Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

The Stanley Park folks do offer private carriage rides anywhere around the city - for an extra fee, detailed here. Starts at CAD$379/hour, so if you do have a Victoria stop you'll find it a much cheaper (and IMO more scenic in terms of buildings) proposition to do it there instead.

In terms of travel to hotel and airport, taxis are plentiful and all use the same metered rates. There are no shuttles around downtown hotels, so your other options are walking (quite feasible to many hotels, downtown is very compact), public transit (bad idea with luggage except the Canada Line Skytrain to the airport, this is the only line with good luggage storage), or hiring a limo. Over short distances around with 2+ riders, cab fares can often beat transit ticket costs.

Most hotels are within a $10 cab ride from the pier, many less, and to the airport should be around $30-35 depending which hotel you're in.

Great thread with lots of info!

I am researching for a Cruise May 6, 2016 on the Solstice. How is the weather in early May usually?

Also I didn't see it asked before, so I apologize of it has but I assume we will need Canadian money for cabs, etc and that we can use credit cards, etc for other things. Would you recommend that we try to exchange currency before we leave home or when we get there? How does it work, I have never had to exchange before. Can I just go to an ATM or are the fees really high?

Great thread with lots of info!

I am researching for a Cruise May 6, 2016 on the Solstice. How is the weather in early May usually?

Also I didn't see it asked before, so I apologize of it has but I assume we will need Canadian money for cabs, etc and that we can use credit cards, etc for other things. Would you recommend that we try to exchange currency before we leave home or when we get there? How does it work, I have never had to exchange before. Can I just go to an ATM or are the fees really high?

Our weather in both May and June are a bit of crap shoot, the days can be absolutely gorgeous or dull or dull and rainy....but tend to be a little more on the dull and rainy side and temps will likely be in the 60's during the day. The waterproof jacket you are bringing along should be in the top of your bag.:)

Here come the usual blurb on currency. The CAD is the only legal tender in Canada, however as a courtesy to our American guests virtually all retailers, taxis and other service providers in Vancouver accept the USD with the exception of the transit system. The issue is are you going to get the correct exchange rate....and you probably are not. However, if you are only going to be in the city for the day it probably is not worthwhile getting CAD but if you wish to, you are likely better off going to your local bank before you come. Transaction fees are going to vary from bank to bank at ATMs. If you decide to go with USD then keep your denominations small as you will in most cases get your change in CAD.

Our weather in both May and June are a bit of crap shoot, the days can be absolutely gorgeous or dull or dull and rainy....but tend to be a little more on the dull and rainy side and temps will likely be in the 60's during the day. The waterproof jacket you are bringing along should be in the top of your bag.:)

Here come the usual blurb on currency. The CAD is the only legal tender in Canada, however as a courtesy to our American guests virtually all retailers, taxis and other service providers in Vancouver accept the USD with the exception of the transit system. The issue is are you going to get the correct exchange rate....and you probably are not. However, if you are only going to be in the city for the day it probably is not worthwhile getting CAD but if you wish to, you are likely better off going to your local bank before you come. Transaction fees are going to vary from bank to bank at ATMs. If you decide to go with USD then keep your denominations small as you will in most cases get your change in CAD.

The best exchange rate will the local banks or your credit card. Currency exchanges tack a service on every transaction . It is included in exchange rate they post. Otherwise Putterdude is absolutely correct .

Edited by Kamloops50

The best exchange rate will the local banks or your credit card. Currency exchanges tack a service on every transaction . It is included in exchange rate they post. Otherwise Putterdude is absolutely correct .

I don't know about Kamloops but many of the currency exchanges in downtown Vancouver do not charge a transaction fee and their exchange rates are better than the banks. In fact as a customer of RBC I cringe every time I have to do a foreign currency transaction and do everything I can do to avoid the bank. That said you do have to shop around and if you are only exchanging a few dollars its probably not worth the time and effort, I just have a general hate for paying banks fees.

As above posters already mentioned, check your own bank/credit card issuer for fees per withdrawal/if they are part of a network that might refund ATM fees at certain Canadian banks/what the Foreign Transaction Fee is on your CC(s). ATMs do tend to be the best rate, but if you have to pay a fee to use them then you may find that unless you withdraw $100 or even $200 the fixed ATM fee ends up making the net rate lower than your CC even if it does have an FTF.

Taxis do take credit cards - at least MC & Visa - as do virtually all restaurants, tourist sites HOHOs etc. So if you are only here a short time you might not need any Canadian cash at all.

I am looking for a nice/ to upscale hotel in Vancouver to stay for 2-3 nights post cruise next september

I have stayed at the PanPacific pre cruise before, which was convenient.

does anyone have suggestions or a neighborhood or hotel?

this will be my sisters first trip to Vancouver so we will want to do / see as much as possible

I am looking for a nice/ to upscale hotel in Vancouver to stay for 2-3 nights post cruise next september

I have stayed at the PanPacific pre cruise before, which was convenient.

does anyone have suggestions or a neighborhood or hotel?

this will be my sisters first trip to Vancouver so we will want to do / see as much as possible

The some of the upscale hotels in Vancouver would include the following:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

The Shangri-La

Loden

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

l'Hermitage

La Grande Residence at Sutton Place

Westin Bayshore

Westin Grand

Some boutique hotels worthy of consideration include:

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

Opus

All of these hotels are downtown and not more than 1.5 miles of Canada Place. The only other upscale hotels that I can think of are out by the airport and not really convenient if you want to see the sights of Vancouver.

thank you, any choice as to preference of location ? or which fairmont? (if I chose that)

Fairmonts are easy, the Pacific Rim followed by the Waterfont....the Vancouver Fairmont is a neat stay....in a previous life we spent several days in the Royal Suite there, however there are better stays today.

