Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?

Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?

• No, The VIFP Club is Fine As Is
    • Yes, This Does Seem Like a Valid / Feasible Change

I totally agree with you. I hate to say it, but I think Carnival has the most schemers, cheats and self entitled passengers on any line I have sailed. ..

I like sailing Carnival and have sailed many cruises on them...

Seriously? That is way out on a limb, and for which I throw you no preserver.

I understand where you're coming from. On my Glory cruise in November, there were about 200 people, but it was held in the main theater. That was the basic Eastern route. On my Liberty from San Juan on the 5-port cruise, it was held in the aft lounge, and was standing room only, with about 350 people. I could not imagine cruises like the Legend's Panama Canal crossing or the Splendor's repo cruises or these new Journey's cruises. they were probably packed.

No matter who gets to go, I think having it in the main show lounge is the best place for it.

Then that makes it blatantly obvious to set policies for those known cruises where they have overloads of frequent fliers, but not to keep futzing with the programs themselves per se. They know their manifests and their passengers demographics and spends before the ship ever sails, or has sailed, in the past 10-15 years. It's not a mystery. And, what you are indicating is NOT the scenarios that Carnival and it's agents have indicated. They are staunchly saying too much participation in the hosted social party is the reason for the cut/change in the program itself.

Here's how I'd set up the VIFP loyalty program. Feel free to comment as you wish.

Blue

First cruise.

Perks:

* "Welcome to Carnival" postcard, printed on regular thick paper

Red

2 to 25 cruise days

Perks:

* Buy a DoD in a souvenir glass for the price of a regular glass, once per cruise

OR Coupon to use on a soda or premium coffee

Bronze

26 to 50 cruise days

Perks:

* Free photo 5x7 or smaller, one per cruise

* Buy a DoD in a souvenir glass for the price of a regular glass, once per cruise

OR Coupon to use on a soda or premium coffee

Silver

51 to 75 cruise days

Perks:

* Free photo 5x7 or smaller, one per cruise

* Coupon to use on any drink, anywhere, at any time

Gold

76 to 125 cruise days

Perks:

* Free photo any size, one per cruise

* Coupon to use on any drink, anywhere, at any time

* "Gold Level" pin on each sailing

* "Welcome to Gold Level" postcard, printed on nice glossy paper, first time only

Platinum

125 to 250 cruise days

Perks:

* Past Guest party for Platinum and Diamond

* Free drink in the MDR, once per cruise

* Priority tendering

* Priority line for guest services

* Priority MDR and specialty restaurant reservations

* Free gift at each sailing (this includes food trays)

* Free laundry service, once per cruise 6 days or longer

* Discounted Cheers package prices

Diamond

Over 250 cruise days

Perks:

* Past Guest party for Platinum and Diamond

* Free drink in the MDR, once per cruise

* Priority embarkation

* Priority debarkation

* Priority tendering

* Priority line for guest services

* Priority MDR and specialty restaurant reservations, over Platinum

* Free premium gift at each sailing (this includes premium food trays)

* Free laundry service, unlimited on any cruise

* Free specialty restaurant visit, one time only

* Priority 800-number

* Discounted Cheers package prices

Why bother with all that? They need to roll up the loyalty programs among all their brands and require very high number of cross brand, sea days to achieve any sort of perk. That will revamp for everyone, and save the company millions.

I don't think another level is needed between Gold and Platinum but instead between Platinum and Diamond. Something like Emerald or Platinum Plus. There is only 50 days between Gold and Platinum but there is 125 days between Platinum and Diamond. I would be in favor of a level between Platinum and Diamond.

sure, there's a greater difference in terms of days between platinum and diamond...

but the thing is that gold is a BS status at this point, especially considering the recent action of rescinding the invitation to the past guest party... at this point, the difference between someone on their first cruise (blue) and second cruise (red) is what, a bottle of water? and the difference between someone on their second cruise (red) and their 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 15th? (25-75 days) is a free drink coupon (that they already took back a while ago, and are now cancelling party in lieu of giving back), a bottle of water and a stupid pin?

platinum gets a decent set of perks... gold gets CRAP at this point, and so there is a greater disparity in terms of perks for the gold members, and so long as they keep the vifp system as it is currently, i think the focus should be there, not giving platinum members even more, as at least they're already afforded some decent perks - and yet another one, by kicking out the golds from the party...

sure, there's a greater difference in terms of days between platinum and diamond...

but the thing is that gold is a BS status at this point, especially considering the recent action of rescinding the invitation to the past guest party... at this point, the difference between someone on their first cruise (blue) and second cruise (red) is what, a bottle of water? and the difference between someone on their second cruise (red) and their 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 15th? (25-75 days) is a free drink coupon (that they already took back a while ago, and are now cancelling party in lieu of giving back), a bottle of water and a stupid pin?

platinum gets a decent set of perks... gold gets CRAP at this point, and so there is a greater disparity in terms of perks for the gold members, and so long as they keep the vifp system as it is currently, i think the focus should be there, not giving platinum members even more, as at least they're already afforded some decent perks - and yet another one, by kicking out the golds from the party...

