Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

We're arriving at YVR on Wed. May 4, 8:43 am. Take cab ($35) to Hampton downtown on Robson. Drop off luggage and have lunch then explore the city - Stanley Park and Chinatown. Still figuring out other areas.
a variation of martincath's suggestion... Dim Sum in Chinatown for lunch? It's a form of Asian high tea where you sample variety of Chinese foods.

Otherwise....

• 8:43 YVR arrival
  • 9:15 taxi to Hampton Downtown
  • 10am hotel check-in
  • 10:30am would have you ready to test that shuttle to the cruise terminal for the free shuttles to Grouse and/or Capilano for the day. Hit Stanley Park on the return.
  • sunset 8:45pm.... lots of time to take advantage of daylight. Perhaps cram in Fly Over Canada?
  • perhaps at late night bus/taxi trip to La Casa (closes at 11pm) to check out some 218 flavours of gelato for desert to end the day?

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

The Hampton Inn does offer a free shuttle anywhere within in the downtown core which includes Canada Place so keep the $10 in your pocket. My experience with hotels that offer these shuttles is that you book the shuttle time when you check into the hotel. Unless you really want to hang around Canada Place for 2 hours from 10 am until noon, I personally would use the morning to explore more of Vancouver and arrive at Canada Place about 1 pm and avoid a lot of the lines.

All of part 1!? I think you may be the only person ever to do so;-)

BTW, you now have $4 extra to spend - Hampton is far enough from the pier that it's in the $31 fixed rate cab zone. Spend it on a couple of apple tarts at the New Town Bakery in Chinatown for a mid-morning snack!

Thank you for that tip! I really appreciate this thread, and yes it was time consuming!

a variation of martincath's suggestion... Dim Sum in Chinatown for lunch? It's a form of Asian high tea where you sample variety of Chinese foods.

Otherwise....

• 8:43 YVR arrival
  • 9:15 taxi to Hampton Downtown
  • 10am hotel check-in
  • 10:30am would have you ready to test that shuttle to the cruise terminal for the free shuttles to Grouse and/or Capilano for the day. Hit Stanley Park on the return.
  • sunset 8:45pm.... lots of time to take advantage of daylight. Perhaps cram in Fly Over Canada?
  • perhaps at late night bus/taxi trip to La Casa (closes at 11pm) to check out some 218 flavours of gelato for desert to end the day?

Great suggestions! It sounds great and workable. Thank you for the timetable!

The Hampton Inn does offer a free shuttle anywhere within in the downtown core which includes Canada Place so keep the $10 in your pocket. My experience with hotels that offer these shuttles is that you book the shuttle time when you check into the hotel. Unless you really want to hang around Canada Place for 2 hours from 10 am until noon, I personally would use the morning to explore more of Vancouver and arrive at Canada Place about 1 pm and avoid a lot of the lines.

Thank you for the hotel shuttle update and advice about arriving later at the port. Also want to say a very special thank you for what you have done with this thread. It has been an adventure in itself getting through it. :)

My daughter will be driving us to Canada Place but she has to get back to work for 11:00 AM. How early can we arrive and drop off luggage with the porters? Any thoughts on how easy/difficult it is to just drop off passengers and luggage?

My daughter will be driving us to Canada Place but she has to get back to work for 11:00 AM. How early can we arrive and drop off luggage with the porters? Any thoughts on how easy/difficult it is to just drop off passengers and luggage?

Really no problem, just use the Howe St. ramp and you will be directed down yet another ramp into the bowels of the terminal where you will be directed to back up to a curb almost in front of the passenger entrance where you will take your luggage out of the trunk and a porter will be right there to take it from you. I have done it a number of time and its pretty simple. There are signs suggesting that tipping the porters is not necessary....my advice, give them $2 a bag so they don't end up in Burrard Inlet.:)

As to the time - officially they don't start accepting incoming bags until 10am, though the actual start time could be earlier (if there's only your ship, or just one other, they'll be done offloading quicker than the three-ship days they have to set the official timetables for).

Depending where your daughter works and therefore how long she feels comfortable with leaving the pier again, she could drop you and your bags off as early as 9:30am and there's a chance you'd be able to drop bags right away - worst case you'd then have to hang around for a half hour.

That would let you spend the rest of the morning pootling around Gastown, Seawall, some of Stanley Park, see the Olympic cauldron, do FlyOverCanada. etc.

As to the time - officially they don't start accepting incoming bags until 10am, though the actual start time could be earlier (if there's only your ship, or just one other, they'll be done offloading quicker than the three-ship days they have to set the official timetables for).

