Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

The statues are ALL inside the terminal, one set for Domestic and one for International, and in both cases just outside the secure area (obviously no customs on domestic flights!) Both the canoe and the figures are official meeting areas, so this is 100% definitely where NCL means - but frankly I would cancel the NCL transfer as it is marked up in price beyond any rational concept and will add no convenience for you (indeed, forcing you to meet them where literally EVERYONE who is meeting their friends and family members is going to be hanging around is simply idiotic - it's a zoo when multiple flights arrive so spotting the NCL person will be hard).

You will also have to walk past the Skytrain and both the limo and taxi lines back into the airport in order to get from the Fairmont to where they want you to meet them. Why not just get in one of those cabs (fixed rate, CAD$35 - probably about the same price for your transfer per person!) instead and be on your way immediately, instead of waiting for other arriving flight pax? Or if you want to save a few bucks, take Skytrain downtown for $9pp ($7.75 on weekends)?

Also, unless you are arriving very late at night I would reconsider staying at the airport Fairmont. Because it's a very nice hotel (and the only one actually on-site, literally connected to the terminals) it is expensive - more expensive than a perfectly nice downtown hotel, from which you would be able to walk to the pier or take a sub-$10 cab ride. If you have no time at all to sightsee an airport hotel is a sensible choice - but with our late sunsets, even if you arrive early evening you could enjoy a few hours of exploring downtown and have a vastly greater range of dining options for dinner and breakfast next day.

Staying downtown would also get you a jump on your embarkation morning, enabling further sightseeing or a more leisurely breakfast depending on how early you like to board.

Thanks for the information. When I saw those statues in the website photos I wondered if those might be the spot, so that answers my question. :D

The NCL transfer is $25 USD which was why I leaned more towards it than taking a cab. I've been to Vancouver several times so I've seen Stanley Park (which I loved), Gastown, the suspension bridge (I think I still have a photo of me posing on it), Granville (sp?) Island and all. I remember walking down to Canada Place a few times during my visit and that there were cruise ships there at the time. I always said I'd take a cruise out of Vancouver one day, so this is finally my chance. And actually I have a lot of fond memories of Vancouver (it was the first major city I visited post-9/11 and everyone was super wonderful).

I have plenty of time to change my reservations. My cruise isn't until the end of September, so this will give me more time to check out hotel prices if I decide to stay downtown. :)

I've been to Vancouver several times so I've seen Stanley Park (which I loved), Gastown, the suspension bridge (I think I still have a photo of me posing on it), Granville (sp?) Island and all. I remember walking down to Canada Place a few times during my visit and that there were cruise ships there at the time...
Some ideas to check out for a returning visitor....

• Whistler? Sea 2 Sky Gondola?
  • Victoria? Butchart?
  • Vandusen Gardens? QE Park?
  • Steveston? Storybrooke?

Some ideas to check out for a returning visitor....

• Whistler? Sea 2 Sky Gondola?
  • Victoria? Butchart?
  • Vandusen Gardens? QE Park?
  • Steveston? Storybrooke?

I have fond memories of Victoria. And an added treat - we watched them performing advance security for a visit from Queen Elizabeth (she was coming several weeks after my visit). Vancouver Island was amazing - I'll have return when I have a week or so and can stay in a cabin again like I did with my friends. I've never been to Butchart - perhaps one day when I have more time. And some family of mine have been to Whistler - never made it that far yet. Now that I'm retired I'll have a bit more time to travel more. :)

Thanks for the information. When I saw those statues in the website photos I wondered if those might be the spot, so that answers my question. :D

The NCL transfer is $25 USD which was why I leaned more towards it than taking a cab. I've been to Vancouver several times so I've seen Stanley Park (which I loved), Gastown, the suspension bridge (I think I still have a photo of me posing on it), Granville (sp?) Island and all. I remember walking down to Canada Place a few times during my visit and that there were cruise ships there at the time. I always said I'd take a cruise out of Vancouver one day, so this is finally my chance. And actually I have a lot of fond memories of Vancouver (it was the first major city I visited post-9/11 and everyone was super wonderful).

