Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

We're flying in a day ahead, and friends of my in-laws are joining us later that night at the same hotel. How hard is it to get a 6 person cab on a Saturday from the hotel (Days Inn Downtown) top Canada Place? If it's near impossible, my wife and I van load the in-laws and their friends in a cab and walk the few blocks there.

Also, anyone know what the beat time to arrive for a Princess cruise on a Saturday would be (4 pm departure)? One of the in-laws friends may be using a wheelchair or a scooter

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

No 6 pax cabs in Vancouver - max 5 seats due to minivans being set up for wheelchairs in back (NB: this is also the luggage space, so with a wheelchair inside 2 or 3 of you may have to walk rolling a case each if you send the others in a cab). It's a very easy walk from the DI though.

Sat 17 Sep has 2 ships in port - end of season things are generally smoother, but I'd still be inclined to arrive after 2pm to minimise queuing. I'd leave bags at hotel, go sightsee, then on the way back from whatever you're doing drop off some of your party at the pier and go grab the bags from the hotel at 2ish.

If you must be onboard ASAP, show up at 10am - bag drop will definitely have started by then on a 2-shipper, so you should be near the front of the lines regardless of how they are running operations that day (and wheelchair person plus at least one companion should get at least somewhat expedited service).

the DI Downtown is only about a 5 minute walk to Canada Place so that should not be a problem for you.
At 350m or 0.2 miles on Google Maps..... I would vote for a walk. It's basically the length of a cruise ship. About a little more than what I walk from my forward cabin to the main dining room. It's not worth the cab! You might even waste money being caught on that long queue to unload baggage in the cab..

We are two active senior ladies flying into Vancouver the day before our Celebrity Infinity cruise, and staying overnight at the Blue Horizon. We will have a large suitcase and carry on each. What are the options for getting from the airport to the hotel? Thanks!

We are two active senior ladies flying into Vancouver the day before our Celebrity Infinity cruise, and staying overnight at the Blue Horizon. We will have a large suitcase and carry on each. What are the options for getting from the airport to the hotel? Thanks!

You do have the option of taking the Canada Line from YVR station to the Vancouver Centre station, however this entails a walk from the Vancouver Centre station of some 7/8 blocks....but all level and very safe. If you find this a bit daunting with luggage then I would suggest a cab from YVR to the hotel, the flat rate fare will be $31 CAD for the two of you.

Cheapest: SkyTrain and walk (depending on which way you exit the station approx 1km or <2/3rds mile) for $7.75ea (weekday <6:30pm) or $6.75ea (weekends, evenings) for approx USD10-12 total - NB: need a credit card that works abroad, ideally Chip & PIN, or CAD cash, and up here senior means 65+ (<65 fares would be $9/$7.75pp)

Fanciest: take a limo! Sedans would cost $53+5%tax+15%tip ~USD48 total

In-between: cabs, fixed rate of CAD$31 (most give $35 total) ~USD26 total

Both of the above take credit cards and almost certainly USD (at a worse-than-official exchange rate) and you do not need to prebook - just walk outside and join the taxi or limo queue respectively.

Priciest, slowest: cruiseline transfer, if offered day before, for approx USD$24-29pp

Edited by martincath
clarify senior age

Thanks so much for the information on getting to the Blue Horizon from the airport . Although the train price is tempting it sounds like we should taxi in - leave the walking for touring after we get to the hotel. I'm under 5 feet tall - and manage to fully pack my suitcases to the weight limit!

What is the best way, the the least amount of walking, to get from Canada Place to the Roundhouse Community Center? Thanks.

If you mean 'the mode of transport that will get me as close as possible' then a taxi can take you from one right to the other.

If you mean 'which walking route is the shortest' then this one. The angled part of Cambie cuts a few yards off the distance.

Depending what the event is you're attending at Roundhouse, you may be able to get in from a closer entrance than the one on the map - right at the corner of Davie there's a really good landmark, a steam engine. That whole building is the roundhouse, and sometimes the doors opening into the circular area are also available.

If you mean 'the mode of transport that will get me as close as possible' then a taxi can take you from one right to the other.

If you mean 'which walking route is the shortest' then this one. The angled part of Cambie cuts a few yards off the distance.

Depending what the event is you're attending at Roundhouse, you may be able to get in from a closer entrance than the one on the map - right at the corner of Davie there's a really good landmark, a steam engine. That whole building is the roundhouse, and sometimes the doors opening into the circular area are also available.

Thanks

Assuming there is more than one of you compared to $35 CDN ($27 USD) for the taxi carload convenience.

