Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Quick answer . To the hotel use a taxi . Taxi's are now fixed rate from the airport to town.

Most tourist attractions open between 9 and 10 in the morning. Check the time for the zip lines . They might open earlier.

You might find it easier that people arrange their own schedules for Saturday. It is doable but busy without a chance to free time.

Edited by Kamloops50

UPDATE:

I just checked both web sites and it looks like you need 15 at both places to get group pricing.

From the Cap Bridge you could take the #236 Grouse Mt bus right across the street from the bridge.

Fare is $2.75 for adults and $1.75 for seniors - not sure if the teens qualify for a student rate as I think it only applies to locals.

For the return you should be able to take the free shuttle back with your proof of lift ticket.

You might want to also see if there is a combine Bridge and Grouse ticket package. I seem to remember seeing an ad for it but don't remember the details.

Also check both web sites to see what constitutes a group - you may be able to get discount on tickets.

Hope this helps and some of the other locals are likely to be along with their info on this matter.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

We plan to fly into Vancouver on Saturday, June 25 and embark on the NCL Sun on Monday, June 27. Not everyone has booked flights yet but I expect everyone to be at the hotel by 7 pm or so on Saturday. We are staying at the Greenbrier Hotel on Robson (I know it has some mixed reviews but the larger rooms, location and really good deal I got make it worth the potential risk to us).

Is the skytrain from the airport a good idea (my family of 5 will be traveling together at least)? We will each have a full size suitcase and one carry on. If so, how do we get all the way to the hotel doors? What is the cost? Is there a better option? Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:40 p.m.

For Sunday - I'd like to do Capilano definitely (and we can grab the free shuttle from one block away from our hotel). I found the summer shuttle hours but the first one doesn't pick up until 8:40 am. What time does Capilano open in June? I really wanted to do it as early as possible and 9:00 a.m. seems really late since the sun will be up at 5:00 a.m. Will it be difficult to get a taxi(s) for 13 people if we can go earlier?

We are interested in the ziplines at Grouse Mountain, what would be the best way to get from Capilano to Grouse (I don't want to take the free shuttle for one back to Canada Place to pick up the other, unless that makes as much sense as any other option).

Am I crazy to think that if we do both, we could be back in downtown by 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. (maybe a bit earlier if Capilano opens earlier)?

Another vote for taxi from airport to hotel. It's $31 (USD$22) for the carload. Bus from subway station to hotel with luggage is a challenge and it's too far to walk with luggage (15 minutes/0.8 miles).

You can catch the Red Shuttle to Capilano at 8:40am to get to the bridge for the 9am opening...

https://capbridge-capilanosuspensi.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/January-2016-Shuttle.jpg

After Capilano, I would get some taxi's to travel the 5 minutes to Grouse. Otherwise, you can use public transit.

There is a Grouse shuttle, but I rarely see them do pickups outside the bridge because the Grouse shuttle is full. People do use the Grouse shuttle to get to the bridge AFTER seeing Grouse first. Then return downtown on the Capilano shuttles.

Why the urgency to be back downtown at 3pm? It's June, there's sunlight until 9:30pm.

Grouse can be quick or very long. To get full value... pay attention to show times...

• lumberjack show
  • Birds in Motion
  • Theatre in the Sky performances
  • your assigned zip line time
  • Does the Eye of the Wind interest you?
  • Have you considered dinner at the Observatory? Your gondola fee is waived!
  • If you are willing to do Grouse at 8:30am.... you can have Breakfast with the Bears. Please no feeding spouses to the bears.
    http://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears

Love John's tours... http://johnatkin.com/

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE]

To Greenbrier I'd also say transit is going to be a hassle when arriving with luggage - while Canada Line handles bags just fine, our buses most certainly do not! Since you suggested you were willing to walk to the pier - and sidewalks will easily let you roll bags along the whole way - you could also consider walking to the hotel - it's actually a little shorter walk than to the pier if you get off at City Centre station, approx. 1.2km vs 1.4km. So if

everyone can walk ~3/4mile with their bags, you'll be able to use transit to come into town and walk to the pier for embarkation.

Transit tickets require local student IDs for 14+ so at least some of your teens will have to use regular adult tickets. 65+ and 5-13 are Concession fares, under 5s are free (most drivers use discretion anyway re: age, it's just the very occasional transit cop that might actually ask for ID). Weekend travel is easy - all one Zone, so base ticket price is $2.75 cash/$1.75 for Concessions.

NB: you'll get dinged with $5pp inbound from the airport though unless you buy FareSavers at the 7-Eleven in advance - this is a book of 10 tickets, tear out one per person traveling and insert into a ticket validator. $21 gets you a 10-pack - tremendous value, especially with no airport surcharge, but these are going away at an unspecified future date as our transit system continues with ticket 'improvements'...

re: taxis, be aware that the odds of getting all five of you in one cab are vanishingly small... even our minivan cabs only seat four people, with a flip-down seat in the back where a wheelchair can be placed. This is also the luggage spot though, so with five people unless you can hold almost all your bags on your laps it's not going to work. Three is the realistic number of people in a typical Prius cab with cruise luggage (a large suitcase and small carryon/backpack each).

Since your group is arriving possibly at different times, it's tricky to recommend the best option - how are the others arriving? In 2s, 3s, solos? Towncars/Limos/luxury SUVs seating up to 8-pax are also available at YVR, with fixed walkup rates (to Greenbriar use the Downtown/Kits line, so $53/61/93 - remember 5% tax plus 15% tip) - a 6-pax SUV costs pretty much exactly the same as 2 cabs.

As to the plans - all your spots so far are outdoors. While summer weather is usually dry and sunny, we aren't called the Wet Coast for nothing... if everyone is willing to walk around in the rain, no problem - but it might be a good idea to have a backup indoor thing to do just in case.

It is efficient to combine Grouse and Capilano - but even so I'd budget for at least two hours at Cap and three at Grouse plus an extra two for travel and lunch. Less time than that and you're kinda wasting your pricey entrance fees!

Joe Fortes IMO is not the best value establishment - that lovely decor and downtown address doesn't come cheap, so while there's nothing wrong with the food I begrudge paying extra for the decor. I'm really all about the food though, YMMV.

Sushi/noodles-wise, I'd suggest Hapa Izakaya on the next block of Robson as being likely to satisfy a craving for these and more under one roof. They also have more 'regular' food, though sometimes with 'funny foreign names' for the more conservative crowd (my dad's a meat & potatoes kind of guy and had no trouble with izakayas - they've got beer, wings, pork chops, ribs etc). If at least 4 of you want to try something more challenging, the $29.99pp 13 course tasting menu is hard to beat in terms of value! Most ramen-lovers of my acquaintance love Kintaro to bits - less than half-a-mile along Robson from your hotel - though personally I prefer Jinya in Yaletown.

Especially with a wide range of ages in tow, finding one resto that fits all 13 of you in terms of food and budget could be a real challenge - resos for 12+ are very hard to get in a lot of Vancouver restos on weekends unless you book out a separate dining room.

UPDATE:

From the Cap Bridge you could take the #236 Grouse Mt bus right across the street from the bridge.

Fare is $2.75 for adults and $1.75 for seniors - not sure if the teens qualify for a student rate as I think it only applies to locals.

For the return you should be able to take the free shuttle back with your proof of lift ticket.

You might want to also see if there is a combine Bridge and Grouse ticket package. I seem to remember seeing an ad for it but don't remember the details.

Also check both web sites to see what constitutes a group - you may be able to get discount on tickets.

Dennis

Thank you for the public transport option! If we wanted to call a taxi from Cap Bridge will we have a long wait? I expect that part of the group will head directly back from Cap Bridge to downtown, not everyone will want to do Grouse Mountain.

Thanks again!

Another vote for taxi from airport to hotel. It's $31 (USD$22) for the carload. Bus from subway station to hotel with luggage is a challenge and it's too far to walk with luggage (15 minutes/0.8 miles).

You can catch the Red Shuttle to Capilano at 8:40am to get to the bridge for the 9am opening...

https://capbridge-capilanosuspensi.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/January-2016-Shuttle.jpg

After Capilano, I would get some taxi's to travel the 5 minutes to Grouse. Otherwise, you can use public transit.

There is a Grouse shuttle, but I rarely see them do pickups outside the bridge because the Grouse shuttle is full. People do use the Grouse shuttle to get to the bridge AFTER seeing Grouse first. Then return downtown on the Capilano shuttles.

Why the urgency to be back downtown at 3pm? It's June, there's sunlight until 9:30pm.

Grouse can be quick or very long. To get full value... pay attention to show times...

• lumberjack show
  • Birds in Motion
  • Theatre in the Sky performances
  • your assigned zip line time
  • Does the Eye of the Wind interest you?
  • Have you considered dinner at the Observatory? Your gondola fee is waived!
  • If you are willing to do Grouse at 8:30am.... you can have Breakfast with the Bears. Please no feeding spouses to the bears.
    http://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears

Love John's tours... http://johnatkin.com/

Thanks so much for all the detail! I'm giving everyone the prices for Grouse Mountain that include the ziplining and that just include the skyride because some folks may want to do the shows.

Wanting to be back by 3(ish) is just so that we have time to enjoy the city a bit as well and be open to other possibilities that pop up. I learned a while ago with trip planning that not building in buffer times can be problematic.

As far as not feeding spouses to the bears, I'm probably good with that rule since it will be the FIRST day of vacation. After 7 days of cruising and another 4 nights in an RV I might struggle a bit with that one!

re: taxis, be aware that the odds of getting all five of you in one cab are vanishingly small... even our minivan cabs only seat four people, with a flip-down seat in the back where a wheelchair can be placed. This is also the luggage spot though, so with five people unless you can hold almost all your bags on your laps it's not going to work. Three is the realistic number of people in a typical Prius cab with cruise luggage (a large suitcase and small carryon/backpack each).

Since your group is arriving possibly at different times, it's tricky to recommend the best option - how are the others arriving? In 2s, 3s, solos? Towncars/Limos/luxury SUVs seating up to 8-pax are also available at YVR, with fixed walkup rates (to Greenbriar use the Downtown/Kits line, so $53/61/93 - remember 5% tax plus 15% tip) - a 6-pax SUV costs pretty much exactly the same as 2 cabs.

As to the plans - all your spots so far are outdoors. While summer weather is usually dry and sunny, we aren't called the Wet Coast for nothing... if everyone is willing to walk around in the rain, no problem - but it might be a good idea to have a backup indoor thing to do just in case.

It is efficient to combine Grouse and Capilano - but even so I'd budget for at least two hours at Cap and three at Grouse plus an extra two for travel and lunch. Less time than that and you're kinda wasting your pricey entrance fees!

Joe Fortes IMO is not the best value establishment - that lovely decor and downtown address doesn't come cheap, so while there's nothing wrong with the food I begrudge paying extra for the decor. I'm really all about the food though, YMMV.

Sushi/noodles-wise, I'd suggest Hapa Izakaya on the next block of Robson as being likely to satisfy a craving for these and more under one roof. They also have more 'regular' food, though sometimes with 'funny foreign names' for the more conservative crowd (my dad's a meat & potatoes kind of guy and had no trouble with izakayas - they've got beer, wings, pork chops, ribs etc). If at least 4 of you want to try something more challenging, the $29.99pp 13 course tasting menu is hard to beat in terms of value! Most ramen-lovers of my acquaintance love Kintaro to bits - less than half-a-mile along Robson from your hotel - though personally I prefer Jinya in Yaletown.

Especially with a wide range of ages in tow, finding one resto that fits all 13 of you in terms of food and budget could be a real challenge - resos for 12+ are very hard to get in a lot of Vancouver restos on weekends unless you book out a separate dining room.

Thanks for all the detail on transport! I think we will taxi it (or possibly limo it, my DH loves to use limos and car services). Everyone is making their own flight arrangements which is why I'm not planning anything set for Saturday evening. I'll share info about transport with each couple/family and they can make their own choices, just planning on everyone seeing each other Sunday morning at the hotel if not prior.

