Dynamic dining nightmare

I think everyone is turning the thread away from what the OP was complaining about.

This isn't a 'which way dining is better' - it's the inability to make reservations due to system designs and crack IT programmers.

One thing I learned in the past year since the new system came out is that QA and Best Practices are not a part of any systems implementation done by the IT team.

Some people have no problems - then the next day a change goes in, and another cruiser making reservations experience issues.

I have experienced it on other facets of my bookings, but that's not what we are discussing.

Personally I am a dinosaur when it comes to dining, but enjoyed DD on Quantum, and now am experiencing the same issues as the OP for booking Anthem.

I agree with this and have booked enough dining times and shows on line over the last few years to say that the new web site is a HUGE part of this topic. As I stated earlier in this thread, I believe that some people are venting about DD, when in fact, it is the sheer difficulty in completing the on line booking that is the root of the problem. Sure, there are some people that don't experience much issue with the on line bookings. For others it is a nightmare, and it does take way more time than necessary.

The new web site is poorly designed. It is not overly user friendly and is not intuitive. Worse yet, some functionality and useful things the old web site had were not carried over to the new site. Sure, all the major "headings" are available in the My Cruises area (dining, entertainment, excursions etc) but once you go into the dining or entertainment to book, it becomes more difficult to deal with than it should be.

I have to assume that RCI will eventually get their web application to more effectively handle their business, and their customer interface, but at this point in time ... not so much.

One final point. If you don't mind "winging it" once on board, and are ok with just showing up whenever, then that is certainly possible. There are always dining options, and you may get to see all the shows (but possibly not). However, it is really hard to go on board with a group without going the pre booking route

It appears to me that the people who like DD the most are young people,and first time cruisers who don't know any different.

If what was said about no last minute discounting, this means that a lot of the prices especially on these new ships will be coming out somewhat more expensive than what they are now. So if there are less younger people with less money, then will DD take off like they think it is going too. I have serious doubts. RCC are banking a hugh amount on more younger people or indeed more people having the money available to take a cruise. You only need the markets to take a dive and unemployment to start rising again then things would be different. With all the unrest in the world it would never surprise me what might happen. All these new ships still have to be paid for, so if the young can't purchases then it could get messy.

The people that would be best placed to deal with a crash would be the older generation, that have been cruising for years, and most of these people do not like DD.

Slopoke15

Your right, Royal should have their booking website working like a charm .

People really shouldn't have to sit for hours trying to make their resservation especially when Royal wants people to pre-book there eating and entertainment in advance.

I booked my cruise via TA so I'm not sure how their site is to book a cruise is but I'm guessing it's an easy process and only a pain once they have your cash.

I do know a TA that says Royal is a pain in the rear to deal with , my TA never has said anything although.

I suspect that if people wanted things on a cruise to be the same as they are on land then they would probably just book a land vacation. Cruising, for those who might not have noticed, is different... in many ways.

Frankly I like the look and feel of a MDR, and question whether the food quality is keeping up with the other ships based on reviews. That could be growing pains of the program, irritated reservation people throwing the food under the bus too, or cutbacks.

Which would you rather have?

A MDR with 32 entrees (same every night, switches mid cruise)

2 MDR's, 16 entrees each

4 DD, 8 entrees each

8 DD, 4 entrees each

16 mini DD, 2 entrees each

32 DD stalls, 1 entree

I guess the question is, why is 4 Dynamic Dining restaurants a bullseye? If Royal Caribbean announced they were splitting (8 half size restaurants), or combining (2 double sized restaurants), would that be a positive?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Just to add another question to this thread but, I understand DD has NO set dining times. So, my question is why are My Time Dining as well as 1st & 2nd seating dining options still even available on my reservation? Should I expect to see this change after Allure comes out of dry dock?

Edited by ChiMimi69

following as we are booked on OA for 2-5-2017 and they will probably have DD and hopefully Classic Option. We like traditional dining. Am really interested as to how RCI will handle both DD and Classic together on AN. I think about 20% of bookings are reserved for Classic --with the same amount of tables in each DR.

Edited by SherriZ366

Just to add another question to this thread but, I understand DD has NO set dining times. So, my question is why are My Time Dining as well as 1st & 2nd seating dining options still even available on my reservation? Should I expect to see this change after Allure comes out of dry dock?

Possibly. We had an Oasis booking that changed from traditional, to Dynamic, to My Time, back to traditional as Royal made changes.

Whats different between DD and the current mytime dining , which we have used since it became available

what if you don't book? , cannot you just term up and be seated at an empty table?

surly we don't need to book entertainment, on all the ships we have been on the venues are never full, and we always turn up just before the show starts.

