uk call center rates - 2hrs call still not sorted

Hi Thoi im not sure if you have tried but you can book directly with any us agencies ive done it a couple of times but unfortunately are Australian dollar is on the slide so better outcomes here although ive got to say rccl cruise prices have shot up in price

Hi Thoi im not sure if you have tried but you can book directly with any us agencies ive done it a couple of times but unfortunately are Australian dollar is on the slide so better outcomes here although ive got to say rccl cruise prices have shot up in price

That was what I was implying about moving to America :) Had some conversations with various Americans on my last cruise, and a plan is being hatched. I'm also using a German travel agent for my next cruise. I got it at a rock bottom price to start with, but I was able to switch from an inside to a balcony cabin easily (without forfeiting the original deposit), so I want to talk to them at some stage and find out if they operate like the US model with price drops, etc.

The free phone number is best I think. You could wait for weeks to get a response otherwise.

by using the freephone number it is only your time you are spending, and not lots of money!

What a great tip.

Those other numbers are very expensive, and the OP will have no option but to pay the bill.

It will cost a lot.

I also like the idea about skype and using the USA number.

Another great idea.

But the OP will have to pay a lot of money, and I hope they didnt use their mobile / cell, as it will cost a fortune.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is the best for advice. Go Lynn

Looks like I'll be moving to America before making my next booking.

You can book cruises via USA travel agents (they are often called travel concierges over there) without having to move to the USA. I have used one a couple of times [not sure if I can name them here] and they can often beat the UK prices.

Possible downsides:

They bill you in USD so you are exposed to currency fluctuations until you have fully paid

Your card company might charge to convert USD to your local currency.

You are not ABTA covered.

It could be a scam artist.

Possible upsides:

The USA don't add on a surcharge for paying by credit card.

It can be really cheap to call your agent in the USA (way cheaper than 0844 in the UK).

Medical insurance can be a lot cheaper (strange but true) - ask the agent for a quote.

You can book cruises via USA travel agents (they are often called travel concierges over there) without having to move to the USA. I have used one a couple of times [not sure if I can name them here] and they can often beat the UK prices. .

That is a great tip.

Thanks for sharing this, and will try and see the price.

You can book cruises via USA travel agents (they are often called travel concierges over there) without having to move to the USA. I have used one a couple of times [not sure if I can name them here] and they can often beat the UK prices.

Possible downsides:

They bill you in USD so you are exposed to currency fluctuations until you have fully paid

Your card company might charge to convert USD to your local currency.

You are not ABTA covered.

It could be a scam artist.

Possible upsides:

The USA don't add on a surcharge for paying by credit card.

It can be really cheap to call your agent in the USA (way cheaper than 0844 in the UK).

Medical insurance can be a lot cheaper (strange but true) - ask the agent for a quote.

There was another thread recently about this. Someone said their US TA could no longer book them on US rates as they had cracked down on residency restrictions for offers. They could still book the cruise through them but they couldn't quaify for the same rates.

I am guessing RC caught up with the loophole and are trying to close it.

I tried a number of U.S. Websites to book my upcoming cruise. They asked for address and either didn't accept non North American addresses or would accept it and then give a pop up saying I had to be directed to a different site. That said I managed to find an Australian TA website that got me a "net fare" that was cheaper than anything I'd seen on US websites esp factoring in currency conversions.

I don't understand why we Europeans put up with being charged to call various customer service phone numbers. :mad: I always use the say no to 0870 website to try to find an alternative phone number but there isn't always one available.

I always opt for either the US option or Swedish option if I need to call customer services for e.g. an airline as we pay £5/month for international (and UK) calls.

We will locate one in person when we're there in June. :)

update - I got them to phone me for round 2 - they say it is all now sorted however, they have once again failed to send me any updated invoice which shows what I have paid (even although it was promised). My payment date is soon and I still have nothing to show that the old deposit id to be transfered over so not owed. So I will have to sit it out and see what happens on that day. I will await my dreaded phone bill but if bad I plan to claim the money back and will also then claim for my time (lawyers in the family so a wee letter via from one of them may help :rolleyes:)

update - I got them to phone me for round 2 - they say it is all now sorted however, they have once again failed to send me any updated invoice which shows what I have paid (even although it was promised). My payment date is soon and I still have nothing to show that the old deposit id to be transfered over so not owed. So I will have to sit it out and see what happens on that day. I will await my dreaded phone bill but if bad I plan to claim the money back and will also then claim for my time (lawyers in the family so a wee letter via from one of them may help :rolleyes:)

So why didn't you make them stay on the phone until you received the email and check it was correct before ending the call?

