Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Well to the above I would simply add that I have observed 4 average sized adults with a normal amount of cruise luggage fit in the Prius cabs....I am sure that it was a bit crowded but they all fit together with their luggage and they did not even look sideways...much to my amazement. :)
I should add that most Prius's in Vancouver are not the standard Prius, but the Prius V. The V has more vertical space for luggage and was designed to the be a mini-minivan.

I should add that most Prius's in Vancouver are not the standard Prius, but the Prius V. The V has more vertical space for luggage and was designed to the be a mini-minivan.

There are still an awful lot of previous generation models in the city, with the sloping rear window and 2/3rds of the trunk space of the Vs; I've never been in a V yet in Vancouver, and most of the ones I see lining up outside Amtrak are the older models.

Until they're run into the ground they won't be replaced, and with cab licenses restricted so tightly here it could be years before Vs become the majority. I'd be intrigued to know your source, as other than handicapped cabs (which equate 100% to minivans so provide a way to count those) PTSB do not track models, just total of licensed cabs to the best of my knowledge.

There are still an awful lot of previous generation models in the city, with the sloping rear window and 2/3rds of the trunk space of the Vs; I've never been in a V yet in Vancouver, and most of the ones I see lining up outside Amtrak are the older models.

Until they're run into the ground they won't be replaced, and with cab licenses restricted so tightly here it could be years before Vs become the majority. I'd be intrigued to know your source, as other than handicapped cabs (which equate 100% to minivans so provide a way to count those) PTSB do not track models, just total of licensed cabs to the best of my knowledge.

I've used an actual Mini Van taxi to and from YVR and the cruise port . They actually might actually be called handicap Taxi's .

I have a question. We are flying into Vancouver the evening of July 31st. We are going on a Holland America cruisetour. Our itinerary shows to stay at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport Hotel on August 2nd. and take a flight to Whitehorse the following morning. We will have the 1st. and 2nd of August to tour Vancouver. Would it be easier to stay at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport hotel on the 31st. and 1st. or stay downtown. I haven't booked it yet but plan on maybe taking the ferry to Victoria one day and maybe the second day the hop on, hop off bus. It seems like it would be easier to stay at the airport hotel and not have to move bags and such.

I have a question. We are flying into Vancouver the evening of July 31st. We are going on a Holland America cruisetour. Our itinerary shows to stay at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport Hotel on August 2nd. and take a flight to Whitehorse the following morning. We will have the 1st. and 2nd of August to tour Vancouver. Would it be easier to stay at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport hotel on the 31st. and 1st. or stay downtown. I haven't booked it yet but plan on maybe taking the ferry to Victoria one day and maybe the second day the hop on, hop off bus. It seems like it would be easier to stay at the airport hotel and not have to move bags and such.

I defiantly take a hotel downtown. You'll be closer to all the attractions.

I am very much inclined to recommend that you stay downtown, at perhaps something like the Fairmont Waterfront or the Pacific with their view of the water. The F. Airport is a lovely property but it is just an upscale airport hotel. Getting to and from the attractions of Vancouver is going to take you a full 30 mins each day in either direction. I would never say don't go to Victoria particularly if the Butchart Gardens are your objective but with only 2 days in Vancouver there is plenty to see in Vancouver. The trip to Victoria via the ferry is a full 12 to 14 hour trip and ferry trip thru the Gulf Islands is lovely but the time factor is something to consider.

By the way, say hello to the good folks of Whitehorse, I used to go back and forth to Whitehorse every 2 weeks and as a younger person even considered moving there....however, Dudette had other ideas for our future.

Totally agree that downtown is where to be on the first two nights - frankly on the night of the 2nd too, as even for an obscenely early flight you really won't get more than a half-hour extra sleep in the Fairmont compared to jumping in a cab downtown (in fact the earlier the better, as less traffic to deal with!)

Unlike PD though I actually do recommend against spending almost an entire day getting over to Butchart and back unless it truly is a 'bucket list' attraction for you or you have visited Vancouver on multiple occasions and don't need to revisit sites.

One world class garden and a pleasant ferry ride do not equal the missed day's touring opportunities, including other gardens of smaller size but comparable or even higher quality than Butchart's equivalent 'zones' - let alone all the non-garden stuff. You could spend two hours each in five different sites over here, with time to travel between them, and have a MUCH better dinner (on all-day-tours to the Island you are pretty much forced to have dinner on the ferry coming back - and while the view is great, the food is decidedly 'meh').