Depending where your daughter works and therefore how long she feels comfortable with leaving the pier again, she could drop you and your bags off as early as 9:30am and there's a chance you'd be able to drop bags right away - worst case you'd then have to hang around for a half hour.

That would let you spend the rest of the morning pootling around Gastown, Seawall, some of Stanley Park, see the Olympic cauldron, do FlyOverCanada. etc.

She works on Commercial Drive so I don't think that it would take her too long to get there. We are staying at the Days Inn on Kingsway (cheap but we want to spend our money on the cruise). Would you estimate a half hour to get to Canada Place from there?

She works on Commercial Drive so I don't think that it would take her too long to get there. We are staying at the Days Inn on Kingsway (cheap but we want to spend our money on the cruise). Would you estimate a half hour to get to Canada Place from there?

In the mid to late morning the drive time should be about 20 minutes but with construction delays and traffic congestion around Canada Place on cruise ship mornings 30 to 35 minutes should be adequate.

PDs numbers are pretty much the same as I'd suggest, and I've been driving ~80% of that route twice a week for four years in rush hour. The biggest issue is that GPS units cannot seem to accurately factor in the 'on demand' traffic lights for cross traffic and pedestrians, all sensor/button controlled so only on if somebody is physically present waiting to cross. If your daughter uses a GPS, whatever time it suggests pad by at least 5 minutes.

Since your daughter only has about a 15 minute drive (depending where she works on The Drive, could be anywhere from 10-20 without traffic) she can safely aim to get you the bag drop for as late as 10:30am and have plenty of time to get to work. Leaving the hotel at 10am should be ideal for her schedule.

I think you are looking at a Tuesday morning.... suggested timeline....

• 10am depart Days Inn for the 25 minute trip. This gives you 10 minutes contingency cruise terminal
  • 10:35am depart cruise terminal. Around 15 minutes with traffic, but budget extra 15 minutes for contingency (like looking for parking).

Of course.... you can depart the Day's at 9:45am.... if 10am is when they are ready to accept your checked luggage.

Edited by xlxo

I have a question regarding taxi's and how available they are at Canada Place. Specifically, after we disembark, are there sufficient taxis in the area as we exit? Or do we have to go to the Pan Pacific at hail one?

As an alternative, we may rent a car at Canada Place (or there abouts) - any pros/cons about this are appreciated. We know that it is more expensive to rent a car at port but I'm weighing convenience vs. cost at this time.

First, thanks in advance! How difficult is it to take the Sky Train from the airport with luggage( 2 people with 1 rolling suitcase, a carry on, and backpacks)? I have done this before on Seattle's Light Rail, but do not know if it is an issue on the Sky Train. If it is an issue....any suggestions as to cab or shuttle company? Are there any particular hotels to avoid by Canada Place?

I have a question regarding taxi's and how available they are at Canada Place. Specifically, after we disembark, are there sufficient taxis in the area as we exit? Or do we have to go to the Pan Pacific at hail one?

As an alternative, we may rent a car at Canada Place (or there abouts) - any pros/cons about this are appreciated. We know that it is more expensive to rent a car at port but I'm weighing convenience vs. cost at this time.

There are plenty of taxi's at Canada Place . Theer usually is a line of about 50 taxis outside the port to pickup passengers. you might have to wait for 10 minutes for a taxi depending on how many ships are in port.

Most rental car companies are located off site . If you want to get a rental to go to the airport from pier . Some companies have an extra charge of $50 to $100 for dropping off at the airport.

First, thanks in advance! How difficult is it to take the Sky Train from the airport with luggage( 2 people with 1 rolling suitcase, a carry on, and backpacks)? I have done this before on Seattle's Light Rail, but do not know if it is an issue on the Sky Train. If it is an issue....any suggestions as to cab or shuttle company? Are there any particular hotels to avoid by Canada Place?

The Canada Line to the airport is about a block and slightly uphill from the pier.

Hotels around Canada Place are fine . Most hotels in the downtown core are fine. We you start looking at hotels on the east side of the downtown core . They aren't recommended.

Vancouver trolley has shuttle that runs out to the airport and most of the hotels near the airport have free shuttles.

The Canada Line to the airport is about a block and slightly uphill from the pier.

Hotels around Canada Place are fine . Most hotels in the downtown core are fine. We you start looking at hotels on the east side of the downtown core . They aren't recommended.

Vancouver trolley has shuttle that runs out to the airport and most of the hotels near the airport have free shuttles.

Thank you!

