Dynamic dining nightmare

So tell my how DD is sufficiently more of a hassle than MTD (and different rooms isn't enough, because you are suggesting "same show or same dinning room")?

And to that, tell me how "everyone wants the same show or same dinning room" as nearly all ships have moved their MTD allocation past the 50% point, and scheduling is the norm for O-class ships but have been sailing full at premium for over 5 years.

Not sure how you can either suggest that most want/don't want or that you have a handle on what most people want.

Agreed. The tide is definitely turning towards the Norwegian model of dine when you want / freestyle dining / dynamic dining, whatever you want to call it. With the proliferation of show reservations people can reserve entertainment and then eat around those reservations, a concept that replaces the traditional early dinner - early dinner showtime / late dinner - late dinner showtime construct.

There will always be those who don't prefer the new system, and for them they can sail on ships and lines that still offer the traditional experience. While not a perfect system (due to entertainment times that do not directly correlate), dynamic dining classic will satisfy many of these folks.

yes I do. The Travel people I booked through in formed me.

The same travel people who did such a good job of allegedly totally misinforming you about the cruise you booked and did such a good job of selling you a cruise you don't want to go on?

The same travel people who did such a good job of allegedly totally misinforming you about the cruise you booked and did such a good job of selling you a cruise you don't want to go on?

No ....... The girl that booked it misinformed me. The one that gave me the information and changed my dining to classic (her manager) was the TA.

When my friend phoned up in despair about the muddle, the girl at the other end said she would mark us down for a large table, but it is not an option online!

IMO making a dining reservation should not be such a big hassle! RCL did a very poor job of getting information out about the whole DD concept and the necessity of reservations to avoid having to wait on line once on board and take your chances.

In the US we are seeing television commercials featuring the new flight simulator and other on-deck innovations, "We Will Rock You" show, a quick look at the inside area for Anthem but nothing about DD or the need for reservations?????

MARAPRINCE

So tell my how DD is sufficiently more of a hassle than MTD (and different rooms isn't enough, because you are suggesting "same show or same dinning room")?

And to that, tell me how "everyone wants the same show or same dinning room" as nearly all ships have moved their MTD allocation past the 50% point, and scheduling is the norm for O-class ships but have been sailing full at premium for over 5 years.

Not sure how you can either suggest that most want/don't want or that you have a handle on what most people want.

There seems to be plenty of examples that people have stated on here of the hassle of trying to schedule things. You never had to schedule seeing a show previously. Even with anytime dinning people are still trying to make reservations for a scheduled time. With the new system if you cannot schedule the show you want to see, you miss it.

Maybe everyone is a strong statement, however if large numbers of people were not unhappy about the system it would not be a controversy.

Edited by AZbeachboy

There seems to be plenty of examples that people have stated on here of the hassle of trying to schedule things. You never had to schedule seeing a show previously. Even with anytime dinning people are still trying to make reservations for a scheduled time. With the new system if you cannot schedule the show you want to see, you miss it.

Yes, I agree that there have been hassles with the reservation systems, but that very much seems to be endemic to RCI's entire IT system, and not limited to DD (in fact, I have personally seen issues with non-DD reservations and entertainment reservations, so my ire is specifically towards the implementation of the technology, not any concept of dining or onboard entertainment).

As for "never had to schedule...", this was true in the olden days when there was a two seating system and a two show system that was offset for dining. This changed well in advance of DD. And though I would still suggest that you don't have to schedule, like dining or entertainment in any destination: if you don't pre-plan, it is possible that there won't be availability for that time or venue (note that if the reservation system was top-notch, you would know well in advance if there needed to be any adjustment).

So again, what does this specifically have to do with DD?

Maybe everyone is a strong statement, however if large numbers of people were not unhappy about the system it would not be a controversy.

I would argue that at least a significant majority are at best dissatisfied with the reservation system, but to suggest that the fault is due to DD (or as some folks have suggested: the concept of DD) seems to me more like a groundless whine than constructive advice.

Yes, I agree that there have been hassles with the reservation systems, but that very much seems to be endemic to RCI's entire IT system, and not limited to DD (in fact, I have personally seen issues with non-DD reservations and entertainment reservations, so my ire is specifically towards the implementation of the technology, not any concept of dining or onboard entertainment).

As for "never had to schedule...", this was true in the olden days when there was a two seating system and a two show system that was offset for dining. This changed well in advance of DD. And though I would still suggest that you don't have to schedule, like dining or entertainment in any destination: if you don't pre-plan, it is possible that there won't be availability for that time or venue (note that if the reservation system was top-notch, you would know well in advance if there needed to be any adjustment).