Good point about outdoors, we are heading into Alaska so will be prepared for rain (and most of us are pretty outdoorsy types who have experience backpacking and camping in wet and cold conditions in the Appalachian mountains so we aren't easily daunted by weather). However, if it is torrential it would definitely impact things. We aren't really excited about the aquarium (although I'm sure it's lovely, we are just aquariumed out coming from Atlanta). I was thinking about Granville Market as one option, what are some other good indoor (or at least under cover) ideas?

Thanks for the restaurant options. Joe Fortes appealed to me because I loved the story of the real Joe Fortes (and I know he had nothing to do with the restaurant directly) and thought it would be a good opportunity to share that story (my family "loves" my obsessive need to learn everything I can about a place we visit and then inundate them with random and "interesting" facts. They will appreciate it some day!). I was also fascinated by all the different kinds of oysters on the menu. Coming from Atlanta and even having lived in Florida the only oysters I've ever seen on a menu are raw or fried. LOL the idea that harvesting them from different locations leads to different qualities is something I want to explore! However, I'm open to other options. We may take a walk over to English Beach so I can always talk about Joe there!

I do want to make reservations early for us all to eat together on Sunday evening, that will be our official launch dinner for the trip and we won't always be eating together as a big group but I'd like to at least that night and then the last night of the cruise.

Wish I could do what ya'll do for people visiting Atlanta but there's no cruiseport there!

One question that has popped into my head, why does everything not open till 9 am when the sun is up at 5 in the summer?

We're morning people anyway, and then coming from the east coast our body clocks will likely be waking us up early anyway and I want to get moving and take advantage of the extra long days but it seems that we are a bit limited for the first 3 to 4 hours of daylight (other than walking the seawall early in Stanley Park, I'm thinking DH and I may do that just after sunrise with anyone else who is up for it).

Any other options available before 9 am?

At least Tim Hortons opens early!

Newzandile; getting a cab from the CSB will not pose a problem, the bridge will happily call a cab for you and it will be one of the North Shore cab companies. Under most circumstances the wait should be less than 20 mins and plan that the fare back to the city will be in the range of $35 to $45 depending on traffic conditions.

As for the opinion on Joe Fortes, IMO Joe Fortes is an excellent restaurant and well worth a visit. Food we have to remember is a very subjective topic but a restaurant like Joe Fortes does not stay in business for what must be some 30+ years by not doing a good job. It certainly has been a fave of mine since it opened.

One question that has popped into my head, why does everything not open till 9 am when the sun is up at 5 in the summer?

We're morning people anyway, and then coming from the east coast our body clocks will likely be waking us up early anyway and I want to get moving and take advantage of the extra long days but it seems that we are a bit limited for the first 3 to 4 hours of daylight (other than walking the seawall early in Stanley Park, I'm thinking DH and I may do that just after sunrise with anyone else who is up for it).

Any other options available before 9 am?

At least Tim Hortons opens early!

Good question and as a native Vancouverite ..... well I don't have an answer other that its always been that way. I suppose it has to do with the laid back live style of the west coast and of course it is light well into the evening so that kind of makes up for it. Unlike in the US where people are at their desks by 7 or 8, most people in downtown Vancouver don't start work until between 8 and 9 and its always been thus.

"Unlike in the US where people are at their desks by 7 or 8, most people in downtown Vancouver don't start work until between 8 and 9 and its always been thus."

Well when I was working it was a 5:15 AM start.

If you are looking for a place for the whole group to eat where you can make reservations and aren't necessarily wanting a more formal dining experience - ie - Joe Fortes - two places come to mind and the kids in the group would probably enjoy - there is a Red Robin nearby - actually about 1/2 block from Joe Fortes and the other would be the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown. It has an old street car inside as part of the dining area - Putterdude and myself likely rode it as kids growing up on the west side of Vancouver.

Cheers!

Dennis

"Unlike in the US where people are at their desks by 7 or 8, most people in downtown Vancouver don't start work until between 8 and 9 and its always been thus."