Thankyou! for understanding my and many other gold tier cruiser's frustration with this latest change.!

P.s I did not vote in the poll because I did not like either choice.

Edited by SMSACE6

I do think another tier is needed but not between Gold and Platinum but between Platinum and Diamond. It's only 50 days now between Gold and Platinum but 125 days between Platinum and Diamond. Yes there are those that have a lot more than the required 200 days for Diamond but it is such a stretch to reach Diamond and the perks are basically the same except for a couple of one time perks and the Captain's event. We are Diamond and have been since the beginning but I can appreciate the number of cruises to attain Diamond. There is talk of another level above Diamond and I would like to see a 365 day level for one year on Carnival but a true double Diamond would take a few years to achieve. It's like they keep moving the finish line.

I have been asking for a level above the Diamond for a long time, I wish they would do that, also I agree that a couple of other levels would be nice, something between gold and Platinum and between Platinum and Diamond, there should always be a carrot hanging out to want you to move forward.

Considering Gold members have only sailed 25-75 days I think they get enough. I don't think you are worthy of a Free drink party until 75 days.

I have been asking for a level above the Diamond for a long time, I wish they would do that, also I agree that a couple of other levels would be nice, something between gold and Platinum and between Platinum and Diamond, there should always be a carrot hanging out to want you to move forward.

Double Diamond Elite.

Edited by Gryffindor55

Considering Gold members have only sailed 25-75 days I think they get enough. I don't think you are worthy of a Free drink party until 75 days.

is that for real? not worthy? well aren't you seemingly entitled and elitist in that sentiment...

not worthy of a free drink party...? you mean a free drink party similar to the captain's celebration that used to be open to everybody? you mean a free drink party similar to the 'past guest' party, where any returning cruiser was welcome? or the more recent iteration, of the gold+ past guest party? all of which have been extended by carnival in the past - at those times, deeming those demographic groups 'worthy'... one thing's for sure, i'm glad you're not in charge of the loyalty program...

you know, carnival didn't really have a problem facilitating any of those... it really is just a cost saving cutback, plain and simple... which really was probably extenuated by those that chose to bring '+1s' who did not qualify... sure the ranks of golds AND platinum and diamond have grown, but there's plenty of EACH rank i'm certain, that bring their cabin mates, spouses, etc. which made it untenable to maintain. and i'm sure those that qualify under the current terms will continue to do so...

but seriously, to say 'not worthy'... well i don't know you the same as you don't know me, but i will say it is sentiment like that which just crossed your keyboard which is why there is some 'anti-platinum' blow back on the boards currently... because of posts which come across as rude, selfish, self-serving and demeaning.

karma's a you know what, and as the rank of platinum cruisers grows, i can't say i'll be particularly sympathetic when those perks, which really are bore on the backs of the blue, red and gold cruisers which constitute the majority of carnival's customers, for those of you with such sentiment at this time are inevitably cut. enjoy it while you can, and are considered 'worthy'. FFS :rolleyes:

is that for real? not worthy? well aren't you seemingly entitled and elitist in that sentiment...

not worthy of a free drink party...? you mean a free drink party similar to the captain's celebration that used to be open to everybody? you mean a free drink party similar to the 'past guest' party, where any returning cruiser was welcome? or the more recent iteration, of the gold+ past guest party? all of which have been extended by carnival in the past - at those times, deeming those demographic groups 'worthy'... one thing's for sure, i'm glad you're not in charge of the loyalty program...

you know, carnival didn't really have a problem facilitating any of those... it really is just a cost saving cutback, plain and simple... which really was probably extenuated by those that chose to bring '+1s' who did not qualify... sure the ranks of golds AND platinum and diamond have grown, but there's plenty of EACH rank i'm certain, that bring their cabin mates, spouses, etc. which made it untenable to maintain. and i'm sure those that qualify under the current terms will continue to do so...

but seriously, to say 'not worthy'... well i don't know you the same as you don't know me, but i will say it is sentiment like that which just crossed your keyboard which is why there is some 'anti-platinum' blow back on the boards currently... because of posts which come across as rude, selfish, self-serving and demeaning.