If you want to go really highend then it would have to be the Shanrila-la or the Rosedale Georgia. IMO there really nothing to choose from any other than the 2 Fairmont properties are closer to Canada Place.

Rather than start a separate thread I thought I would post it here.

THE BEST WESTERN DOWNTOWN ON DRAKE IS NOW CLOSED.

I had heard from the White Spot staff that this was likely to happen but wanted to wait and ensure that it actually did before posting here The hotel or the building was recently sold and the new owners have decided to cease hotel operations as of Oct 31, 2016 and instead convert the rooms into student housing.

The White Spot restaurant in the building is still operating but have shortened their operating hours and given the % of their customers who were hotel patrons I wonder if it will survive.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the firm that brought the Best Western property has had a change of plans - the hotel is slated to re-open next week - it won't be a Best Western as they refused to allow it back into the chain - will try and find out who it is going to be.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel is now re-opened - it is called the GEC - Granville - GEC standing for the company that owns its.

Apparently according to my source at the White Spot - about one half of the rooms can be booked by regular tourist travelers - the remaining are being rented out to students - a google search will give you an idea about the company.

At least one booking engine shows the hotel as having rooms available.

Cheers!

Dennis

The hotel is now re-opened - it is called the GEC - Granville - GEC standing for the company that owns its.

Apparently according to my source at the White Spot - about one half of the rooms can be booked by regular tourist travelers - the remaining are being rented out to students - a google search will give you an idea about the company.

At least one booking engine shows the hotel as having rooms available.

Cheers!

Dennis

Looks like they tried to open it as student housing unit but zoning(city) didn't allow it . So they made a residence hotel from it . This type of hotel is popular in Hawaii . The same thing happened to one hotel in kamloops as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi this may be the first of many questions. Trying to research wether we want to book a Vancouver/Hawaii or vice versa cruise. We will either have two nights post stay the first week of May or 2 nights post cruise last week of September. Just wondered wich month will likely (as we cant really predict) the nicer weather.

Hi this may be the first of many questions. Trying to research wether we want to book a Vancouver/Hawaii or vice versa cruise. We will either have two nights post stay the first week of May or 2 nights post cruise last week of September. Just wondered wich month will likely (as we cant really predict) the nicer weather.

I wish I could give you a 100% correct answer but I can't. However, as a native Vancouverite I would roll the dice in favour of the September dates. That said, for spring colours I would go with the May dates.

Thank you for your prompt responses. We did this route in October back in 2002 and I remember the sea being quite choppy down to Hawaii the possibility of a slightly calmer climate is appealing together with the spring colours. The may sailing is also a day longer for only $10 more wich I find very attractive, I will need to discuss this with my partner over breakfast tomorrow.

Once again thank you for your responses, I will be back with more questions I am sure.

I'm going to vote for May.... More daylight to enjoy Vancouver.

If I had to the trip.... I want to sail into Vancouver..... I can cram more souvenirs and nuts into my luggage without weight restrictions or surcharges. Doesn't help if you need to catch a flight afterwards.

Hello, I'm organizing a trip for 13 people, ranging in age from 13 - 72 with 5 being teenagers and 4 retirees and everyone else in our 40's. The older 4 are in good shape and relatively adventurous.

We plan to fly into Vancouver on Saturday, June 25 and embark on the NCL Sun on Monday, June 27. Not everyone has booked flights yet but I expect everyone to be at the hotel by 7 pm or so on Saturday. We are staying at the Greenbrier Hotel on Robson (I know it has some mixed reviews but the larger rooms, location and really good deal I got make it worth the potential risk to us).

Is the skytrain from the airport a good idea (my family of 5 will be traveling together at least)? We will each have a full size suitcase and one carry on. If so, how do we get all the way to the hotel doors? What is the cost? Is there a better option? Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:40 p.m.

For Sunday - I'd like to do Capilano definitely (and we can grab the free shuttle from one block away from our hotel). I found the summer shuttle hours but the first one doesn't pick up until 8:40 am. What time does Capilano open in June? I really wanted to do it as early as possible and 9:00 a.m. seems really late since the sun will be up at 5:00 a.m. Will it be difficult to get a taxi(s) for 13 people if we can go earlier?

We are interested in the ziplines at Grouse Mountain, what would be the best way to get from Capilano to Grouse (I don't want to take the free shuttle for one back to Canada Place to pick up the other, unless that makes as much sense as any other option).

Am I crazy to think that if we do both, we could be back in downtown by 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. (maybe a bit earlier if Capilano opens earlier)?

Other interests are a walking tour with John Atkins (which I presume we can arrange at whatever time we like this far in advance), A walk through Stanley Park to the Totem Poles and back, and an opportunity to walk around Gastown and Chinatown (although we may do that on the walking tour). Not trying to wear ourselves out too much but once we board on Monday we'll have that afternoon and all day Tuesday at sea to chill for the most part.

A few of the older folks will want to shop although that is not a big draw for me.

I'm interested in Joe Fortes as an option for dinner Sunday and I know some in our group will really want to do a ramen and/or sushi spot.

I am planning on having the hotel hold our luggage after checkout Monday morning so we can grab it just before we go to the pier and if the weather's nice we could possibly walk to the pier right? Are the sidewalks conducive to luggage rolling? If the hotel won't /can't hold it what other options do we have to explore as much as possible before we leave?

Any suggested schedules or other sites or changes or restaurants or anything at all would be greatly appreciated!