bring two bottles of wine on board?

glentally

Just a few questions.

Is it two bottles per person?

Can I bring 1.5 liter bottles or is only the smaller bottles- 750 ml?

silly question but I will ask, why is it restricted to wine only. Any one ever get their wine bottle checked? Could I fill it with tequila?

One bottle per person :)

If you have apparatus that can re-seal the bottle really well, you could probably get away with sneaking tequila on in the wine bottle. But, do this at your own risk!

Sometimes when water bottles go through security during embarkation, they check the viscosity of them to see if it's actually liquor. Not always, but sometimes.

the rule states one bottle per person...one 750ml bottle, that is one regular size bottle of wine, and has to be in your carry on luggage.

Six years ago, we were able to get away with bringing a 2liter bottle each, that was in Miami port, and I think we were just lucky that time to get away with it. I have not tried to buck the system since then. I dont want to risk losing it. Even if I get it back the night before disembark, too late to enjoy it, and for me/us the next day have to make our way to the airport, and dont really want to have to lug it back home home again through airports, planes and customs.

One 750ml bottle per person in carry on luggage.

And for clarification (since this will be my first Carnival cruise); the corkage fee is applied on the wine bottles ONLY if you wish to consume them in the dining rooms, correct? No corkage fee for bringing a bottle to enjoy in your room.

Just making sure.... :)

I guess we just got a lazy inspector when we went on our last cruise! LOL My husband had both of our bottles in his carry one. (one for him and one for me). We got separated in the security line and was WAY ahead of me. I thought for sure they would've told him "only one" since I was nowhere to be seen, but nope. Had two bottles of wine in his carry on and no questions asked.

And for clarification (since this will be my first Carnival cruise); the corkage fee is applied on the wine bottles ONLY if you wish to consume them in the dining rooms, correct? No corkage fee for bringing a bottle to enjoy in your room.

Just making sure.... :)

correct!

As to whether or not you could refill a wine bottle with tequila, the answer is yes. HOWEVER, I suggest you color match, as I have had folks hold our wine bottles up to the light and examine them closely. Tequila in a Pinot noir bottle will likely get confiscated.

Not all ports check all bottles. On some cruises I have had every water bottle shaken and on others they never even asked to see any of our liquids. Luck of the draw I guess. Depends on the port, the inspector, the profile of the passenger, good mood, bad mood, hangover, etc etc etc. In other words, there really is no rhyme or reason.

Bob

Not all ports check all bottles. On some cruises I have had every water bottle shaken and on others they never even asked to see any of our liquids. Luck of the draw I guess. Depends on the port, the inspector, the profile of the passenger, good mood, bad mood, hangover, etc etc etc. In other words, there really is no rhyme or reason.

Bob

I agree there is little rhyme or reason but I will say Galveston seems to really check the water carefully.

My suggestion to everyone is please follow the rules. If you are unsure ask as OP did or log on to Carnivals web site.

I suspect Carnival will eventually stop carry on wine, water, and soft drinks. It takes extra time to check everything. I don't see them removing the rules and letting it be a carry on anything you want. That would decrease revenue.

I agree there is little rhyme or reason but I will say Galveston seems to really check the water carefully

Yes, Galveston was one of the places that looked carefully at both of our wine bottles.

Bob

Bob

we are going out of San Juan

Just a few questions.

silly question but I will ask, why is it restricted to wine only. Any one ever get their wine bottle checked? Could I fill it with tequila?

As the OP thanks for the answers. If it is only two bottles and only the 750 l size there will be no tequila ! DW will have both bottles for her.

The reason I starting asking was the price of a bottle in the bon voyage is like $27. I asked DW and she says you get three glasses of wine out of a small bottle. So doing the quick math 3 glasses at the bar with tip is going to be about $24 so why bother? Ideas? Comments?

Well nothing to lose if you wanna try it.

Use 4 carry on bags and put 1 in each and roll the dice!

