Health Questionnaire

I'm a new cruiser, so forgive my questions, and an apology up front if this has been covered multiple times on this forum!!

I downloaded the "Public Health Questionnaire" and I'm wondering...will a person with a generic "cold" or an attack of seasonal allergies be cleared to travel? And before someone asks if I saw/read the statement "You will be allowed to travel, unless you are suspected to have an illness of international public health concern," let me state that I did. It just seems with the likelihood of 3,000 people traveling on a ship would mean at least 5-10% may have minor symptoms of something that's not threatening! (Of course, I'm fairly sure not all 3,000 people will be truthful!)

What have experienced travelers seen? Sailing in 2 weeks, and praying for good health!

I am going to speculate that a lot of people do fib just a bit on those questionnaires if they suspect that they may be feeling the beginnings of a common cold or something of the like. I will further speculate that unless a person is obviously ill at check-in time, you won't be denied boarding. Personally, my family has never been in that position so I can't tell you what we have experienced. I will tell you however that no matter how many times you wash your hands or use the hand sanitizing dispensers, if there's someone out there onboard with a virus and your number is up, you will catch it during the cruise. I know because it just happened to me on Radiance the day before debarkation. And I washed my hands furiously and never missed a Purell station but still got sick the day before the cruise ended. :mad:

I'm a new cruiser, so forgive my questions, and an apology up front if this has been covered multiple times on this forum!!

I downloaded the "Public Health Questionnaire" and I'm wondering...will a person with a generic "cold" or an attack of seasonal allergies be cleared to travel? And before someone asks if I saw/read the statement "You will be allowed to travel, unless you are suspected to have an illness of international public health concern," let me state that I did. It just seems with the likelihood of 3,000 people traveling on a ship would mean at least 5-10% may have minor symptoms of something that's not threatening! (Of course, I'm fairly sure not all 3,000 people will be truthful!)

What have experienced travelers seen? Sailing in 2 weeks, and praying for good health!

We sailed a couple months ago with my stepson and his friend (who was also new to cruising)

We went thru different lines at check-in and the friend checked the [yes] to have you had any recent bouts of diarrhea (or whatever it asks about that)

The guy at the check-in counter asked him if it was normal or not. ummm what do you consider normal would be my question!! However, the kid explained that he is lactose intolerant and had over his limit yesterday! The guy said we appreciate your honesty but we'd rather have you sign a new form checking [No]

Poor kid felt so embarrassed

This theme has been discussed on several threads, call it a "formality" required in this day and age.

IMHO they are looking for those to come forth with the stuff they really are worried; Norovirus, ebola etc. etc. :eek: Common cold not going to be one of the things you won't be allowed on the ship for. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask where you downloaded the questionnaire?

Can I ask where you downloaded the questionnaire?

You can find a pre-boarding questionnaire on the CLIA web site (cruising.org) but after looking at it just now, I don't believe it's the same one we filed out a month ago prior to boarding Radiance.

I am going to speculate that a lot of people do fib just a bit on those questionnaires if they suspect that they may be feeling the beginnings of a common cold or something of the like. I will further speculate that unless a person is obviously ill at check-in time, you won't be denied boarding. Personally, my family has never been in that position so I can't tell you what we have experienced. I will tell you however that no matter how many times you wash your hands or use the hand sanitizing dispensers, if there's someone out there onboard with a virus and your number is up, you will catch it during the cruise. I know because it just happened to me on Radiance the day before debarkation. And I washed my hands furiously and never missed a Purell station but still got sick the day before the cruise ended. :mad:

Ditto except we have never gotten sick in 15 cruises.... Just a matter of time....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk