Seabourn Spirit - Disappointing

DrLove

I too just returned from the Seabourn Spirit (more on that later). The staff were absolutely fabulous! They work incredibly long days (often twelve hours) and get just a few hours off here and there. My guess is they get a couple of hours off between breakfast and lunch. I wouldn't expect them to keep the restaurant open, just for me, for an hour. I would feel terrible if I gave them a thirteen hour day.

One morning we went up to the Verandah to eat breakfast at about 7:45am. But it was just too windy to eat outside and inside was full. We went down to the restaurant instead. We asked the maitre'd for a table for two. He said, of course, please give me one moment to create some ambience. He then dimmed the lights and turned the music on. I hadn't realized that they didn't open until eight o'clock. We offered to come back at eight, but he wouldn't hear of it.

The service on the spirit was the best of any ship I have been on.

having just come off 28 days on the pride i can only say the service is so exceptional i cant imagine being dissatisfied, and if anyone says no to a passenger there must be a very good reason. not only does the staff go out of its way to please but its done with such cheerfulness and good humor sometimes i thought these people cant be human. and even if there was one misstep who cares!!!!! thats like saying paris is an ugly city because one street in the 11th arrondissement was dirty.

My! It's been a long time since I've seen an exchange like this on these boards. Everyone here seems to have valid points and I agree with many that are differing. Suffice to say, if the experience of admittedly arriving late for breakfast and being turned away is enough to prompt a post to begin with, I dare say I don't see much to complain about. If rating this cruise 0-100, 100 being perfect and this situation causes a drop of a point or two on the scale, its still pretty darned close to being perfect. (I never use two words when 20 will suffice. :) Nothing in life has any business being perfect...how boring is that???

Seabourn offers a very nice after hours breakfast in the Veranda after 10 am.As for the spa, Reservations for the Veranda also fill up and they too turn away interested patrons for dinner. Should they add more tables and staff?

I was told by the veranda cafe manager that the maximum number of patrons they will take for dinner has do to with the maximum number of people who can be seated INSIDE. That way if it starts to rain they can bring everyone inside and they have a place to eat.

Made sense to me.

Because at breakfast you can join other people at tables, and as I understand it at dinner if you have booked a table for two or four they don't sit people at the same table unless you invite them to join you, so in theory you could have a table that seats six with just the two of you, although I am sure that seldom happens.

I understand that part of the re-fitting will be to re-configure the space in the Veranda to make it more versatile in all kinds of weather. No matter, it's still like eating in the cafeteria. Perhaps they will try to overcome the lack of ambiance a la QM2.

I had to eat with others at dinner one night on the last cruise (on the Pride) because it was 'overbooked'. I replied that perhaps the other diners (a couple at a table for 6) didn't want to eat with me and I was really annoyed because I wanted to sit alone. I advised them they should have called me so I could have stayed in my suite. It turned out all right and actually, many tables ended up being unoccupied since there were several no-shows. I should have waited a few minutes. The staff was as always, solicitous. The service was good, however, with few diners, my courses were whisked away before I was done.

Jane in PHL

I agree with Jane, no ambiance and just like a cafeteria, unless its a lovely evening and you are outside with the moon shining on the sea, then its fine, but I much prefer the restaurant, even for lunch, still sometimes its the preferred option if you aren't in the mood to dress up and don't want to stay in your suite.

Glad to hear they might be changing it in the upcoming refit.

Marcelo, who was managing the Verandah evenings on one of our cruises, told us that the capacity issue had less to do with seating and more to do with staffing -- they know that in the evening they need more staff in the restaurant so they limit Verandah reservations so everyone who dines there will receive optimum, (or typical Seabourn), service.

• 4 weeks later...

we were also turned away for arriving too late once for breakfast at the restaurant on the Legend, but we were so kindly informed of the lateness - and other alternatives were provided, that we felt no irritation at all. the Legend staff were all very adept at managing people in the most courteous and friendly manner.

aloha wipro - good to hear from you. I think you'll be Very happy with the Legend - and especially the quality of the food on it, and the wine & service in the dining room. their dining room is a member of the prestigious Chaine des Rotisseurs - and they live up to that level every day, every meal, every course. so we were most particularly wowed with their dining room experience; awed. everything else was also first class, and we especially enjoyed getting to know the staff on board - everyone was just Great - good human beings, smart, funny, fun, and incredibly courteous, gracious, forthcoming, professional, and friendly. the ship was an understated gem - no glam. the staterooms were incredibly comfortable, peaceful, and well designed. the other guests were generally quite well heeled and sophisticated, but not snobby or showy - very fun loving crowd but never saw anyone behave in an obnoxious manner or rowdy/loud. the captain went out of his way to make everyone comfortable with sea conditions and everything else. I only had 2 very minor gripes; 1- the shore excurshions could have been better and less mass market in approach. 2- the onboard entertainment wasn't quite up to my expectations, although they tried Very Hard - and others seemed happy with it, so maybe it was just me.

pre and post cruise travels went seamlessly - thanks to you and the other cruisecritic members. we flew Virgin Atlantic upper class to/from SFO - Heathrow. I can't say enough good things about Virgin Atlantic - it is worth every penny and more for enhancing any travel experience and minimizing jet lag. the 10 hr flight was actually enjoyable and we arrived at our destinations rested and pampered. we are total converts.

precruise, we took your advice and stayed at Hotel De Russie in Rome - they were charming, and they upgraded us to a fantastic jr suite overlooking the gardens. we had a lovely dinner outside in their garden restaurant the evening before the cruise. Jim Belushi was at a table the next day at breakfast, but everyone had the good graces to pretend they didn't know who he was..

in London we stayed at the Dorchester, Very nice hotel. they took great care of our needs and their concierge helped us book some great restaurants and car transfers, as needed. we ate at The Ivy after going to the theatre - fantastic; I had melt in your mouth fois gras, then "lobster and chips"...:)

we spent 2 weeks pre cruise, and 2 weeks post cruise in Europe, so we took Alot of trains, planes, and automobiles, and stayed at lots of exceptional hotels in Europe. it all went just Great, no problems.

one last heads up; the Excelsior night train from Paris to Milan 'deluxe sleeping compartment with its own bath' is in its entirety the size of a telephone booth - this took us a bit by surprise. it was funny - but the car steward still managed to provide us with champagne and an incredible cappuciuno in our cabin in the morning. :o

I would wholehearetedly recommend Seabourn to anyone sophisticated enough to appreciate the rare quality of what it offers. for those who want Las Veags glam and pass the banana contests - Seabourn is not for you.:D

happy travels!!

Maunakealady,

So nice to read your review! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your trip on the Legend. We will also be on the same cruise as Wripro, and 2 more already booked for next year, and we cannot wait!

Denyse

maunakealady.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. It sounds as if the Legend is just about perfect. I spent 28 days on the Pride in august and agree with everything you say, including the entertainment. For me tho, the real entertainment is conversing with my fellow guests over a drink so I dont expect much from the shows and dont usually even attend them unless I happen to get friendly with the cruise directors (as I did on the Pride)

Also happy you enjoyed virgin atlantic. I agree it's one of the best flying experiences around. in fact, this coming august we're flying to south africa and instead of flying nonstop from NY or Atlanta on South African were flying Virgin with a three day layover in London. It's worth it to have such a comfortable way to fly.

in fact, your whole trip pre and post cruise sounds great. its nice when you take so much care planning and it all works out. i hope we get to sail together on seabourn some time as i will be with denyse on december 4.

aloha!

Archived