So, if we take a cab from our downtown hotel to the train station and the cab fare is $10 CDN then USD $10 would be enough for tip and ride? I have not been anywhere that I have needed to figure this out. I am lost. Should we get some CDN somewhere?

Edited by peymas

Assuming there is more than one of you compared to $35 CDN ($27 USD) for the taxi carload convenience.

So, if we take a cab from our downtown hotel to the train station and the cab fare is $10 CDN then USD $10 would be enough for tip and ride? I have not been anywhere that I have needed to figure this out. I am lost. Should we get some CDN somewhere?

I just checked the RBC exchange rate and $10 USD would equate to about $12.40 USD which would certainly cover your $10 cab ride and tip. As for getting some CAD that us entirely up to you but if your visit us only for a day I probably wouldn't bother. However, I would keep my USD notes on the small side as you very likely to get your change in CAD.

Yes, handing over USD instead of CAD is effectively offering a very generous tip (depends if driver visits US and literally spends what you give them, or has to convert the cash to CAD locally, but somewhere in the 20-30% ballpark). I made change for a guy trying to buy a $2 hotdog just a couple of days ago who happily took CAD$20 in exchange for his US$20, and it made me very happy too!

Just check the exchange rate before you come in case it shifts significantly. Right now 1CAD = about 78cents US, if it goes back north of 84cents you can start worrying about adding a little extra for the inconvenience.

I read in a previous Thread that there is a Food Court close by to the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver within easy walking distance.

The member posting did not provide an address.

Can you provide such information?

Thanks

Bob

Thank you both for the info. I think I will get a little cad. Getting change from a 20 or at atm??? So if we want to ride sky train do we need cad?

It never hurts to get the "coin of the realm" and yes you can get a few dollars from an ATM, however by the time you pay the transaction fee and the exchange fee it can prove at bit expensive. That said, yes you will need to have CAD for SkyTrain and any other forms of public transit but that is about the only place you will need it.

I read in a previous Thread that there is a Food Court close by to the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver within easy walking distance.

Thanks

Bob

The Food Court adjoins the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel, just across the street and slightly west of Canada Place. I hope this map will help you find it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=49.286591%2C-123.112353&spn=0.004535%2C0.011083&hl=en&msa=0&z=17&ie=UTF8&mid=1i18Tgb7KSWx_qe9kuyJs33Jxp-U

Thank you both for the info. I think I will get a little cad. Getting change from a 20 or at atm??? So if we want to ride sky train do we need cad?

Only buses absolutely require cash - and even then, only if you just walk onto one. You can buy tickets from the vending machines at Skytrain stations with credit cards, and these are valid on the whole transit network for 90mins. Just make sure your card issuer knows you're traveling, and ideally have an up-to-date Chip card, as there are no manned booths to buy tickets from so if the TVM doesn't like your card you're hosed. Unless you're actually planning to shop for many small purchases, while local currency is always nice it is unnecessary here. Worst case, break that US$20 and get change in CAD.

Thanks

Bob

Basically right underneath the hotel and spreading across the next block north and west. Here's the list of options, and a map at the bottom of the page showing exactly where each is located.

Do taxi drivers except credit cards?

We arrive for one night pre-cruise in Vancouver. Can we get away without currency exchange using credit card only (transportation, food).

TD

Yes, Vancouver taxi drivers take Visa and MasterCard and yes you can get by using these credit cards for food and other services. In addition to Visa and MC some shops do take AMEX but Discover is not used; one word of caution is that you may wish to check with your credit card issuer to determine what kind of a foreign transaction fee they level in addition to the exchange rate.

Edited by Putterdude

The Food Court adjoins the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel, just across the street and slightly west of Canada Place. I hope this map will help you find it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=49.286591%2C-123.112353&spn=0.004535%2C0.011083&hl=en&msa=0&z=17&ie=UTF8&mid=1i18Tgb7KSWx_qe9kuyJs33Jxp-U

Putterdude

Thanks for the Information.

Bob

Hi all, thanks for answering questions. We are cruising out of Vancouver next month. We are coming in 3 days early and will have a car the entire time. 1 day we plan to explore Vancouver and one day we plan to drive up to Whistler. I understand that there is a suspension bridge that would fun to stop and see. One you pay for and another that is free. Any thoughts? Also on the last morning we need to return the car to the airport and get back to the cruise terminal. We can drop our wife's off at the ship with the luggage and then take the car to the Airport. What would be the most reasonable why to get back to the ship? Thanks for your input. Rlyans

Do taxi drivers except credit cards?