Butchart it is worth seeing, don't get me wrong - it's just the logistics of going from Vancouver are a real hassle. You can throw money at the problem - e.g. whale-watch on the way over, floatplane or helicopter on the way back - to improve the trip or cut the travel time (by air is about 45mins including check-in each leg, vs. 3 hours on bus & ferry).

I have a question also. What can you tell me about the Vancouver aquarium? Is it worth a visit? Is it anything like sea world in Orlando? Thank you in advance.

It's worth a couple of hours for a first visit, but doesn't even come close to a Seaworld in scale (or cheese factor). Nowhere near the size of the really big ones like Georgia, Monterey Bay, or even Boston but if your family likes the more sciencey side rather than the shows & roller-coasters it should be enjoyable.

Edited by martincath

I have a question also. What can you tell me about the Vancouver aquarium? Is it worth a visit? Is it anything like sea world in Orlando? Thank you in advance.

I would suggest you do a little reasearch but yes the Vancouver Aguarium is well worth a visit. How does it compare to Sea World in Orlando, I have never visited that one but what I have seen of other Sea Worlds, the Vancouver one is much less staged and is much more educational.

Just a little info - the weekend of July 31, Aug 1 etc is also the weekend of the fireworks finals on July 30th and the Pride parade will be on the 31st - 600,000 people downtown and traffic will be a zoo so maybe staying out at the airport especially if you are going to go to Victoria isn't such a bad idea.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Dennis

There is no longer any fireworks finals. However it was just announced..... the July 30th show is USA.... Disney! Expect supercrowds for that show!

http://www.straight.com/life/674346/honda-celebration-light-2016-walt-disney-company-represent-usa

As trixietx is arriving on the evening of July 31st..... she will be missing the parade chaos. Another vote to miss Butchart. I expect the ferries to be heavy on the Monday.

I recommend focus on Capilano and Grouse on the first day with the free shuttles. Perhaps the Aquarium on the second day with a hop on shuttle combo.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Thank you all for this great thread. I've read through

From the info, I booked The Hyatt Regency on Burrard through Priceline. Got a great price of $167. plus taxes, which I feel is an exceptional price.

We have 2 days post cruise to visit the sites. We arrive early morning on May 16, 2016 and depart at 2pm from YVR on May 18.

We want to visit Stanley Park, SeaWall, Capsilano Bridge, Chinatown and FlyOver Canada.

We are not shoppers but will enjoy a couple of great meals, maybe at Joey, Cloud Nine, The Flying Pig and/or The Banana Leaf.

The problem is that I want to maximize time to see and experience as much as possible in my limited time. Any suggestions to formulate my itinerary is greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are other "must-see/do's" please advise.

Thank you. Susan from The SF bay area

That is a great price for the hotel. It's right downtown, so you'll love walking around the downtown core. You can easily fit everything you wanna see into two days. The Capilano suspension bridge is the farest away, and they have a free shuttle from down.

From the info, I booked The Hyatt Regency on Burrard through Priceline. Got a great price of $167. plus taxes, which I feel is an exceptional price.

We have 2 days post cruise to visit the sites. We arrive early morning on May 16, 2016 and depart at 2pm from YVR on May 18.

We want to visit Stanley Park, SeaWall, Capsilano Bridge, Chinatown and FlyOver Canada.

We are not shoppers but will enjoy a couple of great meals, maybe at Joey, Cloud Nine, The Flying Pig and/or The Banana Leaf.

The problem is that I want to maximize time to see and experience as much as possible in my limited time. Any suggestions to formulate my itinerary is greatly appreciated.

Well if you like part 2 of this thread, you should have seen part 1.....but it had become far to much to wade thru.:)

Your deal at the Hyatt Regency is outstanding, you didn't say if the rate was CAD or USD but at $167 you can't beat it. I have stayed at the HR a number of times over the years and while there are newer hotels in Vancouver you absolutely can't beat its location, as we say in Canada, "its centre ice". All of the rooms have been updated in the last 5 or 6 years and I am certain you will enjoy it. It remains one of my faves in Vancouver.