So again, what does this specifically have to do with DD?

I would argue that at least a significant majority are at best dissatisfied with the reservation system, but to suggest that the fault is due to DD (or as some folks have suggested: the concept of DD) seems to me more like a groundless whine than constructive advice.

I don't know that I was specifically discussing the DD system alone, but the reservation system in particular. How can it be a hassle free vacation, as cruise lines advertise that benefit, and in the long run it really is not.

That was what I was discussing. DD is just one aspect of it.

yes I do. The Travel people I booked through in formed me.

Back to the general cruise thing.....I don't pay a fortune for a holiday and expect to have to book anything (except speciality resturants) myself. trips are a different thing. shows and resturants ???? its a right royal joke. regardless of formal nights, it's a bloody joke. why should I have to fight for a slot in a restaurant I want to eat in with people that don't turn up for their slot ????? just saying.

Go with the "Classic DD." You will have the same time (one reserve), same tablemates, and same waiters. Not a big hassle if you get your preferable time. You will dress formal when you rotate to the Grande. I enjoyed DD on the Quantum because I had all of my reservations. Although there was a glitch with the entertainment reserves times after making them.

I agree with this and have stated it several times on CC. I believe that people are venting against DD, at least in part, because of the difficulty in scheduling things via the poorly designed and implemented web functionality. Personally, I have encountered numerous problems both while trying to reserve times (dining and entertainment) as well as after reservations are completed, and they magically disappear from the calendar under "My Cruises" ...

Go with the "Classic DD." You will have the same time (one reserve), same tablemates, and same waiters. Not a big hassle if you get your preferable time. You will dress formal when you rotate to the Grande. I enjoyed DD on the Quantum because I had all of my reservations. Although there was a glitch with the entertainment reserves times after making them.

If you read through my other posts, you'll see that I'm already on classic. (after I really kicked up)

I was only pointing out that we pay a bomb and they expect us to book things that should already been arranged. its easy to miss previous posts on a thread this size .........

I agree with this and have stated it several times on CC. I believe that people are venting against DD, at least in part, because of the difficulty in scheduling things via the poorly designed and implemented web functionality. Personally, I have encountered numerous problems both while trying to reserve times (dining and entertainment) as well as after reservations are completed, and they magically disappear from the calendar under "My Cruises" ...

exactly ...... its not the dining, it's the booking .......

Hello all. I say the following with the most sincerity and respect... I feel that if those of you who have this large negative feelings for a cruise you have not taken yet should immediately cancel and book something you are familiar with. Most people are ecstatic and happy when they book a cruise! and start planning!! they're excited to go! I realize many posting on this thread are our UK friends across the pond and I don;t know the details of cancelling or changing a booking to another ship so I apologize about that.

I've mentioned on many DD and Quantum threads, if you do not like having choices, booking reservations, making plans, changing reservations, having control, making decision... if change and decision making give you stress rather than happiness, Anthem and Quantum are not for you. Cancel immediately. Book Independence where you have a set dinner, at a set time, with set waiters, in a set seat, with set shows, no decision making, stress free, same thing everyday, you do not have to think. Then you will be happy and excited! You will enjoy your cruise and vacation and tell all your friends!

I feel that if someone brings huge negativity onto a ship, the slightest hiccups are magnified 100 times, the cruise becomes horrific. Those same hiccups on cruise where cruisers enter the ship happy, positive and excited seem to get shoved under the carpet the cruise is still fantastic, the same issues forgotten and never reported.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Hoopster95

I sure Anthem is a unbelievable ship , but not interested in any ship where I cannot get same table same time same waiter, like I have been doing for over 30 years. Should try another RCCL ship

This is the opposite of our feelings. We have no desire to strike up friendships with waiters. We have only cruised RCL once and avoided the MDR several nights. Hated the small talk and the questions of why we hadn't shown up the night before, etc.

I am not retired and neither is my husband. Our holidays are our family time. I want to spend it talking to my husband and kids and not a bunch of strangers.

The idea of sitting with a bunch of strangers making small talk every night in a formal setting makes me anxious.

But everyone is different.

This reminds me of the rollout by WDW of the magic bands and prebooked FPs. There were a lot of glitches in the software and lots of unhappy people at first. Those who didn't do their research were left behind when they tried to book rides a week before their trip.

