Freeport beach choice help??

fhmoore

In Freeport I want a good swimming beach with no rocky/slimy "floor"and my husband wants good snorkeling (has his own gear) either off the beach or a snorkel boat option from the beach/resort's water sports facility.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm actually looking for the same information. We want to do a beach day but the "slimy" ocean floor of some ports (was our experience at CoCo Cay last year with RCCL) is something my husband definitely doesn't like. So any beach options that aren't too far away from the port would be awesome.

We just returned on Sunday and took a cab to Junkanoo beach. The cab ride there is a $14 round trip; $3 entry into beach area; $3 rental fee per chair. The beach is very clean with nice water, no rocks, and entertainment options like limbo and volleyball. If you are not interested in the activities, like us, you can take a right and go toward the end of the property.

The chairs are not the nicest, and no umbrellas are available, but for a price conscious beach day on a nice beach, it's a bargain gem.

The return trips to the port run every hour on the hour and the staff is very efficient at keeping everyone aware of the time and arranging appropriate transportation back to the pier.

In addition, there is a restaurant on site if you want to lunch or have a snack while there with plenty of shade to take a break from the sun.

Hope you enjoy your day!

• 3 weeks later...
We just returned on Sunday and took a cab to Junkanoo beach. The cab ride there is a $14 round trip; $3 entry into beach area; $3 rental fee per chair. The beach is very clean with nice water, no rocks, and entertainment options like limbo and volleyball. If you are not interested in the activities, like us, you can take a right and go toward the end of the property.

The chairs are not the nicest, and no umbrellas are available, but for a price conscious beach day on a nice beach, it's a bargain gem.

The return trips to the port run every hour on the hour and the staff is very efficient at keeping everyone aware of the time and arranging appropriate transportation back to the pier.

In addition, there is a restaurant on site if you want to lunch or have a snack while there with plenty of shade to take a break from the sun.

Hope you enjoy your day!

How long was ride to beach from port?

Last visit, we walked to Junkanoo (not that far, but maybe not a good idea now with all the crime bulletins). Mrs. X was immediately turned off by the whole atmosphere and so we took a cab for a day pass at the Sheraton (now the Melia). The Sheraton felt like a bunch of imported sand; but it was a clean safe environment.

• 1 month later...

We used Pat & Diane for a snorkel tour! It was wonderful. We actually did the snorkel and private beach tour with lunch. Great people and a lot of fun. If you google Pat and Diane you will find them. They get great reviews on trip advisor also!

• 2 weeks later...
We used Pat & Diane for a snorkel tour! It was wonderful. We actually did the snorkel and private beach tour with lunch. Great people and a lot of fun. If you google Pat and Diane you will find them. They get great reviews on trip advisor also!

Did you do the 3 hour or 5 hour snorkeling and how long were you in port for to do it? We'll be in Freeport 8/21 and I just got a quote from them of $85 for 2 adults for the 3 hour tour plus taxes and $20 total for our transportation. Still comes to less than $115 for 2 adults which is MUCH less than what booking through Carnival would be. They do have a 5 star rating on TripAdvisor, which is reassuring (only our 2nd cruise and would be our first non-cruiseline booked excursion).

We did Grand Lucayan Resort. It's only $16 per person to use the beach and pool. Beach is very nice, not rocky. Pools are nice. About 25 min. from Carnival port. Taxi was about $10 per person (can't remember if that was round trip or not). Bring your own towel. No food or drink included. We had a great day.

We did Grand Lucayan Resort. It's only $16 per person to use the beach and pool. Beach is very nice, not rocky. Pools are nice. About 25 min. from Carnival port. Taxi was about $10 per person (can't remember if that was round trip or not). Bring your own towel. No food or drink included. We had a great day.

Is it the same price for kids?

We only did it once and I don't think they gave us a receipt or ticket. I too was kind of wondering if I would see them again, but they were waiting for us at the market. It is a fair ways from the port to Lucaya. I would play it safe and be in that cab coming back before 2 p.m.

If the taxi ride is $/person round trip., do they give you a coupon or something to get back to the ship? I am worried about not being able to get back in time. We are in port from 8-4. Thanks!!!

I've been there four times and they do give you some kind of ticket/coupon for the taxi van back to the pier.

I had planned on going to Grand Lucayan Resort in October, however I just checked their website and it says they are no longer offering day passes. :eek:

Where did you see this? I can't find any mention of it either way on the website. :confused:

I had planned on going to Grand Lucayan Resort in October, however I just checked their website and it says they are no longer offering day passes. :eek:

I just booked daypasses through Shore Excursioneer (we have used them before for other ports. Maybe they no longer sell them directly.