The shuttle service to the Capilano Suspension Bridge stops on Melville St. just behind the hotel....so if it were me I would get off the ship ASAP, get a taxi to the hotel, drop my luggage off at the bell desk and head for the shuttle. You are going to want to allow about 4 hours for this attraction with travel time included.

As for your restos, the only one that I would advise against would be Cloud Nine....you are paying for the view, not the dinner, IMO the food tends to be very average at best. If it is a view you want then go down to the Vancouver Lookout in Harbour Centre.

Oh, we leave here on Tuesday at the crack of noon for our summer home .... so as we pas the exits to the Bay area on I-5 on Wed. I will honk and wave.

http://www.vancouverlookout.com/

https://www.capbridge.com/

Edited by Putterdude

Well if you like part 2 of this thread, you should have seen part 1.....but it had become far to much to wade thru.:)

Your deal at the Hyatt Regency is outstanding, you didn't say if the rate was CAD or USD but at $167 you can't beat it. I have stayed at the HR a number of times over the years and while there are newer hotels in Vancouver you absolutely can't beat its location, as we say in Canada, "its centre ice". All of the rooms have been updated in the last 5 or 6 years and I am certain you will enjoy it. It remains one of my faves in Vancouver.

The shuttle service to the Capilano Suspension Bridge stops on Melville St. just behind the hotel....so if it were me I would get off the ship ASAP, get a taxi to the hotel, drop my luggage off at the bell desk and head for the shuttle. You are going to want to allow about 4 hours for this attraction with travel time included.

As for your restos, the only one that I would advise against would be Cloud Nine....you are paying for the view, not the dinner, IMO the food tends to be very average at best. If it is a view you want then go down to the Vancouver Lookout in Harbour Centre.

Oh, we leave here on Tuesday at the crack of noon for our summer home .... so as we pas the exits to the Bay area on I-5 on Wed. I will honk and wave.

http://www.vancouverlookout.com/

https://www.capbridge.com/

Summer home in California and living in Vancouver? You are living the dream!

I was billed in USD for my priceline hotel purchase.

Thanks for the feedback on Cloud Nine. I was looking for a view there but I like your idea better. Thank you.

That is a great price for the hotel. It's right downtown, so you'll love walking around the downtown core. You can easily fit everything you wanna see into two days. The Capilano suspension bridge is the farest away, and they have a free shuttle from down.

Thank you!

One idea....

May 16... drop luggage at Hyatt

• catch free shuttle in the morning to Capilano
  • public bus or taxi to Grouse Mountain
  • return to Vancouver late afternoon on Grouse shuttle
  • cram in Fly Over Canada with the last show at 9pm.

May 17.... hop on service that takes you to other locations

• Stanley Park & seawall
  • Chinatown
  • Granville Island is popular as a stop

May 18.... you want to be at airport 3 hours in advance for US customs and security. So get a cab at 10:30am at the latest from your hotel.

It is recommended that a person check in at YVR 2 hours before a flight to the US. With the new passport kiosks the actual time has been reduced but 2 hours is a safe margin. There is always a cab line at the Hyatt Regency and if you grab one 1130 you will have lots of time to make a 1400 flight to the Bay area and enjoy a bite to eat once thru security and CPB.

Edited by Putterdude

Sorry to kick this back off after 3 days - just back from some offline vaycay. 100% concur with PD's note to ditch cloud nine for harbour centre - all high-up and/or rotating restos suffer from some combination of overprice and underquality, but cloud nine is dire. Harbour centre though I was genuinely surprised at the quality of the food for the price - it's number one on my 'least marked up over what it would cost at ground level' list. However, the BAR at Cloud Nine is excellent value - no cover and drinks are only a buck or so more than most Vancouver bars, so well worth getting a couple of sunset cocktails if you're in the area (just don't eat anything...)

I would also ditch Joey - and I say this despite being friends with some of the management! - as they are the least good value of the incestuous trio of Cactus Club/Earls/Joey restos that have overlapping ownership. Hands-down your dollars will go further on better food at Cactus Club, and unlike Joey you have a choice of two with a view - English Bay and Coal Harbour.

Since you seem good with Asian food, also consider Phnom Penh in Chinatown. It's been an institution for over two decades and has queues out the door nightly despite no website, no marketing, and no reservations. Vietnamese/Cambodian food with a few other odds & sods - though if you're specifically looking for Malaysian then Banana Leaf doesn't have too many competitors downtown. For something different and unique, a cab over to Broadway (or just walk up from Granville Island) to have dinner in Salmon & Bannock gives the very rare chance to try native Canadian food. Very nice folks that run it, and since word began to spread it has been regularly right at the top of Tripadvisor restos (though it's far from the BEST food in town, it is excellent value and very different, so certainly worthy of being high in the rankings).

