I have 2 questions for you please...

catzgirl

Hello again you helpful crew!

As above I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer for me...

1. I have at last got our paperwork re: our Charter flights from UK to Greece, which is roughly 3.5hr flight, and this is where we embark the QV. The paperwork states that we have to check in 3 hours before our flight? does this seem to be a long time to you guys? when we normally go on holiday it is 2 hours at the most?

2. Luggage allowance. I called our tour operator to ask if I could buy extra baggage allowance, but because it's a charter flight with BA, it seems I cant...

Don't quite know why not with BA, as I have done so with other Charter flights when cruised with P&O?.... anyway, she said she would check for me and give me a call back once she had spoken to airline, she did call back to say that was correct, but I could take up to 23k hand luggage!!! but only if I could get it into a 'cabin approved luggage case' and could lift into overhead space. I did query this with her but she stated this was right... I know I wont need/get this into a hand luggage case but it's worth knowing that I'm not restricted to 5kg, has anyone else come across this?

Thanks...

Hello again you helpful crew!

As above I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer for me...

1. I have at last got our paperwork re: our Charter flights from UK to Greece, which is roughly 3.5hr flight, and this is where we embark the QV. The paperwork states that we have to check in 3 hours before our flight? does this seem to be a long time to you guys? when we normally go on holiday it is 2 hours at the most?

2. Luggage allowance. I called our tour operator to ask if I could buy extra baggage allowance, but because it's a charter flight with BA, it seems I cant...

Don't quite know why not with BA, as I have done so with other Charter flights when cruised with P&O?.... anyway, she said she would check for me and give me a call back once she had spoken to airline, she did call back to say that was correct, but I could take up to 23k hand luggage!!! but only if I could get it into a 'cabin approved luggage case' and could lift into overhead space. I did query this with her but she stated this was right... I know I wont need/get this into a hand luggage case but it's worth knowing that I'm not restricted to 5kg, has anyone else come across this?

Thanks...

Charter?:eek:

Make note to self.

Next Cruise upgrade to Sheduled BA, Business you get two suitcases plus 23 kilos of hand, then on Coach you can purchase extra luggage and stil have 23 kilos of hand .

Peace of mind and problems solved - simples:D

Charter?:eek:

Make note to self.

Next Cruise upgrade to Sheduled BA, Business you get two suitcases plus 23 kilos of hand, then on Coach you can purchase extra luggage and stil have 23 kilos of hand .

Peace of mind and problems solved - simples:D

That's for the next trip I think!

I've done a fly cruise with a BA charter and it was all economy, I think we had 10Kg hand luggage allowance with no option to buy extra.

We managed OK, we were just under the allowance.

We were also given a 3 hr check-in time, in the end I think we got there just over 2 hours early (I think I asked a similar question at the time !), it depends how busy your airport is and how long the queue for security. We went from Heathrow which was fine, where is your flight from ?

Thanks...

We have found the same problem with our charter flight from Manchester to Istanbul but with Titan airline. We love Cunard for the formal dinners and dress code, etc. but they don't seem to have taken on board that to fulfil their dress code many women (I know not all) certainly need more than 20kg of clothes etc. last summer we each took two cases and hand luggage, to halve that is going to be very difficult and result in repeat wearing of outfits which although is possible isn't my preference.

Depending on where you are boarding may mean you can use the white star luggage service but this wasn't a possibility for us as they don't provide the service to Istanbul ports.

I will be interested to hear if anyone finds ways to get around this once the med season starts.

Tangoqueen,

Yes, it's going to be a bit of a struggle for evening outfits, and as you say, a repeat outfit may be necessary :( .... I can't think why BA wouldn't let you purchase extra luggage allowance, what's it to them.... Just don't get it!

Hattie,

Just read through your post, we are staying in the T5 hotel, so will only have to walk under the covered walkway to the check in desks, so I think 2 hours will be plenty..

I'm still waiting for some informed person re: the 23k hand luggage, if that's the case I will be sitting on my hand luggage case to zip it up!! leaving my husband to lift of course ;) Did they weigh your hand luggage Hattie?

To be honest I can't remember, I think she told us they didn't worry too much about the weight but I wouldn't want you to end up having to repack at check-in ! I know I packed all our shoes in my hand luggage and my arms were aching a bit. The flight was full so overhead locker space was a bit tight.

How long is your trip ?

Yes, hand luggage with BA is 23kg, has been for a while now, but the size restrictions are still in place so unless you are carrying gold bars cramming 23kg in is unlikely. Still, at least it stops you having to worry about the hand luggage weight any longer.

From BA's website:

1 x cabin bag 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels. 1 x personal bag 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

• Maximum weight per bag is up to 23kg (51lbs).
  • You must be able to fit your bags into the baggage gauge at check in.
  • Any items you purchase at the airport, including duty free, form part of your hand baggage allowance. If you go over your allowance of 2 bags, you may have to check in one of your extra bags, for which there may be a charge.
  • Occasionally we may not have space to stow all hand baggage safely on board and you may be asked to check in some or all of your hand baggage at the boarding gate. Please make sure your hand baggage is within the size and weight limits shown, otherwise you will be charged for extra baggage.

Edited by milamber

To be honest I can't remember, I think she told us they didn't worry too much about the weight but I wouldn't want you to end up having to repack at check-in ! I know I packed all our shoes in my hand luggage and my arms were aching a bit. The flight was full so overhead locker space was a bit tight.

How long is your trip ?

We are going for just the 2 weeks :( wish it were longer, but work interferes!! ;)

Hand luggage in UK does not get weighed unless they reckon its too heavy, they can tell, must be experience:eek: it is also nearly always just the one bag, so handbag/purse goes into it, computer, ipad brolly etc all in.

3 hours is recommended mostly to get through security if its really busy and theres a panic on.

Yes, hand luggage with BA is 23kg, has been for a while now, but the size restrictions are still in place so unless you are carrying gold bars cramming 23kg in is unlikely. Still, at least it stops you having to worry about the hand luggage weight any longer.

From BA's website:

1 x cabin bag 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels. 1 x personal bag 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

• Maximum weight per bag is up to 23kg (51lbs).
  • You must be able to fit your bags into the baggage gauge at check in.
  • Any items you purchase at the airport, including duty free, form part of your hand baggage allowance. If you go over your allowance of 2 bags, you may have to check in one of your extra bags, for which there may be a charge.
  • Occasionally we may not have space to stow all hand baggage safely on board and you may be asked to check in some or all of your hand baggage at the boarding gate. Please make sure your hand baggage is within the size and weight limits shown, otherwise you will be charged for extra baggage.

You are a STAR! Thank you so much...... Like you say, unless it's gold bars, I don't think I'll hit that weight, but can still squeeze in another dress or 2! ;)