I have plenty of time to change my reservations. My cruise isn't until the end of September, so this will give me more time to check out hotel prices if I decide to stay downtown. :)

Well there is a lot more to Vancouver than what you have seen however, I would never suggest that you cancel your NCL transfer....while personally speaking we don't tend to use ships' transfers, there are times there is a certain sense of security or other reasons for using them. Indeed we have used them in London on one occasion and will be using one in Berlin next month. Sometimes it is just worth it not to have to deal with one's luggage....and as you have demonstrated in this case the transfer is less expensive than a cab....albeit I expect the transfer is in USD while the flat rate cab fare is in CAD which would make them about a wash cost wise.

The way you have explained the NCL meeting space, it is likely at the foot of these poles which are on level 2 of the international arrivals area. http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/art/the-heart-of-the-airport As you are staying at the Fairmont Airport you will have lots of time to scout them out and don't be afraid to ask the green vested YVR ambassadors about where NCL are meeting their passengers.

Well there is a lot more to Vancouver than what you have seen however, I would never suggest that you cancel your NCL transfer....while personally speaking we don't tend to use ships' transfers, there are times there is a certain sense of security or other reasons for using them. Indeed we have used them in London on one occasion and will be using one in Berlin next month. Sometimes it is just worth it not to have to deal with one's luggage....and as you have demonstrated in this case the transfer is less expensive than a cab....albeit I expect the transfer is in USD while the flat rate cab fare is in CAD which would make them about a wash cost wise.

The way you have explained the NCL meeting space, it is likely at the foot of these poles which are on level 2 of the international arrivals area. http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/art/the-heart-of-the-airport As you are staying at the Fairmont Airport you will have lots of time to scout them out and don't be afraid to ask the green vested YVR ambassadors about where NCL are meeting their passengers.

Thank you so much! Now that I'm retired, I suspect Vancouver will be on my list of places to revisit when I have a whole lot more time. As I'm only going to be there the one night, and will actually be just returning (a few days before) from a wedding cruise in the Caribbean in which I'm a bridesmaid to a very dear friend. I think once I step off my flight and head to the hotel, I'm mainly going to be relaxing. I'll have to wait and do my sightseeing of the places I never had a chance to visit on my other 3 times there! :) The cruise on the Sun was reserved over a year ago. My request to be a bridesmaid is only a few months old, but considering I have so much free time, taking 2 cruises in one month - I just couldn't pass it up!

Frankly I was shocked the NCL transfer was that reasonable (and yes, it's in USD and was added to the balance of what I owe on the cruise); I've seen the transfer costs with other cruises and went out of my way to avoid them because of the steep cost. I could always find less expensive transportation. When I saw it was $25 USD I figured why not since I'd be at the airport anyway. And while I plan on traveling light (although I'm heading onto Houston, Texas following the Sun's arrival in San Diego), I hate dealing with luggage - Period! LOL But seriously this is one time when a ship organized transfer may work to my favor.

Thank you so much for the information and the advice. I'll make a note about the statues and will remember the ambassadors if I have questions.

I will definitely be in Vancouver again - I'm just sorry it has taken so long to return. It's so weird being retired now, but the extra time will give me a chance to do what I've always loved doing - travel! Instead of 1 major trip a year, I may be able to do 2 or 3. I'm just thankful I'm able to!

I have fond memories of Victoria. And an added treat - we watched them performing advance security for a visit from Queen Elizabeth (she was coming several weeks after my visit). Vancouver Island was amazing - I'll have return when I have a week or so and can stay in a cabin again like I did with my friends. I've never been to Butchart - perhaps one day when I have more time. And some family of mine have been to Whistler - never made it that far yet. Now that I'm retired I'll have a bit more time to travel more. :)

A word of note on Butchard Gardens, if you ever have a choice of day to go, i suggest a saturday in the summer. The have a spectacular fireworks display like none ive ever seen. Set to music, the creations made from the fireworks brought me to tears. Breathtaking!!

A word of note on Butchard Gardens, if you ever have a choice of day to go, i suggest a saturday in the summer. The have a spectacular fireworks display like none ive ever seen. Set to music, the creations made from the fireworks brought me to tears. Breathtaking!!

I knew I had spelled Butchard wrong - I kept looking at it and thinking "That's not right" LOL Anyway, I will definitely remember your suggestion. Thanks! The last time I was on Vancouver Island it was in August, and my friends and I stayed in a cabin at one of the smaller resorts. They had wood cut-up for each cabin's use as it was FREEZING every morning we woke up LOL I still remember sitting on the deck in a heavy coat, sipping my coffee and watching the fog roll in! Good times.