I've been asking this question since DD was first introduced on almost every thread and no one ever answers it.

Am I going to miss shows or go hungry if I book nothing and just go with the flow of the day when I'm on vacation??:confused:

I especially like that "first time cruisers" love the DD concept. Why? They have never sailed before and are not aware that DD is not the norm.

MARAPRINCE

Surely it's irrelevant if it's "the norm" or not, what's relevant is whether people like it, first timers or not?

This thread is indicative of part of the problem with DD IMO.

Firstly the heading "Dynamic Dining Nightmare" - really? Not an exaggeration at all? I have had no trouble booking my restaurants and entertainment for my Anthem cruise next month, other than a slight glitch on the website which shows Spectra's cabaret running from 6.30am to 10.25pm on my planner!

Then a lot of people who are clearly misinformed and have never used it piling onto say what a disaster it is. I'm not saying there are no issues - there clearly have been - but I believe a lot of the early issues have been smoothed out. But people who are determined to hate the concept are just encouraging each other to complain more and more - often when there is nothing to complain about, and trying to create the impression that everyone hates it - when in fact there have been a lot of positive reviews about it also.

No, I don't think I am exaggerating my personal experience. I had assumed Dynamic dining would be similar to Freedom dining on other ships. I didn't realise initially it had to be booked and then trying to find availability at times to fit in with our booked shows was indeed a nightmare, at least using the RCI website as you can't bring up dining and entertainment together. There was then the added issue that my travelling companion lives 100 miles away and both of us couldn't log in together so everything had to be relayed via the phone.

I am happy to go with the flow and chill usually but this was a complication too far. Maybe on a longer cruise it wouldn't be an issue since we both wanted to see Spectra and We Will Rock You and had to book those before the dining.

Book the entertainment you want to see and book the dining around it. Guys this is not a hard thing to do, who doesn't look at their cruise booking every day or every other day as the cruise approaches? If you really like set dining Harmony or other oasis class or freedom class ships will still be available and welcoming. The quantum class was noted as a different experience and for some different means good and for others different means bad.

If only!! That was what we did but that left us either dining at 9.45 - far too late for me, or 7, leaving us only an hour to eat before the show!

AND - the other thing is that we like to join a large table and meet others, not eat on our own. There is no option to choose this, in fact the website says every effort will be made to give a table to yourself. Fortunately that was solved with a phone call!

Edited by Host Sharon

So what is the reason you cannot book dining? You did not tell us. What's the hangup

We have booked dining but not at our first choice of restaurants and certainly not at our first choice of times as none of those were available to fit in with the shows we have booked.

We really wanted to eat at the Grande on one night - preferably the second, but initially that wasn't bookable, and when it was only 5.30 or 9.45 sittings were available.

No, I don't think I am exaggerating my personal experience. I had assumed Dynamic dining would be similar to Freedom dining on other ships. I didn't realise initially it had to be booked and then trying to find availability at times to fit in with our booked shows was indeed a nightmare, at least using the RCI website as you can't bring up dining and entertainment together. There was then the added issue that my travelling companion lives 100 miles away and both of us couldn't log in together so everything had to be relayed via the phone.

I am happy to go with the flow and chill usually but this was a complication too far. Maybe on a longer cruise it wouldn't be an issue since we both wanted to see Spectra and We Will Rock You and had to book those before the dining.

Did you consider getting your TA to do the hard work for you?

I'm sorry, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree as I have had a completely different experience to you booking for my 3 day cruise.

For everyone shrugging off - how easy it is is to book dining to match entertainment - you obviously haven't cruised Quantum/Anthem.

Once booked - it is recommended that you book your dining experiences - months or over a year, depending on when you booked your cruise - before your sailing.

If you do not - the dining times will fill up, and you will not get what you desire - and will need to resolve it once onboard.

Sounds simple - except that the entertainment calendar is not announced until after final booking - so suddenly you need to change your dining times - and nothing is available.

The system (good old IT) will not allow you to reserve the shows if it conflicts with dining - so you end up canceling the dining and then wait until you are onboard to make dining reservations, if available.

It's their system design.

Now if entertainment and dining were bookable at the same time - there would be nothing to complain about.

Exactly - got it in one! We obviously left it too late because we didn't realise till a couple of weeks back we needed to book shows and dining in advance!

Did you consider getting your TA to do the hard work for you?

No - because brilliant though he is, he doesn't know our food preferences and while I am happy to try anything new and love Asian etc my friend doesn't.

Yes - and so do I - hence the In My Opinion! Or are we only allowed to comment on posts we agree with?

