Staying in Tacoma, WA 2 days before Alaska cruise.

Tudy

Hey we are thinking about staying in Tacoma in September pre-cruise due to the high costs of hotels in Seattle AND DH wants to golf Chambers Bay. :D Any suggestions for other things to do in that area and places to eat that would appeal to a "Foodie?" I noticed Point Defiance mentioned on TripAdvisor. Thoughts?

We would really appreciate any recommendations.

Tacoma and nearby areas have a lot to offer. There's quite a developing restaurant scene, both downtown and out in the Ruston/Pt. Defiance area. You can (should) visit the Museum of Glass and Chihuly Bridge of Glass, the WA State Museum of History, maybe visit the excellent zoo at Point Defiance, and head over the Narrows bridge(s) to visit Gig Harbor, a lovely little community with some decent restaurants and views of boats, Mt. Rainier, etc.

Consider the Silver Cloud hotel built on pilings over the water for your stay.

I Love the Point Defiance Zoo and the Park that surrounds it. Its worth a visit.

GardyLou had alot of good suggestions.

Edited by trinaM

There are two spots for a beverage that stand out. Both have great food programs, too. Hilltop Kitchen on MLK is home of serious cocktails and a sort of Nuevo Mexicano menu. Game dishes are especially good. Tacoma Cabana is an unexpectedly excellent Tiki bar downtown on Pacific - this is serious cocktail Tiki.

For dining, Asado on 6th is my go-to.

I enjoy the Museum of Glass much more than the Chihuly exhibit in Seattle Center.

I'll second Gig Harbor--very pretty, and not far away. If the weather is decent, I highly recommend going out with Destiny Harbor Tours for a spin on the Sound. I went out on the 2-hour tour that goes to the Tacoma Narrows, Salmon Beach, and Pt. Defiance, and we loved it. They have great small boats--far more personal than Argosy's big boats up in Seattle--and they're really nice folks. Be sure to bring a sweater, even on a nice day--it gets chilly out on the water.

Gig Harbor is cute - and there are a few good dining options. I like Brix 25 and Netshed 9. Happy Hour at Anthony's is always a good idea.

Anthony's in Gig Harbor now runs their happy hour all night long.:):)

Thank you all for your wonderful recommendations. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking that Point Defiance would be great for evening photography. Thoughts?

Now I am starting to get excited!

Lynn

Hey we are thinking about staying in Tacoma in September pre-cruise due to the high costs of hotels in Seattle AND DH wants to golf Chambers Bay. :D Any suggestions for other things to do in that area and places to eat that would appeal to a "Foodie?" I noticed Point Defiance mentioned on TripAdvisor. Thoughts?

We would really appreciate any recommendations.

There are a lot of things to do in Tacoma. One of my favorite places is the Le May Car Museum http://www.lemaymarymount.org/ and the Americas car museum. https://www.americascarmuseum.org/ If you plan on Golfing at Chambers Bay you might want to reserve your Tee time now. It’s going to become a very popular course after the US Open, at least they are anticipating that it will be. They’ve pretty much priced the average local Golfer off Chambers Bay http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/golf/rates-and-services/ The last we were down at Antony’s at Point Defiance there were 2 Orca whales frolicking about 35 yards off the deck of the restaurant, they were there putting on a show the entire time we ate dinner.