Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Is Gutenberg's still in business - last time I walked down that way to BC Place stadium it looked like it wasn't opened and possibly even out of business.

Cheers!

Dennis

Possibly Dennis - website up, reviews online from less than a month ago but it's at least that long since I walked past it. Could be a reno? I'm out of town for a couple of weeks, I'll swing by after I'm home. Thanks for the heads up.

"And it's my understanding that arriving between 12 - 2 is a nightmare in this port."

Usually only a problem when three ships are in port and that only happens early and late in the season and it usually involves not enough US customs agent on hand to handle the extra cruisers boarding those three ships.

Cheers!

Dennis

Ours is a two ship day, but still at least four thousand people on the two ships. It really doesn't matter to me what is the cause of the problem, only that it affects me.

Update on Gutenberg's - was by there yesterday in the rain on my way to BC Place for the Lions game and there is definitely something going on. It is closed as I went by around 4 PM - there are signs in the windows saying " Leased " - but didn't see any signs saying closed and definitely no one in the restaurant.

Cheers!

Dennis

White Spot is a local chain that has been around since 1928 - there is one a little over 2 blocks from the hotel.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.whitespot.ca

I eat there once or twice a week as it is near where I live.

If you like fish - the Fish Shack is a half block away and is also busy.

Your hotel has a bar/restaurant that seems to be busy when I walk by.

Most of the eateries on Granville are more pubbed theme as you are in the Entertainment District.

Just a few suggestions from a local.

Cheers!

Dennis

To Dennis' reply I'll add that Vancouver blocks are very short, so heading straight down Helmcken into Yaletown adds many resto choices within say 15 minutes walk. The Keg or Milestones or Earls for decent chain dining, Flying Pig for tremendous value Happy Hour eats (and also good value fairly seasonal menu), a Cactus Club Cafe, Rodneys oysters, and many more. If you have any particular food loves or hates, feel free to ask for more detail.

Oh, and thanks for checking Gutenburgs Dennis. If Leased signs are up that's almost certainly a new resto opening soon - hopefully a good one!

We are looking to fly into Seattle weds night then take the train to Vancouver Thurs morning has anyone done this . Is it easy? We will have any time to check out Vancouver ? I really want to check out the suspension bridge. Our cruise is June 2017 .Or should we just fly into Vancouver Thur night.

Lisa

We are looking to fly into Seattle weds night then take the train to Vancouver Thurs morning has anyone done this . Is it easy? We will have any time to check out Vancouver ? I really want to check out the suspension bridge. Our cruise is June 2017 .Or should we just fly into Vancouver Thur night.

Lisa

It's our favourite way of crossing the border other than our own car, by far the most civilized method both for treatment at the border (no stop at all northbound, do customs/immigration on arrival at VAC) and niceness of the ride (smooth, close to the coast for views, booze available on board).

Sounds like you are boarding Friday or later from your note, so you would not be taking train the same day you need to be on the ship (many do, it's a very low-risk proposition, but definitely no time for sightseeing that way). Morning train arrives in Vancouver just before noon - sched might change by next June but it hasn't changed much in the 5+ years I've been taking it - so you'd have an entire day (afternoon/evening then the morning you board) to see the sights. Not enough to really do Vancouver justice - a week or more is needed for that - but enough to get a taste.

Of course the BEST option is to fly straight to YVR, but on the Wednesday - why waste time south of the border when you could be up here? ;-)

Lisa

We recently took the train from Vancouver to Seattle for our cruise,having spent 2 weeks in Vancouver. We returned to Vancouver afterwards by car. As Brits we all found the car much better, taking the coastal road part of the way and no problem early afternoon with Canadian customs ( friendly, polite and 5 mins wait) The train started with the US customs and shunted into a room individually to pay $6 exactly ( no change possible and no explanation as to what it was for. All had Paid for ESTAs already)to enter US followed by a very slow train and further passport inspection on the train at the border. Guess we are just not used to the speed of the Amtrak trains and constant whistle blowing compared with European or even main line British trains. The views from the car were much better but I would vote for flying into Vancouver early every time.

Things to consider....

• what time does the train depart or arrive to relation to your flight? For most... it means paying for a room in Seattle the night before the morning train.
  • what time do I need to get to the station?
  • what time do I need to get to the station to secure those West facing seats that offers the better view for the 5 hour ride? How many hours extra? How much sleep am I giving up?
  • how much extra is business class?
  • the train does not pickup at the airport.... need to budget for a transportation from the airport to the Amtrak station.
  • you also need to budget for a taxi from Vancouver's train station to your hotel.

without a car.... I like the $50 quick shuttle. 6 to 7 daily trips from SeaTac to Vancouver downtown.

do you plan to do sightseeing in Seattle? Then yes, the train makes sense. Otherwise, the hotel eats into your savings.... as well as your time.

Edited by xlxo

We are arriving in mid October for our cruise down the coast to San Diego. Our flight arrives on a Monday at 10:45 am. We thought about going to Cap bridge that afternoon. According to the website, the park closes at 5 pm, at that time of year. My questions relate to the shuttle service as we will not have a vehicle. The fall shuttle schedule is not yet posted on the website. Does anyone have a general idea of the schedule? Do they still run every 15 minutes or is that only in high tourist season? Does the shuttle run until just after the park closes?