karma's a you know what, and as the rank of platinum cruisers grows, i can't say i'll be particularly sympathetic when those perks, which really are bore on the backs of the blue, red and gold cruisers which constitute the majority of carnival's customers, for those of you with such sentiment at this time are inevitably cut. enjoy it while you can, and are considered 'worthy'. FFS :rolleyes:

Quick to judge me when you don't know me. I am definitely NOT a seemingly entitled person. However, I truly believe that 25 days is not deserving of a free drink party. I also disagree that it is not a cost saving measure. It was based on the guest feedback that the party was getting overcrowded and it was. I am looking forward to my cruise in a few weeks where I can actually get my well deserved free drinks and the room not being overcrowded.

Quick to judge me when you don't know me. I am definitely NOT a seemingly entitled person. However, I truly believe that 25 days is not deserving of a free drink party. I also disagree that it is not a cost saving measure. It was based on the guest feedback that the party was getting overcrowded and it was. I am looking forward to my cruise in a few weeks where I can actually get my well deserved free drinks and the room not being overcrowded.

no, i don't know you, and i specifically said that:

i'm not judging you, if anything i'm judging your comment and sentiment, but more accurately i am providing my feedback regarding the same.

in short, i do not agree with you, and i outlined the reasons why above. i also personally do not grant much credence to your judgement that one is 'not worthy' (that's really what got me) of a 'free drink party' until 75 days - a metric which as i outlined is historically disparate from what carnival has deemed 'worthy'

i feel bad for the many people who will be looking forward to, and boarding their cruises, in the next few weeks the same as you, which will no longer be entitled to what i consider to be their 'well deserved free drinks' as you put it...

and we'll have to agree to disagree it wasn't a cost-cutting measure. as far as the bottom line is concerned, it certainly is... and you can't tell me that if the 'overcrowding' was the primary problem, they could not find a better way to control the nature of the situation... check cards at the door... require invitations... that would probably cut down on 1/3 of the attendees or more... separate it into smaller more manageable groups, all are viable alternatives... further, there is the deleterious effects of 'changes' to the program along its lineage as outlined above (and throw in the fun farewell party to that chronology), as carnival seeks to minimize the cost expenditure of this 'perk'... which reinforces my assessment regarding it being a cost saving measure.

enjoy your next cruise, and the free drinks...

Lack of participation. Too much participation. Which bowl of porridge is "just right?"

whichever one costs less, as they follow the spiral to the bottom dollar. it's all been a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo justifying cost cutting measures to that effect.

I voted yes...just because they need to do something to honor the morale blunder.

Something affordable to them that does not change...and own up to their poor ways of handling it. Make it a cost value understood decision that everyone can buy..and simplify things somehow....

Someone said a one two three drink thing....

I think that would be ok if it is separate from some failed drinking party and they do a good Carnival Group Loyalty thing .....kind of win/win . Maybe a prize gathering for other levels or something for all levels together where everyone votes for how many ships they have been on.... all levels can be together, and each level gets acknowledged with a prize drawing....but get their perks like laundry and that extra drink or two in separate stable categories about like they are now, separate yet together. Somehow feathers could be unruffled and a perk program can be less than other lines but not like the dollar store...a Nice Target gift, or 15, 50, and 75 to 100 obc winners etc....This could easily be added to the info and shop meeting...brainstormed by some loyal cruisers who were really hurt by this.....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

The loyalty program is not so much an enticement to cruise but moreover a reward for cruising. Much the same way an airline program works.

For discussion sake, since you brought it up, what would inspire you?

Honestly, that's a great question. I guess I'd prefer something closer to IHG (Holiday Inn) rewards. You earn points for your stays and you can use them for whatever you want.

Unlike IHG, your points would only be usable on Carnival offerings.

I obviously haven't given it enough thought to be able to break this down accurately, but say you get 5 points per night for an inside cabin, 7 outside, 10 balcony, 15 suite, whatever, you get the idea.

Then, you can either use your points or save them. Have a list of redemptions, like 25 points is worth a free drink, 50 is worth an 8X10, 100 is worth one free dinner in the steakhouse, and so on, all the way up to free excursions and even cruises, if you earn thousands of points.

That is something that would keep me coming back. There's an incentive to do so. For me, none of the current rewards mean anything at all. I can buy my own drink. So, in my scenario, I'd just bypass it and earn points towards something that does have value to me. Others would get their free drink every time or whatever.