We transitioned to a new system at work and it took a good year to get rid of many of the kinks! I think that's normal when dealing with the implementation of a large system of any kind.

We don't sail until 2016 and I have made the dinner reservations already. Its a 12 night cruise so we have lots of wiggle room. We aren't into formal dining and refuse to pay extra so only do the complimentary restaurants.

When does the Entertainment schedule come out? Hoping by the time it does a lot of the kinks in the new system are ironed out!

Edited by KathyF.

I feel that if someone brings huge negativity onto a ship, the slightest hiccups are magnified 100 times, the cruise becomes horrific. Those same hiccups on cruise where cruisers enter the ship happy, positive and excited seem to get shoved under the carpet the cruise is still fantastic, the same issues forgotten and never reported.

Just my 2 cents.

I love your 2 cents! If you are looking to be unhappy you will certainly find something to fit the bill and have little things to grumble and complain about. But if you are going on vacation to have fun, enjoy and relax . . you will probably find what you are looking for. Hiccups are part of any life experience - we just roll with the punches and enjoy our time together (and with friends) away from work and make it a point to laugh A LOT. The cruise industry/crew members (even with it's many changes) work hard to make it pleasant for you. We only have about 7 cruises behind us but we have loved everyone of them . . .

You don't change over to a new hi-tech computer system without testing it on a limited basis to make sure to the extent possible that most of the glitches are out, find out where problems exist and give yourself time to correct them. Rolling it out without a learning curve is just asking for trouble.

IMO that is where RCL failed in its initial attempt and incurred the wrath of frustrated passengers who paid $$$$ to be on the first sailings.

MARAPRINCE

You don't change over to a new hi-tech computer system without testing it on a limited basis to make sure to the extent possible that most of the glitches are out, find out where problems exist and give yourself time to correct them. Rolling it out without a learning curve is just asking for trouble.

IMO that is where RCL failed in its initial attempt and incurred the wrath of frustrated passengers who paid $$$$ to be on the first sailings.

MARAPRINCE

Yes I agree.

MARAPRINCE

Yes I agree.

And so do I, but I doubt they didn't test it. But don't doubt that they didn't have the imagination to properly test it.

That said, it now is what it is, so whether it was properly tested or not, they are now committed to making it work.

And so do I, but I doubt they didn't test it. But don't doubt that they didn't have the imagination to properly test it.

That said, it now is what it is, so whether it was properly tested or not, they are now committed to making it work.

You'll never find all the kinks in new software until it goes active and on line. That said, a major problem with software development occurs when the hardware schedule drives the software schedule. In this case, the deployment schedule for the ship is set months ahead of the maiden voyage. That ship will sail on that date whether the software is ready or not as long as there are no safety related issues.

You'll never find all the kinks in new software until it goes active and on line. That said, a major problem with software development occurs when the hardware schedule drives the software schedule. In this case, the deployment schedule for the ship is set months ahead of the maiden voyage. That ship will sail on that date whether the software is ready or not as long as there are no safety related issues.

I've worked in IT for many years and I have to say their website is completely rubbish and there is no need to be. Some time and effort should be put into the requirements and user experience.

I spent 2 painfull weeks booking Dynamic Dinning via the telephone as the website just won't work for us. At some points it just said Error 003.

I won't book a DD ship again

I'm on Anthem now and travelling solo. I was very pleased to be allocated DD Classic because although I'm more than happy to amuse myself during the day I do like to meet up with people in the evening for dinner. My calendar gave me the information I needed regarding restaurant allocation, it even told me the names of the other five people at my table, it all looked perfect.

The reality is that the first night I found that none of my table mates turned up so after a lot of hassle I was allowed to sit at another table then last night I asked that if my table mates didn't turn up again I could sit at another table with people. I was taken to a table with a couple who as we approached the table said they only wanted a table for two so I was then shown to an empty table and told to sit and wait. When nobody turned up I was moved to a small table on my own. The food was fantastic but I'm afraid my experience has left me feeling pretty miserable and I won't be trying the third restaurant tonight. I'm not going to be humiliated again and will be eating in the Windjammer where the food is excellent and the waiters are friendly and helpful. The two restaurants I experienced did not provide a relaxed environment, people were constantly coming and going and the service was slow and not friendly. I appreciate that it takes time for things to settle down on a new ship but from my experience this is not a ship on which to travel solo.

