Dynamic dining nightmare

I don't really see your point. On ships with traditional set dining the same thing can happen.

Correct!

People eat at specialty restaurants during the cruise or opt to skip the MDR for the entire cruise and eat elsewhere or perhaps switch to My Time Dining after boarding.

Correct!

For solos there is always a chance that you will end up at a table by yourself on any ship or cruiseline.

Correct!

Also I doubt that anyone with DD Classic can just go to another one of the included restaurants and not their scheduled one.

I guess this is correct, but the OP can easily go over to any other DD venue to see if it is not 100% occupied and also see of a group table has formed... 4 other choices to go and ask.

You can't do that on any other ship, switch to my time dining because you missed your seating or wish to eat at a different time if you have set seating.

Correct

My answers to your questions in red above. You have just eloquently explained the massive advantage that regular DD has, and the many obvious issues traditional or DD classic now has when intermixed with specialty, Windjammer and the freedom more and more cruises are demanding over set times.

My answers to your questions in red above. You have just eloquently explained the massive advantage that regular DD has, and the many obvious issues traditional or DD classic now has when intermixed with specialty, Windjammer and the freedom more and more cruises are demanding over set times.

The problem with regular DD for solos is it still may be difficult to share a table. From observations posted on here and other places, the option to share hasn't been offered widely, it could be that the host/hostess isn't willing to put people together. as it's just easier to seat people with their party. While I haven't experienced DD yet (will next April on Anthem), I've experienced this in open seating for breakfast and lunch on both Royal and Celebrity, even if you say you want to share you sometimes end up by yourself with a vague promise that others will be coming. Sometimes they put others with you sometimes not. I was sat at a table for 6 once for lunch on Celebrity and they didn't put anyone else there.

I think it will be a crap shoot for solos no matter what dining choice they make whether they will eat with others or alone. Anyway it's not something I'm going to worry about as I'm more interested in trying DD and like the option of picking my restaurants and times. If I have to eat solo a few times, I'm sure I'll survive.

I think it will be a crap shoot for solos no matter what dining choice they make whether they will eat with others or alone. Anyway it's not something I'm going to worry about as I'm more interested in trying DD and like the option of picking my restaurants and times. If I have to eat solo a few times, I'm sure I'll survive.

Great attitude... yep, we have to be resilient every once in a while and just go with the flow.

Thank you for your encouraging words Maraprince. Thankfully I'm now home again after the 3 day cruise. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience Anthem, it certainly has some attractive features but I won't be rushing back. I thought the technology was great but I wonder if it is taking over from the personal touch. The crew seemed preoccupied with their iPads strapped to their arms but I guess it is early days for them getting used to the technology too. This was my 26th Royal Caribbean cruise and probably six of those I have travelled solo so I won't be put off by this latest experience. The most important thing that keeps me going back to Royal is the friendly and helpful crew so I've always felt welcome and to use one of Royal's favourite phrases 'a valued guest'. When they think about replacing their oldest and smallest ships I would love to see them building some more Radiance class size ships with all the modern features. Not all their guests need all the features that ships like Anthem or Oasis have to offer and personally I like to feel that I am on a ship and not just staying in a 4 - 5 star hotel.

I originally booked the 14 night Dubai to Singapore sector of the Global Odyssey cruise on Quantum later this month. After reading such poor reviews about the dining and how they were going to 'Asianise' the ship en route to Singapore I decided to cancel, this mini cruise really made me realise how right I was to make that decision.

I guess your first-hand experience is worth a thousand posts favoring the new high tech changes. As you've proven, it is an acquired taste and not for everyone. The learning curve for some of the staff seems to be more extensive than headquarters counted on.

Your points are quite valid and some of the reasons why as long as RCCL still has "low-tech" ships in their fleet, they will become my first choice or else I will have to sail with their competitors.

With more changes announced today in the News section of Cruise Critic for suites/inclusive packages, etc. I am trying to see where RCCL's management is heading.:confused: One day, they claim no more last minute discounting, then the intention to send more ships to Asia and change over to a more Asian experience, new first time cruisers want the high tech ships, announcement of Royal Nights (formal nights), etc. ...they seem to be all over the place and trying to copy what their competitors are doing instead of being "original".

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

MARAPRINCE