LAX to Sydney best kid friendly airline to take

yhh

Hello,

I'm looking at leaving on 12/16/15 from LAX flying to Sydney with my 11-year-old son, eight and seven-year-old daughters. Is there one airline that you liked better than others?

Any tips on how to keep the kids occupied while we're traveling? I don't want to bring a lot of electronic stuff because then I'd have to keep up with all of it. We're staying three days in Sydney before our cruise takes off.

The airline with the best price, fastest time and largest seats! No airline is really "friendly" to anyone nowadays.

Bring them books...they are reading, aren't they? Coloring books...snacks...if the plane offers a movie, buy it!

The airline with the best price, fastest time and largest seats! No airline is really "friendly" to anyone nowadays.

Bring them books...they are reading, aren't they? Coloring books...snacks...if the plane offers a movie, buy it!

Thanks.

by that age they can read a book or color. Or bring a portable dvd player, set on middle tray, all three can watch.

I started flying, alone, at 6, I colored, watched the skys, played a puzzle or something.

Sticker books, look and find, cheap dollar store games, tic tac toe, checkers, paper dolls. Barnes and Nobles has a make your own robot book, it's all paper. I'd look for stuff like that. let each pack his/her own bag.

if the 11 year old has a hand held game/table he should be able to keep up with it and maybe share?

I'd check Air New Zealand (they fly LAX-SYD too). Family-friendly, polite & helpful flight attendants. Great complimentary activity pack for young ones, nice modern planes with great video entertainment systems. They have 'Sky Couch" on Boeing 777-300 flights - seat bottoms fold up and make it almost like a bed, for stretching out. Not on all planes yet. http://www.airnewzealand.ca/upgrade-to-skycouch

Priced fairly competitively. Flew with them a dozen times, they are "best in class", imho.

Edited by ve7ovy

It looks like you're looking at ~$3600 for Fiji airlines, and $4k to $5k for anybody else, in coach. At that price point, I wouldn't be too concerned about the possibility of misplacing $10 or $100 worth of electronics if it can make the flight much easier. I would honestly be carrying 3 sets of batteries for the leappads and I'd bring a power banks to allow me to recharge phones, cameras, etc.

I have heard that the Asian airlines tend to be better at customer service, but I think some have anti-child polices (ie. no kids in first class) so some research is in order if you go that direction.

You might consider going a day or two earlier if you can. The fares on Fiji are slightly cheaper (enough to pay hotel and food for a day or more), and you'll get a bit more time in Sydney. Remember that you're going to lose a day or two, in the air. Sydney is a wonderful place. Have the kids climb the bridge. http://www.bridgeclimb.com/ :D

Another think to think about is something to help them/you sleep. The time change can be unpleasant, particularly if you don't sleep much and then arrive in the 'morning'. If you can make some of the transition on the plane, go for it. I've never done that with our kids, but I would think something is out there.

We have flown overseas ( Japan, Europe, USA - from Sydney , Australia) many times with our son from when he was less then 3 ( he is now 12). Always with QANTAS. We have found the extras you have to pay with budget airlines outweigh the savings. He has always found plenty to entertain himself with their complimentary entertainment system. They feed you well so no need to take extra food ( and my son is your typical grazer).

Pick a flight with individual seat entertainment, then supplement with your own electronics.

No amount of friendly attendants can make up for lack of electronic baby sitting :D

• 1 month later...
I'd check Air New Zealand (they fly LAX-SYD too). Family-friendly, polite & helpful flight attendants. Great complimentary activity pack for young ones, nice modern planes with great video entertainment systems. They have 'Sky Couch" on Boeing 777-300 flights - seat bottoms fold up and make it almost like a bed, for stretching out. Not on all planes yet. http://www.airnewzealand.ca/upgrade-to-skycouch

Priced fairly competitively. Flew with them a dozen times, they are "best in class", imho.

Agreed! We took my son from Vancouver to Auckland direct when he was three. Tons for the kids to do (the goodie bag when you get on will keep them busy for ages) and the flight attendants were very helpful and understanding. They even had a little video game controllers in the seats so kids could play a variety of games on the screens. Given his age he didn't fully utilize, but they had great games for his age. That was 7 plus years ago, so assume it is all that and more now! Plus, if it's an overnight flight they will likely sleep most of the way.