Dynamic dining nightmare

Nope, you won't miss any shows (and like me you may see various shows twice) and you definitely won't go hungry :D

thank you!!

I plan on winging it on my first NCL cruise and doing the same on my first RC cruise that has the DD option. This planning and reservation thing months out is not for me.

As long as I get to see a show that I want to I'm good

I eat while I'm on vacation, that's good too!! :D

thank you!!

I plan on winging it on my first NCL cruise and doing the same on my first RC cruise that has the DD option. This planning and reservation thing months out is not for me.

As long as I get to see a show that I want to I'm good

I eat while I'm on vacation, that's good too!! :D

My advice to you is that if there are shows on the itinerary that you really want to see, then you should just book those shows. You are not required to book dining and shows for every day. You could book 1, 2, 3 shows and nothing else. For your "must see" shows, you would then at least have a reservation.

If nothing else, you may want to reserve the comedy show and the broadway show. The comedy show is usually in a small venue so can be difficult to get in if you hope to get in at the last minute. :)

It appears to me that the people who like DD the most are young people,and first time cruisers who don't know any different.

If what was said about no last minute discounting, this means that a lot of the prices especially on these new ships will be coming out somewhat more expensive than what they are now. So if there are less younger people with less money, then will DD take off like they think it is going too. I have serious doubts. RCC are banking a hugh amount on more younger people or indeed more people having the money available to take a cruise. You only need the markets to take a dive and unemployment to start rising again then things would be different. With all the unrest in the world it would never surprise me what might happen. All these new ships still have to be paid for, so if the young can't purchases then it could get messy.

The people that would be best placed to deal with a crash would be the older generation, that have been cruising for years, and most of these people do not like DD.

Amen to that!

People originally turned to cruising since it was touted as "all inclusive". Well, that was certainly a misnomer!

Rarely did you have passengers from overseas on US based ships. RCL made a point, due to the weak US economy of filling up their ships with non-US passengers who could afford to pay higher booking prices because with the exchange rate it was a bargain for them. Higher cruise booking prices do not guarantee more on-board spending.

New/first time passengers "accept" what happens as the standard. Think back to your very first cruise. You went with the flow, didn't question anything, took ship excursions because you were afraid of being left stranded in a port. You were too busy trying to take it all in. By your second cruise, you were cruise savy and "knew the ropes" and made better decisions on what you spent your money on, etc.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Exactly - got it in one! We obviously left it too late because we didn't realise till a couple of weeks back we needed to book shows and dining in advance!

You hit one of the main reasons why passengers disliked DD. RCL did a poor job of informing passengers of how DD works and that reservations are needed for the shows as well. Computer systems can be good or horrible at times. Not being able to see DD reservations along with show bookings is a big negative.

To make the whole thing easier for passengers, make it part of the reservation process that your TA or RCL PVP must book DD reservations and show reservations as soon as they get a booking number. Add to that, not everyone wants to be tasked with doing this or that it takes away some flexibility. We always choose a large table and that option is not available with DD.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for the frank discussions. I have been on RCI cruises twice. I was considering a cruise on the Allure for the Broadway shows. That was the attraction for me. I was never impressed with their meals and service at the meals, so I have been using other lines. But the discussion has told me that the dinning is such a hassle, that it may not be worth cruising on the line for just the shows.

We always choose a large table and that option is not available with DD.

MARAPRINCE

Yes it is. With classic you will share a table with other people who have the same sitting as you. With choice, you can ask to share, others have reported they have larger tables for people who to request to share.

Yes it is. With classic you will share a table with other people who have the same sitting as you. With choice, you can ask to share, others have reported they have larger tables for people who to request to share.

Not speaking about DD classic option but DD.

MARAPRINCE

B) How can you properly judge something you have no experience of? (Except anything illegal obviously ;) )

C)D) I've tried it as much as the OP as we're both booked on a cruise and have had to go through the process of booking restaurants and shows. I'm only judging the part of the experience I have experienced, as is she.

A) The OP hasn't experienced it - they've not sailed yet. They've only experienced the booking part - as have I.

B) We judge things all the time, from the restaurants we visit, the people we date, the movies we watch, and the banks we open a checking account with. We judge changes too. We judge based on reviews, based on what we know about ourselves, based on experiences.

C)D) Fair enough

A) You may not be out of the woodwork just yet with reports of canceled reservation...

I've looked at the DD menu, they don't look bad. It also looks like they took 4 MDR menus and just sorted them out, as well as the MDR itself, into similar looking rooms. It looks like a gimmicky concept compared to Norwegian and Disney. Now if there was a steakhouse, Brazilian steakhouse, Hibachi Grill, and Italian, I would probably do flips. If the rooms had exotic themes and features like Disney, instead of a last minute conversion, I might applaud.

As far as I can tell, when they work out all the kinks, it's going to be a Zero-sum game.

Not speaking about DD classic option but DD.

MARAPRINCE

When my friend phoned up in despair about the muddle, the girl at the other end said she would mark us down for a large table, but it is not an option online!

Is walking up to the dining room and asking to be seated without a reservation no longer an option on Quantum/Anthem? We did it on Oasis and never waited more than 15 mins or so...which we passed enjoying a drink at the bar and people watching. Is it required to book in advance now? Or just recommended?

Is walking up to the dining room and asking to be seated without a reservation no longer an option on Quantum/Anthem? We did it on Oasis and never waited more than 15 mins or so...which we passed enjoying a drink at the bar and people watching. Is it required to book in advance now? Or just recommended?

You can still walk up without a reservation.

I asked this question earlier here in the thread and it is possible. Seems the way to go and just not aggravate yourself trying to plan months out what time and where you want to eat.

