Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

I booked this hotel because it was a Hop on Hop off Trolley stop. Is there restaurants, bars, convenience stores in close proximity, walking distance. Thanks in advance?

There is a 7-11 about 3 blocks away at 1294 Granville. For a seafood restaurant I would recommend the Fish Shack which again is about a 5 min walk from your hotel and is also on Granville St. A moderately priced steak house is the Keg on Alberni St. which is about 15 min walk from the HI. There is a Starbucks within a block or so of the HI which may work for breakfast. The are a number of bars on Granville St. but I have aged out from the bar scene so really can't make a recommendation.

Any ideas on whether there are hotels somewhere between Canada Place and the Amtrak station that would have day rooms available? We're coming off a one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver and don't have Amtrak tickets until later in the afternoon. Looking for a place to put up our feet for the day.

Any ideas on whether there are hotels somewhere between Canada Place and the Amtrak station that would have day rooms available? We're coming off a one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver and don't have Amtrak tickets until later in the afternoon. Looking for a place to put up our feet for the day.

There are a couple hotels out near YVR that have day rooms but I am not aware of any downtown. You could try phoning the 3 downtown Fairmonts, the Pan Pacific, the Hyatt Regency and Four Seasons, they just may have one. Otherwise would you consider checking your luggage and do some touring of Vancouver?

There are a couple hotels out near YVR that have day rooms but I am not aware of any downtown. You could try phoning the 3 downtown Fairmonts, the Pan Pacific, the Hyatt Regency and Four Seasons, they just may have one. Otherwise would you consider checking your luggage and do some touring of Vancouver?

You could store your luggage at Canada Place till about 4 PM. Amtrak doesn't take luggage check-in till about 1 to 2 hours before the train departs. There might be luggage storage of billable at the train station as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All, i'm looking to get some ideas for what's reasonable to do in Vancouver during our brief pre-cruise stay. Assuming flights are on-time, we arrive around 3 PM on Thursday, and are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. We are planning to be at the cruise terminal around 1-2 PM on Friday. So that gives us one evening and one morning to explore. We're a family of four with two teenagers.

We're thinking about a short walk around Gastown on Thursday evening, and Stanley Park on Friday morning. I assume Gastown is pretty safe?

Is it realistic to go to the park for just a morning? If so, what's the best way to get to/from the hotel? And if so, what should we do while there? Are bike rentals available?

Any other suggestions? My thought is to grab lunch around noon, get our bags back from the hotel, and head to the pier. So that would give us until noon to play. Thanks!!

Edited by ibeplato

Hi, we are arriving from Toronto late in the afternoon and have decided to stay the night at the airport - Fairmount hotel. We'll take a cab to the pier the next morning. The hotel restaurant is very expensive - is there somewhere nearby that we could get a good meal but not break the bank?

We are staying in Vancouver for 3 days post cruise and therefore the decision to stay at the airport pre-cruise.

thanks in advance.

The connected airport food court is a good place for convenient cheap eats.

For additional savings look at the airport hotels further away from the airport for additional savings.

@Gran2five: what time is your late afternoon flight arriving. Some attractions like Capilano offer discounts for going late afternoon/evenings.

Hi, we are arriving from Toronto late in the afternoon and have decided to stay the night at the airport - Fairmount hotel. We'll take a cab to the pier the next morning. The hotel restaurant is very expensive - is there somewhere nearby that we could get a good meal but not break the bank?

We are staying in Vancouver for 3 days post cruise and therefore the decision to stay at the airport pre-cruise.

thanks in advance.

If you do stay in the Fairmont, the only way other than food court that you can get a reaonable meal is to use SkyTrain - because cabs are now fixed rate and pricing around Richmond is brutal; much rounding up of short fares occurred when the rates were set. So at least $20 outbound, then maybe $10-15 metered on the way back, is going to add maybe $40 incl tips to your meal cost...

Personally I'd also change hotels, then spend the savings on a nice meal you can walk to or get cheap cab fare both ways - like Fisherman's Terrace, Chef Tony's, or Sun Sui Wah/Kirin's Richmond branches. Dinesty Dumplings is also a good option for top notch grub at a reasonable price.

Hi All, i'm looking to get some ideas for what's reasonable to do in Vancouver during our brief pre-cruise stay. Assuming flights are on-time, we arrive around 3 PM on Thursday, and are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. We are planning to be at the cruise terminal around 1-2 PM on Friday. So that gives us one evening and one morning to explore. We're a family of four with two teenagers.

