I don't want my kids to be...

rarasnake

i always have my kids get 1 chair and have them put all their stuff on that chair. Never had an issue doing this. As someone else said, there is a difference between hogging a chair and leave to go gamble, eat, and sit at a bar then for someone using the pool area.

As for, 12 and 9 year olds being left unattended, that is her decision as the parent and she didn't ask anyone their opinion of it!

agreed!!!!

I always have my kids get 1 chair and have them put all their stuff on that chair. Never had an issue doing this. As someone else said, there is a difference between hogging a chair and leave to go gamble, eat, and sit at a bar then for someone using the pool area.

As for, 12 and 9 year olds being left unattended, that is her decision as the parent and she didn't ask anyone their opinion of it!

While that is her decision as a parent, it could quickly become the problem for other people if something were to happen to one of her children while they are on the slides or in the pool. I cannot imagine allowing my kids to be unsupervised in a pool or water slide environment. It isn't up to other parents or other people to watch over those children, it is up to the parent. Yes, today's parents tend to be a bit overprotective, but I also like to err on the side of caution, particularly in a situation that involves water. My kids are nearly 15 and 8 1/2. They still aren't allowed to swim at my mom's unless there is another adult out there with them. Too many things can happen too quickly.

... she didn't ask anyone their opinion of it!

This is a online message board. You will hear opinions no matter you asked it or not, and no matter you like it or not. Did he ask your opinion of his opinion?

While that is her decision as a parent, it could quickly become the problem for other people if something were to happen to one of her children while they are on the slides or in the pool. I cannot imagine allowing my kids to be unsupervised in a pool or water slide environment. It isn't up to other parents or other people to watch over those children, it is up to the parent. Yes, today's parents tend to be a bit overprotective, but I also like to err on the side of caution, particularly in a situation that involves water. My kids are nearly 15 and 8 1/2. They still aren't allowed to swim at my mom's unless there is another adult out there with them. Too many things can happen too quickly.

Just curious..since opinions seem to be ok here..what are you going to do when your kids are old enough(personally think 15 is old enough)to go out on their own? Say the 15yr old goes to a friend's house to swim..will you call the parents to make sure she is never alone?? I just don't get the judgement here..just because you wouldn't do it..does NOT mean there is something wrong with it.

Edited by MNCruizer1

What age would be appropriate for a child to swim on their own?? I think 15 is way too old.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Just curious..since opinions seem to be ok here..what are you going to do when your kids are old enough(personally think 15 is old enough)to go out on their own? Say the 15yr old goes to a friend's house to swim..will you call the parents to make sure she is never alone?? I just don't get the judgement here..just because you wouldn't do it..does NOT mean there is something wrong with it.

Exactly! People need to mind their own business!

Edited by cruiser fanatic

What age would be appropriate for a child to swim on their own?? I think 15 is way too old.

I agree with that. I would think that depending on your child's level of swimming and (as mentioned before) their maturity everyone has to make their own decisions. I don't think it is right for anyone else to tell someone how old their child needs to be to be left alone at the pool.

However, as Tapi mentioned, a 13 year old drowned as Disney while having no supervision. Everyone needs to make the decision that is right for their own kids. Within reason of course. Hope to never see a 6 year old in the pool alone!

*** And I am still waiting on Sailor Jim to tell me why they should not bring towels from the room to the pool. :D

Edited by TerReuv

I agree with that. I would think that depending on your child's level of swimming and (as mentioned before) their maturity everyone has to make their own decisions. I don't think it is right for anyone else to tell someone how old their child needs to be to be left alone at the pool.

However, as Tapi mentioned, a 13 year old drowned as Disney while having no supervision. Everyone needs to make the decision that is right for their own kids. Within reason of course. Hope to never see a 6 year old in the pool alone!

*** And I am still waiting on Sailor Jim to tell me why they should not bring towels from the room to the pool. :D

Was it before or after that incident that Disney added lifeguards?

To answer the other question.. about towels... They do not (and should not) bring towels from the room. They can go to the towel hut and check out a towel using their sign and sail card. They do not charge for it.

That does not make sense. The towels are there in the room for you to take to the pool or ashore. Why should they not???

That does not make sense. The towels are there in the room for you to take to the pool or ashore. Why should they not???

I didn't say they couldn't take the towels from the room. But it is more convenient not to bring them and get them from the hut. It's like a hotel that says "towels are available by the pool" The room provided towels are there for port days. And you only get one clean set a day (the room stewards will change them when they come to service the room at dinner time.) If they use the towels in the morning and they are wet, and then want to swim again later in the day... they have wet towels. If they just get them from the hut they can have as many new dry towels as they need.

Edited by sailor_jimc

Only she knows her children. If she feels they are old enough to conduct themselves correctly while playing that is her choice. I think our kids were mature enough at that age that I would be okay to allow them to go on their own. I may have been in the vicinity to them in case they needed me, but that was my choice too.

When I was that age I was outside dawn to dusk playing with friends. Who ever's house we were at would "supervise" as needed. Too many parents are quick to jump the gun and complain when someone "instructs" their child on proper manners or behavior.. so now everyone has a "well its not my child so I won't say anything" attitude... please... what ever happened to "it takes a village"

so you are comparing a friends house (and I assume you met the parents) with 3000 of your closest strangers on a ship?

You are either old fashioned or incredibly judgmental.

Yeah. I know how my statement could be taken as judgmental. But honestly, when it comes to life and death matters concerning children, I don't mind being called judgmental. If you ever see me doing something that could place my kids lives in danger, please be as judgmental as you want and let me know. I may fume a bit, but ultimately I'd be grateful. [emoji18]

Edited by Tapi

I always stay while my son is at the pool/waterworks. Plenty of times kids have asked me to leave their stuff with me. I guess I look honest :-0. I have no problem with that as long as I am there. If we leave before the other kids do I just let them know.

Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't let my kids play in the pool without adult supervision, even at 13 years of age. Pool drownings, while not frequent, do happen, even in shallow waters and involving older kids (the kid that died at Disney was a 13 year old swimming in 4ft of water unsupervised).

That other parents choose to be irresponsible doesn't make it acceptable for me to be irresponsible as well.

Very much agree. We let our son / nephew have some freedom last cruise, but they still needed to check in with us. They were 14 yrs.

They choose not swim during the day, because to many UNSUPERVISED kids were in pool. These kids were very rude and disrespectful to others. I witnessed employees yell many times at them to stop. They would for only a second and start back up. One reason I do not use the pool myself :( All I kept thinking was what if one of them slipped and got really hurt, who would they contact. We had a family member almost drown in hot tub while adults WERE watching and I would hate to think what if we were not close bye. It would be devastating to a family if such a thing were to happen on vacation.

I didn't say they couldn't take the towels from the room. But it is more convenient not to bring them and get them from the hut. It's like a hotel that says "towels are available by the pool" The room provided towels are there for port days. And you only get one clean set a day (the room stewards will change them when they come to service the room at dinner time.) If they use the towels in the morning and they are wet, and then want to swim again later in the day... they have wet towels. If they just get them from the hut they can have as many new dry towels as they need.

Ummm - ok but no the room towels are not just for port days. Also, you can swap out your wet towel (from your room) to a dry one from the towel hut too.

so you are comparing a friends house (and I assume you met the parents) with 3000 of your closest strangers on a ship?

Are there 3000 people in the pool? And honestly..it was just.a question as I was truly wonderful.

My daughter, now 10, is a better swimmer than me and is more mature than many adults. My kids go to the less popular pools at quieter times of the day because they don't like the obnoxious kids either. No one should swim all by themselves, but as long as they are not swimming alone, I think it depends more on swimming ability and maturity than age. There are many things we do every day that carry some small risk of harm, including driving a car, eating, and waking down the stairs. Within reason, we have to balance risks and rewards ourselves and make our own parenting decisions.

As for other dangers, my job has shown me just what kind of monsters are out there, but I believe it's important for my kids' development that they be granted independence, responsibility, and confidence in themselves, so I try to put aside my own anxieties as much as possible.

The 9 year old will be watched over.. The 12 year old, she will get more room to roam... If I need to run off to CC because I have 2 other kids also, I don't want their items to take off and they not know where they are... My husband will only make brief looks out and see them (he flat refuses to go onto the Lido deck, except to eat)... I only go out for a short time because I am not suppose to be in the sun, whatsoever (I have medicine that won't allow me to be there)..

I may have missed it, but I didn't see which ship you are going to be sailing on. When we were on the Breeze this past November, there was an area inside the water slides/park area where parents sat and visited and kids put their stuff. I may be wrong but it seems like there were even little cubbies, as well, that kids put their flip flops in. Gosh, I hope I am remembering correctly and not misleading you but I am sure there was a place/benches or chairs inside the 'gates' and I think a portion of it was covered. Maybe someone else will post and confirm or refute. Regardless, don't sweat it, it will work out just fine and y'all will iron out all those little details once you get there and can visualize for yourself what you have to work with - assess and adjust. you and your family will have a blast....enjoy!

Are there 3000 people in the pool? And honestly..it was just.a question as I was truly wonderful.

at any given time, 1 of 3000 people can walk up to your unsupervised child. In a house with friends, you know them and so there is some method of trust

do you trust all of the 3000 passengers that could interact with your child in the pool?

your analogy was not very good.

at any given time, 1 of 3000 people can walk up to your unsupervised child. In a house with friends, you know them and so there is some method of trust

do you trust all of the 3000 passengers that could interact with your child in the pool?

your analogy was not very good.

I really think we are talking about 2 different things? Would someone come up to my child in the pool and drown them? That is all I'm talking about...not sure what you are talking about. I thought I was clear but guess not.

I really think we are talking about 2 different things? Would someone come up to my child in the pool and drown them? That is all I'm talking about...not sure what you are talking about. I thought I was clear but guess not.

I was talking about the dangers of unsupervised minors (9 years old)... there is a LOT that can happen... I would DEFINATELY trust my 9 year old to swim in the pool alone unsupervised regarding drowning. I don't think someone will drown them and I don't think they will drown on their own.

given that... I would NEVER allow my child (9) unsupervised in a cruise ship pool for 3000 other reasons...

so we were talking about different things... my apologies

I was talking about the dangers of unsupervised minors (9 years old)... there is a LOT that can happen... I would DEFINATELY trust my 9 year old to swim in the pool alone unsupervised regarding drowning. I don't think someone will drown them and I don't think they will drown on their own.

given that... I would NEVER allow my child (9) unsupervised in a cruise ship pool for 3000 other reasons...

so we were talking about different things... my apologies

Sorry if I was confusing. It made sense in my head. :)

I honestly don't think anyone should swim alone, regardless of age. But, that is just MY opinion. As far as kids and supervision, my sons are both aware that they are not to be in the pool without someone else out there. My 15 year and another friend? Depending on the kids, I am fine with that. My younger son and just the 15 year old? As long as there are adults in the vicinity, even in the house is fine with me, as long as someone is around in case of emergency. On a cruise ship or other public pool, my 8 1/2 year old would not be in a pool or on a waterslide without direct supervision by myself or family member etc. My 15 year old I might let go, but that would be totally dependent on the situation.

Despite what this might look like, I'm really not that super over protective mother that won't let her kids out of her sight. But I also don't feel the need to take unnecessary chances either.