I don't know about anyone else but I have wasted hours trying to book dining to match up with booked entertainment - and this only on a three night cruise on Anthem. In the midst of all this chaos they have introduced Classic dining (but no-one told us so we cannot change to that) and changed a couple of the dining options from select to a la carte - again with no notice.

This is my first RCI cruise - it's not encouraging me to return!

Hi Sharon.

I've be slated, slagged off, had my posts moved.

Been told how stupid I am for spending a lot of money on a cruise without researching it first.

There was a month between explorer and anthem.

I booked the later cruise because of the time of year, thinking everything was "more or less" going to be the same.

So no normal dining (that I found out after I booked) and no formal nights (which is one of my biggest reasons for cruising).

Yes I've moaned and griped because quite frankly, all this having to book things is not right.In fact it's out of order, no matter how hard or easy it is.

I don't draw my pension, but I love traditional (or at least a bit of it). I also love tech and change.

I book a holiday for pleasure. All this booking should be scrapped.

The whole system is unfair........ This drama is why independence is coming back.

Sadly Sharon, at least you know why I've been moaning a bit. I managed to book classic after I kicked up such a stink with my TA........and it hadn't been introduced yet.

yours is only 3 ...... mine was 10 ..... and a 3 in October.

Hi Sharon.

I've be slated, slagged off, had my posts moved.

Been told how stupid I am for spending a lot of money on a cruise without researching it first.

There was a month between explorer and anthem.

I booked the later cruise because of the time of year, thinking everything was "more or less" going to be the same.

So no normal dining (that I found out after I booked) and no formal nights (which is one of my biggest reasons for cruising).

Yes I've moaned and griped because quite frankly, all this having to book things is not right.In fact it's out of order, no matter how hard or easy it is.

I don't draw my pension, but I love traditional (or at least a bit of it). I also love tech and change.

I book a holiday for pleasure. All this booking should be scrapped.

The whole system is unfair........ This drama is why independence is coming back.

Sadly Sharon, at least you know why I've been moaning a bit. I managed to book classic after I kicked up such a stink with my TA........and it hadn't been introduced yet.

yours is only 3 ...... mine was 10 ..... and a 3 in October.

If you aren't happy, you should cancel the October cruise with no penalty. There are plenty of other cruises with formal nights and traditional dining. I prefer casual dress and flexible dining-- that's why cruising works: everyone can be happy. You don't seem to want to make that adjustment, however. You are not locked in.

If you aren't happy, you should cancel the October cruise with no penalty. There are plenty of other cruises with formal nights and traditional dining. I prefer casual dress and flexible dining-- that's why cruising works: everyone can be happy. You don't seem to want to make that adjustment, however. You are not locked in.

He is in London. It might be helpful if you researched their cancellation policies before offering advice.

If you just turn up to a restaurant and they are full, they might well either send you to another one or to the windjammer. I don't think there is any guarantee that they will seat you. I have seen people turned away.

Like I've said before, I actually don't mind the WJ at all but the point being, I would hope to have other choices and not just one if my first preference is full.

He is in London. It might be helpful if you researched their cancellation policies before offering advice.

Then cancel it WITH a penalty.

I am on the app-- I cannot see where he is from. YOU are welcome to do whatever research you want.

As some people have said, they prefer sloppiness and chaos and opposed the traditional. They want the whole ship like them or take another cruise. Not a very congenial idea.

Cruise lines advertise a hassle cruising experience. But DD and having to try to schedule things when everyone wants the same show or same dinning room causes hassles. Most people especially experienced cruisers do not want those hassles. They want to go to dinner when it time. They want the shows open to everyone as they have been. Cruise are going against everything they say is good about cruising.

Hi Sharon.

This drama is why independence is coming back.

/QUOTE]

And you know that for a fact?? It's got nothing to do with the biggest ships going to the biggest markets i.e. the US and China?

yes I do. The Travel people I booked through in formed me.

Back to the general cruise thing.....I don't pay a fortune for a holiday and expect to have to book anything (except speciality resturants) myself. trips are a different thing. shows and resturants ???? its a right royal joke. regardless of formal nights, it's a bloody joke. why should I have to fight for a slot in a restaurant I want to eat in with people that don't turn up for their slot ????? just saying.

yes I do. The Travel people I booked through in formed me.

Back to the general cruise thing.....I don't pay a fortune for a holiday and expect to have to book anything (except speciality resturants) myself. trips are a different thing. shows and resturants ???? its a right royal joke. regardless of formal nights, it's a bloody joke. why should I have to fight for a slot in a restaurant I want to eat in with people that don't turn up for their slot ????? just saying.

Okay, we get it, you don't like DD, you don't like the lack of full ship formal night.

You've made your point, move on please!

I for one love the idea of DD, however I won't actually make an opinion until it I've done it, I will give it a chance!

Fwiw I'll be in shirt and tie for every restaurant I eat in for dinner. What everybody else is wearing will have no bearing on my enjoyment.

As some people have said, they prefer sloppiness and chaos and opposed the traditional. They want the whole ship like them or take another cruise. Not a very congenial idea.

Cruise lines advertise a hassle cruising experience. But DD and having to try to schedule things when everyone wants the same show or same dinning room causes hassles. Most people especially experienced cruisers do not want those hassles. They want to go to dinner when it time. They want the shows open to everyone as they have been. Cruise are going against everything they say is good about cruising.

So tell my how DD is sufficiently more of a hassle than MTD (and different rooms isn't enough, because you are suggesting "same show or same dinning room")?

And to that, tell me how "everyone wants the same show or same dinning room" as nearly all ships have moved their MTD allocation past the 50% point, and scheduling is the norm for O-class ships but have been sailing full at premium for over 5 years.

Not sure how you can either suggest that most want/don't want or that you have a handle on what most people want.