I'm on Anthem now and travelling solo. I was very pleased to be allocated DD Classic because although I'm more than happy to amuse myself during the day I do like to meet up with people in the evening for dinner. My calendar gave me the information I needed regarding restaurant allocation, it even told me the names of the other five people at my table, it all looked perfect.

The reality is that the first night I found that none of my table mates turned up so after a lot of hassle I was allowed to sit at another table then last night I asked that if my table mates didn't turn up again I could sit at another table with people. I was taken to a table with a couple who as we approached the table said they only wanted a table for two so I was then shown to an empty table and told to sit and wait. When nobody turned up I was moved to a small table on my own. The food was fantastic but I'm afraid my experience has left me feeling pretty miserable and I won't be trying the third restaurant tonight. I'm not going to be humiliated again and will be eating in the Windjammer where the food is excellent and the waiters are friendly and helpful. The two restaurants I experienced did not provide a relaxed environment, people were constantly coming and going and the service was slow and not friendly. I appreciate that it takes time for things to settle down on a new ship but from my experience this is not a ship on which to travel solo.

In my humble opinion, the above is exactly why I feel this classic dining option will fail miserably. I feel Quantum class should be either all Dynamic, or all traditional, not both. I posted several weeks ago that I could see many cruisers who had booked on classic also wanting to book specialty dining and so forth... they want the flexibility that Dynamic Dining provides but refuse to let go of that false security of set traditional time, leaving the other guests at their table each night alone for the rest of the cruise if they decide to go elsewhere.

Keep your chin up Penton and continue to have a great time! Try leaving your classic reservation also just like your set-time table mates have done... show up as a "Dynamic" whenever you want and see if the maitre'D has a group table forming of cruisers wishing to sit with others.

In my humble opinion, the above is exactly why I feel this classic dining option will fail miserably. I feel Quantum class should be either all Dynamic, or all traditional, not both. I posted several weeks ago that I could see many cruisers who had booked on classic also wanting to book specialty dining and so forth... they want the flexibility that Dynamic Dining provides but refuse to let go of that false security of set traditional time, leaving the other guests at their table each night alone for the rest of the cruise if they decide to go elsewhere.

Keep your chin up Penton and continue to have a great time! Try leaving your classic reservation also just like your set-time table mates have done... show up as a "Dynamic" whenever you want and see if the maitre'D has a group table forming of cruisers wishing to sit with others.

I don't really see your point. On ships with traditional set dining the same thing can happen. People eat at specialty restaurants during the cruise or opt to skip the MDR for the entire cruise and eat elsewhere or perhaps switch to My Time Dining after boarding. For solos there is always a chance that you will end up at a table by yourself on any ship or cruiseline.

Also I doubt that anyone with DD Classic can just go to another one of the included restaurants and not their scheduled one. You can't do that on any other ship, switch to my time dining because you missed your seating or wish to eat at a different time if you have set seating.

I really feel your pain! About 2 yrs. ago I sailed my first solo cruise. My saving grace was second seating dinner and 2 delightful families who made me feel part of them. It was wonderful to share our daily experiences in the ports over dinner. Some nights some of us would go to the shows together or arrange to meet up for dancing in the disco.

Sailing solo my first time didn't feel so lonely since I had "my" table to look forward to every night.

Hopefully, you will find some other passengers to share dinner with.

As far as those very insensitive/rude passengers basically turning you away...some day one of them may be sailing alone and they will receive better treatment than you did.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for your encouraging words Maraprince. Thankfully I'm now home again after the 3 day cruise. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience Anthem, it certainly has some attractive features but I won't be rushing back. I thought the technology was great but I wonder if it is taking over from the personal touch. The crew seemed preoccupied with their iPads strapped to their arms but I guess it is early days for them getting used to the technology too. This was my 26th Royal Caribbean cruise and probably six of those I have travelled solo so I won't be put off by this latest experience. The most important thing that keeps me going back to Royal is the friendly and helpful crew so I've always felt welcome and to use one of Royal's favourite phrases 'a valued guest'. When they think about replacing their oldest and smallest ships I would love to see them building some more Radiance class size ships with all the modern features. Not all their guests need all the features that ships like Anthem or Oasis have to offer and personally I like to feel that I am on a ship and not just staying in a 4 - 5 star hotel.

I originally booked the 14 night Dubai to Singapore sector of the Global Odyssey cruise on Quantum later this month. After reading such poor reviews about the dining and how they were going to 'Asianise' the ship en route to Singapore I decided to cancel, this mini cruise really made me realise how right I was to make that decision.