I would use separate lines if possible. you on one wife on another

Worse that can happen is you pick the 2 that got snagged at the end of the cruise

:)

Edited by limoguy1

... The reason I starting asking was the price of a bottle in the bon voyage is like $27. I asked DW and she says you get three glasses of wine out of a small bottle. So doing the quick math 3 glasses at the bar with tip is going to be about $24 so why bother? Ideas? Comments?

Meaning no disrespect to your wife, "glentally," but a 750-milliliter bottle of wine yields five glasses, rather than three, if they are poured correctly (as they are poured, by properly trained people, on cruise ships).

People who are accustomed to drinking from full (or nearly full) glasses of water, milk, soft drinks, or beer can mistakenly overfill a wine glass, thus resulting in getting only three glassfuls from a bottle. A wine glass is supposed to be filled only up to its point of widest diameter -- even though that can seem to be only the 60% point.

Edited by jg51

I suspect Carnival will eventually stop carry on wine, water, and soft drinks. It takes extra time to check everything. I don't see them removing the rules and letting it be a carry on anything you want. That would decrease revenue.

They tried that several years ago

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1985

Then reversed the decision a month later

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2026

Meaning no disrespect to your wife, "glentally," but a 750-milliliter bottle of wine yields five glasses, rather than three, if they are poured correctly (as they are poured, by properly trained people, on cruise ships).

People who are accustomed to drinking from full (or nearly full) glasses of water, milk, soft drinks, or beer can mistakenly overfill a wine glass, thus resulting in getting only three glassfuls from a bottle. A wine glass is supposed to be filled only up to its point of widest diameter -- even though that can seem to be only the 60% point.

Good info to know thanks, I will correct her but not on Mothers day!

Well nothing to lose if you wanna try it.

Use 4 carry on bags and put 1 in each and roll the dice!

I would use separate lines if possible. you on one wife on another

Worse that can happen is you pick the 2 that got snagged at the end of the cruise

:)

can you get them at the end of the cruise? I thought they make you take them back to your car or throw out since you aren't on the ship?

I agree there is little rhyme or reason but I will say Galveston seems to really check the water carefully.

QUOTE]

Since we live in Houston, most of our trips are out of Galveston. Every time we've been through our wine bottles were inspected. Anyone with water and soda were also being screened carefully.

Going out of San Juan, you can carry on a liquor store and they will likely not even check it. There is even a liquor store in the pier just 20 feet away from the security checkpoint. If they do check it, they will tag it for you to turn in at a table when you get off the gangway, but everyone knows to remove the tag in the gangway.

No one knows the reason for the lack of enforcement in San Juan. Some say it is the culture, some say it is the port intensive itinerary and Carnival does not concern itself with alcohol revenue compared to other cruises. As someone who spent $2,800 on the cruise, $1,500 in airfare, and another $500 in pre-cruise hotel and expenses, it was nice to not be hassled over carrying on a $20 bottle of rum.

We sailed out of San Juan last summer. They seriously do not care as far as I could tell. You have to walk through a maze of vendors selling liquor to even get on the ship.

We carried two bottles of wine on and then re boarded with two more after touring San Juan. Both bottles were in my backpack and after going through security they gave my bag back with a huge neon orange zip-tie attached to it. I had no idea at the time why and walked right onto the ship while having a conversation with my husband about what the zip-tie meant!

I didn't know until I got home and read it on CC. The inspectors had to have seen it and possibly even heard me talking about it but nobody stopped me or said a word! I would have gladly explained that one of the bottles was my husband's and had the zip-tie removed. Instead I spent the entire cruise carrying a backpack that marked me as a booze smuggler!

Just a few questions.

One per. 750ML. Champagne instead is OK. Yes, people we know have been caught and they take it.

I suggest that you use bota bag for underarm carry filled with your favorite liquor, AND the Rum Runner Flasks (booze bladders) that lay flat under clothes in luggage to bring on vast amounts of alcohol typically undetected. That is, if your unwilling to pay for the booze prices on board and don't mind if your caught and they take it at pier.

All have worked, and all have been caught according to 3rd party testimonies. It's hit or miss.