There are normally lots of cabs at Canada Place, not as many as say at Port Everglades, and you may have a 10 to 15 minute wait. If the line is to long you have the option of walking to the Pan Pacific which forms part of Canada Place or to the Fairmont Waterfront hotel which is across the street from the cruise terminal and catching a cab from there. Plan that you fare to YVR will be about $35 CAD. The cabbies will accept USD but you will not get the full exchange rate....they will also accept Visa and MC.

National/Alamo have a counter inside the Pan Pacific, Thrifty/Dollar are about 3 blocks away and will pay your cab fare and the rest will pick you up with a shuttle. A cab is much more economical.

The Waterfront Station from which the Canada Line operates is about a 3 block walk from Canada Place. It is the red brick building you will see to the left as your exit Canada Place. The ramps have a modest uphill grade. Resist the temptation to take the entrance off the Howe St. ramp and continue up the ramp to Cordova St, turn left and enter the station tru the main doors, there is good signage once in the building. You will want to catch the YVR/Airport Station, avoid the train that goes to Richmond/Brighouse Station. With the type of luggage you have and if you are able-bodied you will have no trouble at all, cars for the Canada Line were built with luggage in mind. A cab fare will run you about $35 your Canada Line fare will be $4 pp. Almost all of the hotels around Canada Place are good to excellent, once you have an idea of few I am sure one of the regular posters can provide the pro and cons of each.

The Waterfront Station from which the Canada Line operates is about a 3 block walk from Canada Place. It is the red brick building you will see to the left as your exit Canada Place. The ramps have a modest uphill grade. Resist the temptation to take the entrance off the Howe St. ramp and continue up the ramp to Cordova St, turn left and enter the station tru the main doors, there is good signage once in the building. You will want to catch the YVR/Airport Station, avoid the train that goes to Richmond/Brighouse Station. With the type of luggage you have and if you are able-bodied you will have no trouble at all, cars for the Canada Line were built with luggage in mind. A cab fare will run you about $35 your Canada Line fare will be $4 pp. Almost all of the hotels around Canada Place are good to excellent, once you have an idea of few I am sure one of the regular posters can provide the pro and cons of each.

Awesome!!!! Thank you so much for the directions....:)

I think everything you asked got answered in plenty detail Magellan except:

compared to LINK, Canada Line is a dream to use with luggage. Floors all perfectly level inside the carriages and matched in height with station platforms, so even tiny roller wheels don't fall in gaps. Luggage space under every seat, so no need to lift suitcases up into luggage racks. If you managed the baggage you have on LINK, you will have absolutely no problem using SkyTrain.

PDs directions were FROM Canada Place TO SkyTrain - you'd be coming the other way, and going to a hotel by the sounds of it... Depending which hotel, other stations might be closer than Waterfront. Google has very accurate maps, with good walking directions including altitude changes, pedestrian-only stairs and the like so plugging in a potential hotel as the destination with YVR Airport Station as the start point will get you good directions as to which station to get off at and how to then walk to the hotel (example here with Hampton Inn downtown).

And the shuttle mentioned by K50 above is Vancouver Shuttle, not actually related to the HOHO Trolley folks. It will take you ad hoc to the airport after a cruise, but coming inbound is pre-booked 'milk run' pickups around the airport hotels in two big loops - odds are low that any inbound flight time will coincide nicely with the shuttle as they only have two inbound trips on mornings when ships are actually in port. It's really focused on folks staying out near YVR overnight before cruising.

• What day are you arriving at the cruise terminal? We can assess traffic congestion and the number of boats arriving that day.
  • What time is your flight? We can assess the urgency of your departure.

If urgent... this is my strategy....

1. how long is the line at the terminal?
  2. Pan Pacific is my second choice for a cab as it feeds off the same taxi queue.
  3. Fairmont Waterfront is my third choice across the street. It too feeds off the same taxi queue.
  4. Canada Line subway would my final choice seeing all three cab pickup points overloaded. Need to factor in the time it takes to walk to the station, time to figure out the ticket machine, and time to walk to the train. This can be 10 to 15 minutes to someone new.

forget the rental car.... there is a line and the paper work would take too long. Yep there's the additional cost for the drop off.

If multiple ships are in port.... the taxi's are all on standby and street parking is dedicated to an oversized taxi queue. Vancouver has a taxi surplus.... it's just the time it takes to load in the cruise terminal. Loading from the hotels is a secondary option to speed things up.

On some days.... a weekend morning marathon/parade will mess up traffic and only then would I choose the train.

Otherwise....don't be in rush to Canada.... it's a very friendly country with a collapsed currency.