Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

I usually like to be three hours before scheduled departure to check in and clear customs. The airlines normally don't take you bags until about 4 hours before scheduled departure.

At YVR checked bags to the US have to be carried about 200 yards to the bag drop off point .

Solid advice from posts above already. Personally I'd be comfortable on a Sunday afternoon arriving at YVR 2 hours ahead even for US-bound flights.

As Dennis wisely mentioned, marathon day impacts tour routes - but it has an even bigger impact on brunch. Something about running for a few hours seems to make people want to eat a substantial, greasy, fried, high protein & fat meal afterward... I would strongly recommend making a reso in advance somewhere that accepts bookings - the walkup-only good brunch spots like Medina or Twisted Fork will be absolutely insane until mid-afternoon that day.

Of the reservable brunches in town, my pick would be Yew (fancy, but half-price wine), Catch122 (less fancy, but still a huge step up from diner fare), or Edible Canada (in-between, very local focused food). All are busy enough and new/recently renoed enough that it's very unlikely they'll change much between now and next May; make yourself a reminder note for a month in advance and make a reso then.

Things to do? I'd avoid Stanley Park or the aquarium just because of the marathon - you'll have to cross the race route at least once - although if you decided to do something on the North Shore (Grouse Mountain, Cap Bridge) and get back into town in the afternoon it should be fine to check 'em out then.

Not knowing what sort of things you like to do, it's hard to target the best sites for you - you could do a lot worse than Searching, or just scrolling up this thread until you find a post by, BCHappyGal who frequently posts a very extensive list of popular local attractions.

While I'm a big fan of HOHOs for folks unfamiliar with a city, the marathon route issues mean I'd be more inclined to stick to things that are not going to be impacted to minimise wasted time. A minicruise on False Creek is fun, and ties in nicely with visiting Granville Island - which is fine in good or bad weather. Lots of quirky shops, including plenty of prepared and raw foods if you want to make a picnic lunch, and it's all collected into several large buildings so you're only exposed to sun or rain for a few yards at a time going between them.

On Marathon day.... my suggestion...

• secure luggage downtown at cruise terminal or Pan Pacific
  • check if the Grouse shuttle is operating, if not... walk over to the Seabus and public transit your way to Grouse Mountain or Capilano.
  • start returning to downtown around 2:45pm to ensure you don't miss your cruise terminal luggage pickup
  • 3:45pm luggage pickup
  • 4:45pm YVR arrival
  • 8:30pm wheels up

[YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Otherwise a post cruise tour with your luggage...

Edited by xlxo

Thanks to Urban trekker (Dennis), Putterdude, Kamloops50, martincath, and xlxo for all the great suggestions. You have given me lots of interesting ideas and suggestions to think about.

I am a solo traveler and will be arriving on the Radiance from Honolulu via Maui, Kona, Kauai, Hilo, and 5 sea days. I'm finding that May 1 is a bit early for Vancouver to be geared up for the summer cruise traffic.

Granville Island caught my eye as a low key option. What would be the best way to get there from the port without a lot of walking? Even though I will check my luggage, I will probably still have to keep my rolling backpack with my laptop in it. I don't know how comfortable I would be checking that even if it were buried in the bottom compartment of my suitcase. There seem to be a lot of ferries in the harbor - I might enjoy just riding them around for a while. Are they covered by the one day transportation pass?

Thanks to Urban trekker (Dennis), Putterdude, Kamloops50, martincath, and xlxo for all the great suggestions. You have given me lots of interesting ideas and suggestions to think about.

I am a solo traveler and will be arriving on the Radiance from Honolulu via Maui, Kona, Kauai, Hilo, and 5 sea days. I'm finding that May 1 is a bit early for Vancouver to be geared up for the summer cruise traffic.

Granville Island caught my eye as a low key option. What would be the best way to get there from the port without a lot of walking? Even though I will check my luggage, I will probably still have to keep my rolling backpack with my laptop in it. I don't know how comfortable I would be checking that even if it were buried in the bottom compartment of my suitcase. There seem to be a lot of ferries in the harbor - I might enjoy just riding them around for a while. Are they covered by the one day transportation pass?

You're welcome.

