a glorified hot tub, while the NA has a very nice full size pool, with loungers around it.

Since you are cruising HAL for the first time, I think you will probably be happier with the NA overall.

Kate