If you are looking for a place for the whole group to eat where you can make reservations and aren't necessarily wanting a more formal dining experience - ie - Joe Fortes - two places come to mind and the kids in the group would probably enjoy - there is a Red Robin nearby - actually about 1/2 block from Joe Fortes and the other would be the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown. It has an old street car inside as part of the dining area - Putterdude and myself likely rode it as kids growing up on the west side of Vancouver.

Cheers!

Dennis

I probably rode the cable car myself when I was young. I remember the trolleys on Hastings between Carrol St and the PNE.

Thanks for all the detail on transport! I think we will taxi it (or possibly limo it, my DH loves to use limos and car services). Everyone is making their own flight arrangements which is why I'm not planning anything set for Saturday evening. I'll share info about transport with each couple/family and they can make their own choices, just planning on everyone seeing each other Sunday morning at the hotel if not prior.

Good point about outdoors, we are heading into Alaska so will be prepared for rain (and most of us are pretty outdoorsy types who have experience backpacking and camping in wet and cold conditions in the Appalachian mountains so we aren't easily daunted by weather). However, if it is torrential it would definitely impact things. We aren't really excited about the aquarium (although I'm sure it's lovely, we are just aquariumed out coming from Atlanta). I was thinking about Granville Market as one option, what are some other good indoor (or at least under cover) ideas?

Thanks for the restaurant options. Joe Fortes appealed to me because I loved the story of the real Joe Fortes (and I know he had nothing to do with the restaurant directly) and thought it would be a good opportunity to share that story (my family "loves" my obsessive need to learn everything I can about a place we visit and then inundate them with random and "interesting" facts. They will appreciate it some day!). I was also fascinated by all the different kinds of oysters on the menu. Coming from Atlanta and even having lived in Florida the only oysters I've ever seen on a menu are raw or fried. LOL the idea that harvesting them from different locations leads to different qualities is something I want to explore! However, I'm open to other options. We may take a walk over to English Beach so I can always talk about Joe there!

I do want to make reservations early for us all to eat together on Sunday evening, that will be our official launch dinner for the trip and we won't always be eating together as a big group but I'd like to at least that night and then the last night of the cruise.

Wish I could do what ya'll do for people visiting Atlanta but there's no cruiseport there!

Granville Island is a good destination - it's not just the Public Market, there are art galleries, other building full of artsy-crafty shops, breweries, sake-maker, comedy club, theatres, etc. etc. Easy for folks to split up, go buy/see different things, meet up again without anyone having to even leave the 'island.'

Other indoor things - yes, I'd avoid the aquarium given you're from Atlanta. We do have belugas for the moment, but otherwise it's pricey for a middling-sized aquarium IMO. Science World is a decent indoor visit, Omnimax screen for those who aren't keen on the hands-on science exhibits. Close enough to Dr Sun Yat-Sen Garden for the group to split but easily find each other again (while the garden is obviously outdoors, there are covered corridors all over and I find that visiting in the rain is preferable for atmosphere). There's also a choice of three craft-beer-focused bars in the Village just around the corner if some of the group would rather learn about 'applied microbiology';-) You can also hop on one of the little ferries to Granville Island if you don't fancy too much walking.

Many and varied museums - including three close enough together than again the group could easily split up. Maritime, Space Centre, and Vancouver museums are all located conveniently near a ferry dock with views across to English Bay from the other side if you want to tell your Joe story there.

Oysters are incredibly varied, although there's the fundamental texture of raw ones that some folks just can't get behind. Several restos in town have a wide variety of fresh oysters on offer, and 'buck a shuck' deals are readily available mid-afternoon including at Joes; Rodneys Oyster House has two locations in Yaletown and Gastown - $1.50 at happy hour there, but also probably the widest selection in town as oysters are their main thing; The Fish Shack on Granville has a good range at a good price; and Chewies is probably the closest really good oyster bar to your hotel. Since you want to sample different types, you'll have limited scope at Happy Hour - most places tend to offer just one or two peak season local types rather than their full range of varieties, so to compare 'terroir' expect to be paying $2-3 per shell.