I get the service hasn't been great, and I am not excusing it in any form, but common sense would have been to get confirmed in righting (email) before they left.

I would get them to ring you back again and make sure you are getting the emails whilst they are on the phone. I never end a call without making sure the email is received my end first so I can check and fix any spelling errors etc there and then without the need for getting back in touch. Otherwise you have no idea if there is a mistake in email address they are sending it to and hence why you are not receiving. I assume you have been checking your spam folder?

I don't understand why people are still complaining about the cost of calls when you have the 0800 number.

I've been using that number for years (used to be printed in their UK brochure)and its always worked, I've just tried it again and its still working. It sounds dead at first but if you wait for a few seconds it cuts in, for Royal Caribbean International press 1......

If the call centre is closed it tells you the opening hours.

Not saying they are always great when you get through but it doesn't have to cost anything to speak to them.

Julie

So why didn't you make them stay on the phone until you received the email and check it was correct before ending the call?

I get the service hasn't been great, and I am not excusing it in any form, but common sense would have been to get confirmed in righting (email) before they left.

I would get them to ring you back again and make sure you are getting the emails whilst they are on the phone. I never end a call without making sure the email is received my end first so I can check and fix any spelling errors etc there and then without the need for getting back in touch. Otherwise you have no idea if there is a mistake in email address they are sending it to and hence why you are not receiving. I assume you have been checking your spam folder?

Well that was the plan, however, she said that she could not send it as it needed a supervisor to sign off the new invoice as they were cutting off quite a bit of money ( the money they added in on error!!). I requested to hold while this was done but she refused saying it may not be completed until the next day. I which point I requested to be transferred up line but she said they can't do any thing else today then gave me a number if I wanted to complain up line and then hung up on me. Next day came and went no invoice.- However, I did record the call (I informed them of this so legal)- Any more issues or if they cancel me due to their mistake meaning balance not paid and I will pass to my credit card company and book a different cruiseline.

Booking a holiday should not have been this difficult. Good news is I finally did receive the invoices to prove I have bought on board credit.

I don't understand why people are still complaining about the cost of calls when you have the 0800 number.

I've been using that number for years (used to be printed in their UK brochure)and its always worked, I've just tried it again and its still working. It sounds dead at first but if you wait for a few seconds it cuts in, for Royal Caribbean International press 1......

If the call centre is closed it tells you the opening hours.

Not saying they are always great when you get through but it doesn't have to cost anything to speak to them.

Julie

I have never booked Royal before so only had the numbers they had sent me on my original correct and then new wrong invoices- I know now to use the 0800 number. - However, not sure I would book direct with them again after this. If the cruise is good I will try through a usa agent in the future

I have never booked Royal before so only had the numbers they had sent me on my original correct and then new wrong invoices- I know now to use the 0800 number. - However, not sure I would book direct with them again after this. If the cruise is good I will try through a usa agent in the future

In hindsight it probably would have been easier to have left the deposit on the original booking, and just made a new deposit on the new second cabin. I have never had to try to split a cabin onto two cabins before and unfortunately RC system is not renowned for being easy to use.

From what I read you booked cabin for 4 then changed category and moved into two cabins for 2. As technically this likely made them new bookings, I suspect either making two new deposits and cancelling the original deposit, or keeping amount paid on "original" booking and new deposit on second cabin would have been the best thing they should have recommended, especially when they said it would take three weeks to transfer and that, from what I read on your other posts, took you past final payment date.

Personally I would say if they haven't transferred yet, leave as is and just make the payment on the second cabin.

I hope you get resolved soon.

Edited by Spurschick

Its a real shame that the UK office has gone downhill since moving, they used to be exceptionally good. In our experience at least the ships are still great so worth it in the end.

We have used USA agents occasionally but I'm not really a fan as we usually book early and are then at the mercy of exchange rates. If you are thinking of booking again it would be worth checking out the prices when you are onboard, with the new refundable deposit scheme available worldwide and the same offers as in the US, some of the prices when we were onboard a couple of weeks ago were really good. Plus you can also transfer the booking to a UK TA if you choose so would not have to deal with RCL direct.