We're thinking about a short walk around Gastown on Thursday evening, and Stanley Park on Friday morning. I assume Gastown is pretty safe?

Is it realistic to go to the park for just a morning? If so, what's the best way to get to/from the hotel? And if so, what should we do while there? Are bike rentals available?

Any other suggestions? My thought is to grab lunch around noon, get our bags back from the hotel, and head to the pier. So that would give us until noon to play. Thanks!!

Gastown is both one of our most touristy and skeeviest areas - shortcuts down alleyways or heading further east than Carrall are likely to mean you seeing things you maybe aren't keen on - especially if the teens are younger.

That said - it's not dangerous, especially for tourists. While crime stats are relatively high (for Canada!) , it's local-on-local crimes and property theft, not muggings and murders. Until late in the evening, there will be tons of locals and tourists enjoying the stores, bars & restos so plenty of foot traffic.

Totally realistic to spend half a day in the park, especially with bikes. You can rent from Simons or JV just a few blocks from the Hampton, and then get on your wheels quickly. I'd recommend sticking to the Seawall and dedicated bike lanes to avoid traffic unless you're all experienced urban riders. Here's the official city bike trip planner.

A loop up and around the park on the Seawall and back should only take a little over an hour - say 90 mins with a few photostops. JV is cheaper for a short rental - up to 5 hours - but Simons daily rate of just $30 is the winner if you want them for longer. Unless you visit the aquarium, 2 hours should be plenty of time in the park pootling around the various spots like Rose Garden, Totems, Beaver Lake, Lost Lagoon on top of the time spent cycling to & from.

It would appear that you are taking the Solstice to Hawaii on 9/9 so you will have to clear CBSA upon your disembarkation at Canada Place followed by clearance by CBP upon embarkation of the Solstice. However, I would inquire at the Passenger Services Desk on the ROS about be treated as an in transit passenger....I am not certain that it can be arranged between 2 different lines but we have had it at Canada Place when just changing ships of the same line. If it can be done then you and your luggage will go directly to a secure lounge in CP then proceed directly aboard the ship without clearing either customs. If not, then Celebrity's shore staff will likely not begin processing embarking passengers until about 10 to 10:30 am and you will have to recheck your luggage with shoreside porters.

I would suspect that they would have to "land" in Canada to satisfy the requirement for a stop at a "foreign" port for both the RCCL cruise and the Celebrity one. And while RCCL and Celebrity are related I would be surprised if they were allowed to transit luggage from one to the other (but you never know, so worth checking with guest relations!) Even so it should be fairly painless. Clearing CBSA (Canadian customs) just involves filling in a form and handing it the officer (unless you are bringing in anything over your allowance).

As suggested request a later disembarkation. Just lately luggage drop off and the checkin desks have been opening earlier (as early as 9:30-9:45 am). So you should be able to walk off the Radiance, pick up your luggage, walk through the exit sign, locate the luggage drop off for Solstice and head to the checkin area (which will probably be upstairs in the conference centre), then checkin for the Solstice (worst case scenario you might be asked to take a seat for 15 minutes before being able to checkin) and decide whether you want to head straight back through security and US immigration and on to the ship or have a wander around Vancouver first! Make sure you keep all your documentation (Express Pass and passport for Celebrity checkin) with you along with any critical belongings (medications etc.) - pretty obvious, but people still manage to pack their passports in their suitcases from time to time!

@Gran2five: what time is your late afternoon flight arriving. Some attractions like Capilano offer discounts for going late afternoon/evenings.

Our flight arrives around 6 p.m. We have been to beautiful Vancouver before and will be there for 3 days after, thus the reason for staying at the airport hotel which we got at a bit of a discount. We may just settle for some fast food from the airport. thank you all!

Pat and Richard

Another vote for changing hotels.... especially if you are trying to look for alternative places for food.

Plug in your arrival dates and check out the Richmond airport rates compared to your Fairmont nightly rate.

Hmm.... wheels down 6pm? You should be ready for dinner around 7:30pm at a Richmond hotel.

Edited by xlxo

Other suggestions? What is your idea for "reasonable"? "Time reasonable"? "Cost reasonable"?

Here's one possible idea for Thursday evening...