Figure Carnival also would make out, because lots of people would never redeem their points.

whichever one costs less, as they follow the spiral to the bottom dollar. it's all been a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo justifying cost cutting measures to that effect.

Agreed. Done poorly and in bad form from a very high powered marketing and branding company

I think that would be ok if it is separate from some failed drinking party and they do a good Carnival Group Loyalty thing

Sarah - I am not trying to be mean, but among other things, I do not understand why you characterize an over attended social party as a 'failed drinking party'. It's only overattended if it's popular, and only failed if attendance is too low.

Edited by eponym

Gee, I can't imagine how many days you have been onboard Carnival ships if you have been requesting a level above Diamond "for a long time".

Prepare yourself. This can easily be solved by adding cross brand sailing requirements to Platinum and Diamond in order to serve your interests better.

Sarah - I am not trying to be mean, but among other things, I do not understand why you characterize an over attended social party as a 'failed drinking party'. It's only overattended if it's popular, and only failed if attendance is too low.

Hi..ok..I see where you are coming from...I guess I made assumption that many times it was a fail to them for cost, too many too drunk..or whatever...but that I do not now for sure...

Thanks..just trying to brainstorm a fix after the issues probably both known and unknown to all of us..:):).

Somehow there has to be a revamp and re-loyalty thing..as far as I can tell and an admission that some of those deals were pathetic...like the pack your clothes drink...LOL..sarah

Edited by sjn911

Agreed. Done poorly and in bad form from a very high powered marketing and branding company

agreed and agreed. and so long as you offer the mantle of being a 'high powered marketing and branding company' - they have been. they should be. but everything i've seen in the past several years smack of 'amateur' every single time... from the response to 'catastrophes' in the like of splendor or triumph, to seriously mindless BS like the VIFP changes and how they are implemented... why can't they do anything 'well'? not to mention 'good'... and to say, oh, hey, we're going to make some 'FUN' changes...

i know there have been some changes in the carnival management team recently... i think there should be more, as this multi-billion dollar company consistently presents itself to be run by absolute amateurs, and the customer feedback would warrant the same. why, carnival? you can be so much better than this...

Honestly, that's a great question. I guess I'd prefer something closer to IHG (Holiday Inn) rewards. You earn points for your stays and you can use them for whatever you want.

Unlike IHG, your points would only be usable on Carnival offerings.

I obviously haven't given it enough thought to be able to break this down accurately, but say you get 5 points per night for an inside cabin, 7 outside, 10 balcony, 15 suite, whatever, you get the idea.

Then, you can either use your points or save them. Have a list of redemptions, like 25 points is worth a free drink, 50 is worth an 8X10, 100 is worth one free dinner in the steakhouse, and so on, all the way up to free excursions and even cruises, if you earn thousands of points.

That is something that would keep me coming back. There's an incentive to do so. For me, none of the current rewards mean anything at all. I can buy my own drink. So, in my scenario, I'd just bypass it and earn points towards something that does have value to me. Others would get their free drink every time or whatever.

Figure Carnival also would make out, because lots of people would never redeem their points.

Well thought out reply. My guess is that we would not see something like that in the foreseeable future, but who knows. There are many here who would like to see their loyalty be equally rewarded on the companies other lines, but the lines between these (both in terms of how you earn points - to use your term - or how you spend therm) is murky to say the least.

Recently the company began advertising as one unit (all nine lines / T least for the most part) so that is a small step in the right direction.

Five or six years ago Carnival hired Jim Berra awY from Starwood who was responsible for their loyalty program. Everyone (including me) had delusions of grandeur on what he would make the Carnival program into.

Six levels, are you kidding. Can you imagine what that would be like? Six groups of people; each with a bunch of people that do nothing but complain and whine about free gifts that aren't the RIGHT KIND of free gifts. Carnival should start including cheese as a free gift to go with the whines that people give them back. :rolleyes:

Royal gives you a free robe after a certain level? That's Nice. That's probably 40-50 bucks.

Unless things have changed in the last year, the robe is given to you to USE on the ship, not to take home. Unlike Carnival, who puts robes in all cabins, Royal Caribbean only puts robes in cabins for the upper levels.

If you want to take them home from either line, you need to buy them. If things have changed, and I seriously doubt that with the changes Royal is making, they are giving away free robes, I'm sure someone will correct me.

We don't cruise for handouts or a free party.... We never attend anyway. Most of the people that attend these are the same ones on here complaining about everything, so why would I want to go listen to their BS? I get on the ship, get my First DOD and forget life and the complainers! Life is short, why complain your way through it? Enjoy it! :eek:

The Truth,

ML

Edited by Mark-da-Shark