Unfortunately the relevant ferries (those on False Creek, where Granville Island is) are not part of Translink but are run by two separate independent companies. They're ferociously pricey in terms of distance per dollar, but the absolute cost is still pretty low as the distances are very short. A day pass for either company (Aquabus or False Creek Ferries) is $15, a short cruise around or individual routes vary from c.$3 to $8.

However, making use of these ferries means either walking down from Canada Place about 2km or taking somewhat inefficient bus routes; the best bus, that will get you closest to Granville Island, is the 50, which goes over a bridge and approaches within 500m on the south side (route here - I've selected this Sunday at 9am, but of course service levels may change before you're here on a Sunday next year). It runs from close to Canada Place.

Changing that Google Map from Transit (the little bus icon top left) to walking (click the little person icon) you'll see the optimal walking route - basically a straight shot across downtown then boarding one of the ferries. Assuming that 2km is a tolerable distance for you - and whether you roll or wear your backpack the sidewalks are good quality & pretty level - I'd do the walk.

If you want to cut back on walking, bus it to get to GI and then use the little ferries to go to, say, the Athletes Village stop at the end of False Creek - it's now quite an attractive neighbourhood with plenty of people, lots of outdoor hangout spaces, and multiple dining options.

Alternatively the Plaza of Nations stop makes for a short walk up into Chinatown, then Gastown.

We're still fleshing out our options for our 2 days in Vancouver in July. I figure it will be 2:00 or 3:00 Wednesday before we get to our hotel (Victorian Hotel) and we have a 7:00 walking tour of Gastown booked. I'm thinking we'll do a light lunch shortly after arrival and a nice dinner after the tour.

Thursday we start off the day by heading for Capilano.

Friday we board the ship.

Not sure how much of the day on Thursday will be taken up by Capilano, but we're not rushing around. Before we leave Vancouver, I'd like to fit in the Aquarium and I want to wander along at least part of the seawall.

Do you recommend planning on Stanley Park and the Aquarium Friday morning, or do you think we'll be back from Capilano early enough on Thursday to fit it in there? I really don't see it as a possibility for Wednesday afternoon.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge will require about 2 hours plus allow about 40 minutes or so to commute in either direction....so if you have a reasonable start time in the morning you will have a big part of the afternoon for the aquarium and sea wall. You may care to think about a visit to Granville Island on the Friday before you board the ship.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge will require about 2 hours plus allow about 40 minutes or so to commute in either direction....so if you have a reasonable start time in the morning you will have a big part of the afternoon for the aquarium and sea wall. You may care to think about a visit to Granville Island on the Friday before you board the ship.

Thank you for your response. I suspect we'll be up pretty early, because we'll still be adjusting to West Coast time. I haven't researched Granville Island yet, but it gets mentioned a lot. I'll check it out this weekend.

Unfortunately the relevant ferries (those on False Creek, where Granville Island is) are not part of Translink but are run by two separate independent companies. They're ferociously pricey in terms of distance per dollar, but the absolute cost is still pretty low as the distances are very short. A day pass for either company (Aquabus or False Creek Ferries) is $15, a short cruise around or individual routes vary from c.$3 to $8.

However, making use of these ferries means either walking down from Canada Place about 2km or taking somewhat inefficient bus routes; the best bus, that will get you closest to Granville Island, is the 50, which goes over a bridge and approaches within 500m on the south side (route here - I've selected this Sunday at 9am, but of course service levels may change before you're here on a Sunday next year). It runs from close to Canada Place.

Some additional thoughts...

• dragging around rolling luggage is not fun. I recommend leaving it in your room or at the cruise terminal (need to retrieve by 4pm). Taking it on the bus and ferry is bulky. Watching it bounce on the sidewalk with your electronics for miles is not pretty. Looking after it while eating can be an issue. Your call.
  • ferries take about 3 minutes for the crossing. You might want to consider a ferry day pass to explore the length of the False Creek.

[*]most of Granville Island is focussed on the public market

Some additional thoughts...

• dragging around rolling luggage is not fun. I recommend leaving it in your room or at the cruise terminal (need to retrieve by 4pm). Taking it on the bus and ferry is bulky. Watching it bounce on the sidewalk with your electronics for miles is not pretty. Looking after it while eating can be an issue. Your call.
  • ferries take about 3 minutes for the crossing. You might want to consider a ferry day pass to explore the length of the False Creek.

[*]most of Granville Island is focussed on the public market

I'm thinking of packing my laptop in a zippered compartment in the bottom of my rolling carry on and just checking that bag and the rolling backpack as well. I will be in transit - getting kicked off the ship in the morning and no flight til the evening. Ferry pass looks good - do these ferries have inside shelter in case of rain? I would be happy riding ferries and would actually prefer that to any kind of tour bus.

I'm thinking of packing my laptop in a zippered compartment in the bottom of my rolling carry on and just checking that bag and the rolling backpack as well. I will be in transit - getting kicked off the ship in the morning and no flight til the evening. Ferry pass looks good - do these ferries have inside shelter in case of rain? I would be happy riding ferries and would actually prefer that to any kind of tour bus.

I would do with my bag and laptop what you are most comfortable with. Frankly, it wouldn't bother me to leave my laptop of iPad in my luggage that I checked with a bellhop in a major hotel or commercial luggage checking service but I appreciate some would be concerned. Remember locks only keep the honest out, a thief can enter a bag thru the zipper and rezip the bag in seconds. A little trick that some veteran travellers use is to secure the zipper tags with a small cable tie...again it wont keep a thief from going thru the zipper but it will be a signal to you that someone has been in your bag by cutting the cable tie.

I would do with my bag and laptop what you are most comfortable with. Frankly, it wouldn't bother me to leave my laptop of iPad in my luggage that I checked with a bellhop in a major hotel or commercial luggage checking service but I appreciate some would be concerned. Remember locks only keep the honest out, a thief can enter a bag thru the zipper and rezip the bag in seconds. A little trick that some veteran travellers use is to secure the zipper tags with a small cable tie...again it wont keep a thief from going thru the zipper but it will be a signal to you that someone has been in your bag by cutting the cable tie.

That's a good idea. I'm sure we have those plastic things downstairs. I can easily carry the iPad, but the laptop is another issue altogether. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's a good idea. I'm sure we have those plastic things downstairs. I can easily carry the iPad, but the laptop is another issue altogether. Thanks for the suggestion.

You are welcome. The iPad in a small backpack is a good thing. I always travel with mine and Dudette's in a small back pack....actually it is an old laptop backpack but use it all the time for everything now....the nice thing about it is that it is padded. If you are comfortable with the weight, then go for it.

Ferry pass looks good - do these ferries have inside shelter in case of rain? I would be happy riding ferries and would actually prefer that to any kind of tour bus.

Yes - both flavours of ferry are the same basic design, entirely covered. Pictures are on the websites I posted above. Even if you end up with a backpack/carryon that is too heavy or awkward to strap to your back, you won't have trouble on the boats with it - some are designed as completely level roll-on, roll-off for bikes & wheelchairs and even those that aren't are very easy to board with lots of floorspace, so as long as you can physically pick it up for a few seconds you won't have any trouble with finding somewhere to put it.

Edited by martincath
conflated two different posters!

We're still fleshing out our options for our 2 days in Vancouver in July. I figure it will be 2:00 or 3:00 Wednesday before we get to our hotel (Victorian Hotel) and we have a 7:00 walking tour of Gastown booked. I'm thinking we'll do a light lunch shortly after arrival and a nice dinner after the tour.

NB: time zones! Even if your 7pm walking tour is a short one, you won't be free to eat dinner until close to 9pm local time, which as far as your stomachs are concerned will be midnight Ohio time... even if you were Spanish that's darn late, especially when you're trying to adjust your body to a new time zone.

Have a lighter lunch and grab dinner before your tour - wherever the meetup point is in Gastown there will definitely be restaurants within a block, and it's pretty easy to find tables at 5pm even in the popular restos (Vancouver is a 'most folks like to dine 7-8pm' kind of town).

NB: time zones! Even if your 7pm walking tour is a short one, you won't be free to eat dinner until close to 9pm local time, which as far as your stomachs are concerned will be midnight Ohio time... even if you were Spanish that's darn late, especially when you're trying to adjust your body to a new time zone.

Have a lighter lunch and grab dinner before your tour - wherever the meetup point is in Gastown there will definitely be restaurants within a block, and it's pretty easy to find tables at 5pm even in the popular restos (Vancouver is a 'most folks like to dine 7-8pm' kind of town).