We arrive for one night pre-cruise in Vancouver. Can we get away without currency exchange using credit card only (transportation, food).

TD

Yes - just ask cabbies BEFORE you ride if their machine is working (it's amazing how often some of them apparently don't if they suspect a hefty USD par payment might be in the offing...) and if you have more than one CC, bring them in case transit machines don't like one or more of them. Restaurants, even fast food, will be fine - even some Food Carts take credit & debit.

Hi all, thanks for answering questions. We are cruising out of Vancouver next month. We are coming in 3 days early and will have a car the entire time. 1 day we plan to explore Vancouver and one day we plan to drive up to Whistler. I understand that there is a suspension bridge that would fun to stop and see. One you pay for and another that is free. Any thoughts? Also on the last morning we need to return the car to the airport and get back to the cruise terminal. We can drop our wife's off at the ship with the luggage and then take the car to the Airport. What would be the most reasonable why to get back to the ship? Thanks for your input. Rlyans

Exploring the city in a car is likely more trouble than it's worth unless you have a big group - parking is pricey, hard to find many places, and sometimes requires payment by CAD coins or smartphone.

Lynn Canyon is the free bridge, and IMO it's in no way a second string to Capilano which is outrageously priced for how much time it takes to see - us locals at least get a full year of entry for our almost-$40, but visitors mostly spend two hours in a horde of other tourists.

Lynn isn't as long, but has more impressive whitewater underneath than Cap and an actually-educational Ecology centre. Infinitely cheaper (free, including parking) it's hard to disagree the value is superior - only the difficulty of getting there by transit makes Cap a more viable choice for folks without a car.

Don't forget to stop on the way up or back to see the waterfalls, and there's another bridge high up - accessed from the Sea to Sky Gondola - which might be enticing.

I'd do as you suggested - drop everyone and bags att he pier then take car back. See if you can change to dropoff to a downtown office (and the pickup - avoid those airport taxes!) but if you can't or YVR is cheaper, simply return on SkyTrain. For one person you can't beat the speed or price - $7.75 weekends or $9 weekdays inbound, and you'll end up at Waterfront Station just three blocks from the pier 26mins later. You can't possibly go wrong inbound, you start at one terminus and end at the other, no issues with different lines.

Vancouver is becoming less and less car friendly by the month and for that reason I would not recommend having a car for touring the sights of the city. You would likely be better off taking one of the HOHOs for the your city touring day. I am in the city frequently and I have just returned from a day in downtown Vancouver and even though I spent some 40 years driving in city I must say it has become pretty tedious.

There are the 2 suspension bridges on the north shore. The Capilano Suspension Bridge is by far the most interesting for tourists had has some very interesting .... if not touristy aspects to it....it is the one with the admission fee. The Lynn Canyon bridge is the free one and is in a for more natural setting with many trails to explore. Having been a 50 year resident of the north shore I find it difficult to recommend one over the other, it really depends upon what you are looking for and the experience you want.

In terms of getting from YVR to Canada Place you have two options. One is to take the Canada Line from YVR station to Waterfront Station then walk the 3 blocks to Canada Place...the full fare is $9.75 pp. Or you can grab a cab and the flat rate is $35....the cab is door to door and split between the 2 men....wll you decide.

Hello all...I am looking for some information and I have to admit, this thread is a bit overwhelming, BUT filled with a lot of good information. I'm hoping to get some answers to my specific questions...

I will be flying into Vancouver, one night before my cruise. There are two of us. I booked the Hotel Le Soleil. I saw the good reviews on Trip Advisor. We will probably be arriving around noon or in the afternoon (that's the goal) so there won't be much time for sightseeing. I am hoping for feedback on the following:

1. Feedback on Hotel Le Soleil?

2. Best transportation from airport to this hotel? I saw there is a sky train (though I know very little about it) that's a couple of blocks away from the hotel, but I'm not sure if this is a smart option. We will have two rolling suitcases and a couple of back packs. We are in our 40s if that helps with whether or not we can easily walk the short/long distance. If we were to take a taxi, how much would it cost?

Also transportation from hotel to pier?

3. Since we are only staying the night, what are your thoughts on currency? We will have to pay for a cab, dinner, a snack or two, and breakfast. Can we use USD or would we be better off using CAD? I'm assuming we could exchange at the airport, but I'm not sure what we would do with the "leftover" money? Can it be exchanged at the hotel or pier?

4. Dinner recommendations that are more casual and not too expensive, perhaps $20-$25 a meal. We love Italian if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by slyster