I hope in a few years to take an Alaskan cruise and I'd like to use Vancouver as either my departure point or arrival point. Either way, I'd like to stay a few days on either end so I can visit the places I've never seen - like Butchard Gardens. :)

Well the spelling is Butchart however some people do pronounce it Buchard or Butchard and thus give rise to the incorrect spelling....not that I can ever be acused of speling corectly.;)

ROFL! Well, it's sort of like my hometown. We were named for Louis XVI of France for his aid during the American Revolution, so it should be pronounced Lew-ee-ville (using the French pronunciation of Louis). However, we get Lew-is-ville, Lou-a-vuhl, Lew-uh-ville, and any other variation you can think of. The tourism bureau put out a T-shirt a few years ago with all the many pronunciations and it was pretty funny. But we have a town called Versailles, and trust me, no one calls it by the palace's French pronunciation. The natives call it Ver-Sales. Thank God our Paris is, well, Paris. :D:D

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the information! It'll be nice being back in Vancouver, if only for a night.

My TA said that the NCL advised her to tell me that I should meet the NCL representative outside the airport near some wooden statues that "you can't miss"; it's supposed to be outside the customs area. It is not the NCL kiosk where they normally meet people (I'm guessing because they're not meeting me as I step off the flight). The thing is I'm not sure if they mean literal outside or just outside Customs, but still within a terminal.

I went online to the YVR website and did see some wooden statues in the images, but many appeared to be inside the terminal.

Would anyone know what they are describing, or perhaps have used the service in the past and know the meeting place? Thanks in advance for your help.

The wooden statues are called the "Welcome Figures". Some tribes hold out their hands like to give you a hug. http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/art/the-heart-of-the-airport

Yes they are inside the building.... but outside the customs area.

They are not to be confused has politicians holding out their hands waiting for arriving airport passenger's money. Check out this picture to see greeting area and where the statues are located.

2011-Vancouver-Trip-6-YVR-Airport-21.jpg

Edited by xlxo

The wooden statues are called the "Welcome Figures". Some tribes hold out their hands like to give you a hug. http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/art/the-heart-of-the-airport

Yes they are inside the building.... but outside the customs area.

They are not to be confused has politicians holding out their hands waiting for arriving airport passenger's money. Check out this picture to see greeting area and where the statues are located.

2011-Vancouver-Trip-6-YVR-Airport-21.jpg

Thank you! I've even saved the photograph for reference. I hope I'll have a few minutes to photograph the figures for myself. I love seeing what various airports do to make passengers feel welcome.

And I was LMAO about politicians holding out hands for our money when we arrive at the airport! I'm not surprised that they aren't. :)

If you look to the sign illuminated wall at the back of that photo and follow it to the right where there are some closed doors, that is the exit from the customs hall. Above the poles you can see the wonderful Haida canoe which done by the late, great Bill Read....that's what you really want to see and photograph.

Although there are a lot of discussions of when tipping is a good idea, can anyone advise on whether the tipping standards in Vancouver are the same as they would be in the US?

At home, I'd tip 10-20% for a cab ride, $2-3 for porter luggage assistance, and 20-25% for a restaurant meal.

Is that about right or am I drastically off on anything?

Although there are a lot of discussions of when tipping is a good idea, can anyone advise on whether the tipping standards in Vancouver are the same as they would be in the US?

At home, I'd tip 10-20% for a cab ride, $2-3 for porter luggage assistance, and 20-25% for a restaurant meal.

Pretty much the same . Servers in restaurants are usually 15% .

Taxi's I usually round up . To the nearest $10 or $5 ,

Example fare is $37 , I'll round up to $40.

Edited by Kamloops50

Pretty much the same in Vancouver, personally I tip 15% for a cab ride, 15 to 20% for a restaurant meal, and the $2 to $3/ bag for the porter round up to the nearest $5.

A lot of local restos now have forced tipping of 18 or 20% for groups of as low as 5 people. It should be on the pre-tax amount, but that's rarely properly calculated IME...

If you have 4 or fewer people, it's always discretionary and while the recommended numbers on the receipts seem to creep up every year, 15% will ensure no one spits in your food on repeat visits!

My default at home is to err on the side of high tipping since wages in the US are so abysmal, but I try not to be outlandish on foreign soil, since I know some cultures/professions consider tips insulting. (Figured that was unlikely in Canada, but it wouldn't hurt to know the general "pay scale" for tips.)