How long should we allocate for seeing the bridge? And how is it for someone who can't do many flights of stairs? I'm travelling with an 80 year old who prefers flat, easy walking. Also, does the admission price include all aspects of the park or does one have to pay extra for something like the Cliff Walk? I couldn't figure that out from the website so hope the admission includes full access.

Thank you!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The admission price includes all the attractions at the site - as for the 80 year old - from the entrance to the park and to the actual bridge is basically flat - there are two or three steps to get onto and off of the bridge - as you start across the bridge you will slope downwards until in the middle and then slightly upwards until you are across and repeat the process for the return trip.

Once across there are several attractions - the nature walk and tree walk both have stairs so likely to be a problem for the 80 year old - there are a couple small ponds that you can walk without trouble.

The cliff walk has several very steep and narrow set of steps. Perhaps while you are doing that the 80 year old could wander around the entrance and study the extensive First Nations display or have a coffee or something stronger or do a little shopping in the trading post.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

I'll add....

• mid-October has sunset around 6:30pm. Thus the park closes earlier.
  • They say 1 in 20 are unable to make the bridge crossing. Hard for me to say if the senior will have difficulties. Going after 4pm would avoid the crowds that makes the makes the bridge sway less. An alternative would be Grouse Mountain. Just get into the gondola. However, Grouse just created a special open air VIP deck above the gondola. The senior would just surf their way to the top without needing to take a step (just the stairs to the deck).
  • check out this video to see what to experience at the Capilano.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Here's details on the ride the roof option.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grouse-mountain-skyride-surf-adventure-1.3679754

Thank you both for the info. I think I might have more of an issue than the 80 year old! I do not like swaying bridges! I should have realized that a suspended bridge would sway! So for the people who do not make it across, what do they do? It sounds like the activities are on the other side so it would be a shame to spend $80 if I couldn't do it.

Thanks for the suggestion of Grouse. We saw the news reports about the VIP deck. Do you think that would be open in mid October? The VIP deck, I'm sure the gondola will run.

I would be inclined to phone the bridge at 1 877 985 7474 and inquire about their upcoming fall shuttle sked. I normally suggest that a person should plan 2 to 2.5 hours to enjoy the attraction and to that you need about 30 to 35 mins for travel in either direction. As to how enjoyable the attraction would be for an 80 yr old, it really would depend on her balance and mobility. however it is important to realize that the bridge does move.however.

Thanks, PD! I'll give them a call about the schedule and to see if they can suggest anything for me to do to stop the motion sickness from the bridge movement (like seabands which I'll have with me for the cruise). We have a plan B which would be Van Dusen Gardens. It sounds like it's relatively easy to get to via transit from Canada Place. We would have to go to the hotel first to dump our luggage and grab a bite to eat but then we have all afternoon to explore. Is it kind of like Butchart Gardens in that it's nice to visit at any time of year? And is the Bloedel Conservatory worthwhile to see, too?

We will be disembarking Radiance of the Seas and embarking on Celebrity Solstice on Sept. 9th. Will the 2 ships be alongside each other. After our Radiance Alaska cruise, will we be going through Canadian and American customs? The same question for boarding the Solstice. How smooth will the transition between the two ships be? Any suggestions on how to handle our luggage? Any other tips will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Rich

We will be disembarking Radiance of the Seas and embarking on Celebrity Solstice on Sept. 9th. Will the 2 ships be alongside each other. After our Radiance Alaska cruise, will we be going through Canadian and American customs? The same question for boarding the Solstice. How smooth will the transition between the two ships be? Any suggestions on how to handle our luggage? Any other tips will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Rich

What is the last port before Vancouver?

If you stop in Victoria before Vancouver there probably won't be any Canadian Customs or immigration. The transfer should be fairly easy . Try and get the latest disembarkation time possible. As you leave the terminal , ask on of the ports that help disembarking passengers to take your bags to the bag drop area . Count on having to possibly keep busy for a couple of hours before they will allow you to line up for check in. Check in is now done before security .

No stop in Victoria, so I assume there will be Canadian customs?

It would appear that you are taking the Solstice to Hawaii on 9/9 so you will have to clear CBSA upon your disembarkation at Canada Place followed by clearance by CBP upon embarkation of the Solstice. However, I would inquire at the Passenger Services Desk on the ROS about be treated as an in transit passenger....I am not certain that it can be arranged between 2 different lines but we have had it at Canada Place when just changing ships of the same line. If it can be done then you and your luggage will go directly to a secure lounge in CP then proceed directly aboard the ship without clearing either customs. If not, then Celebrity's shore staff will likely not begin processing embarking passengers until about 10 to 10:30 am and you will have to recheck your luggage with shoreside porters.

I booked this hotel because it was a Hop on Hop off Trolley stop. Is there restaurants, bars, convenience stores in close proximity, walking distance. Thanks in advance?

You're just one short block from Granville Street entertainment district, with more bars than you can shake a stick at - and plenty of restos if you're not too picky. Convenience stores are scattered around too, although personally I'd walk the 400 metres to Nesters Market at Seymour & Nelson for a better selection and lower prices.