Winchester

Thanks Steve and good thought, I had looked at that option but was concerned about crossing the bridge and London traffic congestion in the morning so figured it would be easier to backtrack to the E&C but I could be wrong.

My personal choice, having had a small amount of wheelchair experience, would be to catch the direct train from Waterloo to Winchester and take a taxi from Winchester station.

If the budget will stand it, book first class on the train. They also offer help for wheelchair users http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/assisted-travel.aspx

Edited by Bob++

If you get a black cab, it will be able to use bus lanes anyway. Or just take the 507 bus, which runs frequently between Waterloo and Victoria. They should be wheelchair accessible, but could be busy in rush hour, of course.

211 bus also.

Since you're staying near Waterloo, consider Bob's suggestion of taking the train then a short taxi hop from Winchester station to the cathedral / Broadway area. Taxi ranks at both the station and Broadway.

If you're staying in Winchester or continuing beyond, buy bucket-price train tickets in advance from Megatrain, if you're returning to London same-day buy day-return tickets at Waterloo station.

But if you take the Nat Express coach it drops right by kKing Alfred in the Broadway, and about 100 yards from the cathedral.

The main tourist part of Winchester, around the cathedral, is level ground and should be no problem with a wheelchair.

The cathedral is worth an hour or more, and you might be interested in the Bishop.s Palace ruins (replacement palace not open to the public) and the guildhall. in the cathedral is the tomb of Jane Austen, and look in the cathedral for the story of the deep-sea diver who spent years reinforcing the cathedral's foundations and saving it from collapse.

Pleasant shopping and gardens, plenty of pubs. Try their riverside one just beyond King Alfred's statue and opposite the Mill (which is now a pizza place :mad:).

Some years ago, during Winchester College's charity week, the city woke up to find giant chalk-painted footprints leading from Alfred's statue, up the centre of the road to a pedestrian crossing, across the crossing to the sidewalk, down the sidewalk into the men's restroom, then back the same way to his statue. Well, when you gotta go you gotta go :D

The Great Hall of Winchester castle (the only surviving part of the castle) is uphill, toward the station - if you want to visit, best to get your taxi to stop off for five minutes on your way from or to the station. Admission is free, donations welcomed - I'd suggest just a pound or two for both of you. Hung on the wall of the Great Hall is legendary King Arthur's Round Table. Ok, King Arthur was around 750AD and that table has been carbon-dated to the 14th century, but let's not allow truth to spoil a good tourist photo-opportunity ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I fully agree with JB and Bob above. (would I dare not to, I ask myself??!! :) )

Getting the taxi to the cathedral area is a must for you if you come by train. You definitely do not want to tackle the route to and from the station with a wheelchair. Apart from the steepness, the pavements in that route are not good- very uneven and can get very crowded at times and can be quite difficult to negotiate when the market stalls are there every day but Monday and Tuesdays.

Once at the Cathedral area, you should have no problem getting around and filling 3-4 hours. Don't forget to explore the delightful area at the back of the Cathedral. It's also a great idea to get your taxi to drop you off for a visit to the Great Hall if you can like JB suggested. Definitely worth a look.

If you wish and have time, you can go down by the river - easily accessed with a wheelchair down a slope next to the Bishop On The Bridge pub (opposite the National Trust Mill) and on round, on the level, to Wolvesley Palace. If you are managing ok, you can continue then along College Street past Winchester College and Jane Austen's house, turing right at the end and then round through Kingsgate and back into the back of the Cathedral Grounds.

I would also suggest you visit the website of our Tourist Office before you come and/or maybe also call in whilst you are here for any maps and access friendly tips and suggestions in the City. They have a reputation for being very helpful.

http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/tourist-information-centre

Hope you enjoy your visit to Winchester :)

Edited by Scriv