Excellent point. If we don't catch some ZZZs on the plane, it's going to be a really long day. We tend to be on an adrenalin high that first day of vacation, which translates to a late night as a rule, but a big meal just before bed might be a really poor plan. Fortunately we don't have one of those ugly crack-of-dawn departure times for once. That will be a refreshing change.

Since there seem to be some very knowledgeable restaurant reviewers on this thread, can you recommend a Japanese restaurant for Thursday night? DD is currently on a study-abroad trip in Japan and is likely to appreciate an opportunity to do a dining experience that resonates with the trip that she is enjoying so thoroughly.

Since there seem to be some very knowledgeable restaurant reviewers on this thread, can you recommend a Japanese restaurant for Thursday night? DD is currently on a study-abroad trip in Japan and is likely to appreciate an opportunity to do a dining experience that resonates with the trip that she is enjoying so thoroughly.

On the very affordable end, Ramen Jinya is a very authentic noodle bar (all staff speak at least some Japanese, actual Japanese students are preferentially hired). My fave noodle bowl in town is still their tonkatsu broth with udon.

More mid-range, ShuRaku is an excellent Sake Bar/Sushi joint. The same folks also run Zest, a consistently-well-reviewed high end place (placed joint Gold with Tojos - quite possibly the best traditional Japanese resto in Canada - in this years local newspaper food awards, but it's relatively far from downtown).

While it's personally not my thing, Miku has been continuing to garner good press especially since they moved to the downtown core - they took Bronze this year in the aforementioned awards. More modern in outlook, they are big on Aburi sushi (basically blowtorched like creme brulee - it's been done in Japan for a long time but a relatively modern sushi 'innovation' over here). Same folks also run Minami in Yaletown.

We also have a lot of Izakayas, which are very rate outside Japan (I'm sure your daughter will be familiar by now, but while sushi and teppanyaki have managed to spread across the world Izakayas remain rare except along US/Canada west coast so it's the kind of experience that might be most difficult to replicate back in Ohio). Kingyo is generally accepted as the best in town, but both Guu and Hapa local chains are well-respected. Personally I've always had a soft spot for Alpha, it flies under the radar enough that it's a quieter spot for dining and they have done a lot of innovation over the years on sushi rolls especially.

BTW, Ramen Jinya is a very easy walk from your hotel if you wanted to stretch your legs and grab a quick lunch on arrival. Walking route here.

Edited by martincath

On the very affordable end, Ramen Jinya is a very authentic noodle bar (all staff speak at least some Japanese, actual Japanese students are preferentially hired). My fave noodle bowl in town is still their tonkatsu broth with udon.

More mid-range, ShuRaku is an excellent Sake Bar/Sushi joint. The same folks also run Zest, a consistently-well-reviewed high end place (placed joint Gold with Tojos - quite possibly the best traditional Japanese resto in Canada - in this years local newspaper food awards, but it's relatively far from downtown).

While it's personally not my thing, Miku has been continuing to garner good press especially since they moved to the downtown core - they took Bronze this year in the aforementioned awards. More modern in outlook, they are big on Aburi sushi (basically blowtorched like creme brulee - it's been done in Japan for a long time but a relatively modern sushi 'innovation' over here). Same folks also run Minami in Yaletown.

We also have a lot of Izakayas, which are very rate outside Japan (I'm sure your daughter will be familiar by now, but while sushi and teppanyaki have managed to spread across the world Izakayas remain rare except along US/Canada west coast so it's the kind of experience that might be most difficult to replicate back in Ohio). Kingyo is generally accepted as the best in town, but both Guu and Hapa local chains are well-respected. Personally I've always had a soft spot for Alpha, it flies under the radar enough that it's a quieter spot for dining and they have done a lot of innovation over the years on sushi rolls especially.

BTW, Ramen Jinya is a very easy walk from your hotel if you wanted to stretch your legs and grab a quick lunch on arrival.

Thank you. I dropped this post into a Word Doc ... My portfolio of documents she needs to review for our planning session is really getting huge.

And if you want to go high-end... Tojo is the one that everyone talks about.

Some Straight reader's choices...

Best Japanese

1. Tojo's, 1133 W. Broadway
  2. Miku Restaurant, 70–200 Granville
  3. Guu, Various locations

http://www.straight.com/goldenplates/2015/winners

First I apologize if this has been covered at nauseam, but I searched and did not find what I was looking for.