Like I said, you won't get a bad meal at Joes - and at least they do take group bookings, even offering set menus with a decent range of options, so it might be an ideal spot for your group. Unless something odd happens with the exchange rate you'll probably find the cost of any local establishment pretty decent!

As to the lack of morning 'things to do' - I don't have any better ideas as to why than the posters above, but I'm often annoyed at the lack of decent breakfast options before 9am let alone sites to visit. Vancouver is most definitely not an early morning kind of town, even compared to elsewhere in Canada. If you're early birds then Stanley Park and walking the Seawall is probably your best option - I find that local marine life (seals & otters) is more commonly seen early before too much traffic starts disturbing them; the Granville Island seals are often further afield in False Creek when the water is quiet, and the beavers in Stanley Park are also most active at dawn/dusk. Especially your first morning when you're likely still on East Coast time you could get a good couple of hours wandering in, grab brekky in Tims and then hop on the first shuttle to Cap or Grouse.

[quote=Urban trekker;48660414

Putterdude and myself likely rode it as kids growing up on the west side of Vancouver.

Cheers!

Dennis

I knew someone turned on the lights ...now I know who it was.:)

I thought you were an East End kid like me or did you mean the other West End?

I am planning on having the hotel hold our luggage after checkout Monday morning so we can grab it just before we go to the pier and if the weather's nice we could possibly walk to the pier right? Are the sidewalks conducive to luggage rolling? If the hotel won't /can't hold it what other options do we have to explore as much as possible before we leave?

Way back you asked this question....and yes the hotel should hold your luggage. If they are unable to do so the porters at Canada Place will normally start accepting luggage from embarking passengers about 0930. There is a commercial luggage check inside of Canada Place and of course there are the surrounding hotels at Canada Place that for a nice tip will hold a persons luggage.... although they may not be anxious to handle 13 peoples luggage. ;)

PD - I will summarize it this way.

My Baby years to age 5 - east van near the PNE

Growing up years - Dunbar on the west side

Bulk of working years - Mt Pleasant - technically East Van but really mid-town

Retirement years - Downtown.

The Coyotes beat the Canucks tonight. Another yawner.

There were still using faresavers on the Canada Line today but then all of the gates aren't closed yet. My compass card has worked fine everytime i have used it.

Away back to cruising - lots of good suggestions as for what to do in Vancouver with a large group and with various age groups.

Cheers!

Dennis

Met a couple over coffee last week that are staying at the old Best Western downtown on Drake and I asked them about their stay.

They had no problems and were receiving hotel services - housekeeping etc.

With the lack of an expensive franchise fee and advertising costs perhaps the current rates of around $120.00 a night might be a welcome relief in the downtown core. I know these types of hotel residences exist in other cities so it will be interesting to see how it goes during the peak tourist season.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question or three for the experts.

We will end our cruise in Vancouver (end of May) and plan to take a cab to our hotel to drop off luggage. We are staying at the Fairmont at the airport because our flight the next day is at stupid o'clock (6 a.m.). I understand that the train to get back to downtown is just a short walk from that hotel, yes?

I haven't really started looking at what to do with our one day in Vancouver, but do you have any suggestions for some points of interest that we can get to on the train? I'm kind of thinking that doing the hop on hop off trolley might be the way to go.

What time do you suggest heading to check-in at the airport for that 6 a.m. flight back to the U.S.?

Edited by Cruzin-K

Answers in red.

I have a question or three for the experts.

We will end our cruise in Vancouver (end of May) and plan to take a cab to our hotel to drop off luggage. We are staying at the Fairmont at the airport because our flight the next day is at stupid o'clock (6 a.m.). I understand that the train to get back to downtown is just a short walk from that hotel, yes?

Yes - the Fairmont at the airport is actually connected to the airport terminal. Signage is very clear and easy to follow. Be aware that you will have to pay an airport surcharge of $5 to come into town UNLESS you buy a ticket elsewhere. Since you are starting downtown, you could pick up a day pass each for less than a single fare downtown and back plus the inbound surcharge... and then you can hop on an off any transit in the city until the wee small hours, in case you decide to stay up partying instead of going to bed! Day passes are available at various small corner stores, London Drugs, and of course Skytrain stations - Waterfront Station is the closest location to the pier (3 blocks walk).