The notes above suggesting which things to link together all make sense, but I'd be tempted to bump Capilano to later in the day though, so that it's quieter. By the time you disembark and check-in, you'll find a lot of fellow-cruisers already up there or on the shuttles as well as folks doing post-cruise tours by coach and general coach tours. Granville Island is likewise best done either early or late in the day rather than the late morning/lunch/early afternoon slots, as it can be a real zoo in summer - but there are some tempting food options like Edible Canada or assembling your own picnic at the various stalls of the public market that can make fighting the lunch crowds worth doing.

Hi - hope someone might be able to answer this for me. (It's been years since I've been in Vancouver and remember even less about the airport itself).

I'll be staying overnight at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. My travel agent has booked a transfer for me on the Norwegian Cruise Lines shuttle/bus/whatever for the day of the cruise (I'm doing a repositioning on the Sun).

My TA said that the NCL advised her to tell me that I should meet the NCL representative outside the airport near some wooden statues that "you can't miss"; it's supposed to be outside the customs area. It is not the NCL kiosk where they normally meet people (I'm guessing because they're not meeting me as I step off the flight). The thing is I'm not sure if they mean literal outside or just outside Customs, but still within a terminal.

I went online to the YVR website and did see some wooden statues in the images, but many appeared to be inside the terminal.

I've still got a few months to go, but I'm the type that likes to organize things well in advance. Would anyone know what they are describing, or perhaps have used the service in the past and know the meeting place? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi - hope someone might be able to answer this for me. (It's been years since I've been in Vancouver and remember even less about the airport itself).

I'll be staying overnight at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. My travel agent has booked a transfer for me on the Norwegian Cruise Lines shuttle/bus/whatever for the day of the cruise (I'm doing a repositioning on the Sun).

My TA said that the NCL advised her to tell me that I should meet the NCL representative outside the airport near some wooden statues that "you can't miss"; it's supposed to be outside the customs area. It is not the NCL kiosk where they normally meet people (I'm guessing because they're not meeting me as I step off the flight). The thing is I'm not sure if they mean literal outside or just outside Customs, but still within a terminal.

I went online to the YVR website and did see some wooden statues in the images, but many appeared to be inside the terminal.

I've still got a few months to go, but I'm the type that likes to organize things well in advance. Would anyone know what they are describing, or perhaps have used the service in the past and know the meeting place? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would check outside the Customs exit first . Haven't seen any statues outside the airport . Call NCL direct and ask the question direct.

The statues are ALL inside the terminal, one set for Domestic and one for International, and in both cases just outside the secure area (obviously no customs on domestic flights!) Both the canoe and the figures are official meeting areas, so this is 100% definitely where NCL means - but frankly I would cancel the NCL transfer as it is marked up in price beyond any rational concept and will add no convenience for you (indeed, forcing you to meet them where literally EVERYONE who is meeting their friends and family members is going to be hanging around is simply idiotic - it's a zoo when multiple flights arrive so spotting the NCL person will be hard).

You will also have to walk past the Skytrain and both the limo and taxi lines back into the airport in order to get from the Fairmont to where they want you to meet them. Why not just get in one of those cabs (fixed rate, CAD$35 - probably about the same price for your transfer per person!) instead and be on your way immediately, instead of waiting for other arriving flight pax? Or if you want to save a few bucks, take Skytrain downtown for $9pp ($7.75 on weekends)?

Also, unless you are arriving very late at night I would reconsider staying at the airport Fairmont. Because it's a very nice hotel (and the only one actually on-site, literally connected to the terminals) it is expensive - more expensive than a perfectly nice downtown hotel, from which you would be able to walk to the pier or take a sub-$10 cab ride. If you have no time at all to sightsee an airport hotel is a sensible choice - but with our late sunsets, even if you arrive early evening you could enjoy a few hours of exploring downtown and have a vastly greater range of dining options for dinner and breakfast next day.

Staying downtown would also get you a jump on your embarkation morning, enabling further sightseeing or a more leisurely breakfast depending on how early you like to board.