I think you are entitled to your opinion of DD, both before and after you try it. Your opinion that others should zip their lips is really out of place on a site called "cruise critic". Maybe there's a blog site called "cruise praise" that would better suite you?

Where did you read me say anything about what posts you are allowed to comment on?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I think you are entitled to your opinion of DD, both before and after you try it. Your opinion that others should zip their lips is really out of place on a site called "cruise critic". Maybe there's a blog site called "cruise praise" that would better suite you?

Where did you read me say anything about what posts you are allowed to comment on?

Must be the same place that you read an "opinion that others should zip their lips."

I am going to chime in here - yes it IS a nightmare !

Again, in your opinion - thousands have booked with no issues.....

And I had no problem booking Quantum - maybe you should read the thread before commenting, and my comments on post#20

Must be the same place that you read an "opinion that others should zip their lips."

Right, well maybe you can help me out then. Let's go back to the original comment:

This thread is indicative of part of the problem with DD IMO.

(A) Firstly the heading "Dynamic Dining Nightmare" - really? Not an exaggeration at all? I have had no trouble booking my restaurants and entertainment for my Anthem cruise next month, other than a slight glitch on the website which shows Spectra's cabaret running from 6.30am to 10.25pm on my planner!

(B) Then a lot of people who are clearly misinformed and have never used it piling onto say what a disaster it is. I'm not saying there are no issues - there clearly have been - © but I believe a lot of the early issues have been smoothed out. But people who are determined to hate the concept are just encouraging each other to complain more and more - often when there is nothing to complain about, and trying to create the impression that everyone hates it - (D )when in fact there have been a lot of positive reviews about it also.

There are a few problems above. First and foremost, (B) Donsyb is implying that people who've never tried it shouldn't judge it, while ©(D) he judges it himself having never tried it. Then (A) goes on to question someone who's just tried it (the new and improved version), and © claims he knows better than.

So I'm curious if we're not allowed to have much of an opinion, should the OP at least? :confused:

Rob, sounds like Dynamic Dining is going fleet wide!

Tru dat!

My wife loooovvves to plan on any vacation so DD or DD classic is right up her alley. She would probably love to go on Freedom with DD classic.

If we were not cruising I would still know exactly what I'm doing every day to maximize my doing nothing time....

I've been asking this question since DD was first introduced on almost every thread and no one ever answers it.

Am I going to miss shows or go hungry if I book nothing and just go with the flow of the day when I'm on vacation??:confused:

I've answered this on many threads regarding Quantum... there's barely a difference between MTD and DD, in fact on my solo on Quantum I treated it exactly like MTD... but some DD advantages to MDR/MTD are:

• with MDR/MTD if you wish to meet new cruisers and go to dinner together, you can't, but DD you can on any night with your new friends by rebooking on a larger table together.
  • On Legend 3 weeks ago I was not able to go to fully booked MTD from 6pm-7:30 unless I wanted a long wait... with DD, if a venue is full, walk across the hall to the less full venue.
  • if you go to a venue with DD and totally love a specific meal (ie. lobster or lamb shank at The Grande), you can go back every night! With MDR you can't have the same meal ever again.
  • If you go to MDR/MTD and cannot find something you want to have from their 6 item entree list, well I guess you have to choose something you don't want, With DD you get up on go to one of the other 3 free venues with up to 8-10 entrees in each.

Read comments, both positive and negative, by those who have actually sailed and experienced dynamic dining first hand. I feel that there was on the Quantum forums, and seems to continue on Anthem threads (albeit less), inaccurate information based on opinion rather than facts.

Nope, you won't miss any shows (and like me you may see various shows twice) and you definitely won't go hungry :D

There are a few problems above. First and foremost, (B) Donsyb is implying that people who've never tried it shouldn't judge it, while ©(D) he judges it himself having never tried it. Then (A) goes on to question someone who's just tried it (the new and improved version), and © claims he knows better than.

So I'm curious if we're not allowed to have much of an opinion, should the OP at least? :confused:

B) How can you properly judge something you have no experience of? (Except anything illegal obviously ;) )

C)D) I've tried it as much as the OP as we're both booked on a cruise and have had to go through the process of booking restaurants and shows. I'm only judging the part of the experience I have experienced, as is she.

A) The OP hasn't experienced it - they've not sailed yet. They've only experienced the booking part - as have I.

My point was not that the OP shouldn't have an opinion, but that I think people on CC use very over emotive language IMO to describe something, which in my experience, has been quite straightforward. This then leads to a widely spread view that the whole thing is a disaster held by people who have no experience of any of the process (a comment you will read widely on these boards from people who have never booked or sailed a Quantum class ship).

If you read my above post, I suggested the OP and I agree to disagree as clearly our two experiences of the same thing have been very different.