I haven't really started looking at what to do with our one day in Vancouver, but do you have any suggestions for some points of interest that we can get to on the train? I'm kind of thinking that doing the hop on hop off trolley might be the way to go.

You can get to most everything downtown, and since you're coming from YVR some nice spots on-between like Queen Elizabeth Park. Depending how much walking you feel like doing a bus transfer might be quicker and easier to some spots - e.g. the 19 bus stops right inside Stanley Park and can can be picked up just outside City Centre Station, which saves you at least 30 minutes walking. HOHO is a good idea for a tour, every stop has something worth seeing.

What time do you suggest heading to check-in at the airport for that 6 a.m. flight back to the U.S.?

Double-check your flight details CAREFULLY. There are a handful of very early and very late US-bound flights that do NOT go through US CBP here in Vancouver - I believe all the 6am flights do still go through CBP here, even though they don't start work until 4:30am. This means there is no point going any earlier than 4:15am, as you can easily drop off any checked bags and get through security in minutes that early - if you're at CBP earlier than 4:30am you'll just have to wait for them to open...

In all honesty I'd ditch the airport for a downtown hotel - Fairmont is pricey, even their airport location would allow you to pay the same or less for several very nice 4* downtown hotels. Since there's no traffic, a cab to YVR will take less than 30minutes - so you really do not get any useful extra sleep since you can't fit in an extra REM cycle by staying at the airport.

Remaining downtown saves you at least 60mins (getting out & back to drop bags) - so you could do the same amount of touring and get more sleep by going to bed earlier downtown!

I was pleasantly surprised that the cost of the Fairmont at the airport was the same or less than most of the downtown hotels. I originally had a downtown hotel booked, but that was before we got our flights. My Mom will be with me, so we won't be out late on Saturday. I imagine we'll be back at the hotel as soon as we finish dinner. I'm just glad I'll have that Monday off work (Memorial Day) because I will be so tired after that early morning and long flight :(

Thanks for the info about the day pass for the train. I'll need to research a bit to see where to pick up the bus from the train station(s) downtown to get to Stanley Park, which I think will be our main destination. Does the day pass cover both train and bus fare?

I was just reading some reviews of the hop on hop off options in town, and now I think we'll skip that. Since it's a holiday weekend for the U.S., I imagine it might be a busy weekend with tourists, and the HOHO buses get terrible marks for overcrowding. Hopefully the city buses won't be the same.

Hmm.... May 28th one night at the Fairmont is about CAN$300 (USD$210) right now.

Looking at the Expedia at your price range.... the Westin Bayshore is a short cab ride down from the pier for CAN$320 for the night. With Hop on pick up outside the door, this will save you possibly 2.5 hours on your Saturday going to the airport, returning back to downtown for sightseeing and then going back to the airport for the evening. Simpler to stay downtown on Saturday and then get a cab next morning for 35 minute ride to the airport.

As a budget traveler for downtown options....

• Rosedale is CAN$220 (USD$154) would be a good option too.
  • Century Plaza is CAN$188 (USD$131)

Edited by xlxo

If you are comfortable with the price at the Fairmont Airport then I would stick with it and enjoy the luxury and convenience of it, it is a beautiful property. However, I would not go all the way out there, check my luggage and then come back to see the city, that is going to take up to 2 hours. I would be inclined to check my luggage over to the Fairmont Waterfront hotel which is across the street from Canada Place, give them a nice tip to hold it and get on with my touring.

Memorial Day is not a holiday in Canada and so while there will be some increase in American holidayers it is not like to be nutso. Yes, you day pass will cover the train, bus and even the seabus. Be aware however that the bus will get you to the park bus does not go around it. Fortunately most of the attractions are on the east side of the park and quite walkable from the bus stop.

The sage advice to be at the airport a full 2 hours is good but with CBP not opening until 0430 you could check in anytime time between 0430 and 0445 and make your flight without a problem. There are places to eat once you have cleared CBP and security.