We have reservations at Hotel Blu prior to our cruise, but does anyone here know anything about this hotel? Never seems to be recommended anywhere and I'm beginning to wonder why. :confused: Thanks!

Hotel Blu is a newish property, I think it a combo hotel and condo....but not sure of that. It does have a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor.ca all of which are very good. I confess I have not been in the hotel yet, but it is well located at the gate to trendy Yaletown, and easy walk to historic Gastown and Chinatown as well as many downtown sites and attractions. The only negative re the location is that it is very close to BC Stadium and if you happen to be there on an evening that the BC Lions or the Vancouver Whitecaps are playing it could be a bit noisy an hour pre and post game. The reason it doesn't get a lot of play on Cruise Critic is because it is kind of out of the main swing of things....a lot of cruisers like to be within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place and the Blu is a bit out of that radius. However, rest easy I am sure that you will like the hotel and its location.

I walked past the building site many times as it was going up and did a little digging as I hadn't heard of Blu Hotels before, so can confirm it is a split residence/hotel. Not as swank as L'Hermitage, but still quite nicely-appointed suites.

Location is right beside the Hampton Inn, though very slightly better located as it's that teeny bit further from the stadium but most importantly has most of the windows pointed away from the stadium rather than toward it, so I'd imagine the rooms are a touch quieter than the Hamptons are for actual stadium events. Crowds on foot before and after events will go right past the hotel.

More Pros than Cons on the location IMO - you have many food choices very close by, e.g. Back Forty right across the street (loud and busy, especially pre-game, but does surprisingly good BBQ for a sports bar - and has frequently-amusing wordplay on their outside sign which changes often).

I'd avoid Bogarts in the Hampton - while it looks much better since the reno, the food overpromises and underdelivers and the staff need a LOT more training (I visited ~six months post-reno and it still sucked). Lots of other dining options within a couple of blocks up Robson if you just want cheap & cheerful - Ramen Jinya is a fave for noodles, do have the premium pork broth. Fancier fare is available with five mins walk into Yaletown, and you're about 15mins on foot from Gastown or Chinatown eateries. Walking to the pier with luggage might be more than most want to do - a mile, with some slight uphill parts.

I walked past the building site many times as it was going up and did a little digging as I hadn't heard of Blu Hotels before, so can confirm it is a split residence/hotel. Not as swank as L'Hermitage, but still quite nicely-appointed suites.

Location is right beside the Hampton Inn, though very slightly better located as it's that teeny bit further from the stadium but most importantly has most of the windows pointed away from the stadium rather than toward it, so I'd imagine the rooms are a touch quieter than the Hamptons are for actual stadium events. Crowds on foot before and after events will go right past the hotel.

More Pros than Cons on the location IMO - you have many food choices very close by, e.g. Back Forty right across the street (loud and busy, especially pre-game, but does surprisingly good BBQ for a sports bar - and has frequently-amusing wordplay on their outside sign which changes often).

I'd avoid Bogarts in the Hampton - while it looks much better since the reno, the food overpromises and underdelivers and the staff need a LOT more training (I visited ~six months post-reno and it still sucked). Lots of other dining options within a couple of blocks up Robson if you just want cheap & cheerful - Ramen Jinya is a fave for noodles, do have the premium pork broth. Fancier fare is available with five mins walk into Yaletown, and you're about 15mins on foot from Gastown or Chinatown eateries. Walking to the pier with luggage might be more than most want to do - a mile, with some slight uphill parts.

Thank you so much for you insights!! One of my guide books also recommended The Flying Pig or Frankie's Italian Kitchen and Bar. Do you know anything about either one of those?

The Flying Pig is a place where I haven't been, however Frankie's I am familiar with. There are certainly better Italin restaurants in the city but for $$ spent Frankie's deliverers what I consider solid, home style Italian soul food. Plus it's just around the corner from the Blu.

Thank you so much for you insights!! One of my guide books also recommended The Flying Pig or Frankie's Italian Kitchen and Bar. Do you know anything about either one of those?

The pig is a very solid choice - I'd say that the original location in Yaletown remains just barely the best, although both of the others have been open long enough there's no big difference in staff or food quality. Happy Hour is one of the longest-running and remains excellent value. Their newer seafood-focused spinoff, Wild Tale, is a step down in value though, personally I'm not returning there as I always felt my cash went much further in the pig.