Julie

In hindsight it probably would have been easier to have left the deposit on the original booking, and just made a new deposit on the new second cabin. I have never had to try to split a cabin onto two cabins before and unfortunately RC system is not renowned for being easy to use.

From what I read you booked cabin for 4 then changed category and moved into two cabins for 2. As technically this likely made them new bookings, I suspect either making two new deposits and cancelling the original deposit, or keeping amount paid on "original" booking and new deposit on second cabin would have been the best thing they should have recommended, especially when they said it would take three weeks to transfer and that, from what I read on your other posts, took you past final payment date.

Personally I would say if they haven't transferred yet, leave as is and just make the payment on the second cabin.

I hope you get resolved soon.

Unfortunately they didn't give me a choice to do that as 1st cabin was for 4 we had to get 2 new cabins for 2 - I didn't really pay heed to what they were doing and just let them get on with it as I did not expect it to be so complicated that it would result in the mess that ensued. I just have to hope that when final payment day arrives (which will be before the 3 weeks transfer time there won't be an issue with us still - on paper owing the deposit - I offered to over pay now and they could pay back or transfer the extra to OBC but they said their system can't do that )

Unfortunately they didn't give me a choice to do that as 1st cabin was for 4 we had to get 2 new cabins for 2 - I didn't really pay heed to what they were doing and just let them get on with it as I did not expect it to be so complicated that it would result in the mess that ensued. I just have to hope that when final payment day arrives (which will be before the 3 weeks transfer time there won't be an issue with us still - on paper owing the deposit - I offered to over pay now and they could pay back or transfer the extra to OBC but they said their system can't do that )

TBH they should have and could have just cancelled and refunded the original booking and started from fresh. I agree, something that really shouldn't be complicated can become the most tedious of things to sort:eek:

otherwise they could have removed passengers 3 and 4 from the original booking, then changed the cabin over and done the second booking for the third and fourth passengers as a new reservation. There are so many ways they could have handled this more efficiently.

I really hope they sort out soon for you so you can relax before you sail. You will need a holiday after all of this;)

Edited by Spurschick

The Irish freephone sales number (you know, the number you call to hand over bundles of cash to them) hasn't been working for mobile phones for at least 6 months at this stage.

Fair's fair - after my rant the Irish number is now working again (I don't think the two are connected). Though someone put me on hold 8 minutes ago to check whether I was really sleeping alone... I think I'd probably have noticed if there was a strange man in the bed with me.

It sounds dead at first but if you wait for a few seconds it cuts in, for Royal Caribbean International press 1......

So it does.

I obviously haven't been waiting long enough for the speech to start (it is a long time).

That hold musak is loud and irritating. :(

At least i am not paying to listen to it.

I also got fed up with the Customer Service on the UK numbers and have now booked three cruises through a very popular US Travel Company. The prices were substantially cheaper that those in the UK and you can avoid bank currency conversion charges by getting a Prepaid $ Visa or MasterCard.

The phone calls to the US agent is free and I have found them to be exceptionally helpful. You may even get some OBC thrown in too.:D

I have booked one of next years in the UK though as we got a really good deal inc drinks and grats and the US site was only marginally cheaper without the drinks etc.:D:D:D

Sorry for the delay with the update. It's been a busy week.

I emailed mbayley@rccl.com and got a call back the same day from a really helpful lady in the UK, the problem was resolved and I was given onboard $ as a "goodwill gesture" for my troubles.

It's amazing how fast problems can be resolved when you use this email address to complain. Just wish it could have been resolved this quickly in the first place and then it would never have come to this.

Oh well all's well that ends well :rolleyes:

Sorry for the delay with the update. It's been a busy week.

I emailed mbayley@rccl.com and got a call back the same day from a really helpful lady in the UK, the problem was resolved and I was given onboard $ as a "goodwill gesture" for my troubles.

It's amazing how fast problems can be resolved when you use this email address to complain. Just wish it could have been resolved this quickly in the first place and then it would never have come to this.

Oh well all's well that ends well :rolleyes:

The is the OP and I have also just done this and I am pleased to confirm that my issues have now been sorted, I do have cabins on the ship lol- I have also been compensated for my call expenses (got the bill £27 worth) and my time.