Baggage charges

silkismom

If we have a forced overnight for a flt, I assume we have to collect our baggage and recheck the next day. Do we have to pay again for the bag. I'm looking at St. Lucia to DEN requiring a hotel in either MIA or DFW. We can do the horrid red-eye on the way down.

Pay twice? Curious which airline is charging you for your bags on the international leg to or from St. Lucia.

At MIA you will always have to claim and recheck when changing from an international arrival to a domestic departure. But if on a single ticket if one leg has no bag fees (as on virtually all international flights) then the second leg should not either, even if the layover is long enough to grab a nap in a hotel.

Edited by fishywood

If we have a forced overnight for a flt, I assume we have to collect our baggage and recheck the next day. Do we have to pay again for the bag. I'm looking at St. Lucia to DEN requiring a hotel in either MIA or DFW. We can do the horrid red-eye on the way down.

In my experience, the baggage is "checked" to your final destination - obviously as long as both legs of the flight are on the same airline (or airline partner), which I assume is the case when you're booking with Choice Air.

When you collect it for customs purposes upon first entry in the US, you shouldn't ever have to pay again when you give it back to the airline for the 2nd leg of the flight.

This is not for a cruise--a vacation in St Lucia--but I thought more people would know the answer on this site. AA has been charging for bags to the Caribbean since they began working w/US, several months ago. This is the first trip where we will have to overnight on the way home, so the reason for the question.

Only the airline can answer that for certain.

If you booked it as one flight on the same airline, using the same locator number and ticket, there should only be one fee. Note the word should.....

You'll still have to collect your bags, as you must clear customs, but whether or not you then re-drop them or take them with you back to hotel depends on many issues.

How long is the forced stopover?

I haven't booked the air yet, but schedules look like arriving in MIA about 630PM and leaving around 7AM the next day. OR same flts to MIA then getting into DFW about 11pm and leaving around noon the next day, all on AA.

Pay twice? Curious which airline is charging you for your bags on the international leg to or from St. Lucia.

At MIA you will always have to claim and recheck when changing from an international arrival to a domestic departure. But if on a single ticket if one leg has no bag fees (as on virtually all international flights) then the second leg should not either, even if the layover is long enough to grab a nap in a hotel.

Many times, the Caribbean isn't considered international for things like baggage fees or status-related lounge access