• 3pm wheels down
  • 3:40pm in cab
  • 4:15pm hotel check-in
  • 4:45pm ready for the city.
  • 5pm catch last shuttle to Capilano? If you miss the last shuttle (5pm), you need to cab or public transit your way to the bridge.
  • 5:45 pm arrive at Capilano. You get the evening 20% discount!
  • 7:15 pm bus or cab ride back to the city. The last return to Vancouver shuttle ends at 6:30pm.
  • 7:45pm arrive in downtown. You can walk Gastown.... or head to Fly Over Canada. Last show is 9pm!
  • 9pm.... sunset and dreams about Vancouver the next morning.

Stanley Park is big.... need to think about what you want to do with your limited Friday morning. Some say to skip the welcome ship lunch trough and show up fashionably late around 3pm at the terminal to avoid the crowds. I'll let others comment on that suggestion.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I have been scouring these boards and learning a lot. Martin, you have been especially helpful.

I just have a couple more questions:

Canada Line: I plan on taking it from YVR to Waterfront to get to the St. Regis. I don't have the opportunity in my home town to use public transport, so I am having trouble reading the Canada Line website. Which ticket do I purchase to go from YVR to Waterfront? How much will that cost? Do I go to a booth, or buy from a machine? And what is the reverse process for getting from Canada Place to Waterfront to YVR when I return? Also, I think I read that luggage is okay on this line?

Bikes: are there any recommended bike rental places near the St. Regis? I think we will bike along the seawall to Stanley Park and around and about to Granville (if the weather is co-operative).

Dropping luggage at Canada Place: Can I drop luggage at 10ish and come back and board later in the day say 2ish? I know I asked this on another thread also, but here I am asking more questions, just thought I would group them together.

Thank you all in advance!!

Julie

Which ticket do I purchase to go from YVR to Waterfront? How much will that cost? Do I go to a booth, or buy from a machine? And what is the reverse process for getting from Canada Place to Waterfront to YVR when I return? Also, I think I read that luggage is okay on this line?
Canada Line tickets are available at the station vending machine. Cost is $9 if you arrive weekdays before 6:30pm. Other times it will be $7.75.

YVR to Vancouver is...

• $2.75 for a single zone
  • $1.25 weekday pre-6:30pm zone surcharge
  • $5 surcharge

Assuming there is more than one of you compared to $35 CDN ($27 USD) for the taxi carload convenience.

Dropping luggage at Canada Place: Can I drop luggage at 10ish and come back and board later in the day say 2ish?
CDS Baggage is next to the car rentals. They charge $8 ($7 for carry's) to hold your luggage at the cruise terminal til 4pm.

Some say nearby cruise terminal hotels are willing to hold your luggage for a little cheaper.

Answers in red.

I have been scouring these boards and learning a lot. Martin, you have been especially helpful.

Glad to help.

I just have a couple more questions:

Canada Line: I plan on taking it from YVR to Waterfront to get to the St. Regis. I don't have the opportunity in my home town to use public transport, so I am having trouble reading the Canada Line website. Which ticket do I purchase to go from YVR to Waterfront? How much will that cost?

Depends which day. Weekends & evenings, a One Zone adult fare, with Airport AddFare (automatically applied to all purchases at airport station), for $2.75+5=$7.75pp. Weekdays before 6:30pm, you need a Two Zone adult fare for base $4 instead for total $9pp. You can buy multiple tickets all in one transaction, and pay with a credit card.

Do I go to a booth, or buy from a machine?

Machine only - very obvious they are too, about six foot high with big touchscreens on them. It's basically a fully automated system, not even drivers on the trains.

And what is the reverse process for getting from Canada Place to Waterfront to YVR when I return?

Same machines, same price structure for timing, but no AddFare - that's inbound only - so pricing is only base ticket, $2.75 or $4pp.

Walking to Waterfront - basically stay on the street and DO NOT use the entrance on Howe right outside Canada Place. This does go into the station, but the wrong platform for a different line that goes entirely the wrong place. You can walk through the bowels of the station to get to the correct platofrm, but frankly it's much easier to just stay up top - from Howe turn left on Cordova, walk a couple of blocks and enter the station's front entrance where all the pillars are. Ticket machines right in the lobby, clear signage to Canada Line.

Also, I think I read that luggage is okay on this line?

Yes - lots of space under seats, extra legroom for bags at your feet.

Bikes: are there any recommended bike rental places near the St. Regis? I think we will bike along the seawall to Stanley Park and around and about to Granville (if the weather is co-operative).

