What do you all do during late afternoons on sea days?

cbusoh

Nap, walk around, drink, read, play tetris / Candy crush on my phone, watch TV, whatever activity from the daily tickles my fancy - that's how I pretty much fill it up late afternoon sea days.

We tend to hit the pool area in late morning, get lunch and then maybe back to the pool but overall I find afternoons a bit boring, there are usually a couple of shows on sea days but other than that it seems not much is happening, just curious what others do to fill their time?

Watch the sea birds, Dolphins, whales; try to determine which species we are seeing. Read. Process images from earlier shore days. Catch up on emails. Post images online for those following our trip. Read brochures and think/talk about where to cruise over the next few years. Maybe even do a little planning for the next port day.

How many in a row?

9! And that happened on a pretty routine repostioning cruise from Galveston to Europe on Princess. On our recent transpacific cruise (HAL) 12 out of the first 14 days were sea days. The other two were when we docked in Honolulu where DW and I had to twist each other's arms to bother getting off. Although we love Hawaii, we have little love for Oahu.

I should have mentioned that on the Prinsendam cruise where we had 23 sea days (out of a 62 day cruise) we wondered how we would feel at the end of the cruise. At our "last supper" DW looked at me, smiled, and said she could easily do another 62 days (which is when we realized that perhaps a World Cruise is in our future). Like most cruisers we started with short Caribbean cruises and gradually increased the length of our cruises as we aged, had more time off, and more money. Once we hit retirement it was like kids in a candy store but we gradually increased our cruising length trying to find the point at which we would say, " we are sick of being on this ship!" But alas, it has never happened. We could easily be "those people" that spend 10 or 11 months a year on ships.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm never bored on board. On my last several cruises, there's been a 4:30 pm trivia match in the afternoons, so if there's nothing else of interest listed in the Patters for that time, I'll get a yummy snack from the International Cafe and pop into the Explorers Lounge to engage my mind.

On our upcoming cruise (33 sleeps!), there will be five sea days out of the fourteen. My wife loves to sunbathe so, weather permitting, she will spend all day by the pool - and I mean all day! I'll probably join her for an hour or so early on, before the sun gets too strong but there's only so much sitting around I can do, even if I'm reading. So mid-morning, I'll have a wander around the ship, perhaps do a bit of laundry if it's midway through the cruise - something I'm perfectly happy to do as it means we don't have to bring as many clothes - then look at the menus outside the MDR to fantasise about the evening meal. I'll take a look in the Patter/Horizon/whatever to see if there are any lectures etc that tickle my pickle then go and see if Mrs Wobblybob is ready for lunch. After lunch (generally only a burger or pizza), I'll abandon her again, attend a lecture/recital and then find somewhere outdoors but in shade (generally at the aft of the ship) and read for a bit. Around this time, I'll note that the sun has gone over the yardarm so I'll have a beer or gin and tonic - or two! Then I'll amble back to see if Mrs W fancies afternoon tea. If she does, we'll head to the MDR. If not then no drama. I won't go by myself as I don't get as much pleasure out of it. Then it's a bit more relaxing, and I may even go to the cabin for a snooze. We'll have arranged a time to meet up at the cabin to get changed and enjoy an apperitif or two, then it's time for our evening meal and the evening's entertainment.

I must confess that I do prefer port days, as I'm more of 'doer' than a 'sitter', but what could be better than a couple of days with absolutely nothing to do?

Okay, I'll admit this is a little off the wall, but if we're not trivializing, writing, reading, doing a Sudoku, walking the promenade, or listening to music, I like to plunk down somewhere, look out over the water and just let my mind do some roving. It likes the freedom to go where it wants once in a while, I let it off its leash. Sometimes it takes me right to dreamland.

7]I like to plunk down somewhere' date=' look out over the water and just let my mind do some roving. It likes the freedom to go where it wants once in a while, I let it off its leash. Sometimes it takes me right to dreamland.[/size'][/color]

I daren't let mine off its leash - I'm terrified it wouldn't come back! :eek::D