I have not nailed down a hotel yet for our trip arriving Sept. 25 and departing on cruise Sept. 28th, but I do think I'd like to stay near Canada Place, which appears to be relatively close to either cruise pier.

My question is this, is a rental car worth the hassle of returning it before leaving? Or is everything pretty much walkable? I would like to do the suspension bridge one day, but an also concerned that we are going to be in Vancouver over a weekend and will most likely be very crowded. If the suspension bridge is not crowded on the weekends (wishful thinking) I am thinking renting a car is unnecessary, but I may be wrong with our choice in area to stay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Econom405
Posted in error

The only cruise terminal that is being used this year is Canada Place so almost any hotel in the downtown will be about a $10 cab ride to Canada Place.

We Vancouver types don't recommend a rental car, the city has become very car-unfriendly over the past 10 years, parking at a downtown hotel is going to cost upwards of $20 per night and parking at attractions is hard to find and also expensive. If you wanted to do something like a drive to Whistler for a day then a car rental for the day would make sense. Other wise I would recommend a cab into the city from YVR for a flat rate of $35 or depending on the location of your hotel, then perhaps the Canada Line at $9 CAD per person. The HOHOs do a great job, there is a free shuttle to sights like the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain, plus the downtown is very walkable. There will be lots of restaurants near most downtown hotels....so no you really don't need a car.

First I apologize if this has been covered at nauseam, but I searched and did not find what I was looking for.

I have not nailed down a hotel yet for our trip arriving Sept. 25 and departing on cruise Sept. 28th, but I do think I'd like to stay near Canada Place, which appears to be relatively close to either cruise pier.

My question is this, is a rental car worth the hassle of returning it before leaving? Or is everything pretty much walkable? I would like to do the suspension bridge one day, but an also concerned that we are going to be in Vancouver over a weekend and will most likely be very crowded. If the suspension bridge is not crowded on the weekends (wishful thinking) I am thinking renting a car is unnecessary, but I may be wrong with our choice in area to stay.

Thoughts...

• another vote to SKIP the rental car if you are staying downtown.... much of the downtown is walkable
  • Grouse/Capilano offers free shuttles from downtown... no need for rental car
  • September weekend crowds are much more manageable than summer crowds, especially if it's raining.
  • If you use the hop on service for the second day... you don't need a car rental
  • what's your nightly hotel budget? We can shortlist some hotels for you...

I'll join in on the 'in general rental car is not a good idea' chant, but there are circumstances it's useful. Another couple of posters recently figured that killing a long day before an evening flight was worth renting a car for them - you can store your luggage in it while you see things, it's transportation to the airport at the end of the day, and if you're careful about what you're going to see it can be cheaper than transit even including parking.

If everything you want to see is outside the downtown core, it's worth comparing cost of rental (NB: any airport drop fee) & parking with transit tickets, luggage storage etc. Gas is pricey, but odds are you won't burn more than a few bucks worth anyway pootling around town.

For example, Stanley Park can be seen very well by car - parking is a set cost per hour or per day, but once you've paid you can move the car to any parking spot in the park displaying the same ticket. I've taken visitors who weren't physically capable of biking or walking around the park to see it this way and it's very effiicient - there's parking scattered throughout, so you can get close to all the various sites within the park.

Queen Elizabeth park, UBC campus, Cap Bridge & Grouse all have pretty cheap parking - and with your own car Lynn Canyon becomes a very easy alternative to Cap. Saving $30pp by not paying for Cap can easily pay off your car rental, gas, and parking for the day! While it's not as long or high, it's still a bouncy bridge over a river (and frankly the canyon is better-looking than Cap because it's narrower IMO), it's quieter, much more natural/unspoiled in appearance than Cap with all their bells & whistles, and you can actually learn something at the Ecology centre - all for free.

Of course you miss out on commentary from a guide by doing it yourself; someone has to drive so so sampling our delightful local brews; if you do want to see some downtown stuff parking can be seriously ka-ching as well as hard to find; and theft from autos is still a bit of an issue downtown (it's of the 'I can see cash/something easily fenced through the window and nobody is around, smash, grab, run' variety so locking everything up in the trunk, keeping windows closed, and locking the car is enough to make other people easier targets than you).