EzeeRiders at the Convention Centre is likely the most convenient - it's close and you can get right onto the seawall as soon as you pick up the bikes. Simons is also close, much cheaper for a long rental, but is in the wrong direction right on Robson so no bike lanes for a couple blocks. If you want bikes all day I'd rent here, but push them along the sidewalks until you can get onto a proper bike lane e.g. on Dunsmuir, which goes right past your hotel. There's a painted lane on Richards that goes up to Dunsmuir and also down to the Seawall at the False Creek side if you're comfortable with those.

Dropping luggage at Canada Place: Can I drop luggage at 10ish and come back and board later in the day say 2ish?

Yes - IMO it's absolutely the most sensible way to board

edit - Sorry for redundancy - didn't see xlxo posts until after mine went up.

Edited by martincath

CDS Baggage is next to the car rentals. They charge $8 ($7 for carry's) to hold your luggage at the cruise terminal til 4pm.

Some say nearby cruise terminal hotels are willing to hold your luggage for a little cheaper.

Oh. Dang. I was hoping I could check in my luggage to the cruise and wander until I check myself in. So I have to pay baggage to hold my luggage and then come back and claim it? I will see if the hotel will hold it until I am ready to check in.

Thanks!

Answers in red.

edit - Sorry for redundancy - didn't see xlxo posts until after mine went up.

Again, Martin - thank you so much! Will be printing your instructions for Canada Line and looking up the bike rentals. :)

Looking forward to visiting your fine city! Haven't yet been to Dr. Sun Yat-Sen gardens that you recommended elsewhere - may be adding that to the list. :)

Julie

Again, Martin - thank you so much! Will be printing your instructions for Canada Line and looking up the bike rentals. :)

Looking forward to visiting your fine city! Haven't yet been to Dr. Sun Yat-Sen gardens that you recommended elsewhere - may be adding that to the list. :)

Julie

No worries. Sun Yat-Sen is well worth a visit (one hour if you arrive on the hour and immediately take a guided tour, or many hours if you're the kind of person who can sit and meditate in beautiful surroundings).

Just for clarity - xlxo's info re: CDS mgith be useful if you also want to ditch hand luggage (i.e. bags you want back before boarding, but do not want to schlep around while touring) or get a really early start on the day (e.g. rent bikes at 9am before you can drop bags with longshoremen). Personally I'd just leave 'em all in St Reg and go back there before boarding - if you rent from Simon's you'll pretty much pass the hotel en route anyway.

No worries. Sun Yat-Sen is well worth a visit (one hour if you arrive on the hour and immediately take a guided tour, or many hours if you're the kind of person who can sit and meditate in beautiful surroundings).

Just for clarity - xlxo's info re: CDS mgith be useful if you also want to ditch hand luggage (i.e. bags you want back before boarding, but do not want to schlep around while touring) or get a really early start on the day (e.g. rent bikes at 9am before you can drop bags with longshoremen). Personally I'd just leave 'em all in St Reg and go back there before boarding - if you rent from Simon's you'll pretty much pass the hotel en route anyway.

Excellent. :)

Thank you!

We're flying in a day ahead, and friends of my in-laws are joining us later that night at the same hotel. How hard is it to get a 6 person cab on a Saturday from the hotel (Days Inn Downtown) top Canada Place? If it's near impossible, my wife and I van load the in-laws and their friends in a cab and walk the few blocks there.

Also, anyone know what the beat time to arrive for a Princess cruise on a Saturday would be (4 pm departure)? One of the in-laws friends may be using a wheelchair or a scooter

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

We're flying in a day ahead, and friends of my in-laws are joining us later that night at the same hotel. How hard is it to get a 6 person cab on a Saturday from the hotel (Days Inn Downtown) top Canada Place? If it's near impossible, my wife and I van load the in-laws and their friends in a cab and walk the few blocks there.

Also, anyone know what the beat time to arrive for a Princess cruise on a Saturday would be (4 pm departure)? One of the in-laws friends may be using a wheelchair or a scooter

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

Even van-cabs in Vancouver typically only carry 4 pax although a very few do have jump seats in the back that can carry an extra pax or two. However, the DI Downtown is only about a 5 minute walk to Canada Place so that should not be a problem for you. With Princess, as you may know, you go directly to your cabin once embarkation begins and that is usually just before noon. People normally arrive at Canada Place between 1000 and 1030 to begin the pre-board process. However, if you want to avoid lines and forgo the embarkation day lunch then you my care to pass your luggage off to the porters between 0930 and 1000, go off to tour Vancouver and then arrive back at Canada Place at about 1300 to 1330 when the lines should be shorter.